Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Walk. Seriously!

Walk alone . . Always walk alone . . :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Bit sad to see Diouf go. Wish him all the best none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

or maybe give Ben Foster another chance.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

djPSB wrote: »
    or maybe give Ben Foster another chance.

Here PARKHEAD, drag this one back under the rock you normally dwell under. He strikes me to be similar to you, in that you only appear after a manchester united defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

The vampire looked very dodgy all day. Lindegard's run in the team looks justified now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

not sure if its been posted but sky sports news reporting that alex physically lashed out at De Gea in the tunnel afetr the match.

Any idea if true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Should have started PIG today ¬_¬

Seriously though, with the height advantage Liverpool had, along with De Gea's lack of confidence at them, we should have been giving away set pieces today.

There was no end product either. I don't understand why Welbeck, who is a great finisher, and Valencia, who can supply crosses all day couldn't link up properly. Liverpool were a shambles in midfield, and any striker worth his salt should have been able to break that defense. There was a distinct lack of creativity today.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

redzerdrog wrote: »
    not sure if its been posted but sky sports news reporting that alex physically lashed out at De Gea in the tunnel afetr the match.

Any idea if true?

I think that's SkySporksNews on twitter mate. Don't be fooled!

Edit: here's the tweet
    SkySporksNews: BREAKING; Sky Sources say Sir Alex Ferguson has physically lashed out at David De Gea in the Liverpool tunnel following their defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

ha ha cheers never even copped that just saw it retweeted by someone :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Fergie said he wouldnt make the same mistake he did after Schmeichel left but he has, De Gea will come good eventually but they should have bought an experienced keeper like Julio Cesar or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The pressure is on Fergie now. Really needs to win the league after todays exit.

Even though there's still the Europa Cup, but United fans don't seem too bothered about that.

When was the last time United went a season without winning any silverware?

Squeaky Bum Time.

retarded. Love it. Thanks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

cambo2008 wrote: »
    But think about Facebook....work/school/college....they're ****ing everywhere aaaaaarrrrgggh!!! :)
    Seriously though,the cup means nothing to me either but I wouldn't turn my nose up at another chance with a fitter squad.

Don't get me wrong I know thats annoying but it doesn't bug me as much as others do. Liverpool are just another team to me to be honest! I laugh off that kinda crap....after all its just banter and theres no need to be worked up over it. I never really throw it back, beit in the real world or on here.

Another thing that was somewhat pleasant to today was how we played. We were missing a lot of players and put in a good display in Pools backyard. Not saying we had the "moral victory" though but was refreshing nonetheless:D

Its not nice to be out of the FA cup. Yes it would be nice to get a run in the Europa league too but the reason why myself and some others aren't gutted tonight displays what we think of the importance and our capacity to catch City as apposed to how we feel for other competitions. I think!

The league is the priority. The cup is lesser priority but still not nice to be knocked out of it. Losing to Liverpool is not nice either especially if you're going to get an earfull in work/school/mass/tinternet, Europa cup would be interesting but... all of this is vastly second to challenging for the league, epsecially as its City and they've raised the bar again imo.

Roll on Tuesday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

bullvine wrote: »
    Fergie said he wouldnt make the same mistake he did after Schmeichel left but he has, De Gea will come good eventually but they should have bought an experienced keeper like Julio Cesar or similar.

Julio Cesar has been poor for a while now - wouldn't touch off him.

De Gea is a quality goalkeeper that hasn't fully adjusted to the EPL yet. He needs to develop a good presence in the box and needs to keep his levels of concentration high throughout 90 mins. The rest of his attributes are extremely impressive given his age.

He has the potential to become a goalkeeping great and I'm delighted we have him tbh. I honestly wouldn't have bought someone else in the Summer. If we stick with this guy and ride out the learning curves we could be set with a top class goalkeeper for the next 15 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Blatter wrote: »
    De Gea is a quality goalkeeper that hasn't fully adjusted to the EPL yet. He needs to develop a good presence in the box and needs to keep his levels of concentration high throughout 90 mins. The rest of his attributes are extremely impressive given his age.

Absolutely 100 % agree with this. He has the potential to develop into a great keeper over the next number of years - yes he has problems now but it a long term solution.

How many good keepers is their in the premier league under 25? Not very many - Joe "exagerrated dive" Hart is the exception
    Looking forward to the league game.
    I wouldn't be so confident troll, your midfield got dominated by Scholes and Giggs today if Young or Cleverly are back the outlook might not be so bright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

_58157414_degea.jpg

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson backed goalkeeper David de Gea despite the 2-1 FA Cup fourth-round defeat by Liverpool at Anfield.

De Gea, recalled in place of Anders Lindegaard for the fourth-round tie, hesitated to claim Steven Gerrard's first-half corner, allowing Daniel Agger to head into an unguarded net.

United's Ji Sung-Park levelled before Dirk Kuyt struck a last-gasp winner.

"Our own players created a problem for the first goal," said Ferguson.

"They didn't give him [De Gea] enough room to deal with it."

Ferguson believes 11-time winners United did not deserve to be dumped out of the competition after dominating possession.

But the Scot admitted both goals were avoidable, with Kuyt allowed to run free before smashing Andy Carroll's flick-on past De Gea in the 88th minute.

"The winning goal was a big blow - we didn't deserve that," said Ferguson.

"It was a really good performance but in the context of what an FA Cup tie is like that can happen.

"Just one breakaway and you can lose the game. It's a sudden death situation.

"But I'm pleased with the players - they performed very well, dominated the game and didn't deserve to be beaten.

"We were the better team but that's the FA Cup, I'm afraid."

Liverpool counterpart Kenny Dalglish reflected on a "fantastic" week for his club after victory against United secured a double cup success over Manchester opposition.

The Reds reached their first Wembley final since 1996 by beating Manchester City in the Carling Cup semi-final on Wednesday.

But the week started badly for Dalglish and his players after a 3-1 loss at Premier League rivals Bolton.

He said: "It's been a fantastic week for the players. Everyone realises the history of the football club and the players want to be part of it.

"It was a magnificent effort from them. After the game on Wednesday, to come back on Saturday morning and win showed tremendous commitment and great heart.

"United might have been the better side and had more possession but, other than them hitting the woodwork once, [goalkeeper] Pepe [Reina] didn't have that much to do."

He added: "The week started badly for us at Bolton, but it's a fantastic credit to the players and how much pride they take in the club that they've got themselves back on track.

"They've come out on the right side of two huge cup games."

DID YOU KNOW?

Manchester United failed to reach the FA Cup fifth round for only the second time in 11 seasons. The previous occasion came when they were beaten 1-0 by Leeds United in the third round in 2010

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16772788.stm

It will be very interesting to see if SAF switches back to Lindegaard for Stoke next week; I think he will. Chelsea and Liverpool after that, might be Ajax before De Gea gets a game again. The outfield players are more to blame for the goals, but I don't think he showed enough confidence to warrant starting the next three ahead of Lindegaard.

SAF did well today I think, changing Park to centre helped a lot. Had little choice but to take Scholes off due to fatigue which is when Liverpool took the ascendancy. I think he would have liked to more midfield attacking options available on the bench.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

OOps sorry put this in the wrong thread, my bad.

Dcully wrote: »
    racist footballer

Take your racist mate to the other thread where he is welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Looks like he knocked that kid over, somebody should have reported him to the RSPCC. :D

d22ontour wrote: »
    Looks like he knocked that kid over, somebody should have reported him to the RSPCC. :D

Think with all that money he would get those buck teeth sorted. Looks a state :) If Luke Chadwick can do it...

• Advertisement

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Think with all that money he would get those buck teeth sorted. Looks a state :) If Luke Chadwick can do it...

That's a horrendous comment to make about somebody's appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

That's a horrendous comment to make about somebody's appearance.

Least he's not racist!!

I can't understand why some fans love the 'hate' part of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Please put in a sneaky bid for Marvin Martin. Pleeeease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I can't understand why some fans love the 'hate' part of the game.

And I can't understand certain other clubs' fans obsession with united when they have much deeper problems of their own - c' est la vie :rolleyes:

And I can't understand certain other clubs' fans obsession with united when they have much deeper problems of their own - c' est la vie :rolleyes:

I think it's because playing Manchester United is the highlight of many teams season, comme aujourd'hui ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It worries me so much that now on top of the Midfield problem we've had for a while and which hasn't been fixed, we now also have a problem up front. Am I the only one who thinks what we are in serious need of right now is a guy like Van Persie or Ba; someone who you can count on to score?

It seems I'm more shocked when we do score a goal in most games nowadays. We're dominating posession but not converting that into shots, let alone goals...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Hernandez?

It worries me so much that now on top of the Midfield problem we've had for a while and which hasn't been fixed, we now also have a problem up front. Am I the only one who thinks what we are in serious need of right now is a guy like Van Persie or Ba; someone who you can count on to score?

It seems I'm more shocked when we do score a goal in most games nowadays. We're dominating posession but not converting that into shots, let alone goals...

Don't think there is a big problem; today Wellbeck didn't get too many passes he could run on to; he nearly rounded Reina when he did get such a pass. Too often they tried to link up with him so he could play a return pass or hold up the ball.

I have said this before, but the difference in the last season or two has been the amount of chances we create compared to before.

I remember before if United would be 3-0 down I still would think we could actually come back(often did), but now we go goal down and I really start to worry.

Even with past teams after they got late winner today had that happened a few season back you could nearly guarantee that United would go up the other end and create one last chance if not a few to get an equaliser.

Today when they got the winner I actually just thought "Game Over", again would not happen before.

I will stress though that the injuries were a factor to be fair and any team would seriously miss the likes of Rooney and Nani from the side.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Take your racist mate to the other thread where he is welcome.

Take a chill pill.
    It was a gif and intended for todays match thread,i never post in here hence why i deleted it and apologised for my error.

• Advertisement

I have said this before, but the difference in the last season or two has been the amount of chances we create compared to before.

I remember before if United would be 3-0 down I still would think we could actually come back(often did), but now we go goal down and I really start to worry.

Even with past teams after they got late winner today had that happened a few season back you could nearly guarantee that United would go up the other end and create one last chance if not a few to get an equaliser.

Today when they got the winner I actually just thought "Game Over", again would not happen before.

I will stress though that the injuries were a factor to be fair and any team would seriously miss the likes of Rooney and Nani from the side.

Its been a long time since I thought we could comeback from 2 or 3 goals down. Last season we actually made a habit of giving 2 goal leads away .

We never replaced Keanes strength in midfield and now we cant replace Scholes creativity either. We had played 3 cms in bigger games and relied on good players everywhere else (especially defence) in the last few years.

People keep talking about Scholes/Henry coming back to EPL, but I think it shows how little talent there is available more then it being desperation on the part of the clubs. Why wasnt United getting Larson for 3 months desperation ? People just get hysterical all too quickly! I have seen people give lists of players whom they think would fit in at United, but why arent everybody else trying to buy these players up if they are so good ? Madrid, Chelsea and City are not afraid to pay ridiculous money to fill their bench with players they dont want anybody else having and United have a decent scouting system.

I will judge this team when we get our injured back and they get a decent run in the team, otherwise we are just talking about how dissapointed we are about our season (as opposed to discussing the real ability of the squad).

I might have missed it, but does anybody know how long Nani is out for?

I might have missed it, but does anybody know how long Nani is out for?

According to Physioroom 5th feb .

http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/epl_injury_table.php

Drumpot wrote: »

Cheers.

Hopefully Rooney might be back for Stoke.

Hopefully Rooney might be back for Stoke.

I'm heading over to that one with the old boy. I'm hoping to see a good reaction from the lads. I'd say they felt that one after the possession and situations they had today to win the game.

Is there anyone confirmed back for it other than Rio?

Trilla wrote: »
    I'm heading over to that one with the old boy. I'm hoping to see a good reaction from the lads. I'd say they felt that one after the possession and situations they had today to win the game.

Is there anyone confirmed back for it other than Rio?

Don't think anybody is confirmed back Trilla, not what I heard off anyway. Maybe someone else knows more.

Don't think anybody is confirmed back Trilla, not what I heard off anyway. Maybe someone else knows more.

Not even Rio?

P.S Jerrymay off winning streak is oddly very hot! (sorry off topic)

I presume Rooney will be back (touch and go for todays game). .

Im not saying that I am happy that we are out of FA cup and CL, but in terms of only playing one match a week for awhile, it will certainly help for the next month or so . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Hindsight is a great thing but we might have been better off bringing in DeGea before VDR retired, he's too young for the pressure yet. Lindegaard has to start from now on and let the young lad bulk up a bit and mature.

Hindsight is a great thing but we might have been better off bringing in DeGea before VDR retired, he's too young for the pressure yet. Lindegaard has to start from now on and let the young lad bulk up a bit and mature.

I was only talking to a friend about this the otherday. Shame we couldnt keep VDS this season to help De Gea bed in . .

Can anybody remember if Lindegaard is good at corners ? I know DDG is not strong on corners, but teams are specifically focusing on him. . There is more pressure physically and psychologically on DDG, just trying to workout how good our no2 is . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

He has the potential to become a goalkeeping great and I'm delighted we have him tbh. I honestly wouldn't have bought someone else in the Summer. If we stick with this guy and ride out the learning curves we could be set with a top class goalkeeper for the next 15 years.

Totally agree with you on this. Anyone remember what VDS and Schmeichel were like at 20? That's right, they were nothing like the Goalkeepers they became in the last decade of their careers. De Gea is a kid, but in goalkeeping terms he's a bloody infant. At an age when most players go into decline, Goalkeepers begin to refine their art. The talent is undoubtedly there and he is going through a normal process of adjustment. He will bulk up over the next couple of seasons, increasing his power and strength. The physically dominating presence in the area will naturally result from this process. I wouldn't swap the lad for anyone because he will become something special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Eh lads, anyone got any idea when was the last time Fergie had a fully fit squad to choose from? Seems like ages ago since we haven't read about another injury in any given week.

alproctor wrote: »
    Eh lads, anyone got any idea when was the last time Fergie had a fully fit squad to choose from? Seems like ages ago since we haven't read about another injury in any given week.

About three years ago I reckon.

Has something happened at carrington ? this reminds me of Spurs injury problems a couple of seasons ago . .

There are players careers being ended (Heargreaves and Fletch?) and players with chronic injuries, its just mad! Every other week a player is getting injured, it cant be just a case of luck . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Has something happened at carrington ? this reminds me of Spurs injury problems a couple of seasons ago . .

There are players careers being ended (Heargreaves and Fletch?) and players with chronic injuries, its just mad! Every other week a player is getting injured, it cant be just a case of luck . .

Hargreaves career isn't over, as there is no way he would have went over the road if their docs thought he was fecked.

And Fletcher has a medical condition, and was just as likely to happen to me, you, ar anyone as it was to Fletcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Hargeaves was crocked when signed, Fletcher has that disease a number of years apparently, it seems to be unfortunate though Arsenal seem to have the same kind of endless injury lists as well.

Go back a few pages, I was talking about this issue a couple of days ago. I left it alone though because if you go all medical and physiological, people get bored I think and I can't blame them tbh.

Hargreaves career isn't over, as there is no way he would have went over the road if their docs thought he was fecked.

And Fletcher has a medical condition, and was just as likely to happen to me, you, ar anyone as it was to Fletcher.

Heargreaves career is pretty much over, certainly as a top midfielder . . City dont play him much and few teams were interested in signing him (for a quality player like that, its very odd).

I accept what you are saying about Fletcher, but it just seems like theres an awful lot of things going wrong in the physioroom or training ground. The amount of injuries we are getting either suggests that we have players prone to injury or they are not getting the right treatment. I dont believe that the injuries that have plagued the team for the last two seasons have been unfortunate coincidences.

As much as I defend Sir Alex 99.9% of the time, could some of these injuries be players being dropped ? Somebody mentioned the whole "we never come back from 2 down anymore". Well I dont think that the modern footballer has the mindset of United teams of old and perhaps Sir Alex still goes old school and drops players behind the scenes ? Just throwing it out there!

Meh, was my attitude for the Cup game all week. The Europa Cup was an unexpected strain on depleted resources as it is. So losing today was a none issue for me, because the League has to be number 1. Worse case scenario, a first Europa Cup title would compensate nicely if the league is not to be this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Thats great if yiur stoke everton,sunderland or who ever we are manchester utd we need someone GREAT not good GREAT between th sticks as Roy keane said today.
    Imagine what the ex great keepers are saying about DDG,He is great for the reserves ,not to command the back line of the first team which he has never done that VDS was a master at it pushing his defenders into where he wants them not telling them when there wrong just saying ah grand you stay were ya like. then the ball will come my direction hit me on the head go in then I will react.We can say its nervous or what ever but how many trophies are we going to loose because of this fella?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement