Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else afraid of flying?

• 22-12-2011 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I am getting a flight tomorrow morning at 8am and am already dreading it. I never had a problem with it until I went on a flight with a friend years ago and she was a total panic merchant. Ever since, I get really paranoid.

I've got four hours to wait at the airport as well, as my bus gets me in at 4am :(

Anyone else paranoid about flying?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Get locked. That's what everyone who hates flying does.

Or do what everyone else who hates flying does and go to your doc and get prescribed some Vitamin X. Really takes the edge off.

I'm a pilot btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Take an antihistamine and a couple of pints. You'll sleep through the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

No.... but if it helps , try not think about the flight until you are actually boarding the plane (books and Ipods help distract ) then switch gear and pretend it's just a bus or train ride you are going on .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

No I'm afraid of crashing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭lar203

I hate it ,just sitting there thinking of the 100000s of parts and the 1000s of people that work on this tin can 30,000 feet up had a bad day im fecked.i get the boat,try them small bottles of wine i fine 2or3chills me out but i think ba was right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I am only going to the UK, so a short flight, but still...

I made the mistake of once looking in the cockpit when boarding and seeing all the little lights flashing. That was the worst flight of my life.

No chance I will sleep on the flight. I have tried that before and no chance. I have in the past made a point of telling the person next to me I am a nervous flyer and would they mind talking to me as we take off. I am a nightmare, I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I'm terrified of flying.
    Don't reckon my arms are strong enough, they'll probably get tired after five mins or so cos i'm a big wuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

No, i love flying. Hurtling through the sky at 30.000 feet in an aliminium tube at 500mph knowing that at any moment its possible to plunge to your death into the icy ocean below is exhilarating.
    Sorry OP

but seriously, it's not a myth that flying is the safest mode of transport in the world. But next time you're flying, go to the doctors and get some of those tablets to calm you, seeing as it's too late for that now, just get locked. you'll be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I personally love it. Especially take off and landing. But in saying that the odds get shorter each time you fly. But, in saying that- what's the point of worrying really. It's unavoidable if you are travelling a long distance.But if it's just to England why not get the ferry in future?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I love flying, but I'm an aircraft mechanic so 'twood look a bit sus I I was afraid of it!! The gf on the other hand is petrified, the worst I've ever seen!! We're flying to london for new year, can't wait to scare the ****e out of her again!!!

Edit: Does boards automatically censor words now??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

From an Aero Engineers perspective: it's all down to the pilot. they're the weakest link :P (sorry pilots, but the stats speak for themselves!)

from a structural point of view, aircraft are stupidly strong! The thickness and strengths specification is at LEAST 1.5 times as strong as it needs to be. every department adds it's own fudge factor. aerodynamics will round up the loads, weights will round up their loads, design will make everything thicker than it needs to be. Stress will add their own conservatism....etc...etc.

at the end of the process, the plane is over designed for even the worst possible case scenario.

And just because I think it's funny to be mean sometimes: a skin panel on an aircraft can be as little as 0.028"... that's 0.7mm. Go on, take out a ruler and look at that!!! haha!!! (still overkill mind you)

I decided to fly because obviously it is so much quicker than a ferry and then train. I am thinking now I'd happilly take the ferry.

I'll be OK. just hope I sit next to a 'talker' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I am getting a flight tomorrow morning at 8am and am already dreading it. I never had a problem with it until I went on a flight with a friend years ago and she was a total panic merchant. Ever since, I get really paranoid.

I've got four hours to wait at the airport as well, as my bus gets me in at 4am :(

Tomorrow aint a good day to fly.

Link

Guill wrote: »
    Tomorrow aint a good day to fly.

Link

Cheers for that.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Try logic. The safest part of your journey is the one your most afraid off. Commercial air travel is the safest method of travel. You're much more at risk on the bus or walking into the terminal
    Sky King wrote: »
    Get locked. That's what everyone who hates flying does.

Or do what everyone else who hates flying does and go to your doc and get prescribed some Vitamin X. Really takes the edge off.

So pilots are all p!ssed or out of it:eek: It's a good job that planes fly themselves :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

The aul Xanex&Valium lottery is your friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

My sister gets awfully panicky on flights as well. She uses Kalms tablets, they're natural pills that I'm pretty sure you can buy OTC. I think they work the same way as Rescue Remedy.

Also when my sister panics on a flight, I just remind her of all the flights that happen everyday across the world that you never hear about, because they're completely uneventful and reach their destinations safely :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Sometimes.

One minute I'm like. Ah nice.. look at the clouds on the TV.. WAIT! THAT'S A ****ING WINDOW... calm down deep breaths... calm....

... OH JESUS I'M IN PRESSURIZED TUBE DOING 500 MILES AN HOUR 10 THOUSAND METERS UP...

relax... that's what these things are designed for....

ad infinitum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I love flying. Flew for the first time on my own a few years ago and love that even more than flying with mates and family who always chat to you when you're trying to listen to music or read.

Looking out the window above the clouds and listening to your fav album is awesome! :)

• Advertisement

Well Del I am not a commercial pilot, and alcohol is a big no-no for those actually flying the plane, but since Sunflower is not a pilot, I prescribe eight large glasses of Chilean Merlot.

She'll be flyin' then alright.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Well Del I am not a commercial pilot, and alcohol is a big no-no for those actually flying the plane, but since Sunflower is not a pilot, I prescribe eight large glasses of Chilean Merlot.

She'll be flyin' then alright.:)
    Just don't go overboard as its legal to drink on a plane but illegal to be drunk!!:rolleyes:
    Pilot here also.

The panic sets in when I start thinking there is 30,000 ft of space underneath my feet. It brings on a mini panic attack.

I like the idea of the Kalms tablets, will see if I can get them at the airport.

Sometimes.

One minute I'm like. Ah nice.. look at the clouds on the TV.. WAIT! THAT'S A ****ING WINDOW... calm down deep breaths... calm....

... OH JESUS I'M IN PRESSURIZED TUBE DOING 500 MILES AN HOUR 10 THOUSAND METERS UP...

relax... that's what these things are designed for....

ad infinitum.

Report altitude in feet if you dont want to be considered a noob or French...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

The panic sets in when I start thinking there is 30,000 ft of space underneath my feet. It brings on a mini panic attack.

I like the idea of the Kalms tablets, will see if I can get them at the airport.

It's not the space you need to worry about, it's crashing into the ground and your body being turned to mush.

Seriously though, you've a better chance of winning the Lotto than being involved in a plane crash.

Report altitude in feet if you dont want to be considered a noob or French...

Flight level in Chuck's instance surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

F*ckin' petrified. The only thing that helps are breathing techniques, mantras and maybe rescue remedy. Oh and plenty of whiskies. :pac:

One of the worst flights I ever went on was in Australia. I remember looking out at the plane and thinking 'ah, that's not that small'. It then moved out of the way to reveal a 12-seater plane that looked like it was powered by remote control.

The cockpit was partitioned off with a curtain.

At least this won't be that bad :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Nope. They say you're far more likely to die in a car crash than a plane crash. I was on a Cork Cardiff flight in 2009. We began taxiing and a girl had a complete meltdown. We had to return to the terminal so she could be taken off the plane.

I was working with this English girl in Alberta over the summer. She had to go back to the UK and was flying Toronto-London. She was terrified of flying. You can fly London-Calgary (which was 2 and a half hour drive away from where we were). Toronto was 2 days away on a bus from where we were but she preferred to take the bus to Toronto rather than re-book her flight from Calgary and add an extra 2/3 hours to her flight to London. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Just allow the calmness of the other 100's of flyers to affect you the same way your freaked out friend did. This will be the last light you will ever feel anticipation about.

Flight level in Chuck's instance surely?

Ah touché! I'm here on board while pre-drinking for later.....but I'l be sticking to my personal 24 hours between bottle and throttle;)
    Violent hangovers!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

I hate flying too. Like really really hate it. Bout ten years ago i had a panic attack and started getting out of my seat at take off cause i thought i was going to die....the air hostesses had to come and mind me. Then later on they took me into the cock pit (this was pre nine 11!) so the pilot could explain how it all works (i was about 23....)

now i am not so bad, i hold rosary beads, take rescue remedy and valuim if i have to take a flight(which i avoid mostly):)

i can never sleep on the plane as i am concentrating on gripping onto the armrests so hard in order to keep it in the air:p. Wouldnt ya hate to sit beside me???!

The best trick i can offer ya is to always sit where you can watch the air hostesses(their job is more important than the pilot in my opinion for the following reason) if they look ok then i feel ok. If they look confused/alarmed then i will start screaming 'we're all going to die in this metal coffin'

when i land i feel seriously like i have cheated death....i have kids now and i would hate to pass on my fears to them because it is a horrendous thing to be frightened of so when i fly with them i try to 'act normal' even though periodically the fear wells up inside me.

Take comfort in the fact you have actually very very slim chances of dying on a plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I am not afraid of it, I just don't like it, it has to be 1 of the most uncomfortable way of travelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

One of the worst flights I ever went on was in Australia. I remember looking out at the plane and thinking 'ah, that's not that small'. It then moved out of the way to reveal a 12-seater plane that looked like it was powered by remote control.

The cockpit was partitioned off with a curtain.

At least this won't be that bad :D

I was doiing my skydive in OZ. We turned the corner to see this dinky little plane with the pilot under it trying to fix something :eek:

Still didnt put the fear in me :)

You'll be grand if you take something for your nerves and get stuck into a good book so you dont even notice you're flying. Hope you have a great trip away :)

I flew to New York a few years ago and the turbulence was really bad. My eyes were darting around the plane and everyone else seemed fine till I clocked eyes with another panicked flyer. That was a moment I'll never forget!!!

• Advertisement

Kiera wrote: »
    I was doiing my skydive in OZ. We turned the corner to see this dinky little plane with the pilot under it trying to fix something :eek:

You'll be grand if you take something for your nerves and get stuck into a good book so you dont even notice you're flying. Hope you have a great trip away :)

Fair play to you. i'd never skydive, or bunjee jump... I once went on one of those pirate ship rides that swing 360degrees. Never, ever again.

I know I sound like a big baby, but I really hate it.

Will keep in mind all everyone has said. It's only 50mins anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

I can say this hand on heart: When I die, i'd like to go by plane crash... would be like the most awesome rollercoaster ever, coupled with skydiving, a real adrenile pumping rush! and then you die instantly anyway!... could be worse!

What is the fear of flying all about? is it fear that the plane is going to fall out of the sky or am i missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Kiera wrote: »

:rolleyes: yeah right, why would you care about the plane, you had a parachute:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Only since 9/11 really.

I can say this hand on heart: When I die, i'd like to go by plane crash... would be like the most awesome rollercoaster ever, coupled with skydiving, a real adrenile pumping rush! and then you die instantly anyway!... could be worse!

What is the fear of flying all about? is it fear that the plane is going to fall out of the sky or am i missing something?

personaly i am scared of the following in this order.....
    1 the plane will nose dive into water and we will all drown slowly
    2 the engines fail when we are up high and the plane will be silent but we have to fall down out of the sky until we crash down
    3 the plane will spilt in two
    4 the wings will go on fire

hahah even when i am reading this i can see it is ridiculous but seriously the flight is a never ending circle of these thoughts only broken by the occaisional-what the **** is that sound

• Advertisement

I'm always the only one that ever takes notice of the emergency exits as well :D

Reading through the fear stories I can Identify with them as I have a phobia of public speaking myself(seriously, I have nearly fainted)

As a counter story I've had a pilots licence since I was 20 and first took control of an aircraft when I was 12! I love flying and cant see myself doing anything else for a career. My uncle is rated on fixed-wing and helicopters, and my Gran-uncle retired flying 747's for United Airlines out of Washington Dulles.
    There is something incredibly fulfilling being able to take your friend's flying around the ring of Kerry during the summer or flying from Orlando to Keywest over the Everglades. Best feeling in the world! :)

Do you think the seatbelts/emergency exits etc really would help if required??? Not trying to be smart, actually curious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

personaly i am scared of the following in this order.....
    1 the plane will nose dive into water and we will all drown slowly
    2 the engines fail when we are up high and the plane will be silent but we have to fall down out of the sky until we crash down
    3 the plane will spilt in two
    4 the wings will go on fire

Clearly you missed that awesome movie where the roof of the plane peels back like a can of sardines mid-air and people (seats included!) are sucked out the top at an alarming rate. You can make that #5 if you like. Merry Christmas.

Pilotdude5 wrote: »
    Reading through the fear stories I can Identify with them as I have a phobia of public speaking myself(seriously, I have nearly fainted)

As a counter story I've had a pilots licence since I was 20 and first took control of an aircraft when I was 12! I love flying and cant see myself doing anything else for a career. My uncle is rated on fixed-wing and helicopters, and my Gran-uncle retired flying 747's for United Airlines out of Washington Dulles.
    There is something incredibly fulfilling being able to take your friend's flying around the ring of Kerry during the summer or flying from Orlando to Keywest over the Everglades. Best feeling in the world! :)

thats mad! I think it sounds like the most unnatural thing in the world! God it would be fantastic to really enjoy it as you do:jealous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Not afraid of it but not overly mad about it either. Also hate the ear popping and that "dropping" sensation that happens every now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

My father worked for years as an aircraft engine mechanic and a licensed inspection engineer ...he had to retire early when he was diagnosed with Alzhiemers ...I often look up at those high flying aircraft and think was that one his and are the many little nuts and bolts we keep finding around the house important...

pow wow wrote: »
    Clearly you missed that awesome movie where the roof of the plane peels back like a can of sardines mid-air and people (seats included!) are sucked out the top at an alarming rate. You can make that #5 if you like. Merry Christmas.

haha nice try! I am only scared of what i am scared of! Isnt that what phobias are all about???!
    Like someone else mentioned 911 and i never think of that! (probably because of the awesome security mesures of no liquids in your bag/off topic wtf is that about????!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Not a bit scared of flying.

Statistically, you're more likely to be killed on the way to the airport.
    33c9jsm.jpg

I remember being on a flight not long after 9/11. I was sitting down the back of the plane and a guy wearing a turbin got up to go to the toilet.

I think he had 100 pairs of paranoid eyes on him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement