Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I love how we go straight to De Gea to give him a whack with the blame stick. The defense for that corner was atrocious. We really do struggle with corners and crosses this season, especially without Vidic. De Gea has been stuck on the bench for a month in his first season in a new country and league. Yes he has had **** ups but to not blame the defense along with him is stupid.
    Its the keepers job to organise his defence. United been fine for corners when Lindegaard been between the sticks. What was he doing bending down wrestling with Carrol for the first goal!!:rolleyes:. Should of been standing up straight as tall as possible and been ready for the header/shot. Basic stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I wish I was sad to be out of the cup but I would prefer to be out than have a replay.

Now as per the rest of the season (;)) I was happy to see Evans continued his recent run of good form, as did Carrick and Valencia as they will all be so important the next few games. Smalling needs new boots as he keeps falling over.

United need to find a way to get Welbeck involved when he is up front alone in future games. I'm not sure Park is the right man for that job - maybe its something Young can be asked to do.

Its clear Berba's time is up.

Good Luck to Diouf in Germany - one of those signings that could have went either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I wish I was sad to be out of the cup but I would prefer to be out than have a replay.
    I wouldn't,while its not ideal to have an extra game I would have rathered get them back to O.T than lose.
    Anyone that says any different is only codding themselves.
    Maybe if it was someone else but not Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

Now as per the rest of the season (;)) I was happy to see Evans continued his recent run of good form, as did Carrick and Valencia as they will all be so important the next few games. Smalling needs new boots as he keeps falling over.

United need to find a way to get Welbeck involved when he is up front alone in future games. I'm not sure Park is the right man for that job - maybe its something Young can be asked to do.

Its clear Berba's time is up.

Good Luck to Diouf in Germany - one of those signings that could have went either way.
    This makes me laugh:D.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    I wouldn't,while its not ideal to have an extra game I would have rathered get them back to O.T than lose.
    Anyone that says any different is only codding themselves.
    Maybe if it was someone else but not Liverpool.

No I'm not codding myself at all.

I would rather not deal with a replay against Liverpool when we have to play them in the League a few days later. United have enough tough games coming up with an injury hit squad.

In another season I would prefer a replay, not this one.

I am not happy to be out of the cup, not happy with the loss, saying either would be codding myself.

I am happy we don't have a replay to deal with though.
    PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    This makes me laugh.

Chuckle away genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

but not Liverpool.

Genuinely 100% they mean nothimg to me, and I feel the same about the Ajax game.

If that was a league game is be like a cnut right now :)

Trilla wrote: »
    Genuinely 100% they mean nothimg to me, and I feel the same about the Ajax game.

Oh dear:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

but not Liverpool.

But think about Facebook....work/school/college....they're ****ing everywhere aaaaaarrrrgggh!!! :)
    Seriously though,the cup means nothing to me either but I wouldn't turn my nose up at another chance with a fitter squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Disappointed to get knocked out by Liverpool of all teams, but I thought we were the better side and considering this was basically a second string side away to our fiercest rivals I can't say it it's all that bad.

Scholes was class today.

I am not Park biggest fan, but lover his workrate, but I have to say for a guy that is quite small the man's balance is horrendous. Every time he seems to have the ball he look's like he going to fall on his hole.

Once we win league game at OT I be more then happy.

So from what I read Man Utd fans on here dont care coz its "only the cup". And losing to Liverpool is really not a big deal. Come off it FFS!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Sure it was only The Fa Cup... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

2 fans thought something along those lines = all ? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Im very excited about the Ajax game . .

United has a chance to win the only competition the club and Sir Alex havent won.

We have a young squad and a tournament in which to blood them. I know many on these forums are prob only seeing their first squad transitional period/cleanout, but for the longer term fans, we have seen this countless times.

Its usually the ones who show faith in Sir Alex and his players that dont end up looking like idiots.

For me, injuries have been our biggest problem this season. I dont believe Paul Scholes would be playing for us now but for the chronic list of injuries. Nor do I think Giggs would be needed so much.

DDG has been unlucky. He is an extremely young goalkeeper (prob too young) that has had to play with an inconsistant defencive lineup all season. His confidence is just shattered , which at that age is everything. Being a goalkeeper with low confidence screws the best keepers in the world. The ideal scenario would of been to have VDS help blood him in slowly this season. I have no doubt he has the quality to be a hero for the club, but fear that the pressure being put on him by the 10 second memory, rag reading masses, could eventually force him out.

I took alot of heart from the game today as we dominated it (how many times over the last few years have better united teams not?) and on another day would of won.

My rest of season wants are for us to show some sort of progression that we can look forward to next season. I would love to win one of the final trophies we can still win.

I hope we can get our players back fit and that the likes of Jones, Anderson, Cleverley, Wellbeck, Smalling and Young all get alot of consistant playingtime to prove their worth.

So from what I read Man Utd fans on here dont care coz its "only the cup". And losing to Liverpool is really not a big deal. Come off it FFS!!;)

Some fans say this, some are very annoyed United lost today. But you are ignoring those posters to have a dig at a few.

Losing to Liverpool is a big deal - when the circumstances are right. If United lose the League game it will be a HUGE deal to all fans.

This shouldn't be news to anyone who followed the thread all week.

• Advertisement

Disappointed to get knocked out by Liverpool of all teams, but I thought we were the better side and considering this was basically a second string side away to our fiercest rivals I can't say it it's all that bad.

Scholes was class today.

I am not Park biggest fan, but lover his workrate, but I have to say for a guy that is quite small the man's balance is horrendous. Every time he seems to have the ball he look's like he going to fall on his hole.

Once we win league game at OT I be more then happy.
    Second string me hole. I wouldnt be getting too cocky about your second assumption.You should replace the word "once" with "if". But being a munu fan it stands to reason why youve phrased it like that.

Some fans say this, some are very annoyed United lost today. But you are ignoring those posters to have a dig at a few.

Losing to Liverpool is a big deal - when the circumstances are right. If United lose the League game it will be a HUGE deal to all fans.

This shouldn't be news to anyone who followed the thread all week.
    The ones who are arent annoyed to lose against Liverpool arent real Man U supporters. Its like a Celtic fan saying he doesnt care about being knocked out of the cup by rangers "coz its only the cup". Madness.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Im very excited about the Ajax game . .

United has a chance to win the only competition the club and Sir Alex havent won.

We have a young squad and a tournament in which to blood them. I know many on these forums are prob only seeing their first squad transitional period/cleanout, but for the longer term fans, we have seen this countless times.

Its usually the ones who show faith in Sir Alex and his players that dont end up looking like idiots.

For me, injuries have been our biggest problem this season. I dont believe Paul Scholes would be playing for us now but for the chronic list of injuries. Nor do I think Giggs would be needed so much.

DDG has been unlucky. He is an extremely young goalkeeper (prob too young) that has had to play with an inconsistant defencive lineup all season. His confidence is just shattered , which at that age is everything. Being a goalkeeper with low confidence screws the best keepers in the world. The ideal scenario would of been to have VDS help blood him in slowly this season. I have no doubt he has the quality to be a hero for the club, but fear that the pressure being put on him by the 10 second memory, rag reading masses, could eventually force him out.

I took alot of heart from the game today as we dominated it (how many times over the last few years have better united teams not?) and on another day would of won.

My rest of season wants are for us to show some sort of progression that we can look forward to next season. I would love to win one of the final trophies we can still win.

I hope we can get our players back fit and that the likes of Jones, Anderson, Cleverley, Wellbeck, Smalling and Young all get alot of consistant playingtime to prove their worth.

Agree entirely with this.

It's not all doom and gloom. Fair play to Liverpool they took their chances, but I felt United more then matched them today with a second string side.

No Rooney, Nani, Rio, Vidic, Jones, Young, Cleverly, Anderson.

Only thing that disappointed me today is that we should have created few more chances.

Had Valencia shot went in things may have been different, but thats if's and but's like many games in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Second string me hole. I wouldnt be getting too cocky about your second assumption.You should replace the word "once" with "if". But being a munu fan it stands to reason why youve phrased it like that.

Name what you think is our first team then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Rio, Vidic, Cleverley, Jones, Fletcher, Anderson, Young, Nani and Rooney all out of todays game - you don't think that consistutes playing with a weakened team?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

The way I see it is that it's hard to take as always, but it would've been much rougher had it been in the league.

I don't understand why people would prefer to beat by Liverpool in a cup game rather than a league game.

If you lose in the league, you have 37 other games to recover.

If you get beat in a cup game its bye bye.

Strange philosophy.

baz2009 wrote: »
    The way I see it is that it's hard to take as always, but it would've been much rougher had it been in the league.

+1

I hate to get beat to Liverpool in anything, but winning league>fa cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

djPSB wrote: »
    I don't understand why people would prefer to beat by Liverpool in a cup game rather than a league game.

Strange philosophy.

League is more important.

The ones who are arent annoyed to lose against Liverpool arent real Man U supporters. Its like a Celtic fan saying he doesnt care about being knocked out of the cup by rangers "coz its only the cup". Madness.

I imagine every United fan is annoyed that the match was lost.

Just some (me included) are not too upset about the consequences.

Strange philosophy.

Because we are already behind City in the league - given the choice between going out of the cup or dropping more points in the league, I will take going out of the cup. League games will always take priority, over all cup competitions, for me. FA Cup, League Cup, Europa League and Champions League, all behind league for me.

Strange philosophy.

Well I cant remember United ever playing Liverpool on first day of season;), but winning and losing to Liverpool has cost us and won us leagues in the past.

Nobody is saying they are delighted or anything, just placing things into perspective.

Well I cant remember United ever playing Liverpool on first day of season;), but winning and losing to Liverpool has cost us and won us leagues in the past.

Nobody is saying they are delighted or anything, just placing things into perspective.

A defeat in a league game isn't as crucial as a defeat in a cup game. You can afford to lose 4/5 league games in a season, but a defeat in a Cup game means your out.

Looking forward to the league game.

Strange philosophy.

If you lose the 25th game of the season you only have 13 left to recover and could be 6/9 points behind the leaders starting off.

The root of the philosophy is League > FA Cup.

Backed up by the run of Fixtures United have coming up in the league. Seriously this has been discussed all week.

Personally speaking. winning the FA cup is not that big of a deal if you genuinely challenged for and failed to win the league. Its great to win it if you were never in the running for the league.

If you lose the 25th game of the season you only have 13 left to recover and could be 6/9 points behind the leaders starting off.

The root of the philosophy is League > FA Cup.

Backed up by the run of Fixtures United have coming up in the league. Seriously this has been discussed all week.

Personally speaking. winning the FA cup is not that big of a deal if you genuinely challenged for and failed to win the league. Its great to win it if you were never in the running for the league.

The pressure is on Fergie now. Really needs to win the league after todays exit.

Even though there's still the Europa Cup, but United fans don't seem too bothered about that.

When was the last time United went a season without winning any silverware?

Squeaky Bum Time.

• Advertisement

The pressure is on Fergie now. Really needs to win the league after todays exit.

Even though there's still the Europa Cup, but United fans don't seem too bothered about that.

When was the last season United went without winning any silverware?

Squeaky Bum Time.

The FA Cup exit does not put more pressure on SAF at all.

The same way as City beating United in the FA cup, at the semi final stage didn't increase Pressure on SAF to win the league or champions league last season.

Its not 1990 anymore.

+1

I hate to get beat to Liverpool in anything, but winning league>fa cup
    Lose league(very possible) and the FA cup is decent silverware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

I Haven't read the last pages so apologise if it's been brought up already but why didn't Lindegard start today? It's a ridiculous decision to play DeGea for that game after not playing since Blackburn before the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Yeah UTD are a **** team alright

De Gea needs to hit the gym.

yes - true.

No one is actually saying different.

What we are saying is that we would put the league over the FA Cup and would prefer defeat in the FA Cup than in the League.

I really don't see why you are having such a hard time with this.

Were we wanting United to lose today? No. Are we really happy we lost? No. Are we putting the defeat in perspective? Yes.

Had we played terribly with a first choice side I would be very disappointed and annoyed - but we played quite well with a crap load of our first choice players out, i'm not disappointed with the performance and I am not apoplectic with the consequences of the defeat - a defeat in the league would have been far more devastating.

If United won the FA Cup you would probably say " HaHa its only a cup competition - means shag all when you lost out on the league to Citeh. Papers over the cracks", or something similar to get a rise out of people

You should just let me post for you, it would save you a lot of time.

He's still very cowardly though.

You won't get brave by going to the gym.

Lindegaard is a better keeper. For now anyway.

Should go for Given in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

This.

Let Ben Amos be sub keeper to Lindegaard for the season and let De Gea hit the gym and fight for his place next season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

We don't sack our managers after a few bad months or a couple of barren seasons.

There's always pressure on Fergie, he puts it on himself. It's why he's so successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

He's still very cowardly though.

You won't get brave by going to the gym.

Lindegaard is a better keeper. For now anyway.

Should go for Given in the summer.

Jesus christ.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Kuyts shot was straight at him though. He wasnt even set for the first goal as Southgate said..
    He dives at the ball with the wrong hand half the time. Stands too far to one side of the goal alot of the time. Terrible concentration. A small keeper and he wont get any taller. Seems queit, shy and not vocal enough. I know the latter can be improved as he ages but he doesnt even do the basics right. I guarantee if Fergie could sell him on for a decent fee or turn back time he would never have signed him.

He's 6 ft 4 in, that's a pretty good height for a keeper. The rest of your post is sh1t too.

Jesus christ.....

yep - we need a keeper strong on crosses so we should go for Given, clearly the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

yep - we need a keeper strong on crosses so we should go for Given, clearly the way to go.

Wasn't it Bateman going on about signing Given a few months ago?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Blatter wrote: »
    Wasn't it Bateman going on about signing Given a few months ago?:pac:

Check out the posters last two initials. :eek::eek:

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I'm getting a lift into college from one on the lads on Monday morning. He supports Liverpool. Ugh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I'm getting a lift into college from one on the lads on Monday morning. He supports Liverpool. Ugh...

Walk. Seriously!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Nevermind, it's all about the league. Hopefully Rooney and Nani back. Number 20 is a possibility. That's what it's about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This.

Let Ben Amos be sub keeper to Lindegaard for the season and let De Gea hit the gym and fight for his place next season.

No, because that would be utterly retarded.

Given is brave in the air though. He isn't a calamity like De Gea.

De Gea is just afraid.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement