Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite survivalism related films

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Khannie wrote: »
    In other exciting news, I finished two seasons of The Colony which was also recommended in this thread. Very much enjoyed that.

Just sat through the first episode. Ugh, so forced, its not even a big brother kind of set up, they have camera men walking around reminding everyone that they are all grand and safe... and all the dialogue is too american and 'maintaining family values during a crisis'.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Anyways go and force yourselves to watch survivors on youtube! It is in 20 min segments,so you can recover and actually appreciate some vintage original classic TV.Not this rehashed modern rubbish based on classics.
    Kids these days!!!:rolleyes:

I'll get round to it, I'm working my way through earlier suggestions, just watched 'the edge', currently watching 'take shelter' and have 'defiance' downloading (sheesh Im gonna miss the interweb)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,080 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

It goes from bad to worse..
    Take Shelter
    Ok this looked good starting off.We have Curtis La Forche[Micheal Shannon] as an average working Joe ,who starts to see some pretty nasty weather and sky changes in around his home and workplace.Trouble is..Ol Curtis is apprently the only one seeing this as well as massive flocks of aerobatic birds.Somwhat troubled by this he starts getting nightmares that he keeps from his wife and partially deaf daughter.These keep getting worse even to the point he dreams of getting savaged by the family dog.So it turns out Curtis mom was abit of a looper as well,so he heads off to the libary for some books on DIY head shrinking to find out wether he is schizo or not.Between all this as one does he decides to build out his old storm cellar[a most commendable idea],using a container,7000 dollars borrowed on the house and the company that he works for plant equipment.
    Anyways,needless to say it grinds on his wife,Curtis looses his job,and lifelong friend too,not to mind the respect of all and sundry because of his shelter building.Finally one night it happens,sirens go off and we have the La Forche fammily hiding in the storm cellar,wearing gasmasks[dont know why]for a period of time.Mrs Curtis finally convinces Curtis that it is all in his mind and that he needs therapy,and a nice holiday on a beach somwhere.Which just and duely happens after Curtis dramatically opening the cellar doors beliving a full blown storm to be outside,and it is a bright sunny day with the neighbours cleaning up light storm damage!!..
    Curtis is playing with his daughter on a beach and the daughter signs him that a storm is coming ..Curtis turns around and sure enough the Mother of all storms that he forsaw is coming towards them from the ocean.Final scene is Curtis and family looking at this and going into their rental house.

Grizz verdict 6/10.
    Pros shows what you could do with 6.5 K for a pretty good to average shelter made out of container joined onto a storm cellar.Pretty basic,but it proably would get you through a bad weather event.
    Con
    The entire theme of mental sickness and obsession seemed to hang over the film,suggesting anyone who is building a storm shelter or preparing is going slowly nuts!!

Collapse,or a zombie flick with a difference??
    Another average budget "zombie flick" .This time we have a farmer in Nowhereville, Midwest USA fighting off Zombies.
    Starts off with him sitting in the local doctors office,where he is waiting for the wife,we discover he has lost his daughter about six months earlier[HINT; Keep the title of this film in mind at all times!;)] in some tragic circumstances.
    Things arent going well for them,daughter died,bank is threatning a forclosure,son is getting peed off with the old man for missing out on family time,his one and only farm hand has quit,the bills are pouring in and al inall life is going rapidly towards domestic and financial chaos.

Next scene is son and farm hand unloading bales of hay with dad working on the pickup.Sure enough in shuffles the first zombie who promptly bites son and farm hand.Dad dispatches with a shovel the zombie and his now instant zombie farm hand..[Why didnt he just capture him lock him in the barn and use him in the future as a useful beast of burden??:cool:] Who has just bloodied up the missus clean washing!!And off we go into the fammilar Z flick of barricading the house,shooting Zs as they try to come in the doors and windows etc.
    Said farmer is trying to prevent the son from turning by keeping him asleep all the time and not allowing his mum anywhere near him due to "Infection risk".Said farmer has an intresting selection of handguns .Everything from a 9mm Breatta to a sawn off double shot pistol.Intresting is he only uses each gun once in the entire film and never bothers reoading them.
    Next its off to town for supplies,push starting his automatic transmission car:eek:.We have the usual jobs of running trough zombie infected town,gathering supplies and shooting a bunch of zombies in the bank including the zombie bank manager[Sounds pretty much like our Irish banking system at the moment!] All very normal post apocalyptic Zombie stuff...Or is it???:D:D.Turns out it is all in his head.But I wont spoil it for you as to how or why it happened.

Grizz verdict6/10
    Pro an intresting twist on the Zombie flick genere.What you might see mightnt be happening in real lifa and it might be caused by too much stress in your life.
    Con
    Was abit low budget,and again this message of sorts ,survivalists might be nutjobs willing to shoot innocents because they have flipped.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Zombie flick with a difference?? ....There all the same ever since dawn of the dead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

This looks pretty interesting:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    This looks pretty interesting:
    VbpyFOjTADk

Has the sh!t he the fan - everything in code already ;)

No one tells me anything :(

Has the sh!t he the fan - everything in code already ;)

No one tells me anything :(

Sorry man you know how it is. :D

Second attempt:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Trailer looks good, but the IMDB score is horrific.

Trailer looks good, but the IMDB score is horrific.
    I'd guess its one of those sorta like it/hate it movies which won't lend itself to great scores.

Actually this dude has a fairly definitive list:

http://www.imdb.com/list/B-qfAU-pgjg/

I guess we'll be seeing a lot of them this year as the media capitalise on the whole 2012 thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Carriers is on film4 2nite
    Four uninfected youngsters grab a car and flee a fatal viral pandemic in rural America, hoping to escape to the coast without contracting the disease themselves

I have not seen it , supposed to be good
    http://www.film4.com/reviews/2009/carriers

• Advertisement

krissovo wrote: »
    I prefer military escape and evasion type movies or survival with a purpose and escape rather than true wilderness survival. This may influence my favorites.

No 1....... The Pianist, Great movie and very moving even though it does not fit my usual taste. I use this movie as reference when I give seminars for how life as you know it can gradually change and you have to constantly adapt to stay in the game.

Real & Hero's of Telemark - Both the movie and Ray Mears documentary are a great insight. Watch the movie followed by Ray Mears to appreciate what these lads went through.

Flight of the phoenix & Ice cold in Alex, two classic desert survival movies

Deliverance, cheesy and american but a cool movie

You will like this.
    Rescue dawn is pretty good , Vietnam prison and then escape and evade movie.

True story based on Dieter Dengler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescue_Dawn
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieter_Dengler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭LumpyGravy

Maybe not a blockbuster but Nanook Of The North is an excellent insight in to the lives of Inuit people in the Canadian Arctic.

Warning: This silent film was made in 1922, so may not appeal to the younger followers of this thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

Sorry man you know how it is. :D

Second attempt:

i like the sam raimi camerawork in the woods

Sort of on topic but it looks like Bear Grylls is wrapping it up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17364327

Never again shall we be treated to the vision of a man drinking his own urine. Well until he gets a better contract anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

You will like this.
    Rescue dawn is pretty good , Vietnam prison and then escape and evade movie.

True story based on Dieter Dengler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rescue_Dawn
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieter_Dengler

31 seconds in, would you stand on top of a big rock in hostile territory? If they want to exercise poetic licence they should get a better poet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,080 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

An intresting film about what happens after eight chacters are thrown together in a shelter after a Nuke attack on New York city.Grubby,dirty and crawly its realistic for conditions and personal issues and conflict.Give the plot abit of a miss,but concentrate on the issues and how they could be solved.
    One of the better survival films out there in a long while.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭doh777

The Mist (2007) is decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Have been doing some reading over lent while the TV was off.

Series of three books - Dies the fire, Meeting at Corvallis and the Protectors War, by SM STirling.

Premise... electricity stops working and gun powder.

Good story telling, mostly. Certainly engaging enough. Clearly he wanted to be able to replay the middle ages, and that wasn't going to happen in America unless guns were out of the picture, so good storytelling.

Some interesting thought on character and how people might behave in a such a situation. Some tihngs come too easy, though the main thrust of the plot is sound, get out of town, get farming, get protected.

Enjoyable speculation.

THe other night watched !"& hours, the stroy of ARon Ralston.

Brilliant movie, great story (the film is very true to Ralstons own book telling of his survival after a climbing accident.

Excellently done movie, showing visually the internal torture of being trapped and the various hardships. Even knowing what waws going to happen in the end, it was quite tense and gripping, no more gory than necessary for the story but great storytelling.

I found it very inspiring. Well worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

Watched this the other night quite disturbing I came across it on wikipedia after watching "The Day After"

For those lazy people the **** hits the fab from episode 5 onwards:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

My Favourite include "Enemy at the Gate"
    Based on a true story of a german and Russian sniper fighting it out during the Battle of stalingrad world war 2.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUVqSCH8Fho

Another favourite and one amazing movie is "The empire of the sun"
    Movie is based around a boy in a japanese prison of war camp during world war 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKbg7RmW8rY

The crazies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭thehippychippy

Take Shelter - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1675192/

Ive been keeping my eye out for this one, cant find it anywhere online but look forward to seeing it.

The Colony

Actually a series but highly relevant! Probably the reason I ended up here, I though to myself how would I fair in a situation like that. If your posting on this forum and havnt watched it I would highly recommend you check it out
    Watched Take Shelter last night on movie2k. Really good movie. Not a lot of survivalism in it other then the "bury a container/buy gas masks and extra food!!" but still a good flick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 lostpas5235

Time of the Wolf - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0324197/

Haunting film that played on my mind for many years.

The IMDb plot summary: Immediately before a global catyclysm, Anna and her family arrive at their holiday home in the countryside only to find it is occupied by a family of complete strangers. The occupants refer to the cataclism and tell her the rules of society no longer apply.

and of course http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089869/ - an interesting take one "the last man on Earth" theme.

The Last Survivors - Martin Sheen (1975) Full Movie
    Reality and survival. A good film with a powerful and honest theme.

• Advertisement

Where Have All the People Gone? (1974) TV movie(ABC)
    A strange series of solar flares proves fatal for inhabitants of the Earth, except for the fortunate few, A handful of survivors attempt to rebuild their lives on the de-populated Earth

Hell (2011)
    In the not too distant future, people struggle to survive their greatest enemy, the sun.

Trailer (the full movie is also up there)
    German movie dubbed. not bad, not brilliant either, similar to "the road" (6.5/10)
    From producer Roland Emmerich and director Tim Fehlbaum.

Andersonville 1996 movie

This a movie about the Andersonville a Confederate prisoner-of-war camp during the American Civil War
    which became severally overcrowded during war and had a high death rate
    Of the approximately 45,000 Union prisoners held at Camp Sumter during the war, nearly 13,000 died due to starvation, malnutrition, diarrhea and other communicable diseases.

Movie deals with many survival issues including the emergence of armed gangs
    in the camp preying on weak and the Resistance to them as well as rationing and disease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andersonville_National_Historic_Site
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andersonville_(film)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I just watched the whole of 'Threads 'on Youtube.

Holy crap. Seriously, if an atomic bomb ever goes off, even if I was prepped to within an inch of my life, I think I'd rather be vapourised instantly if that's what I'd be facing when I emerged from my bunker!

Or at least make sure I always have at least ONE bullet left in my gun......

Watched this a few nights ago.
    Basically a white bush pilot crashes his plane in the tundra northwest territories of canada.
    His native inuit female passenger teachs him to survive in this region.
    A good movie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

I don't think so, entertainment writers like to play up infighting and drama to make plots more interesting, but most small communities are actually pretty nice places, historically too. In a time of crisis I'd be surprised if things fell apart, give people a common cause and they pull together fairly well.

It was the christian moral tale bit of the movie that annoyed me.

Well said Doc,

Have just posted my thoughts on this film, seems to feed into this idea that we will all end up alone in a big city and will be able to scavenge what we need from all the valuable stuff everyone else leaves behind - the time to prep is now, not after the fact!

Am seeing a lot of media hype about "The Purge" (#survivethenight).

Wikipedia tells me this is a sci-fi horror film although aside from the fact the film is set roughly ten years from now, I don't see what's especially futuristic about it but believe is has aspects of survivalism to it.

In brief it seems that the Continental US is enjoying an unprecedented era of prosperity with extremely low crime and unemployment rates. This is supposedly achieved by suspending all emergency services for a 12 hour period once a year during which all forms of behaviour are permissible, including crime. The idea seems to be that this release of repressed emotions will allow for prosperity during the rest of the year.

The film follows one family's efforts to survive the night, complete with battening down the hatches through use of steel doors and security shutters. It seems very obliging they're given advance warning but will their preparations be enough?

The family and I are going to take a gander when it comes out, will keep you all posted if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

silentrust wrote: »
    Am seeing a lot of media hype about "The Purge" (#survivethenight).

Wikipedia tells me this is a sci-fi horror film although aside from the fact the film is set roughly ten years from now, I don't see what's especially futuristic about it but believe is has aspects of survivalism to it.

In brief it seems that the Continental US is enjoying an unprecedented era of prosperity with extremely low crime and unemployment rates. This is supposedly achieved by suspending all emergency services for a 12 hour period once a year during which all forms of behaviour are permissible, including crime. The idea seems to be that this release of repressed emotions will allow for prosperity during the rest of the year.

The film follows one family's efforts to survive the night, complete with battening down the hatches through use of steel doors and security shutters. It seems very obliging they're given advance warning but will their preparations be enough?

The family and I are going to take a gander when it comes out, will keep you all posted if anyone is interested.

i was only watchin the trailer for this last night too, it looks to be right up my ally!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0LLaybEuzA

aaakev wrote: »
    i was only watchin the trailer for this last night too, it looks to be right up my ally!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0LLaybEuzA

Cheers Kev, hope you enjoy it. I was a bit worried about posting it here but I suppose it counts as survivalism insofar as bugging in and avoiding opportunistic criminals is concerned. :)

Cheers Kev, hope you enjoy it. I was a bit worried about posting it here but I suppose it counts as survivalism insofar as bugging in and avoiding opportunistic criminals is concerned. :)
    hey its all relevent, from the looks of the trailer the house looks to be a fortress!

another one i saw recently was Red Dawn, its about North Korea invading the US. Alot of bad reviews but i really enjoyed it.... Give me anything easy watching with loads of guns and explosions and im sold :o bit of a neanderthal i am...

Ah yeah, definitely going to be of interest on here. That's the kind of movie I love. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the tip.

La 317eme Section by Pierre Schoendoerffer (also called The 317th platoon)
    1965 French film
    In 1954, the Indochina War begins to come to a close following France's defeat by the Viet Minh at the deadly Battle of Dîen Bîen Phû. Some French units are cut off and risk being overrun at every turn -- including the 317th Platoon, a unit of French soldiers and Laotian allies who are led by the idealistic but inexperienced sous-lieutenant Torrens and adjutant Willsdorf, a former soldier in the German Wehrmacht during WWII. Their survival depends on completing a trek through the dense, jungle-laden, expanse of enemy territory that stands between them and the safety of the nearest French outpost.
    Trailer

Full movie on youtube 46 years old ok
    Spanish dubbed English subtitles , a french version is also up there
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPQArPgLxX0

hey its all relevent, from the looks of the trailer the house looks to be a fortress!

another one i saw recently was Red Dawn, its about North Korea invading the US. Alot of bad reviews but i really enjoyed it.... Give me anything easy watching with loads of guns and explosions and im sold :o bit of a neanderthal i am...

I thought the film was about a Russian invasion so Googled it - seems that there's been a remake of the classic, starring Chris "Thor" Hemsworth - so much the better! :-)

I have made studying North Korea a hobby of mine after meeting an escapee a few years ago who put me into the (very limited) range of literature available on the country - fortunately their long range missiles can't reach the US but in the fiction of the film, in concert with the Russians the wily North Koreans use an EMP device to knock out the military.

Rest assured in reality there aren't any EMP devices big enough to knock out the whole USA(!), nor would it do a huge amount of good considering they'd still have submarines - let's just hope we don't have to find out though!

Funny, I was just talking to a friend about EMP's there yesterday. We both decided that war winning electronics (e.g. nuclear missiles and the like) would probably be inside Faraday cages (e.g. the launch tube, or possibly even portions of the bomb itself would be in a Faraday cage).

EMP definitely has the most potential to level the technological playing field though.

Funny, I was just talking to a friend about EMP's there yesterday. We both decided that war winning electronics (e.g. nuclear missiles and the like) would probably be inside Faraday cages (e.g. the launch tube, or possibly even portions of the bomb itself would be in a Faraday cage).

EMP definitely has the most potential to level the technological playing field though.

Even these days I think EMP related fiction has an overexaggerated emphasis on our reliance on computers. For instance every tank I've been inside didn't have a computer - I really don't know enough about it to talk at length but of course as preppers we'll be able to weather this particular storm as we're familiar with low tech methods of living (He says as he types away at his laptop while his girlfriend fries bacon in the microwave.) :-D

• Advertisement

Well i for one would welcome an emp because if im homest id love a break from all this technology for a while!! Anyone watch Revolution?? :)

Well i for one would welcome an emp because if im homest id love a break from all this technology for a while!! Anyone watch Revolution?? :)
    One of my big regrets re: The Day the Earth Stood Still is it doesn't deal with how humanity survives without modern technology.

Does Revolution deal with that theme then?

One of my big regrets re: The Day the Earth Stood Still is it doesn't deal with how humanity survives without modern technology.

Does Revolution deal with that theme then?
    That is the theme of it! I downloaded the first season and am watching it the odd time
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D0kYnvon6x0

Revolution's OK. Making my way through the first season. More than a bit of disbelief suspension for my liking, but watchable alright.

Revolution's OK. Making my way through the first season. More than a bit of disbelief suspension for my liking, but watchable alright.

I agree which is why i watch it the odd time and not every chance i get! The idea is great imo but the acting lets it down i think

The Reef (2010)
    Australia Shark attack film based on a true story of Ray Boundy in 1983
    not bad, realistic nothing spectacular just a Hungary shark, a boat, a reef, and five people. A lot better than most hollywood shark movies

6.5/10

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Reef_(2010_film)

Saw it a few weeks ago, good film alrite

The true story of Kingsley Ofosu ,one of a group of nine African stowaways aboard the cargo ship Mc Ruby in 1992.

Very good movie.Thumbs up from me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

New SHTF drama starting on CH4 next Monday at 9pm.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/what-happens-if-the-lights-go-out-channel-4-drama-blackout-imagines-a-post-cyberattack-britain-8779207.html
    It follows events over five days after a nationwide power cut, showing how the general public, the police and hospitals try to deal with it, and mixes scenes shot on phones and camcorders with footage recorded during actual power cuts and other emergencies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2d1OIC1Ziw You'll love this one and if your a gamer you'll know why!!!

Advertisement