Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Match is now on Football first! SS2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

10 years since we beat Chelsea at Stamford bridge in league, so we are due a win there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Match is now on Football first! SS2

Motd just about to start on BBC1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

fredericveseli frederic veseli
    I'd like to great every single #MUFC. Fan all over the world! You have my word that I'll give my very best for you!! #retweet!!

Its official its done! Direction: Manchester United! Let's work hard! Its a HONOUR ! #MUFC yfrog.com/oc1bpjkj

I. Love. Him.

baz2009 wrote: »
    Epic man love for Pogba.
    I'd like to great every single #MUFC. Fan all over the world! You have my word that I'll give my very best for you!! #retweet!!

Its official its done! Direction: Manchester United! Let's work hard! Its a HONOUR ! #MUFC yfrog.com/oc1bpjkj

I. Love. Him.

Not sure if you will be able to share Baz;):pac:

I. Love. Him.

Going straight on to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Lads how did we manage to get Veseli from City and has anyone ever seen him play ?

Never even heard of him before today. Here's a clip of his performances for Swiss U-17 World Cup (I think). As with all such clips, can't gauge much from it, except maybe his style.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbeb12_veseli_sport

Ashley Cole sent off tonight so he'll miss Sunday. Any info on Terry's injury, is he likely to be out too? Hopefully we've a few players back anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Delighted with tonight's results and very happy with Pogba's appearance. Aside from generally playing well, he properly impressed me on about five occasions in his 20 minute spell. Very fluid movement, imposing figure and great positional sense. If he's given a chance he could develop into a special player.

Here's hoping he is not injury prone.

Not sure if you will be able to share Baz;):pac:

There's enough to go around.:pac:

• Advertisement

Veseli is flat out trolling the City fans.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Veseli is flat out trolling the City fans.:D

Fergie with a master stoke PR stunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Got out of work at 10pm...

Checked Livescore.com on my phone...

2vA1a.png?1313349760

Oliver Norwood has signed for Coventry on loan till end of season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Things become a little clearer...

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/Jan/manchester-united-sign-frederic-veseli-from-manchester-city.aspx
    Reds swoop for Veseli

Manchester United have completed the deadline-day signing of defensive prospect Frederic Veseli from neighbours Manchester City.

The 19-year-old centre-back, who plays for Switzerland Under 20s, will link up with Warren Joyce's Reserves after making his name in City's Academy side.

A versatile, cultured defender who is comfortable on the ball, Veseli arrived at Eastlands in 2008 from Lausanne Sport in his homeland, and has been tipped to eventually develop into a central midfielder.

"I am very happy and it is an honour to sign for Manchester United," the Swiss starlet said. "I can’t wait to get started, to work hard and do everything I can to help the team. I am looking forward to showing everybody what I can do on the pitch."

Veseli captained his country to victory in the Under 17s World Cup in 2009 and got his first taste of senior football during City's pre-season tour of North America last summer.

He'll now be looking to settle quickly at Old Trafford and impress for the Reds' second string in a bid to earn a first-team chance.

"I am very thankful to Sir Alex Ferguson for bringing me to such a great club," he added. "Manchester United has a long history of younger players coming through and hopefully I can follow and do the same."

Veseli>>>>>>>>>>Sneijder

• Advertisement

Well at least we've signed someone who might be a midfielder!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Great results tonight.

Pogba did well tonight when he came on but that's how a kid should be introduced into the first team - people should really pipe down when calling for him to start or to play more, SAF is the expert in bringing kids through.

Scholesy was brilliant tonight. Where are all those saying it was embarrassing to bring him out of retirement now? Evans and Valencia were also very good. The rest of the team played alright, except Smalling who I thought was very sloppy tonight for some reason.

The Everton win over City takes the pressure off going to Stamford Bridge now. It's still a great opportunity to beat Chelsea though, they are really struggling at the minute. Hopefully we'll have Rooney and one or two others back for it.

Scholes is different gravy.

Just seen this on twitter..
    Between them, Carrick and Scholes completed 50 more passes (242) than the whole of the Stoke team (192). Stats from @StatsZone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

May as well stick my view on Ravel in.

good luck to the lad. 18 years old and he has had an awful lot of **** wrote about him. West Ham are a good club, its a brave and bold desision to decide he wants first team football now rather than stay at Old Trafford.

Playing at West Ham will take some media pressure off him and possibly give him a better chance of making it.

I hope he can put off field problems behind him and have a good career and more important a happy safe, productive life.

• Advertisement

Jaysis Mancini looks like his dad just died in that post match interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Difference between a committed United kid and Morrison:

"Ryan Tunnicliffe: I won't be going anywhere. As long as united offer me contracts. I will always be signing them. #mufc"

Jaysis Mancini looks like his dad just died in that post match interview.

Lets hope for few more before end of season.

Pulis complaint about the peno awards. "they always get them here." They were nailed on penos an we should have had a third.

Don't know if it's been already mentioned but Ashley Cole will miss the game against us at the weekend after being sent off tonight for two bookable offenses.

They don't have great options at left back, and Valencia is in fine form. Could get a lot of joy down that side.

West Ham are gonna be on Sky Sports 2 on Saturday morning against Millwall, doubtful enough but I hope Morrison gets some bit of a game.

Scholes awesomeness probably deserves its own Forum to be fair.

give him six months off next season too.

Delighted he is playing so well as I had a slight worry he could look off the pace. I feel daft for ever thinking it.

Damn MOTD not showing all of Pogba's sexyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Damn MOTD not showing all of Pogba's sexyness.

How did he play when he came on? MOTD just showed him crossing the ball at the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Piss off Pulis and cry into your sweaty cap. We could have had four penalties tonight.

• Advertisement

How did he play when he came on? MOTD just showed him crossing the ball at the end

He was absolutely fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Very well, few very nice touches, and some quality balls into the box!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Best game in the first team by a mile for him, very impressive.

Valencia is in some unreal form at the moment. Love watching him play when he is like this. Hard to believe he had such a terrible injury last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

He was comfortable, he made some nice short passes, some good runs, he over hit one cross and could have done better with a lay off coming in from the right hand side of the box. It was a decent debut in a match that was already wrapped up. Nothing more.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Valencia is some unreal form at the moment. Love watching him play when he is like this. Hard to believe he had such a terrible injury last season.

He was absolutely pathetic at the start of the season, because of injury, fatigue, lack of confidence - whatever.

Benfica at home was the first game where he started to show a slight bit of form and he has been going on an upward curve ever since. He's now probably in the best form of his United career and has been our best player over the last 6 weeks imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Blatter wrote: »
    He was absolutely pathetic at the start of the season, because of injury, fatigue, lack of confidence - whatever.

Benfica at home was the first game where he started to show a slight bit of form and he has been going on an upward curve ever since. He's now probably in the best form of his United career and has been our best player over the last 6 weeks imo.

He was awful in the European Cup final. I thought he carried that form through with him. The last eight or so games he's been brilliant. I think when he plays well, Wayne Rooney plays very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Scholesy was brilliant tonight. Where are all those saying it was embarrassing to bring him out of retirement now?

Hi. I am one of them.

Tonights result is an irrelevance with regards to Scholes. Forget even that Stoke were abject, the fact is that games against Stoke were never the problem we needed to solve, it was the games against the Cities, Liverpools and Barca's/Madrids.

More than that though, I remember Scholes a few seasons ago absolutely dominating against Newcastle in the league. He sat in midfield and destroyed them that night, super stuff. However not five games later Scholes decline had become very obvious, he was not up to speed any more and he found himself out of the team.
    As great as Scholes was tonight Stoke were every bit as bad as Newcastle were that night a few years back, and I still think Scholes will struggle against a lot of teams.

The man is a genius, but his return is an indictment of United's problems in midfield. Tonights result changes that not one jot.

He was awful in the European Cup final. I thought he carried that form through with him. The last eight or so games he's been brilliant. I think when he plays well, Wayne Rooney plays very well.

Yeah, he seemed to freeze in the cup final. Don't know why, he doesn't seem like a guy that would let pressure get to him.

You're right about him and Rooney playing well together, they have a great understanding. I'd love to know how many time he assisted Rooney in the games they've played together, must be fairly high.

The one thing that I do notice though when he is playing well, that it seems to affect Nani's form. The same happened last season.

Nani does prefer to be out on the right, but I think when Valencia plays Nani sees a lot less of the ball. There's a nice balance when Valencia and Park play on the same team. It'll be interesting to see how Young and Valencia play together.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

We played well tonight but without Rooney and Nani we fail to create many clear cut chances, hoping they are back for Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Yeah, he seemed to freeze in the cup final. Don't know why, he doesn't seem like a guy that would let pressure get to him.

You're right about him and Rooney playing well together, they have a great understanding. I'd love to know how many time he assisted Rooney in the games they've played together, must be fairly high.

The one thing that I do notice though when he is playing well, that it seems to affect Nani's form. The same happened last season.

Nani does prefer to be out on the right, but I think when Valencia plays Nani sees a lot less of the ball. There's a nice balance when Valencia and Park play on the same team. It'll be interesting to see how Young and Valencia play together.

With all fit, United have great variety on the flanks. It must be very hard for teams to set up against them. Marking Nani is a totally different set of tasks from marking Valencia. Again Park and Young are unlike the other two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

The City game cost me a 5 bet accum tonight but it feels like I won the lotto!

Great time for Gibson to pop up and do us a favour :) as Fergie said, all in the plan!

Happy with the performance tonight, of course we lacked cutting edge, but we are with a pair of strikers who are lacking in game time and without our most creative player in Nani so it was to be expected really.

Delighted the Pog got on and played well, looked comfortable in the first team which is encouraging, shows he is being developed correctly imo and it is a positive sign regarding his contract situation too.

Bring on Chelsea

Hi. I am one of them.

Tonights result is an irrelevance with regards to Scholes. Forget even that Stoke were abject, the fact is that games against Stoke were never the problem we needed to solve, it was the games against the Cities, Liverpools and Barca's/Madrids.

More than that though, I remember Scholes a few seasons ago absolutely dominating against Newcastle in the league. He sat in midfield and destroyed them that night, super stuff. However not five games later Scholes decline had become very obvious, he was not up to speed any more and he found himself out of the team.
    As great as Scholes was tonight Stoke were every bit as bad as Newcastle were that night a few years back, and I still think Scholes will struggle against a lot of teams.

The man is a genius, but his return is an indictment of United's problems in midfield. Tonights result changes that not one jot.

It's a number thing. I never said that Scholes even comes close to solving our midfield problems.

We were light on number in midfield with various injuries and the loss of Fletcher. If we didn't bring Scholes back, we would have played Giggs tonight and he then wouldn't have been fresh for the Chelsea game or could have picked up an injury.

I'm well aware of Scholes' limitations. I don't see him starting in any big games unless he's part of a three man midfield but he is still a brilliant option to have when playing the smaller teams as seen tonight.

Is it embarrassing for Man City that they signed David Pizarro on loan tonight, who has only started 5 games for Roma this season? Of course not, he is a cheap, low risk option that gives them more numbers in the middle of the park.

Scholes wasn't signed to be the answer to our real midfield problems, he was brought back to give us numbers in there. No PL club in their right mind would turn down the offer to bring Scholes back when he's still capable of performances like he produced tonight and at Anfield, so sorry if I refuse to accept that bringing him back was 'embarrassing' or 'desperate'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Hopefully he gets some game time down there and then in 3/4 years when he's world class he comes back to United a totally changed man :P.
    @RavelMorrison49
    Ravel Ryan Morrison
    thanks for everyone who's supported me threw the years while I have been @ manchester united I have a great time I just needed to play

I don't like that 'I just needed to play' bit!

No, what you needed to do was cop the fcuk on and stop getting involved in with trouble! Get yourself away from those 'friends' and you would more than likely still have a future at United!!

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    I don't like that 'I just needed to play' bit!

No, what you needed to do was cop the fcuk on and stop getting involved in with trouble! Get yourself away from those 'friends' and you would more than likely still have a future at United!!

This.

I don't think the kid realised where he was or who he was playing for.

It's a pure waste of talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭master-t

Disappointed wih the Ravel ending as a whole. Such an immense talent, but clearly his brains don't match. Best of luck to him, but name me 3 players who have better their careers after leaving Fergie.

HOWEVER, abso delighted with Pogba!! Contract starting to sound better and delighted he got on tonight. I think it was Fergie making a statement tonight actually. The day Ravel leaves, Pogba gets minutes. Clearly the lad has his head screwed on and gets rewarded for it. Pogba can be huge for us!! Next season i'd love to see him and Cleverly running the middle of the park - still holding out for a creative midfielder though :D

Gibson doing us a great favour. Fair play, great result for us and Everton in fairness. Delighted to see Mancini's face at the end. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

master-t wrote: »
    Disappointed wih the Ravel ending as a whole. Such an immense talent, but clearly his brains don't match. Best of luck to him, but name me 3 players who have better their careers after leaving Fergie.

HOWEVER, abso delighted with Pogba!! Contract starting to sound better and delighted he got on tonight. I think it was Fergie making a statement tonight actually. The day Ravel leaves, Pogba gets minutes. Clearly the lad has his head screwed on and gets rewarded for it. Pogba can be huge for us!! Next season i'd love to see him and Cleverly running the middle of the park - still holding out for a creative midfielder though :D

Gibson doing us a great favour. Fair play, great result for us and Everton in fairness. Delighted to see Mancini's face at the end. :D

Just to point out

Gerrard Pique
    Guissepe Rossi
    Diego Forlan
    Jaap Stam certainly didnt suffer as a result of leaving
    Cristiano Ronaldo, better player now

There are others, and a few who would fall into the debateable catagory, the likes of RVN and such, it can happen that a player leaves united and goes on to be successful!

For some reason I dont see it with Morrison, has huge potential but doesnt have the mental attributes to back it up.

He mat of course turn it around, and good luck to him if he does, might earn himself a transfer to a big club again and actually realise what he has next time around!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

This.

It'll only be wasted talent if he replicates his behaviour down in London and doesn't make a proper go of it at West Ham.

Although it's a shame he couldn't knuckle down and forge a career for us, I have no ill will towards him and I hope he does well for himself and fulfills at least some of his immense potential. Perhaps he'll realise the error of his ways in a couple of years and come back to United (the Mail are reporting that we have first refusal on him).

From what I've read, he comes across as a difficult, immature kid who had ideas above his station (like many people his age). The club had obviously had enough and were willing to let him go without too much fuss. I can't really blame them.

This.

He'll fcuking realise soon if they keep up nights of losing 5-1 away to Ipswich!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement