Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jaysus, wouldn't he just blend in perfectly with the squad then? Straight off the plane - onto the stretcher - transported to Carrignton - then admit him straight onto the sick ward to join the rest of the lads.

Classic!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

_58167225_cleverleygetty.jpg

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson expects Tom Cleverley, Ashley Young and Anderson to return to training over the next few weeks.

Young, 26, and Anderson, 23, will join up with the first-team squad this week as they recover from knee injuries.

Cleverley, who has been since October with an ankle problem, is a fortnight behind in his rehabilitation.

Ferguson is excited by Cleverley's return, saying: "It'll be great to get the boy back as I think he's special."

The 22-year-old midfielder impressed in seven appearances early this season, prompting a call-up to the England squad, before he was struck down by injury in October's win at Everton.

"He's nowhere near the first team at the moment but he's doing a lot of running," said Ferguson. "He'll be a terrific boost."

Young injured his knee over the Christmas period, while Anderson has been sidelined since the end of November.

Ferguson, who brought Paul Scholes out of retirement to add to his midfield options, feels United will be in a strong position when Cleverley, Young and Anderson are fit.

He said: "Michael Carrick's form has been unbelievable - he's been playing fantastic - and we'll also have Giggs, Scholes, Cleverley and Anderson, so that's a great group of midfield players that will definitely help us."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/16782570.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    Hope everyone can get back soon and stay fit for the rest of the season. We are gonna need a full squad firing on all cylinders for the run in

Not so sure about that - only 1 competition to play in after all. Normally you'd be in 3 at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Hazard: "I think I'm heading to England"

Highly-rated Lille winger Eden Hazard has revealed he wants to move to England this summer after denying reports of a possible transfer to Ligue 1 rivals Paris Saint-Germain.

Hazard, 21, has been linked to some of Europe's biggest clubs, including Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea and, though PSG have targeted him following their inability to sign either Carlos Tevez or Alexandre Pato, said he will stay with Lille until the summer when he hopes to join a Premier League side.

However, the player would not reveal his preferred destination.

"I have [played in] over 100 Ligue 1 matches, I'm young but I want to know anything else," he told Canal+. "Paris is tempting with the players there now but I prefer to go abroad.

"I think I'm heading to England, the style of play suits me there and I think it's in this league that I can learn as much," said the Belgium international, who was voted Ligue 1's best player last season. "We know the great English clubs. It will be a club where I'm sure to play with a play style that suits me."

Should any move to the Premier League become permanent, Hazard will join young compatriots Romelu Lukaku and Thibault Courtois, who joined Chelsea last summer, in doing so, though Courtois has spent the season on loan at Atletico Madrid.

greendom wrote: »
    Not so sure about that - only 1 competition to play in after all. Normally you'd be in 3 at this stage

Ajax . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ajax . . .

Ahh the Europa league, that's more a distraction than anything else though, isn't it ?

And Ajax are hardly setting the World alight this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

themichaelowen michael owen

@lukecahill92 Lovely. Pity our country is full of scum like you. Let's compare Mothers. Mine produced me, yours produced you. Enough said.

Brilliant! :D

Ahh the Europa league, that's more a distraction than anything else though, isn't it ?

Neither are Blackburn, Basle or . . . Liverpool! :D

They still have to play Ajax twice, losing is not good for morale, winning means more games, possibly adding even two more games against City to the schedule.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

True, but am I right in saying it's the only trophy he hasn't won?
    He might secretly want to correct that blemish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

football s*cks. just back from the trip over, controlled the game, we were the better team yet lost the game.

sickened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Just a word on Smithy, always liked the guy, always will wish him well, he is a Leeds fan and he gave his all while wearing the Manchester jersey, such a shame he got that injury when he did. He was never going to be a superstar but he always gave 100% and was a very good player.

He played some important games for the club and scored some nice goals, if this loan move helps get his career back on track its all for the better.

There was a focus on him a few weeks back with interviews with himself, Pardew and the Newcastle squad talking about his character and how great he is to have around, how he is a leader in the dressing room even though he is never even in the match day squad basically!

Good luck to him, I really hope he gets back to form and gets one last hurrah in his career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Doesn't matter how many competitions we are in. Having a full fit squad to select from every week will help. Don't forget the only 2 teams with a realistic chance of winning the league are only left in 2 competitions. (I know spurs still have an outside chance but cant see them doing it)

kryogen wrote: »
    Just a word on Smithy, always liked the guy, always will wish him well, he is a Leeds fan and he gave his all while wearing the Manchester jersey, such a shame he got that injury when he did. He was never going to be a superstar but he always gave 100% and was a very good player.

He played some important games for the club and scored some nice goals, if this loan move helps get his career back on track its all for the better.

There was a focus on him a few weeks back with interviews with himself, Pardew and the Newcastle squad talking about his character and how great he is to have around, how he is a leader in the dressing room even though he is never even in the match day squad basically!

Good luck to him, I really hope he gets back to form and gets one last hurrah in his career

Deserves great praise also for how well he did when was moved to midfield.

I was never Alan Smith's biggest fan, but I remember the cup semi final against Watford in 2007 and United fans started chanting his name and he turned around and gave a thumbs up, from there he became a legend, over something so simple (and little petty):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Alan Smith was one of my favourite players when I was small, when he was playing for Leeds! Was over the moon altogether when I heard he signed for United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I liked Alan Smith coz I thought he was good looking!

Mars Bar wrote: »

Same.

Diego Forlan must been up there for ya too? Sure he even played with no shirt on he was so cool:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Treating men as mere objects I see.................................disgusting.

Diego Forlan must been up there for ya too? Sure he even played with no shirt on he was so cool:pac:

Haha, god no!
    Treating men as mere objects I see.................................disgusting.

I wish Sky Sports had sexy presenters so that I could have a thread about them. :(

• Advertisement

Haha, god no!

I wish Sky Sports had sexy presenters so that I could have a thread about them. :(

You have Ian Dowie, Paul Merson, Matt Le Tissier and Phil Thompson to look at what more could you ask for!!!;)

I'm not gonna lie, Jim White makes me go a little week at the knees.

You have Ian Dowie, Paul Merson, Matt Le Tissier and Phil Thompson to look at what more could you ask for!!!;)

I think I just puked a little...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Keno 92 wrote: »
    I'm not gonna lie, Jim White makes me go a little week at the knees.

I'm more of a Stelling man

I forgot Chris Kamara, how could I forget that beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRElVuYChI84SnpRMPyxyc_oe6DUjVkTq9EGuaAyjt-Gxe4e0Uq

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

They Do :D

http://www.averagejoesblog.com/hot-skysports-news-girls/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I wonder how hard he is working on learning the language, which I think is important too.

If Ferguson keeps the faith with him through the summer I'd expect that the S&C coaches should be looking to put at least two stone of muscle on him. He is 6,4 and only 12 stone. That is very, very skinny.

Peter Schmeichel was 16 stone and same height.

That will take time though, and while he is in the process of doing it he may experience some adverse affects on his agility and sharpness.

Personally, I think the right thing for Utd right now would be to go with Lindegaard and get De Gea focussing on his physical development and learning of the language through the end of the season. He could be a new man come August and next season...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That will take time though, and while he is in the process of doing it he may experience some adverse affects on his agility and sharpness.

Personally, I think the right thing for Utd right now would be to go with Lindegaard and get De Gea focussing on his physical development and learning of the language through the end of the season. He could be a new man come August and next season...

I would be inclined to agree. The process of putting on muscle can slow the reflexes down, but I don't think DeGea's reflexes are all that hot! Maybe it'a the eyesight thing but I think he gets beaten far too often with shots close to his body.

MALE presenters!

how could you leave out Jim?

Jim-WhiteSSN-IPad-app-26915_2679777.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

any predictions for the team for tomorrow night?

ill get to see united play stoke for the second time in 4 days ;) Anders will surely start in goal, considering it will be another aerial bombardment like saturday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I reckon even if Rooney is fit he'll be kept for the Chelsea game.

It'll be tough to predict the midfield considering Scholes & Giggs started on Sat, will Anderson, Jones & Nani be back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

United's injury list & expected return dates.
    W Rooney Ankle/Foot Injury 5th Feb 12
    Nani Ankle/Foot Injury 5th Feb 12
    P Jones Ankle/Foot Injury 11th Feb 12 slight doubt
    R De Laet Calf/Shin Injury no return date
    Anderson Knock 31st Jan 12 doubtful
    A Young Ankle/Foot Injury 5th Feb 12 slight doubt
    D Fletcher Bowel Condition no return date
    N Vidic ACL Knee Injury Jun 12
    M Owen Thigh Muscle Strain 11th Feb 12
    T Cleverley Ankle/Foot Injury 11th Feb 12
    T Bebe ACL Knee Injury 5th Feb 12

In that case...
    Rafael Smalling Evans Evra
    Valencia Carrick Anderson Park
    Berbatov Hernandez

Actually wouldn't mind seeing Fabio on the left wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Happy 31st birthday to the coolest man in football

berbatov_2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Unbelievable swag.

Happy Birthday Berbatov.

In that case...
    Rafael Smalling Evans Evra
    Valencia Carrick Anderson Park
    Berbatov Hernandez

That be about right, only one that may start is Welbeck ahead of one up front imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That be about right, only one that may start is Welbeck ahead of one up front imo.

If Ferdinand is fit he might start, with Smalling moving to right back - to give us more aerial presence.

If Ferdinand is fit he might start, with Smalling moving to right back - to give us more aerial presence.

Forgot about Rio.

With the aerial threat I think it's nailed on that Lindegaard will start

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Forgot about Rio.

With the aerial threat I think it's nailed on that Lindegaard will start

De Gea started against Stoke at Britannia and had very good game. So I wont say Lindegaard is nailed on to start as when tested he made few mistakes too.

We have played 22 different combinations of defenders in 34 games, at least we should give GK run of games to find some consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

I really think a lot is being read into by Anders getting the run of games over Christmas. SAF had said DeGea would get a break as that is what he is used to. I will be hoping the lad is reinstated as no.1 now.

And for those calling for more height and Smalling at RB, did Rafael not show at Liverpool why, when fit, he is one of the best RBs in the country. For those of you who will throw the Stoke long ball club etc in reply, they have cut a lot of this out and have been playing a lot more football this season.

Jones and Smalling fill in great at RB but they do just that, fill in. Let out right back play at right back when he is available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

VW 1 wrote: »
    I really think a lot is being read into by Anders getting the run of games over Christmas. SAF had said DeGea would get a break as that is what he is used to. I will be hoping the lad is reinstated as no.1 now.

And for those calling for more height and Smalling at RB, did Rafael not show at Liverpool why, when fit, he is one of the best RBs in the country. For those of you who will throw the Stoke long ball club etc in reply, they have cut a lot of this out and have been playing a lot more football this season.

Jones and Smalling fill in great at RB but they do just that, fill in. Let out right back play at right back when he is available.

Couldn't agree more. Rafael is a natural RB and his overlapping runs are natural to him which even helps Valencia. Defensively he was very good against Liverpool and few headers he won (which had he missed would have put us in lot of trouble) were damn good. He has improved a lot defensively and obvious first choice RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Just looking at the goal again which some slatted De Gea for, on timesoccer.com. Even before the corner kick is taken the commentator says "De Gea, he's going to struggle to get through that lot." The defenders positioning was dire, which allowed a knot of bodies to block De Gea. Short of giving away a penalty, I don't think even Kane (WWE) would have got to that ball. Hadn't really analysed it properly until now, storm in a tea cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Cant understand anyone wanting Da Gea reinstated to the number 1. He is a liability. Simple as.

Cant understand anyone wanting Da Gea reinstated to the number 1. He is a liability. Simple as.
    Dv5e5.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Just looking at the goal again which some slatted De Gea for, on timesoccer.com. Even before the corner kick is taken the commentator says "De Gea, he's going to struggle to get through that lot." The defenders positioning was dire, which allowed a knot of bodies to block De Gea. Short of giving away a penalty, I don't think even Kane (WWE) would have got to that ball. Hadn't really analysed it properly until now, storm in a tea cup.

I'd agree with you, but I think he made a mistake in coming for a ball that already had ~6 players under it. Not saying he would have saved it if he stayed on the line, but that would have been the better decision IMO. Although, it's very easy to say that in hindsight, not so easy when you've a split second to make that decision in a cup match against liverpool :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement