Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

language? neccasary

• 22-12-2011 8:35pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 93 ✭✭

hey im just wondering if many colleges require a foreign language to get into a course. im doing french atm at higher lvl but it will require a lot of effort to keep it and get a honours grade.

even if i do nothing related to a language ie. maths in college, will i not be accepted if i dont have french. im aiming for 500+ points in the leaving and was wondering should i ditch french as i could and take up another subject.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Yeah, a lot of colleges like Trinity and UCD require a language for matriculation purposes. Pretty sure it can be OL though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

there's different requirements depending on where you want to go. the National University of Ireland's (NUI) stipulation is for maths, english and irish and one other foreign language unless you get an exemption from irish due to being born outside of the country.
    in answer directly to your question, you can do french at ordinary level and get into university. all that will matter is if you have enough points. some courses have stipulations such as grades in maths and irish where it would be important to still be in HL.
    the ITs have totally different requirements. they dont require a foreign language at all or irish (just looked at IT carlow). best thing to do is to choose your course in general and then research a few different places to attend. each course will have their requirements outlined. also trinity doesn't require irish, just two foreign languages along with maths and english.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

If you're going to Uni and are doing something science or engineering related you dont need a foreign language.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭not_so_civil

If you're going to Uni and are doing something science or engineering related you dont need a foreign language.

not always true, it depends completly on the course. Some science courses still require a 3rd language, especially health sciences. Unis would be the strictest for it as they think it shows broader ability if you have both a language and a science. But theyre usually satisfied by ordinary level C's. Only way to know is to check individual requirements. ITs don't require a language at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

You need your pass in French (either at HL or OL) in order to get into any University in Ireland, and some ITs. Regardless of the course or points, this is a matriculation requirement.

Just because it's a Maths related course does not change the matriculation requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

bscm wrote: »
    You need your pass in French (either at HL or OL) in order to get into any University in Ireland, and some ITs. Regardless of the course or points, this is a matriculation requirement.

Just because it's a Maths related course does not change the matriculation requirements.

This is not true. It used to be true of the NUI colleges, but a few years ago the NUI changed their matriculation requirements. On P.13 of their booklet describing the matriculation requirements, it says:
    "For entry to the Colleges/Faculties of Engineering and Science any other subject accepted for Matriculation Registration purposes may be substituted for the Third Language."

In the case of TCD, you will see from their matriculation requirements, you do not need a third language. You need a pass in English and a pass in a language other than English. So, if you pass both English and Irish, then you don't need another language.

There are course-specific requirements as well, but they tend to be pretty directly related to the course.

You can use qualifax.ie to search for courses that do/don't have various requirements. Under the "useful tools", go to "minimum subject requirements".
    Using a drop-down menuu, you can search for course that do (or don't) require a third language. You can restrict the search to particular institutions if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

You can use qualifax.ie to search for courses that do/don't have various requirements. Under the "useful tools", go to "minimum subject requirements".
    Using a drop-down menuu, you can search for course that do (or don't) require a third language. You can restrict the search to particular institutions if you want.

that sounds like a great site....good job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

You'd be well advised to keep a language, even just at ordinary (I also don't think anyone should be dropping levels until 6th year imo) and I'll tell you why. As far as I can remember you're only 15. In 3 years time or so when you do the leaving, you could want to be a French and History teacher. When I was 15, I hated French and was convinced I wanted to do science, now I actually want to do French in uni! What I'm saying is leave all your doors open, you have no idea who you'll be in a year or two. :)

Advertisement