Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does not match any domain on the whitelist and the redirection has been stopped.

Options
  • 22-12-2011 11:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

The URL to redirect to (http://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&view=bsp&ver=xxxx) does not match any domain on the whitelist and the redirection has been stopped.
    (i replaced some things with xxxx in case it provides any info)

i get this when i click the link in emails from boards to unsubscribe from threads. i dont get it all the time but seem to get it randomly.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Probably better to post this in Site Development :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

vBulletin uses redirects a lot. For example, when you log in you get a landing page like "Thanks for logging in, <username>", which will then redirect you off to where you wanted to go. But what if the board is compromised, and sends you off to some other site? Well to counteract this there is a "whitelist" of sites that you can be redirected to. The whitelist is just boards.ie domains (e.g. m.boards.ie, touch.boards.ie etc).

Up until recently you would have gotten a simple error with the (rather unhelpful) text "invalid_url_redirect_x" which I replaced on Wednesday to the text you quoted above (Obviously the URL is specific to your own use case).

I believe what's happening is now that you've unsubscribed and hit a landing page, presumably with some text like "You have successfully unsubscribed", it's trying to redirect you back to gmail - but gmail isn't a boards.ie domain so you're not allowed to use vBulletin to get back there. I'm not sure the best solution is to just start banging addresses straight onto the whitelist either, it's something we'll have to think about; I personally think once you hit the landing page confirmed you've unsubscribed then that should be it; there should be no redirect necessary and you should just close the tab yourself :D

There's no need to be alarmed or worried about this, but that's for bringing it up; it appears the invalid_url_redirect_x thing was affecting more people than we thought :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

when i clicked the link in gmail it used to bring me to the boars page which removed my thread subscription and then redirect me to the thread i just unsubscribed from. this issue has not always existed for me and i do not ever remember a time when this redirected me to gmail.

im not sure if im misunderstanding you or youre misunderstanding me here but it seems like something youve done recently. ive never seen a invalid_url_redirect_x error that i can remember before.

The invalid redirect URL problem has been around for so long that it is the very first bug report filed when we switched issue tracker (Around July 2011).

vBulletin redirects users using the standard_redirect() function. For security reasons, in vBulletin 3.8.7 PL2 restrictions were put into place on where this function can send you, mainly so it can't be used to send you outside of the same domain vBulletin runs from (in this case, boards.ie). The only modification to this function is to make it accept m.boards.ie and any other subdomain we use in the future.

Somehow our script tried to send you back to gmail after you unsubscribed, which you're now telling me is not what usually happens. The subscriptions script was last modified on October 6th 2011,so how many times has this error happened to you since then?

I can confirm that I've since subscribed to several threads, and clicked the unsubscribe URL given to me in a notification and had no issues, the normal behaviour is as you describe, I was sent to the thread I'd just unsubscribed from.

i dont know how long the error was going on before i started this thread. it happens to me every time i try to unsubscribe via the link in the email these days though.

• Advertisement

Are you using gmail via web interface or via some client like Thunderbird/Outlook?
    What is your browser?
    What is your operating system?
    Any specific threads or all of them?
    Can you PM me the content of the mail you're getting?

Are you using gmail via web interface or via some client like Thunderbird/Outlook?
    gmail web interface (well, google apps but it all seems the same)
    What is your browser? ff901
    What is your operating system? xp
    Any specific threads or all of them? all of them
    Can you PM me the content of the mail you're getting? yes

I think I've identified why you're not going where you should, but since the file hasn't been modified in recent times I'm curious as to why this is the case.

I'll review it in the morning when I get into the office and near my dev server where I can hack away at the code without an angry mob descending on Site Development :P

review in the morning? wait til i tell your boss. i want this issue resolved by 1am and not a minute after!

No matter what I do I can't reproduce this error - not on Ubuntu or Windows nor with any browser. However it's a bit of an issue for you so I've asked Paddy to push a patch for what I suspect the problem is and it should resolve the issue.

Standard behaviour when coming from an email notification is to redirect the user to the homepage (as in the forum index), this will now be done explicitly instead of implicitly. I'm going to mark this as resolved, if you have any issue with it from later tonight (fix won't be deployed immediately) then please post back here again.

Danny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

The change is live, let us know if this resolves the issue.

ive tried it with one email and the issue seems to be resolved. ill keep an eye on it.

(looking back on my previous comments - when i said before it used to put me back to the thread i just unsub from that was incorrect. i remember now that it was the forum index it used to send me to.)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement