Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

North West Electronics/BlueBox

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Yeah you should all leave and give all the bandwidth to me! :D

Yeah when I first joined everything was fine. I used to do quite a bit of gaming, had a few issues with ping that were sorted but the last year things have gotten a lot worse. Hopefully they will sort it.

fooker! wrote: »
    I got my internet fixed, seems it was the Ethernet cable supplied with the bluebox it was bad enough to cause problems but not bad enough to make it stop completely, used a spare and it seems perfect now!

Nice one, yeah when the traces show the loss is in the house at least you have the advantage of being able to fix it yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

I am not having an issue with dropping packets, its just slow in the evenings :s

I live in Inishowen the only part of Donegal worth anything :P so me leaving would probably have no impact on you guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭fooker!

chris_ie wrote: »
    Nice one, yeah when the traces show the loss is in the house at least you have the advantage of being able to fix it yourself!

Thanks for the help!

I am not having an issue with dropping packets, its just slow in the evenings :s

I live in Inishowen the only part of Donegal worth anything :P so me leaving would probably have no impact on you guys!

Ah dunno about that! :D I blame the new guy now.. LM3003 stop stealing our bandwidth :p

Thanks for the help!

Sure I didnt do much! You changed the cable yourself :P

Ah dunno about that! :D I blame the new guy now.. LM3003 stop stealing our bandwidth :p

Very true, you need to earn bandwidth round these parts!!!
    Queue deliverance music!

Just wondering whats the highest speed people have seen? I saw 30mb down (once for a few mins) over a year ago. Ever since max is about 27mb (off peak). Even nights when I was called at 5am for work I've only seen around 27/28mb max. With NWE hosting their own speedtest server there should be nothing stopping people getting higher. Fair enough outside the network is different. But a server internally should hit higher speeds. Don't get me wrong if we were getting those speeds all the time it would be great, but they do say up to 50mb, but seems to be up to 28ish.

Just wondering whats the highest speed people have seen? I saw 30mb down (once for a few mins) over a year ago. Ever since max is about 27mb (off peak). Even nights when I was called at 5am for work I've only seen around 27/28mb max. With NWE hosting their own speedtest server there should be nothing stopping people getting higher. Fair enough outside the network is different. But a server internally should hit higher speeds. Don't get me wrong if we were getting those speeds all the time it would be great, but they do say up to 50mb, but seems to be up to 28ish.

Way before Christmas I would see almost 8mb late at night sometimes, which I thought was good as my package is 8down 1up, but since then I never get more than 3mb even late at night now!

• Advertisement

Way before Christmas I would see almost 8mb late at night sometimes, which I thought was good as my package is 8down 1up, but since then I never get more than 3mb even late at night now!

You on the 10mb package?

Nah the residential gold package! I haven't went for the next gen yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

This connection is absolute arse tonight. Started up a download for a mod (1.5GB) estimated time 2 hours.
    2 hours later its down to 50KB/s, then inexplicably the IP on NWE's end says that it can't resolve google in the ping I've been running and the download dies.
    Connection starts back up again and is fine. These boys are cowboys.
    Been using Three all day every day this week and the one time I swap over to download some stuff its abominable, at midnight! wtf is this.

Still no improvement here. Packet loss averaging 3-4% last few days. It spikes up to 7-10%, annoying. Although last night I watched a few episodes on Netflix around 11-12 and quality stayed HD (most of the time) with only about 4 or 5 freezes. Havent tried gaming in a while as it frustrated the hell out of me the last time I did.

Just did 2 tests here, NWE vs Three.
    UPDATE: Tested again at 9PM
    4140449569.png4140946277.png

4140452566.png4140942940.png

Steady 40-55ms on Three, no packet loss.
    3G should NOT be better than a fixed 5GHz wireless solution with a feckin satellite dish on me roof!
    To add insult to injury the stick is connected to the same mast location as the NWE dish is hosted on, but is down in my room which isn't line of sight.
    I must rig up some kind of waterproof mount on the roof next to the NWE dish for the Three stick to go into.

I'm not getting any packet loss now but I'm getting constant high pings!
    Speeds are decent though at the minute 7mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 pawddy

I had a go at using that UOtrace program, and performed a traceroute to google.co.uk, and I got two hops with 100% loss. Is that normal??

Here are the first four hops:
    Host Name IP Address Hop Ping Time Ping Avg % Loss Pkts r/s Ping best/worst
    router.belkin 192.168.2.1 1 1ms 1ms 0% 200 / 200 1ms / 63ms
    * Unknown Host * 172. 2 2ms 1ms 0% 200 / 200 1ms / 12ms
    * Unknown Host * 172. 3 3ms 6ms 0% 200 / 200 2ms / 73ms
    * Unknown Host * 10.100.54.1 4 8ms 100% 0 / 200

...and here is the second 100% loss hop among the last four.

* Unknown Host * 149.14.8.150 13 22ms 24ms 0% 199 / 200 18ms / 111ms
    * Unknown Host * 209.85.246.242 14 20ms 24ms 0% 199 / 200 18ms / 108ms
    * Unknown Host * 72. 15 22ms 100% 0 / 199
    lhr14s23-in-f3.1e100.net 216.58.210.35 16 27ms 28ms 0% 197 / 198 18ms / 131ms

I've never used a program like this so my knowledge on this stuff is pretty limited. Anyone have any ideas?

pawddy wrote: »
    I had a go at using that UOtrace program, and performed a traceroute to google.co.uk, and I got two hops with 100% loss. Is that normal??

Here are the first four hops:
    router.belkin 192.168.2.1 1 1ms 1ms 0% 200 / 200 1ms / 63ms
    * Unknown Host * 172. 2 2ms 1ms 0% 200 / 200 1ms / 12ms
    * Unknown Host * 172. 3 3ms 6ms 0% 200 / 200 2ms / 73ms
    * Unknown Host * 10.100.54.1 4 8ms 100% 0 / 200

...and here is the second 100% loss hop among the last four.

* Unknown Host * 149.14.8.150 13 22ms 24ms 0% 199 / 200 18ms / 111ms
    * Unknown Host * 209.85.246.242 14 20ms 24ms 0% 199 / 200 18ms / 108ms
    * Unknown Host * 72. 15 22ms 100% 0 / 199
    lhr14s23-in-f3.1e100.net 216.58.210.35 16 27ms 28ms 0% 197 / 198 18ms / 131ms

I've never used a program like this so my knowledge on this stuff is pretty limited. Anyone have any ideas?

Dunno if its normal but in my tests I was getting 5 hops with 100% packet loss!

Is anyone else's internet running like crap tonight? I done a speed test on it and its showing 7mb constant, but I used that UOtrace program to check pings and packet loss. I left it running for ten minutes and its an average ping of 627ms and 5% packet loss!

Not at the house this weekend but taking a look on my server it's the same as it always is. No massive increase in ping though! 600+ is pretty high!!

Regarding the 100% loss, yeah that's normal. Some routers are set to drop ICMP packets destined for that router but will pass packets along to other destinations. If you get 0% loss to the ip you're pinging then all is fine no matter what loss in between. But if you get loss at destination you would usually begin by looking at what hop first starts dropping packets as that will affect all hops after that also. For example if my router was dropping packets then all hops after that will show loss because of my router.

Just did 2 tests here, NWE vs Three.
    UPDATE: Tested again at 9PM
    4140449569.png4140946277.png

4140452566.png4140942940.png

Steady 40-55ms on Three, no packet loss.
    3G should NOT be better than a fixed 5GHz wireless solution with a feckin satellite dish on me roof!
    To add insult to injury the stick is connected to the same mast location as the NWE dish is hosted on, but is down in my room which isn't line of sight.
    I must rig up some kind of waterproof mount on the roof next to the NWE dish for the Three stick to go into.

Ha, thats pretty poor there alright. Although not bad for 3G at the same time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Hi folks

Wanted an opinion. Living in rural Cavan and our Eircom broadband is brutal. A local man is organising for NWE to put up a mast and service 25 houses locally. He sells it very well but reading the reviews here I'm not sure what I should do.

He's saying we'll get an upload speed of 2mbps and a download speed of 10mbps but it doesn't sound like it here. Price is €49 installation, supply your own modem and then €24 a month.

As poor as Eircom is, should I just stick with the devil I know?

Lemlin wrote: »
    Hi folks

Wanted an opinion. Living in rural Cavan and our Eircom broadband is brutal. A local man is organising for NWE to put up a mast and service 25 houses locally. He sells it very well but reading the reviews here I'm not sure what I should do.

He's saying we'll get an upload speed of 2mbps and a download speed of 10mbps but it doesn't sound like it here. Price is €49 installation, supply your own modem and then €24 a month.

As poor as Eircom is, should I just stick with the devil I know?

What kind of speeds are you getting with Eircom? What do you use the connection for (gaming? streaming? just browsing?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hey guys

Currently have vodafone BB, I have SamKnows monitoring on the BB and getting max of 0.93Mbps with an average of 0.87Mbps downstream

Upstream is max 0.28Mbps and average is 0.21Mbps

There is offer in area to get this North West Electronics. They are offering the 10MB and 20MB pack. I guess it would be way better than Vodafone?

Also for streaming SD quality would I get away with the 10MB? Looking at Netflix....thanks

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Hey guys

Currently have vodafone BB, I have SamKnows monitoring on the BB and getting max of 0.93Mbps with an average of 0.87Mbps downstream

Upstream is max 0.28Mbps and average is 0.21Mbps

There is offer in area to get this North West Electronics. They are offering the 10MB and 20MB pack. I guess it would be way better than Vodafone?

Also for streaming SD quality would I get away with the 10MB? Looking at Netflix....thanks

10 and 20 package? Thought there was only 10 and 50.

You should get better speeds, but in saying that I'm on the 50 and during peak time I mostly get 8ish. With regards to Netflix, the 10 pack should do but depends on what the actual speed you get is. I think some people on the 10 were getting under 1mb at times, not sure. Also on the Netflix front, I watch a few episodes a night and was told over 1GB in 24hours was excessive so make sure you check that with them.

I suffer from packet loss all the time on my connection which affects quite a few things. I have been trying to get them to fix it for a year. You could be lucky and have little to no loss but if get poor performance its a bit of a pain to get fixed.

10 and 20 package? Thought there was only 10 and 50.

You should get better speeds, but in saying that I'm on the 50 and during peak time I mostly get 8ish. With regards to Netflix, the 10 pack should do but depends on what the actual speed you get is. I think some people on the 10 were getting under 1mb at times, not sure. Also on the Netflix front, I watch a few episodes a night and was told over 1GB in 24hours was excessive so make sure you check that with them.

I suffer from packet loss all the time on my connection which affects quite a few things. I have been trying to get them to fix it for a year. You could be lucky and have little to no loss but if get poor performance its a bit of a pain to get fixed.

I would be about a mile away from the transmitter, I guess that will help?

Big Nelly wrote: »
    I would be about a mile away from the transmitter, I guess that will help?

I'm about 2km from the mast, I average 0.7% off peak and 4% peak. Another person I know is just outside the max (recommended) distance from the mast and they average around 0.1% loss during off peak and 0.5% peak so not really to do with distance in my case. Again, you might get lucky.

Just gonna chime in here as well, NWE are probably better than what you have there, but not by much at times. Im currently getting 1.2Mb/s (150KB/s) down on a steam download here and I'm on the 10Mb/s package so its a mixed bag. If the contention is high in your area like it is in mine you can expect the same speeds. Some areas seem to be fine like where chris is there. I actually havent seen mine break 7Mbit for 4 weeks now even at 1/2am.

A side note: gaming is impossible entirely on this connection between 1/3pm and 12/1am depending on how many people are on. I have a three stick handy for gaming, but it does mean im paying an extra 20 quid a month for that.

Just gonna chime in here as well, NWE are probably better than what you have there, but not by much at times. Im currently getting 1.2Mb/s (150KB/s) down on a steam download here and I'm on the 10Mb/s package so its a mixed bag. If the contention is high in your area like it is in mine you can expect the same speeds. Some areas seem to be fine like where chris is there. I actually havent seen mine break 7Mbit for 4 weeks now even at 1/2am.

A side note: gaming is impossible entirely on this connection between 1/3pm and 12/1am depending on how many people are on. I have a three stick handy for gaming, but it does mean im paying an extra 20 quid a month for that.

I guess it also depends on how many people are connecting to there central point?

I checked with the guy offering and he said the max would be 20 connections to the receive point. After that they would not sell to anyone else......

It appears to be an evolving process.

My speeds where good for 18 months then they hit about 12 months of being crap probably due to overloading masts too many connections on the same hub switch etc.
    But recently I am seeing better speeds so it looks like they might be load balancing the network a little better or they have invested in more hardware to handle the increased volumes.

Some areas seem to be fine like where chris is there.

Ah now Tommy I wouldn't say that! :P

I can get speeds of about 22mb at 3 or 4 in the morning. Not near the 50. But at times of the day I use it its around 8 or under, again thats when paying for the 50mb package (so about 16% of the supposed speed - yeah I know, "up to" and all that :rolleyes:). I havent done many speed tests lately so not sure what speeds are these days. Will start doing a few. Its the loss thats affecting me. Although I should hear something by the end of the week, hopefully they'll have it sorted.

Don't know if I'd believe the 20 people max thing. If more people wanted it I doubt they deny them.

As ShowMeTheCash says they were good a year or so back. Then went downhill. It has improved for some people but it depends where you are. The part your on might link into older hardware or whatever that has issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 jsn.mcclintock

So I've done a little research and found out that my home is just within Meteor's 4g network. I just switched to Meteor mobile from Tesco today and a quick speed test gave me a download speed of 24mb and an upload of around 3mb at 8pm. I think a trip into the meteor store tomorrow to sign up for their home broadband is in order now! 30gb of data for €24 on a 6 month contract is reasonable enough.

Quick question, I've been with NWE for just over 2 years so in order for me to cancel do I have to give 30 days notice or anything like that or can I just cancel my payments and feck them? ie does the initial 12 month contract with them end after 12 months and go into a month by month contract?

So I've done a little research and found out that my home is just within Meteor's 4g network. I just switched to Meteor mobile from Tesco today and a quick speed test gave me a download speed of 24mb and an upload of around 3mb at 8pm. I think a trip into the meteor store tomorrow to sign up for their home broadband is in order now! 30gb of data for €24 on a 6 month contract is reasonable enough.

Quick question, I've been with NWE for just over 2 years so in order for me to cancel do I have to give 30 days notice or anything like that or can I just cancel my payments and feck them? ie does the initial 12 month contract with them end after 12 months and go into a month by month contract?

Nice one. What kind of speeds were you getting on NWE? You might have to give them notice, not quite sure. Send them a mail. I remember when I moved out of the town and cancelled Smart BB I had to send in a signed cancellation document (just scanned and mailed). Always found that funny, dont need to sign anything when signing up but to cancel they needed a signature!

Nice one. What kind of speeds were you getting on NWE? You might have to give them notice, not quite sure. Send them a mail. I remember when I moved out of the town and cancelled Smart BB I had to send in a signed cancellation document (just scanned and mailed). Always found that funny, dont need to sign anything when signing up but to cancel they needed a signature!

I was getting on average 1.5mbs but it was always sketchy, some images wouldn't load and you could forget about streaming. The only good thing about it was leaving downloads going over night.

Yeah, I rang them and they told me they wanted 2 weeks payment since my last payment was on the 14th, I told them good luck with that! I think for the crap service I've put up with for the last 18 months or so I'm owed the €16.

I tested the 4g modem last night and got 36mbs down and 16mbs up with ping at 36.

I was getting on average 1.5mbs but it was always sketchy, some images wouldn't load and you could forget about streaming. The only good thing about it was leaving downloads going over night.

Yeah, I rang them and they told me they wanted 2 weeks payment since my last payment was on the 14th, I told them good luck with that! I think for the crap service I've put up with for the last 18 months or so I'm owed the €16.

I tested the 4g modem last night and got 36mbs down and 16mbs up with ping at 36.

Jees! Nice speeds. I think I'm out of Meteor 4G range, I can get Three but its still varies too much, they said they are still working at it. To think you can get those speeds on mobile broadband but get nowhere near on fixed wireless...

Jees! Nice speeds. I think I'm out of Meteor 4G range, I can get Three but its still varies too much, they said they are still working at it. To think you can get those speeds on mobile broadband but get nowhere near on fixed wireless...

The mast for meteor is at the Mountain Top and if I look out my bedroom window I have a straight, unobstructed line of sight to it so I don't think I could be in a better location for it. NWE's mast is in the opposite direction and I can't even see the hill its on never mind the mast itself. I'm very happy to be out of NWE's service, the woman on the phone was very abrupt in ending my call after I said why I was leaving! I got a reply to my email after I sent the cancellation email and they had the audacity to offer to look into any connectivity issues I've been having.

The mast for meteor is at the Mountain Top and if I look out my bedroom window I have a straight, unobstructed line of sight to it so I don't think I could be in a better location for it. NWE's mast is in the opposite direction and I can't even see the hill its on never mind the mast itself. I'm very happy to be out of NWE's service, the woman on the phone was very abrupt in ending my call after I said why I was leaving! I got a reply to my email after I sent the cancellation email and they had the audacity to offer to look into any connectivity issues I've been having.

Haha, look into connectivity issues? Jees, dont chat to me about that. Its been a year and they still reckon my connection is fine! ComReg involved now too. Averaging 2-5% packet loss during peak time (even when no one is at the house) and another customer I know averages around 0.5% yet they see no issues!

I'd say there might be quite a few customers doing the same as yourself once they realise the alternative is available. If NWE fixed their network and were more helpful towards customers (actually talk to them and not just pick a response out of a support guide) they would have no problems keeping customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 pawddy

Haha, look into connectivity issues? Jees, dont chat to me about that. Its been a year and they still reckon my connection is fine! ComReg involved now too. Averaging 2-5% packet loss during peak time (even when no one is at the house) and another customer I know averages around 0.5% yet they see no issues!

I'd say there might be quite a few customers doing the same as yourself once they realise the alternative is available. If NWE fixed their network and were more helpful towards customers (actually talk to them and not just pick a response out of a support guide) they would have no problems keeping customers.

What's the story with ComReg? Any progress?

pawddy wrote: »
    What's the story with ComReg? Any progress?

Just off the phone with them there, they cant do anything. They can only do something if you had an outage or were getting really low speeds like 1 or 2 meg which sounds like quite a few on here. No doubt they (NWE) will be sitting in their offices laughing now. Bet they wont answer my questions either, they never do. It's ridiculous that because the network hasnt gone down for me they say I dont have an issue. So theoretically you could have 90% packet loss, your connection wont go down therefore no issue by that logic. And we all saw the awful packet loss of 30-50% for 2 or 3 months over Christmas.

Just wanted to chime in myself here, soldered some extra antennas to my old three stick and mostly use it now.
    Getting 4-7mbit all day then 14Mbit at night on HSPA+ (no 4G for me yet).
    I'm running an "unlimited package" through it and haven't got done for it yet, but I'm keeping NWE only incase Three pull another 100 euro bill on me some day and I relegate it to only for gaming again.

NWE is abysmal 5PM-1AM of course, shows 2-4Mbit at worst but the packet loss is such utter **** with it that it feels like 0.5.

Edit: NWE starting to feel the bite already
    4243289519.png

4243282734.png

• Advertisement

Rant incoming.... :rolleyes:

Just wanted to chime in myself here, soldered some extra antennas to my old three stick and mostly use it now.
    Getting 4-7mbit all day then 14Mbit at night on HSPA+ (no 4G for me yet).
    I'm running an "unlimited package" through it and haven't got done for it yet, but I'm keeping NWE only incase Three pull another 100 euro bill on me some day and I relegate it to only for gaming again.

NWE is abysmal 5PM-1AM of course, shows 2-4Mbit at worst but the packet loss is such utter **** with it that it feels like 0.5.

Edit: NWE starting to feel the bite already
    4243289519.png

4243282734.png

Would you find you get a better speed from the dongle/router than on the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Chrissy6x

Can someone help me please....I'm no good at all this I just know I'm so annoyed... 2 years ago I hounded eircom for broadband...no problem they said put up 15 poles from bottom of the lane to my house after 5 months....2 months later engineer finally connected the line to the house...7 months on phone to eircom to be told sorry no broadband available they are old fashioned way they put up lines---to my reply why would they put up.old fashioned poles etc if I'm looking for modern broadband I'm just to wait until they upgrade....1.5 yr later I'm stuck wit qsat 54.99 10gb which I only get 16 days put of month as I like my Internet....no 3g up here for me....is bluebox going.to suit me castlefinn area :) thanks and sorry for life story.....

Chrissy6x wrote: »
    Can someone help me please....I'm no good at all this I just know I'm so annoyed... 2 years ago I hounded eircom for broadband...no problem they said put up 15 poles from bottom of the lane to my house after 5 months....2 months later engineer finally connected the line to the house...7 months on phone to eircom to be told sorry no broadband available they are old fashioned way they put up lines---to my reply why would they put up.old fashioned poles etc if I'm looking for modern broadband I'm just to wait until they upgrade....1.5 yr later I'm stuck wit qsat 54.99 10gb which I only get 16 days put of month as I like my Internet....no 3g up here for me....is bluebox going.to suit me castlefinn area :) thanks and sorry for life story.....

Sounds frustrating alright!!

If you read through this thread you will get a good idea of what NWE are like. Its a mixed bag really. Some people have it and have little problems whereas others, like alot on this thread, have constant issues which are not being addressed. If you just use it for light browsing then you might be alright. If you use it for streaming you could have issues with speed and packet loss during peak hours (like alot on here) or it could be fine and they might complain about excessive usage due to streaming - confusion over whether there is a limit or not, I asked for confirmation but didn't get it. If you use it for gaming, voip, skype, anything that requires a stable connection you could have issues like the rest of us which is to do with packet loss. I've been trying to get my connection fixed for over a year and they now refuse to acknowledge the issue.

If you do end up like people on this thread and need to contact support, then good luck with that. I don't think I have ever encountered a more unhelpful support team. They don't interact with customers. If you tell them the issue, the "senior engineer is looking into it" is all you will get, followed by either "we have made a change please test again" to which there will likely be no difference, or "there is no issue". If you ask can they see the issue you are experiencing they will tell you again there is no issue and will not specifically address any questions you have asked. Others on here have been cut off for periods of up to a week and either been unable to contact them or else been told there wasn't an issue.

I have said on many occasions, its great that they are connecting rural Donegal but I just don't like the treatment of customers. The unfortunate fact is that the majority of people that get the service do so because there is no other options available. It seems to be, that because of this, very little attention is paid to support queries as they know people wont leave as quick as they would if they had an alternative. That's just my opinion on my experiences with them. But its the only option I have. Some on here use their Three dongles etc during peak hours as the NWE speeds drop so low and others have cancelled NWE to use 3G/4G.

So its hard to say whether you should go for it! You would have broadband yeah but difficult to know how well it would perform. We all pay the same amount but experiences vary greatly. But in comparison to QSat it would be better (not that its difficult!)

So me Three modem kicked the bucket, turns out leaving something downloading all night at 14Mbit is outside of its design specifications :rolleyes:

Really feckin suffering with NWE these nights, can't stream youtube or nathin.
    Goes down to this speed every night:
    4277985599.png

Going to source a new Three modem on Monday and get some high gain antennas for it from the net to solder to it. The salvaged antennas from old modems did the trick for a while but were too inconsistent. If I can get that system up and running I'll be taking my chances with my "unlimited" package on Three and telling these lads how I feel.

So me Three modem kicked the bucket, turns out leaving something downloading all night at 14Mbit is outside of its design specifications :rolleyes:

Really feckin suffering with NWE these nights, can't stream youtube or nathin.
    Goes down to this speed every night:
    4277985599.png

Going to source a new Three modem on Monday and get some high gain antennas for it from the net to solder to it. The salvaged antennas from old modems did the trick for a while but were too inconsistent. If I can get that system up and running I'll be taking my chances with my "unlimited" package on Three and telling these lads how I feel.

Yeah I'm at 3mb here at the minute. They've refused to fix my issues. They say there is no issue and when I asked if they deem 10-15% packet loss spikes on their own internal network as acceptable they dodge the question. They don't actually answer any question I ask. Just keep closing a ticket saying no issue. So I'm pretty much at a stage now that any issue I experience will be met with that same response from them. It's not as if I went looking for it. I had problems with various things and ran tests to find out what was going on.

Might give Three a shot. Few problems with it at the minute out here. Last night was getting 0.5 down and 22 up :P They rang me earlier to say they were looking into it and asking to keep track of a few things. Imagine that, a support team calling you and asking for some info to help diagnose a problem!

• Advertisement

Jesus *several expletives* its bad today.
    4282109543.png

Dug out the old nokia I got with three in 2010 to tether to and getting this:
    4282117891.png

Jees that is bad! I did a few tests earlier, was getting around 3-4mb. They got back to me again. They don't see packet loss as an issue inside their network, even at 10-15%, blaming contention. I've said in the past that on tests on Three you can see the effects of contention (lower speeds) without affecting connection stability (Three was 0% packet loss). Its no coincidence that when there are issues and you do some tests there is packet loss. I'm done contacting them. Such a waste of time, they aren't interested, they get their money and thats all they care about.

There needs to be a sticky thread of wireless ISPs to avoid with this crowd at the top. So disappointed since it was a mighty connection when I got it first and for the 6 months after that. Wish they had an active facebook page I could spam with these speedtests.
    I really never thought I'd find Three to be a better ISP than someone else.

Usual crap tonight again!, slow most of the night then if finally goes offline! thank god for the 3 broadband I got.

Speeds around 5mb here at the minute. Have to admit you guys seem to be worse off than me! I usually get around 3-5mb during peak hours although sometimes lower. Can't game on it as the loss seems to kill it most of the time. Then strangely enough I asked a one of you to do tests in the past and you were getting near 0% loss. It's strange. Other customer I know of gets very low loss but pings have invreased. Have you heard back from them since fooker?

• Advertisement
Advertisement