Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skyrim trouble??

• 23-12-2011 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I bought skyrim for windows pc a few weeks ago and i havent been able to get it to work properly. Its fine for a few mins of gameplay but then gets very jumpy like its skipping a second or two every few seconds.
    I have an acer 5742 pc with 500 gb and 6 gb ram, it also has intel hd graphics so i dont know what would be causing this.
    Any info would be great!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I bought skyrim for windows pc a few weeks ago and i havent been able to get it to work properly. Its fine for a few mins of gameplay but then gets very jumpy like its skipping a second or two every few seconds.
    I have an acer 5742 pc with 500 gb and 6 gb ram, it also has intel hd graphics so i dont know what would be causing this.
    Any info would be great!
    Thanks!
    the intel hd graphics you mention would not be designed for this type of gaming i would imagine, you need a good dedicated graphics card to play games well.
    You can try going into the game settings and lowering them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

"Intel HD Graphics" means there's no graphics card. It's fine for videos and the like, rubbish for games. As said above, try lowering the settings and see if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ILoveJaneEyre

Ive put the settings to the lowest possible and still not working...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Ive put the settings to the lowest possible and still not working...
    you need a dedicated graphics card so , thats your only option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,715 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I find that even on crossfire it stutters in indoor environments but i have my settings cranked.

your problem would seem to be your GPU. or lack thereof. Sorry but you're SOL on the laptop. Are you inside of your satisfaction guarantee period? Usually bout 14-30 days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

That a laptop isn't it?, you ought to be able to run the game reasonably on low settings even with the HD3000.

Off the top of my head two things you could try, firstly download the latest drivers for the HD3000.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx?lang=eng

Secondly the game does a fair bit of streaming to and from the HDD while playing, so you could try defragment the game file in steam. (Right click on Skyrim, Goto ->Properties-> Local Files -> Defragment Cache File).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Another thing you can do to boost performance is run the game in fake windowed mode. Theres a mod on the nexus called Simple Borderless Window. The game loads in a window, then after 10 seconds or so it goes fullscreen. You still seem to get the performance boost from not running the application full screen. I used it for New Vegas too and it works well, stops alot of CTD's aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Use the ENB patch to fix this. Known 'freezing/stuttering' bug for some users.

(Note: doesn't work with Steam version, without addtional steps)

Download TES Skyrim v0.101 from:
    http://enbdev.com/download_en.htm

Doesn't modify existing files...it's more of a plugin and completely safe.

But as others above said, your graphics card (or lack of) may be the cause.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Just started playing Skyrim. But right at the very start, as soon as the guard shouts 'Dragon!' when the dragon lands on the tower, after the character selection, the game crashes to desktop. Anyone know whats causing it? Ive got a few Steam workshop mods on, I assume something is going awry there. Any way to turn em on or off to test which one is causing a glitch? Or is this a glitch caused by something else? Im running a 660ti so I dont think its a lack of juice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Andy!! wrote: »
    Just started playing Skyrim. But right at the very start, as soon as the guard shouts 'Dragon!' when the dragon lands on the tower, after the character selection, the game crashes to desktop. Anyone know whats causing it? Ive got a few Steam workshop mods on, I assume something is going awry there. Any way to turn em on or off to test which one is causing a glitch? Or is this a glitch caused by something else? Im running a 660ti so I dont think its a lack of juice.

Click the 'data files' option on the Skyrim launcher and uncheck all the mod files. Then launch the game. If it works then start re-applying them one by one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

If you're running Virtu MVP, try disabling it. I find it can interfere with some games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Intel HD3000 isn't good enough, if you go to NBC they have listings for the HD3000 paired with several different CPU's, even with a Quad i7, the best anyone could manage was 25fps average on lowest settings, with the average result with more mainsteam CPU's was about 17fps - I'm guessing with his CPU the OP falls into that category..

If you want to play games unfortunately your laptop isn't going to cut it for any new games of that type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

you could try setting the resolution lower. It will look like crap but might make it playable.

Advertisement