Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to bang Donna - It's always Sunny in Philadelphia Dubstep/Drumstep track

Options
  • 23-12-2011 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I made this track over the last few days incorporating samples of Frank and Mac from the tv series "It's always Sunny in Philadelphia". The samples are from the episode "The gang gives Frank an intervention" in season 5. It's prime stuff mainly due to how beautifully horrific Danny DeVito is in that episode, haha!

Anyhow, it's probably my best work to date and is my first proper Drumstep track. Tell me what you think!

http://soundcloud.com/decitronic/how-to-bang-donna-decitronic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Drumstep? That's a new one for my genre lexicon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

The highs are way too scratchy and the beat is very basic imo.

I would consider the mixdown to be headache inducing in a club so would definitely suggest taking the edge of the highs.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Decitronic

Cheers for that, I really appreciate it! You're definitely right about the high end, would you suggest simply just eqing off some of the high end or would I be better use a grungelizer or such?

Any tips for making the bit more interesting? I didn't want to do too much with the kick and snare. Perhaps I should add in some more ride and maybe some more non-typical percussion sounds. I was thinking of adding in a few breath sounds and such as percussion.

Thanks again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Decitronic wrote: »
    Cheers for that, I really appreciate it! You're definitely right about the high end, would you suggest simply just eqing off some of the high end or would I be better use a grungelizer or such?

I think we'd all suggest rolling off some of the hi's - but I think we'd all be wrong.

Bright is good. And I like the krunkciness of some of those sounds.

Though I do know what's wrong with it and why it sounds a little annoying.

Dubstep rhythms are a biatch. dnb, and dubstep have always been like an electronic jazz music - jazz isn't just random plinkity plonk - you realise this when someone who doesn't know what they're doing tries to make jazz.

The hi-hat patterns are annoying, because they're not in total agreement with the rest of the rhythm structure. I can't program dubstep patterns very well - I've played around with it, and it's a thing of practice. All the percussion has to be in agreement.

One thing you didn't do with your percussion is volume rides in - dynamics. So like a hi-hat pattern shuffles in at yah, or out from yah. Same with the kicks; they shouldn't all be the same volume. But it has to make rhythmic sense.

I hate that squiggly noise you have in their. But that dubby piano riff you have is good. You should bring out the dancing element in it. Find your inner dancing snake and make it dance. Sorry, I couldn't resist using a cod cosmic metaphor.

When all the rhythms are in agreement, you'll feel yourself bob to the music, yah know what I mean.

Any tips for making the bit more interesting? I didn't want to do too much with the kick and snare. Perhaps I should add in some more ride and maybe some more non-typical percussion sounds. I was thinking of adding in a few breath sounds and such as percussion.

Throw the kitchen sink at it... the more surprises the better - Afish -in - ad -oohs off this music like surprises. Remember though, it is a bit like making a pizza. You could be overloading it. And remember it's not a democracy where every element has an equal right to be heard - some elements deserve to be heard more than others.

try ghost kicks aswell - they're at such a low volume you don't really hear them but they'll play the rhythm better.

It think you should keep the brightness.

How did you do the basses?

Advertisement