Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

NotorietyH wrote: »
    I had glandular fever around this time of the year a few years back and was wiped out for the best part of two months, and it was another couple of months before I completely recovered. I don't think you can have just a hint of glandular fever, could be wrong though. It literally saps every ounce of energy you have for months and you have to take it very easy coming back from it. I still get very run down on occasion, whether it's related or not, I'm not sure, but glandular fever is no joke. I can't see him being back before April if he does have it.

I went to my doctor before with a soar throat and was told I had 'a hint of glandular fever'. I was grand within a week. A friend of mine had it before as well and it took him about 2 weeks to recover and he was back playing football and grand again straight away.

I know you can get bad cases of it too, lets hope Smalling doesn't have it too bad(if he has it at all).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Blatter wrote: »
    I went to my doctor before with a soar throat and was told I had 'a hint of glandular fever'. I was grand within a week. A friend of mine had it before as well and it took him about 2 weeks to recover and he was back playing football and grand again straight away.

I know you can get bad cases of it too, lets hope Smalling doesn't have it too bad(if he has it at all).

Can be a bit more optimistic so! Hopefully it is just a touch of it. Wasn't sure what way it works. I had a bad dose of it, ended up in hospital with it for a few days. I imagine he'd be a bit healthier and fitter than myself overall so hopefully his immune system is more robust!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

G.K. wrote: »
    Marquez, DeMerit and Nelson Rivas are the biggest names I see out there.
    Javi Martinez can play CB too;):p

I wonder what kind of standard those are, it would definitely be an idea anyway.
    G.K. wrote: »
    Marquez is the former Barca one and the others are established internationals - Rivas played 16 times for Inter.

Lets not go anywhere near Nelson Rivas. He is a disaster. There is a reason why Inter were desperate to offload him but there were no buyers.

If you can remember he played against us in Champions league in the first leg. If some people shiver watching Evans name on the team sheet then they will surely die seeing Rivas name on it.

To put it in simple terms, If I was the manager of the worst team in the league, I wouldn't have signed him. I would rather call De Laet back or play Fryers there.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Nelson Rivas - He played 16 times for Inter... Some of his performances will go down as the worse in Inter's history. I have a mate who is an Inter fanatic, we use Rivas as a joke in FIFA, as in "Oh the defender's done a Rivas". I would genuinely shoot myself in the face if he played for us... And we complain about Evans :eek:

We would be better off asking D-Bexx 23 to do a shift in CB.

I didn't see your post before replying about Rivas, looks like we posted almost same. :)

Couldn't agree more, Rivas is one of the worst defender ever to play for Inter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The only way your doctor could possibly know if you had Glandular fever is with a blood test.

He might have said that you had swollen glands, or the sympthoms looked like glandular fever, but unless he took blood that day, he didn't diagnose you with glandular fever.

NotorietyH is right, it's not joke and will leave grown men in bed able to do sweet feck all for weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

it would be a sad day for the club, if we had to resort to the likes of Bruce, keane and hughes.

they are not good enough, unless they make a huge improvement over the next few years.

Especially Keane imo, I suspect he'll never have the necessary man management skills required for the United job. Plus his recent bitching and sniping at SAF was just pathetic. For all his mouthing on though, he just never learned the golden rule at United - Keep it in the dressing room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Thanks for the sig Mikeyt086.

Seaneh wrote: »
    The only way your doctor could possibly know if you had Glandular fever is with a blood test.

He might have said that you had swollen glands, or the sympthoms looked like glandular fever, but unless he took blood that day, he didn't diagnose you with glandular fever.

NotorietyH is right, it's not joke and will leave grown men in bed able to do sweet feck all for weeks.

Well, he definitely said 'you have a hint of glandular fever' to me because I remember how surprised I was at the time. I couldn't tell you whether he was right or wrong but that's what he said.

I did a bit of research there and the consensus is that a blood test is usually done to confirm the diagnosis but they can usually tell from the symptoms alone.

http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/glandularfever.htm
    Your doctor will probably be able to diagnose glandular fever from your symptoms alone, however, a blood test will usually be carried out to confirm the diagnosis.
    Anyway, most people make a recovery from the illness itself after a couple of weeks and then it varies from person to person as to how long more it will then take to fully get over the effects of the fatigue that follows it. Hopefully it won't be thee months for Smalling if he does have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

I always taught Irwin could make great manager...

But he need go to club first.

Don't think he interested anyway.

too nice IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I watch MLS whenever I can, it is a very fun league. The standard of defending however is atrocious, just want to quash this now lol.

Marquez - Far past his best, and has shown himself to have a real attitude problem in the US, no way.

DeMeritt - In his 30's and was a Championship defender when at his best.

Nelson Rivas - He played 16 times for Inter... Some of his performances will go down as the worse in Inter's history. I have a mate who is an Inter fanatic, we use Rivas as a joke in FIFA, as in "Oh the defender's done a Rivas". I would genuinely shoot myself in the face if he played for us... And we complain about Evans :eek:

We would be better off asking D-Bexx 23 to do a shift in CB.

Thanks man, I just went through the teams and picked out the CB's I'd heard of.

As Blatter says, surely there are some decent CB's in the MLS?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Cian A wrote: »
    According to physioroom all 5 centre backs and fabio are out or doubtful.
    I'm not quite sure what that leaves:confused:

At worst something along the lines of
    Rafael-Carrick-Berbatov-Evra
    with Valencia and Fryers as cover, having Rio and Evans on board couldn't hurt:eek:. Any good centre backs in the reserves?

Thanks for the sig mikey! Brilliant:D

I dont know if that Berbatov in at CB is serious. I know a joke or two was made about it, but the man played there for about ten minutes against Leeds at the end of the game to allow one of the kids to get some gametime up front.

Fryers could play LB and Evra CB if it really came to it, not a chance would I want Berbatov to play anywhere behind the halfway line. A million other options in the squad that would be better at CB than the Berb.

I was just checking Berbatov stats, not too bad. He has scored 45 league goals in 79 starts. Thats a very good record tbh. He has scored few hattricks and went on barren spell often but still its a good record.

VW 1 wrote: »
    I dont know if that Berbatov in at CB is serious. I know a joke or two was made about it, but the man played there for about ten minutes against Leeds at the end of the game to allow one of the kids to get some gametime up front.

Fryers could play LB and Evra CB if it really came to it, not a chance would I want Berbatov to play anywhere behind the halfway line. A million other options in the squad that would be better at CB than the Berb.

I think he was just joking. Probably Jones will be back (Read somewhere that he was eager to play against Blackburn) and Rafael was on bench for 2 games. Rio was supposed to be back for this game, if he had any set backs then wouldn't mind Fryers as CB. He did well against Leeds.

I would go with

Rafael Jones Fryers Evra (Assuming Rio is out)

Anyways Blackburn do have their injury problems. They will be without 10 senior players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭adox

Let's not forget Fergie moved Evra to cb in the last match. Carrick and Evra could be a definite combo if we are stretched.

adox wrote: »
    Let's not forget Fergie moved Evra to cb in the last match. Carrick and Evra could be a definite combo if we are stretched.

I thought Fergie moved Evra to CB to give him a rest. LB had to bomb forward everytime we attack, so Fryers did that job whereas Evra got deserved rest at CB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Surely Rooney could play CB :p

Seriously though lets play 3 at the back with say Valencia and Giggs as wingers who track back. Rafael Evra either side of Jones or Carrick if Jones is not back

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I thought Fergie moved Evra to CB to give him a rest. LB had to bomb forward everytime we attack, so Fryers did that job whereas Evra got deserved rest at CB.

I don't think so. I don't think he wanted to put Fryers in the centre so opted to shift Evra in to the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

adox wrote: »
    I don't think so. I don't think he wanted to put Fryers in the centre so opted to shift Evra in to the centre.

Maybe I was just saying one more possibility.

Tbh I would be against Evra starting as CB. He provides width on our left side better than most of the LBs, he is a attacking threat and we need him as LB. Also he is not great defensively (Not that Fryers is) and IMO he is not strong aerially (For his size he is damn good, but to be CB he is not).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Being back William Prunier.

• Advertisement

Ferguson also revealed that he could have Rio Ferdinand and Phil Jones available for tomorrow's clash against Blackburn at Old Trafford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

SAF has said Smalling has tonsillitis and should be back for Newcastle game in January.

via Steve Bartram on Twitter

markc1184 wrote: »
    SAF has said Smalling has tonsillitis and should be back for Newcastle game in January.

via Steve Bartram on Twitter

Yeah they just showed his press conference on SSN. Great news about Smalling.

Now if only I didnt have to go to a ****ing wedding tomorrow and miss the Utd match........:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

"“@JournoRich: Good news also that Fergie confirmed United will take up the option of a new one-year contract for Dimitar Berbatov. #MUFC”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

3/3 Daily fails - Hernandez, Jones and now Smalling, can we just ban the posting of Daily mail links relating to player fitness? :D

Any word on Cleverly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I know Fryers has played in CB for the reserves but it's not his natural position. I'd rather have Evra in CB just because of his experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Being back William Prunier.

Laurent Blanc!

Fcuk it, recall De Laet.

Can anyone see him being sold/let go to Norwich at the end of the loan spell if they want to keep him?

Clearly never going to be United standard at his age and not having gotten a look in at the first team by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

id wrap all our defenders in cotton wool with city coming up. hopefully we will have them all back for that game anyway,so far the news from fergie seems to indicate that.

rafael jones rio evra is what i would hope for tomorrow.
    "“@JournoRich: Good news also that Fergie confirmed United will take up the option of a new one-year contract for Dimitar Berbatov. #MUFC”

Hopefully its not just to ensure we get a fee for him in the summer. inlikely, but possible, meaning he leaves on a free next summer. luckily for berba, he has knocked in 4 goals right around the time the decisions comes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Blackburn seem to be fecked as well on the injury front.
    Blackburn have been hit by an injury crisis which has ruled out 10 senior players from the match against United – though Martin Olsson is said to have an "outside chance" of recovering from a hamstring injury in time.

• Advertisement

VW 1 wrote: »
    Fcuk it, recall De Laet.

Can anyone see him being sold/let go to Norwich at the end of the loan spell if they want to keep him?

Clearly never going to be United standard at his age and not having gotten a look in at the first team by now.

how has he been doing?

i think he is injured at the moment.

how has he been doing?

i think he is injured at the moment.

Just back from a back injury he featured against spurs.

Not too sure how he is getting on tbh, he seems to be getting a few games anyway, at least he was until his injury. I remember him giving away a peno earlyish in the season but havent seen enough of Norwich to really comment one way or another tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

enviro wrote: »
    I think another thing that will ensure that Utd continue at the top is the revenue that comes in and the loyal fanbase, that will help secure lucrative commercial deals. Once the youth development policy and player develop strategy remains, things will work out ok for Utd. It is a proven roadmap to be fair.

And the Liverpool bootroom was not a "proven roadmap"? Liverpool had 2 decades of success and had several successful changes of manager. They then had Souness coming in after great success at Rangers. It all seemed like a sure thing. My point is that you cannot say everything will continue as it currently is at United. Lucrative commercial deals generally require success. If United were to stop being successful, those deals would shrink. Youth development works because the current manager is the greatest of all time and ensures it is utilised to the maximum benefit of the club. Changing the manager is a massive, massive change and you can't expect things to carry on as per usual.

What if a new manager comes in and is not successful and sacked. If the next guy is not successful will he be sacked? How long before the "bring back Sir Alex" chants start? What if Mourinho comes in and leaves soon afterwards (as he tends to do)? Often he doesn't leave a team in great condition, he deals in instant success and not the long term (a great one night stand, not the long term love of Ferguson :pac:)

Regarding other teams winning the league, you can't use current or past form to predict the future. You simply don't know what will happen. All I can say is that Chelsea have unlimited funds. That is a massive bonus and means they are unlikely to fade away. Arsenal have a huge stadium and fanbase, that means they are likely to stay a top team. Liverpool have a massive fan base and decent owners. They may eventually get a bigger stadium. Again they are unlikely to go away. Then throw in wildcard random teams to emerge (Spurs for example or some other eccentric billionaire buying a team).

The current set up is very, very different to when Liverpool faded away as the gap between the best teams and the rest is much greater than in the early 90s. You don't get teams having a one off push for the title any more as the gap is so massive. But it doesn't mean that United could not drop to say 4th on a regular basis (a bit like Liverpool in the past 20 years) with some other team like City as the regular champions (a bit like United in the last 20 years). If that happened, then things could dramatically change. People should think a bit more before throwing out lines like "it will never happen in 100 years".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Smalling having Glandular fever? It's amazing some of the shyte that's put out by some media sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Smalling having Glandular fever? It's amazing some of the shyte that's put out by some media sources.

I see the Daily Mail have edited their story,journalists love sensationalist stories even if it's mostly bs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Samba wrote: »
    3/3 Daily fails - Hernandez, Jones and now Smalling, can we just ban the posting of Daily mail links relating to player fitness? :D

Any word on Cleverly?

Daily Mail are reporting he has been killed by a roadside bomb in the Helmund Province of Afghanistan.

the injury crisis in 09/10 november to january was the worst in the history of the club.

how does this compare?

also, begs the question, is there something wrong with our medical set up at old trafford, that we can have this amount of injurys.

or maybe, more to the point, our fitness preperation and pre match work, is perhaps not what it should be.

almost half our squad out through injury is not normal, when our rivals have had no more than 2 out for alot of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Daily Mail are reporting he has been killed by a roadside bomb in the Helmund Province of Afghanistan.

Apparently Jones brought him back to life with his super powers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

th
    also, begs the question, is there something wrong with our medical set up at old trafford, that we can have this amount of injurys.

or maybe, more to the point, our fitness preperation and pre match work, is perhaps not what it should be.

almost half our squad out through injury is not normal, when our rivals have had no more than 2 out for alot of the season.

Phil Jones is lethal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Phil 'The Tank' Jones hit the IED.

The IED was killed instantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

the injury crisis in 09/10 november to january was the worst in the history of the club.

how does this compare?

That's a good point, I was wondering about that last night, especially the part I put in bold.

Trying to think of our injuries this season so far, they seem mostly unfortunate (this isn't a complete list, I'd say)...

Jones - elbow to the face
    Smalling - tonsilitis
    Ferdinand - recurrence of back / calf problems
    Vidic - landed awkwardly
    Da Silvas - they both seem to run out of steam and pick up an injury after 60 minutes of a match. More their fault than the medical staff.
    Cleverly - done by Davies on the pitch and I think his second injury was a recurrence of that, or another previous injury.
    Anderson - knee injury, not sure how it was sustained
    Darren Fletcher - illness
    Ashley Young - bad tackle / collision
    Hernandez - concussion at start of season, then injured himself at Villa.
    Michael Owen - Thigh injury ten minutes into a CL match

Of the above, Owen and Hernandez seem like the only possible injuries that may have been prevented by being more warmed-up. But Owen has a terrible injury record anyway, and Hernandez came back quick from his injury.

Hard to blame the medics when I look at that list - can it really all be bad luck?

And you're right, the one two years ago where we had Carrick and Fletcher in defence was worse still.

Anderson looking in good shape, for once:p

Ah7bhB6CQAI6F54.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I say the Daily Mail must have mistaken Anderson for Smalling cause he looks the one who looks like he got glandular fever from all the weight loss!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

SoulTrader wrote: »
    That's a good point, I was wondering about that last night, especially the part I put in bold.

Trying to think of our injuries this season so far, they seem mostly unfortunate (this isn't a complete list, I'd say)...

Jones - elbow to the face
    Smalling - tonsilitis
    Ferdinand - recurrence of back / calf problems
    Vidic - landed awkwardly
    Da Silvas - they both seem to run out of steam and pick up an injury after 60 minutes of a match. More their fault than the medical staff.
    Cleverly - done by Davies on the pitch and I think his second injury was a recurrence of that, or another previous injury.
    Anderson - knee injury, not sure how it was sustained
    Darren Fletcher - illness
    Ashley Young - bad tackle / collision
    Hernandez - concussion at start of season, then injured himself at Villa.
    Michael Owen - Thigh injury ten minutes into a CL match

Of the above, Owen and Hernandez seem like the only possible injuries that may have been prevented by being more warmed-up. But Owen has a terrible injury record anyway, and Hernandez came back quick from his injury.

Hard to blame the medics when I look at that list - can it really all be bad luck?

And you're right, the one two years ago where we had Carrick and Fletcher in defence was worse still.

I agree except for the last bit about Hernandez. No amount of warm up will prevent injury when you stand own your ankle.

He was just unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Ah7bhB6CQAI6F54.jpg

Its taken 4 & 1/2 years for Anderson to give in and get rid of the cornrows.

They've been holding him back me thinks! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Manchester United's next goal will be their 1500th goal in the Premier League. If Phil Jones gets it, this forum will go crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

TheTownie wrote: »
    I agree except for the last bit about Hernandez. No amount of warm up will prevent injury when you stand own your ankle.

He was just unlucky.

Oh yeah, couldn't remember what had happened when I wrote that. Thought he had just pulled up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

berba's contract has been extended by the year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ah7bhB6CQAI6F54.jpg

Holy ****, looks more like Nani, can't wait to see how much of a difference it makes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

From RedCafe,
    More unbelievable news from Anfield
    Raheem Sterling (17-years old) gets 2 girls pregnant in two weeks!!!!!

All Liverpool players will wear condoms in support of Raheem Sterling against Newcastle

It made me laugh anyway.

Jones & Rio training,some good news on the injury front.

136265898.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892155F29F61288AC1CA208238F59DDBFE98951D0F5FDEA9910D883933072EF259E0
    136265934.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892155F29F61288AC1CA7420C9395BADEC93951D0F5FDEA9910D842CEC3DB907F521

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement