Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireplace ashes on the grass?

Options
  • 22-12-2011 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Fireplace ashes on the grass? What do you reckon? Is it any good for it?

Wood, coal and slack, nothing else. Nothing toxic etc.

There doesn't seem to be a conclusive answer on it any where?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

coal is a definite no-no, especially if you're using the ash near where you'd grow food. coal has heavy metals in it, so it definitely is toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭lar203

Thanks for that i have been putting in a hen house area

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Cork Skate wrote: »
    Fireplace ashes on the grass? What do you reckon? Is it any good for it?

Wood, coal and slack, nothing else. Nothing toxic etc.

There doesn't seem to be a conclusive answer on it any where?
    I read a piece in a Victorian gardening book on this subject ages ago - it said that the only fire ash that was of any value was that which from young wood i.e. branch wood.
    I've noticed that wherever I scatter ashes regularly (only wood ash), nettles inevitably crop up. I can't remember which chemicals are indicated by the presence of nettles.
    I would imagine that ashes would not be great for the soil structure in a lawn. They certainly wouldn't assist free drainage, which is one of the key factors in achieving a good lawn. When wet, ashes are awfully sticky too.
    There's no harm at all in adding ash to your compost heap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 brenbro

Any form of wood ash would be very good for your flowers as it is high in potassium which is good for any flowering plants,
    You can spread some ash on the grasss but very lightly,
    Any other Question's
    Please pm me ,
    Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I have heard of using coal soot to fumigate carrots of carrot fly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement