Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun crime in perspective

Options
  • 22-12-2011 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭

Some interesting figures on gun theft have been released on the Parliamentary Questions thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76077164&postcount=583

To put those figures in perspective, we have about 220,000 registered firearms in the country and gun thefts are reducing, down to 205 this year. That means that one gun per 1,073 is stolen.

Compare that figure to the most common killer in this country – the motor car. We have about 2,300,000 cars and vans registered in Ireland. Last year theft/taking of vehicle and related offences amount to 11,410. That means 1 car per 201 was stolen.

So, your car is more than FIVE times more likely to be stolen than your gun.

Deaths - This year the road death toll might just scrape in below 200. Last year there were 54 murders in Ireland, more than half of which was drug-related gangland crime, usually using guns imported with drug shipments.

Mr. Shatter, go figure.

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

It seems plainly obvious to anybody who is clever enuff to safely operate a spoon, that banning something, or making access to it so restricted that few take up the challenge, can only lead to its illegal acquisition for criminal purposes.

How many of those stolen guns were used to commit further crime, I wonder?

Here in yUK, where 99.9999% of all normal handguns were banned in 1997, people are still being killed with handguns that were never here before the ban.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

rowa wrote: »

it's a shame they did'nt post some of the other facts from gunpolicy.org

Number of Privately Owned Firearms
    The estimated total number of guns held by civilians in Ireland is 233,120 to 383,1201

Estimated Number of Illicit Firearms
    Unlawfully held guns cannot be counted, but in Ireland there are estimated to be 150,0002

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Just look at yesterdays seizure in Dublin Port for an example of how illegal guns are trafficked, This one was seized, how many got through?

Our eastern European 'friends' treat gun-smuggling as a hobby - Ireland is no different to any other part of what was called Western Europe as far as they are concerned.

In 2002 a vehicle that just looked 'rather odd' acccording to the customs official was detained and searched - the following interesting features were noted -

a. The tires were pumped up to about 120psi - it was found on inspection that the suspension had been welded solid.

b. This meant that it looked rather 'strange' as it went over the traffic 'bumps' and it was this that alerted the official.

c. The driver [who was black] had a Swedish passport.

d. The station wagon-style bodywork had been modified and contained the following -

1. 120 Skorpion submachine guns in original wrapping - no serial numbers.
    2. 8 RPG-7V rocket launchers.
    3. 24 rockets to suit.
    4. 15,000 rounds of ammunition for the Skorpions.

e. the driver had eight different non-British passports - ALL of which were actually genuine issued passports.

f. he also had a genuine UK passport.

The port concerned sees use by 10-14 thousand vehicles a day...

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

tac foley wrote: »
    anybody who is clever enuff to safely operate a spoon,

That's not funny; they're a serious health threat. Didn't you know spoons cause obesity?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

c. The driver [who was black] had a Swedish passport.

Bet you get sanctioned for that.

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    Bet you get sanctioned for that.

Just pointing out that not many natural-born vikings are actually black.

Redheads, like me, or blonde, but not 'Afro-Viking'...

Anyhow, I haven't a bone of racial prejudice in me, being half-Irish, half-Canadian and half-wit. Add to that being a ginger-headed Jew, and the prejudices of quite a few folks can be satisfied.

Anyhow, IF I get sanctioned, I can always call on the 'anti-semetic' card to get me off the hook.......

tac

PS - Ah, Jeebers, I plumb fergot t'mention, I'm left-handed, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Fcuk me tac, ever think about a job with the UN;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Just pointing out that not many natural-born vikings are actually black.

I havent sen many either to be honest;):D:D:D
    But you never know these days:rolleyes:
    The only i think of is the danes that the irish called Dubh-Gaill ("black foreigners")
    And the norwegians named as Finn-Gaill ("white foreigners")

• Advertisement

Longranger wrote: »
    Fcuk me tac, ever think about a job with the UN;)

Bin there, done that. Got the T-shirt. :=)

tac

Advertisement