Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Blatter wrote: »
    The evidence you're using is very selective though. He has showed plenty of positives so far as well as negatives. The same as any 20 year old talented player that has just moved country really.

I haven't read any stories of him struggling to settle into Manchester, so it's impossible to tell how much of an issue leaving Madrid was for him.

The unfortunate thing about being a goalkeeper is that if you are consistently making errors, which he is, you are very unlikely to be afforded the time to develop and mature, especially at a club like United.

Tim Howard and Ben Foster for example, are both fine keepers, both struggled to make it at United. Both probably had better starts to their Utd careers too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

baz2009 wrote: »
    Eriksen is playing for Ajax on ESPN atm, if anyone's interested! Scored a peach of a goal in the first half.

It was a great goal. I like the fact that we drew them in the EL, means Fergie can have a good look at him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The unfortunate thing about being a goalkeeper is that if you are consistently making errors, which he is, you are very unlikely to be afforded the time to develop and mature, especially at a club like United.

Tim Howard and Ben Foster for example, are both fine keepers, both struggled to make it at United. Both probably had better starts to their Utd careers too.

Tim Howard was excellent when he first signed for United alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

De Gea was bought to be our No.1 and he should start as our No. 1. He made a few mistakes initially and then went on to have a couple of good months, getting Utd's player of the month even. Then he was dropped for a month and went back to making a few mistakes again, does anyone seriously think that was coincidental?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Anyone who didn't expect to see a process of adaptation from De Gea in his first season with United, are being totally unrealistic. The lad comes from the Continent, to a League renowned for its physicality and emphasis on high balls. Add in the fact that he's a skinny young kid who's still growing up and maybe some perspective might be had, but I doubt it somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Why should de gea start as number 1 just because he was bought for no1 and cost a lot.

Should he not have to earn his place like everyone else?

Wouldnt be a great msg to send out to others. lindegaard is the better keeper and is in better form but were going to play de gae because he cost more

Foster spent 5 years with United and Howard had 4 years. De Gea however has been a mere 6 months at united, so maybe give him another 3-4 years before making a comparative evaluation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Anyone who didn't expect to see a process of adaptation from De Gea in his first season with United, are being totally unrealistic. The lad comes from the Continent, to a League renowned for its physicality and emphasis on high balls. Add in the fact that he's a skinny young kid who's still growing up and maybe some perspective might be had, but I doubt it somehow.

I wonder how hard he is working on learning the language, which I think is important too.

If Ferguson keeps the faith with him through the summer I'd expect that the S&C coaches should be looking to put at least two stone of muscle on him. He is 6,4 and only 12 stone. That is very, very skinny.

Peter Schmeichel was 16 stone and same height.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Why should de gea start as number 1 just because he was bought for no1 and cost a lot.

Should he not have to earn his place like everyone else?

Wouldnt be a great msg to send out to others. lindegaard is the better keeper and is in better form but were going to play de gae because he cost more

He had his place, then was left out and brought back in randomly.

I think the point is, play the lad, or don't. But bringing him in and out of the team does no good.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭RT2010

Have to say, I just can't understand why we bought a young inexperienced goalkeeper with a biggish price tag, rather than going for an older world class keeper who would have cost the same or less.

It's widely known that most goalkeepers dont reach their peak until early to mid 30's (with some obvious exceptions) yet we went all out for a 20 year old who is still physically maturing and alien to the particular nuances of the premier league e.g. the aerial bombardment.

That said, I think in time that DeGea will turn into a fine goalkeeper, and has had plenty of solid games already. Just in my opinion I don't see whats wrong with buying an established keeper to be No1 every 6-7 years and then hopefully a young goalkeeper comes through the club at some stage and is good enough to either take over from or take the place of the goalkeeper at that time.

• Advertisement

I wonder how hard he is working on learning the language, which I think is important too.

If Ferguson keeps the faith with him through the summer I'd expect that the S&C coaches should be looking to put at least two stone of muscle on him. He is 6,4 and only 12 stone. That is very, very skinny.

Peter Schmeichel was 16 stone and same height.

I have no idea how good his English is but it's a good point you make. I'm sure learning it though is an obvious priority with defence communication ect. He is very frail at the moment, but he will undoubtedly bulk up over the next season or two. The good thing is though, when you start strength & power training training at such a young age. You tend to make your quickest gains in the first 1 - 2 years. He has the frame and the size will come, it just won't appear over night.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

DDG is grand, i expect next season he'll be as good as WS for Aresnal, and will continue to improve. First 6 months in the league have been better than Evra's and Vidic, it's only more noticable as his a GK.

Also apparently the rumour he wasn't starting the last month was SAF giving him a winter break (as he is used to), which makes sense to me.

I'm in it for the long haul with him, i'll chant his name and support him, and take the mistakes, he deserves at least a season to bed in.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If Valencia and Nani were able to bulk up, I'm sure De Gea will be able to do something similar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

19 times

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Trilla wrote: »
    19 times

20 in may. Bring it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Well we're getting a little bogged down in semantics. The general thrust of my argument remains the same. I'd be very surprised if De Gea develops both the physical and mental strength required over the next year or two years to be a success at United. It may well happen but I have my doubts.

No your trying to make it look like reina was 22 during his full first season at liverpool in an effort to show up de gea being way behind him at just a year younger, the simple fact is this De Gea is 2 years 2 months and 3 weeks younger when he signed for united then Reina was when he signed for liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

lordgoat wrote: »
    20 in may. Bring it.

And we've been in decline since Bruce and Pallister left :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

No your trying to make it look like reina was 22 during his full first season at liverpool in an effort to show up de gea being way behind him at just a year younger, the simple fact is this De Gea is 2 years 2 months and 3 weeks younger when he signed for united then Reina was when he signed for liverpool

Reina had played over 100 first team games for Villareal when he signed for Liverpool.

David De Gea has just crossed seventy first class games. He is a ridiculously inexperienced goalkeeper and his education behind the crepe paper that mascuradedas a defence at Atletico was hardly ideal. The guy needs a lot of time to develop into the role at United.

Any word on Rooney or Nani with a view to Stoke game on Tuesday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Seen Diouf is off to Germany is it a loan or permanent ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Joekers

United announce the departure of Mame Biram Diouf to Hannover 96. Good luck Mame! Send Mame your best wishes here... that's the united facebook

permanent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm amazed Tomaz Kuszczak hasn't managed to find himself a club. No chance at United and no chance of making the Poland squad for the Euro's at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

De Gea needs games. Continually being dropped will do nothing for his confidence. Mistakes were always likely to happen with such a young keeper. Its a joke how he is dropped for a month and brought back into an environment like Anfield after having any confidence which he might have had already shattered through continually being dropped.

If his confidance takes a hit every time he gets dropped, then that could be the problem. If a player gets dropped they usually work harder to reclaim their spot, not feel sorry for themselves. Next time they play, they look to show what they can do. De Gea, from what I've seen, hasnt done that.

If he hadnt cost so much, how many people would be saying he should be playing every game? I reckon very few. From what I've seen, he hasnt done anything to show that he should be playing every week. Lindegaard hasnt done much wrong but a lot of people seem happy to drop him seemingly just because he didnt cost as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Alan Smith has joined Mk Dons on loan til the end of the season.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    If his confidance takes a hit every time he gets dropped, then that could be the problem. If a player gets dropped they usually work harder to reclaim their spot, not feel sorry for themselves. Next time they play, they look to show what they can do. De Gea, from what I've seen, hasnt done that.

I'm not sure you know how confidence works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I'm amazed Tomaz Kuszczak hasn't managed to find himself a club. No chance at United and no chance of making the Poland squad for the Euro's at this point.
    Don't know if he actually cares! Couple of the lads were over for a game a few weeks ago and PIG 2was staying in the same hotel, on the piss with a bunch of mates! Gave h lad a loads tips of where they should go in Poland during the Euro's if they're there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

I don't actually think fergie dropped him lads. I remember at the start of the season it being said that he would be given a Christmas break because that's what he is used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

James__10 wrote: »
    Alan Smith has joined Mk Dons on loan til the end of the season.

Fall from grace eh...

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Fall from grace eh...
    Still won more than Liverpool. :D

alan-smith-wallpaper.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

rio available for stoke
    roo and nani should be available for chelsea
    tom c still 2 weeks away from full training? wtf?

jambofc wrote: »
    rio available for stoke
    roo and nani should be available for chelsea
    tom c still 2 weeks away from full training? wtf?

Any word on jones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

gnfnrhead wrote: »

If he hadnt cost so much, how many people would be saying he should be playing every game? I reckon very few. From what I've seen, he hasnt done anything to show that he should be playing every week. Lindegaard hasnt done much wrong but a lot of people seem happy to drop him seemingly just because he didnt cost as much.

You've made a fairly massive generalisation there. Some players might react like that but I'd wager the norm is the way De Gea is reacting. You seem to have a fairly nailed down view on what happens in players minds though. Somehow.

He has entered a foreign country at an extremely young age. This is a league which is notoriously hard to adapt to, and add to that the fact that he is under leagues more scrutiny than any other keeper in the world because he cost so much, is so young, plays for Man Utd, and was signed to replace one of the greatest goalkeepers of all time.

But he did cost a lot. There is no changing that. He was bought to be the United number 1. Therefore he should be Uniteds number 1. Sir Alex and everyone else knew that mistakes were surely going to happen and to say he was expected to be world class at 20 is just illogical. Especially in a position where the world class players are nearly exclusively in their 30's

He did actually win the player of the month a little while back so clearly somebody thinks he is doing something right. Its a bit tough to be dropped for a month and brought back into one of the most volatile experiences in English football. Furthermore the fact that he is so often dropped demonstrates a lack of confidence in him which other teams will look to capatilise on. E.g yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    Any word on jones?

nothing on jones but young also back training this week

Hope everyone can get back soon and stay fit for the rest of the season. We are gonna need a full squad firing on all cylinders for the run in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

anyone think we'll make a signing before deadline day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

UDAWINNER wrote: »

I wish . . . :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

wesleysneijder7.jpg

BELIEVE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Any (new) sources for the Wesley story?

Any (new) sources for the Wesley story?

Hopefully not cos if there is it will be just more cloptrop

• Advertisement

No, SAF will wait until the summer window I think. He never was a man for panic buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

Talksport are still going on about it. There 'dutch expert' was on yesterday sayin sneidjer has come out and said its still possible for him to move and a transfer would only take 4 hours. Utter bull****.

Sneidjer has been injured most of the first half of the season afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Marco85 wrote: »
    Talksport are still going on about it. There 'dutch expert' was on yesterday sayin sneidjer has come out and said its still possible for him to move and a transfer would only take 4 hours. Utter bull****.

600full-austin-powers-in-goldmember-screenshot.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

8725000633455_M.jpg

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Sneidjer has been injured most of the first half of the season afaik

Jaysus, wouldn't he just blend in perfectly with the squad then? Straight off the plane - onto the stretcher - transported to Carrignton - then admit him straight onto the sick ward to join the rest of the lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

That is the largest picture ever produced on the internet. I think you used all of Boards allocated bandwidth with that.

Edit: Ye shnake Mau5!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

SIR ALEX FERGUSON has his “new” midfield players for the title run in – Paul Scholes and Tom Cleverley.

Scholes, 37, has been Man United’s only signing of this month’s transfer window after coming out of retirement.

And Cleverley, 22, is close to a comeback after three months out with an ankle injury.

Fans have been concerned about United’s midfield after failed attempts to sign Wesley Sneijder, Luka Modric and Samir Nasri.

But United boss Ferguson said: “Scholes and Cleverley give us new, fresh players.

“Scholesy is doing terrific training. He’s very focused. It’s a bonus.

“And it will be great to have Cleverley back in a couple of weeks. He is a special player.

“He will be desperate to play with Scholes. We have a great collection of midfield players.”

United are without Darren Fletcher for the rest of the season through illness. But Fergie insisted: “We’ve got Anderson, Ryan Giggs, Michael Carrick – who has been fantastic – plus Scholes and Cleverley.

“That group should cope with anything that happens in the run-in.”

Fergie, meanwhile, is baffled at some of the transfer business that has been done in this window.

He said: “Some of it has been silly. I’ve been thinking, ‘Who the hell is he?’

“They are trying to pull rabbits out of a hat. I’ve never heard of some of them. Perhaps they know more than me!

“They might have unearthed a diamond. And there will be late deals on Tuesday when desperation sets in.”

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/232634/Paul-Scholes-and-Tom-Cleverley-fire-Manchester-United-manager-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-up-for-tit/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Keno 92 wrote: »
    That is the largest picture ever produced on the internet. I think you used all of Boards allocated bandwidth with that.

Didn't realise how big it was till I posted. Changed it now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

More chance this is their 'Dutch expert'!

2824165-stoned-man.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement