Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stagnant Progression- Where to go from here?

Options
  • 22-12-2011 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭

Okay I've been learning guitar for a few years now however the last year or two (or three) I really haven't gotten any better, bar my ear getting a bit better. I can play pretty much any song that's chords, and I comfortable enough with the rhythm of most songs. I'm fairly ok with fingerstyle (can play blackbird,stairway to heaven etc).

I tried using Justinguitar.com for a while but because I knew bits and pieces of a lot of lesson's I struggled to motivate myself. I'm just wondering whether I should go justinguitar.com and just start from the intermediate method or what? I'd quite like to learn to play by ear as well, so any good sites for this would be a great help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

This is something that all musicians go through at various times through their lives. It is simply a matter of gaining some direction and goals. I think you need to decide what you want to achieve? You need to set yourself targets and see how to achieve them in small steps. This always keeps you moving, doing new things, thinking about music and your instrument in new ways all the time.
    I'll have a stab that you want to learn to solo effectively? I would advise learning your scales and some theory, this will really help you unlock a deeper understanding of music. It will enable you to see what works and more importantly why it works.
    Learning songs by ear is something that is very important. You should choose a song (not too complicated to begin with) and learn it by ear, all the parts, bass line, chords and solo. Don't worry about how long it could take, even get some software to slow down recordings so you can play along a reduced pulse until you can gradually play them faster.
    Another thing that could help would be getting a teacher. Being self taught is going to take longer. Having someone give you direction really helps keep you developing. It can also help put some perspective on your progress. You don't get good overnight but over time. Also, don't kid yourself thinking you're practising when you're just playing songs that you know backwards. You need to challenge yourself all the time so that once you have achieved that song or solo or riff, it will feel worth it. This is not to say only practice songs until you can play them (there is always things to improve on).
    One of the best things you can do is play with other (especially more experienced) musicians. You can hear how they play, feel the interaction of the instruments and feed of each other. This is one of the best learning environments there is. Go start or join a band and do plenty of gigs.
    The main thing though, is to have fun. If you aren't enjoying playing then it will be a chore to practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

eoin_mcg wrote: »
    This is something that all musicians go through at various times through their lives. It is simply a matter of gaining some direction and goals. I think you need to decide what you want to achieve? You need to set yourself targets and see how to achieve them in small steps. This always keeps you moving, doing new things, thinking about music and your instrument in new ways all the time.
    I'll have a stab that you want to learn to solo effectively? I would advise learning your scales and some theory, this will really help you unlock a deeper understanding of music. It will enable you to see what works and more importantly why it works.
    Learning songs by ear is something that is very important. You should choose a song (not too complicated to begin with) and learn it by ear, all the parts, bass line, chords and solo. Don't worry about how long it could take, even get some software to slow down recordings so you can play along a reduced pulse until you can gradually play them faster.
    Another thing that could help would be getting a teacher. Being self taught is going to take longer. Having someone give you direction really helps keep you developing. It can also help put some perspective on your progress. You don't get good overnight but over time. Also, don't kid yourself thinking you're practising when you're just playing songs that you know backwards. You need to challenge yourself all the time so that once you have achieved that song or solo or riff, it will feel worth it. This is not to say only practice songs until you can play them (there is always things to improve on).
    One of the best things you can do is play with other (especially more experienced) musicians. You can hear how they play, feel the interaction of the instruments and feed of each other. This is one of the best learning environments there is. Go start or join a band and do plenty of gigs.
    The main thing though, is to have fun. If you aren't enjoying playing then it will be a chore to practice.

Thanks man, great advice. I do have the problem of when I pick up the guitar I just play what I already know, which I know is not in any way helping me improve in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Echoes675

Yeah man, I know exactly where you're at. It just takes some motivation and determination to get moving. Once you see all the things there are to work on there's plenty to keep you going! Happy shedding!

BTW I used to noodle on guitar but may main axe is Sax!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭clonmahon

eoin_mcg wrote: »

Brilliant post, covers most of the bases. The only thing I would add is to look at different styles of guitar playing, like blues, jazz, trad, slide etc. Also check out different tunings.

clonmahon wrote: »
    Brilliant post, covers most of the bases. The only thing I would add is to look at different styles of guitar playing, like blues, jazz, trad, slide etc. Also check out different tunings.

Wouldn't worry about that, I have probably the most varied taste in music in the world so I'm always looking into different genres.

Think I'm going to go for the Intermediate Method on justinguitar.com, it seem's structured enough to keep me on the right path so here's hoping, also got a ukelele today, so going to be learning to play that aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ha I'm in the same boat OP... Started basically the same thread fairly recently too :p

I think I'm going to get some lessons with a good teacher soon enough. Can't decide whether to get guitar or piano lessons though! :D hmmm

I'm also looking to dip my toe in with playing in a band/with other musicians, would probably be a good shout.

What kind of music you into?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭paligulus1

As well as doing all the things that the other posters recommend, may I suggest getting a cheap loop pedal (or using some PC software to achieve the same effect).

It is a brilliant practice tool. I have the RC-20 and RC-50, and while I got them for playing, I have found them to be an amazing practice tool for improving your lead and advanced rhythm techniques.

Cheers

paligulus1 wrote: »
    As well as doing all the things that the other posters recommend, may I suggest getting a cheap loop pedal (or using some PC software to achieve the same effect).

It is a brilliant practice tool. I have the RC-20 and RC-50, and while I got them for playing, I have found them to be an amazing practice tool for improving your lead and advanced rhythm techniques.

Cheers

Have looked into getting a loop pedal already, will hopefully be getting one in the not to distant future.

Anyone know anything about the guitar grades, is there any books I could get which show what theory/ knowledge you need for each grade, I wouldn't mind working towards some recognition of some sort. I though it might be a good way of furthering my knowledge.

Edit: I found this website www.rgt.org/ . This be any good for me?

Advertisement