Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/9084721/Sir-Alex-Ferguson-has-backed-Ryan-Giggs-to-become-Manchester-Uniteds-next-manager.html
    Sir Alex Ferguson has backed Ryan Giggs to become Manchester United's next manager

Sir Alex Ferguson has tipped Ryan Giggs to succeed him as manager of Manchester United when he finally decides to step down from a post he has occupied for more than 20 years.

Ferguson is understood to believe that despite his lack of experience Giggs has many of the qualities required to take on the most demanding club job in English football. He praised the former Welsh international’s attributes among fellow managers and at a recent private function attended by leading business figures.

Ferguson’s advocacy of his most loyal and long-standing player as his successor may come as a surprise given Giggs’s lack of experience and apparent commitment to continue playing.

Last week Giggs signed a one-year extension to his contract at Manchester United, which will see him playing until he is at least 39.
    There is also a huge field of experienced managers who would leap at the chance to succeed Ferguson when his reign finally comes to an end, with Jose Mourinho, Pep Guardiola, David Moyes and Martin O’Neill among those who would love be considered for the post.

Other former players, including Ole Gunnar Solskjaer who won the Norwegian league in his first year in charge of Molde last October, would also appear to be ahead of Giggs in most lists for the job.

With the Glazer family likely to have their pick of the leading coaches in the world to take on the daunting job of succeeding Ferguson, Giggs remains an outside candidate – the Betfair betting exchange makes him 80-1 for the job with 15 more experienced candidates ahead of him in the betting – but Ferguson’s support would weigh heavily in his favour.

Team-mate Paul Scholes also believes Giggs could take over from Ferguson. The midfielder told FourFourTwo magazine: “People have talked about Mourinho. It can change quickly ... it’s about who is successful at the time. Whether they are British or foreign, you just want the best man for the job. I could see Ryan Giggs becoming manager.”

Giggs is understood to be pursuing his coaching badges, and is said by Ferguson to have the temperament and personality to cope with management despite his diffident public persona. He also has as keen an appreciation as any current or former player of the legacy the next manager will inherit at Old Trafford, as well as the methods that have made Ferguson so successful.
    Ferguson’s support may give an indication of his thoughts on his retirement date. With Giggs committed to playing on for at least one more season it indicates that Ferguson will continue for at least one more year. Earlier this season he indicated he would do three more seasons, health allowing.
    This week Giggs says he remains committed to playing for United, and will notch up his 900th senior appearance for the club if he features in the Europa League tie against Ajax on Thursday night in Amsterdam.

He is open to the possibility of management however and was tipped to replace Gary Speed as manager of Wales. He told The Daily Telegraph this week that while the Wales job came to soon, he has considered management, which he believes is far harder than playing.

“Everyone who has played and managed would say that playing is much, much easier. Players come in to train at nine o’clock and they are at home by at half twelve. Managers spend their time worrying about the team, so it is a completely different job and situation,” he said. “Succeeding Gary [Speed] was never really an option for me though. I spoke to the gaffer and United were ready to offer me a new deal. I wanted to play on.”

Of retirement he said: “It is just a decision I will have to take my time with because I feel different after each game.”
    Giggs has won 12 Premier League titles, two European Cups, four League Cups and four FA Cups in his time at Old Trafford.

Cynics might argue that Ferguson’s support for Giggs indicates he intends to remain directly involved at United, and would prefer to see the club led by a familiar figure at the helm, rather than an established manager from outside the United environment who might be minded to break the link with the Ferguson era.

I wouldn't be totally against it tbh, but I would like him to manage our reserves for a season or two before hand. It would be ideal to have someone like Giggs to take the club on. As said in the article, Ferguson's method's must be ingrained into him at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Sir Alex Ferguson has backed Ryan Giggs to become Manchester United's next manager There are no actual quotes from Fergie but it's interesting enough all the same in a way.

I can see Giggs going into management but I highly, highly doubt he'll be the next manager of United. Maybe some years down the line.
    Ferguson is understood to believe that despite his lack of experience Giggs has many of the qualities required to take on the most demanding club job in English football. He praised the former Welsh international’s attributes among fellow managers and at a recent private function attended by leading business figures.

Ferguson’s advocacy of his most loyal and long-standing player as his successor may come as a surprise given Giggs’s lack of experience and apparent commitment to continue playing.

Last week Giggs signed a one-year extension to his contract at Manchester United, which will see him playing until he is at least 39.

There is also a huge field of experienced managers who would leap at the chance to succeed Ferguson when his reign finally comes to an end, with Jose Mourinho, Pep Guardiola, David Moyes and Martin O’Neill among those who would love be considered for the post.

Other former players, including Ole Gunnar Solskjaer who won the Norwegian league in his first year in charge of Molde last October, would also appear to be ahead of Giggs in most lists for the job.

With the Glazer family likely to have their pick of the leading coaches in the world to take on the daunting job of succeeding Ferguson, Giggs remains an outside candidate – the Betfair betting exchange makes him 80-1 for the job with 15 more experienced candidates ahead of him in the betting – but Ferguson’s support would weigh heavily in his favour.

Team-mate Paul Scholes also believes Giggs could take over from Ferguson. The midfielder told FourFourTwo magazine: “People have talked about Mourinho. It can change quickly ... it’s about who is successful at the time. Whether they are British or foreign, you just want the best man for the job. I could see Ryan Giggs becoming manager.”

Giggs is understood to be pursuing his coaching badges, and is said by Ferguson to have the temperament and personality to cope with management despite his diffident public persona. He also has as keen an appreciation as any current or former player of the legacy the next manager will inherit at Old Trafford, as well as the methods that have made Ferguson so successful.

Ferguson’s support may give an indication of his thoughts on his retirement date. With Giggs committed to playing on for at least one more season it indicates that Ferguson will continue for at least one more year. Earlier this season he indicated he would do three more seasons, health allowing.

This week Giggs says he remains committed to playing for United, and will notch up his 900th senior appearance for the club if he features in the Europa League tie against Ajax on Thursday night in Amsterdam.

He is open to the possibility of management however and was tipped to replace Gary Speed as manager of Wales. He told The Daily Telegraph this week that while the Wales job came to soon, he has considered management, which he believes is far harder than playing.

“Everyone who has played and managed would say that playing is much, much easier. Players come in to train at nine o’clock and they are at home by at half twelve. Managers spend their time worrying about the team, so it is a completely different job and situation,” he said.

“Succeeding Gary [Speed] was never really an option for me though. I spoke to the gaffer and United were ready to offer me a new deal. I wanted to play on.”

Of retirement he said: “It is just a decision I will have to take my time with because I feel different after each game.”

Giggs has won 12 Premier League titles, two European Cups, four League Cups and four FA Cups in his time at Old Trafford.

Cynics might argue that Ferguson’s support for Giggs indicates he intends to remain directly involved at United, and would prefer to see the club led by a familiar figure at the helm, rather than an established manager from outside the United environment who might be minded to break the link with the Ferguson era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

So how high was Blatter on your list Jimmy?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

kmart6 wrote: »
    So how high was Blatter on your list Jimmy?!

Number 9

I actually would have had it earlier than him only I spent precious time editing it. I think my post was a bit neater. The link looks very untidy in Blatter's if you ask me ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

2e222ebb-f1e0-4e6f-8cc8-3ab1360b74b4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

SAF should be calling down to the emirates today and making offers for RVP and others
    arsenal are the new spurs
    we can benefit from their decline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Anyone from here gone over for the game? two of my mates are going, kinda by chance, they had already booked the trip to Amsterdam a couple of months ago so just lucked out in getting the flights before the price went up :) got tickets handy enough too then, really jealous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Interesting to read SAF potential views on Giggs becoming a United Manager. Certainly makes sense from a Dynasty continuation point of view. No doubt Giggs has learned a lot from the master, in all his years spent with him. He has achieved everything in football and would naturally command respect from any player. Unlike Roy Keane, Giggs is also not a divisive figure and would probably be quiet subtle in comparison. So between himself and Solskjaer, we have two excellent management candidates for the future. Two lads that will always put United first and unlike many other potential candiddates, they won't turn United into an altar to their egos.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

kryogen wrote: »
    Jesus! Genuinely surprised Rooney is that far ahead :) I cant put that down to the 3 or 4 penalties so :D

Good indication of why they are the first choice strike partnership of course
    Trilla wrote: »
    http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/Feb/wayne-rooney-and-danny-welbeck-preview-europa-league.aspx

United's record in all competitions this season when Rooney and Welbeck have started together:

P W D L GF GA
    15 13 1 1 43 19

Rooney: 15 goals in 15 games
    Welbeck: 6 goals in 15 games

Berbatov 7 goals in 10 games, only four starts too afaik. Just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,336 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Fergie is also quoted as saying the United manager needs to be experienced, which would more than likely rule Solskjaer out at the moment and certainly rule out Giggs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Isn't it great to think that we've been talking about the 'next' United manager for years and years now, but we still have the best there'll ever be for another while at least.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Blatter wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/9084721/Sir-Alex-Ferguson-has-backed-Ryan-Giggs-to-become-Manchester-Uniteds-next-manager.html

I wouldn't be totally against it tbh, but I would like him to manage our reserves for a season or two before hand. It would be ideal to have someone like Giggs to take the club on. As said in the article, Ferguson's method's must be ingrained into him at this stage.

I would be absolutely against it. If Giggs had any designs on management he should have retired four years ago and started cutting his teeth in the job. Does he even coach in-house? Has he even his badges got? Has he made any attempt to prepare for the job at all? He is not Pep. United are not Barca. The set up is completely different. The youth in Barca are being educated by Barcelona if they were never to kick a ball they are receiving an education. They are more akin to Ajax in that regards. Pep was involved in this process; he was immersed in it. Aside from football the only thing I've seen Giggs immersed in was his brother's wife.

United if they do will rue they day they hired in house. It ruined Liverpool. It left anachronistic tired old ideas in place and once the personality behind it left the power vaccum left was too great to fill. Hell, it ruined United. for Ferguson read Busby, for Giggs read McGuinness.

The job will need a big personality that can bring the club out from Ferguson's shadow. Once he is gone, that is it, you need a new slate. A new chapter in history needs to be written. that personality must be an outsider who will create his own identity within the club and shape it in his image just as Ferguson did. United dodged a bullet with Erkisson in 2002 and the manager who follows Ferguson will be the most important appointment ever made in the history of the club.

The only ex-United player I'd even consider is Solskjaer and I'd like to see him in the hotseat of a Champions League club before United.

In the event of Solskjaer not being appointed I'd like Solskjaer be a number two to the new manager.

Berbatov 7 goals in 10 games, only four starts too afaik. Just saying.

Now if we counted his misses, he would of probably scored 37.:pac:

The next United manager will have to have experience, its a huge job, its not one for someone to cut their managerial teeth on, its not one to be taken after a job or two of mid level or lower teams.

It will be important that the next manager has faced and come through a lot of tough situations in his managerial career so that he is ready for the challenge of being Manchester United manager, not to mention taking over from probably the greatest manager of all time.

It would more than likely crush a younger or inexperienced one. The job is massive, its not being arrogant to say it will be the biggest managerial appointment for the last couple of decades at least! The pressure will be unbelievable.

I can see a very experienced guy coming in to take the heat first and then a younger guy taking over after 3-4 years possibly after spending time as assistant, or better still, as a manager elsewhere.

Now if we counted his misses, he would of probably scored 37.:pac:

He is in fact the only striker in the league without a chance conversion rate of 100% I believe.

He is in fact the only striker in the league without a chance conversion rate of 100% I believe.

Without 100%? Meaning every other striker has a 100% chance-conversion rate? That doesn't seem right somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Without 100%? Meaning every other striker has a 100% chance-conversion rate? That doesn't seem right somehow.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTlQlghAsuFftLNy7Ub-2WKQnpgykjxIZniTT1e7H-nbCbwBAsI

Yours is broken.

sarcasm-detector-220x275.jpg

Nani and Welbeck turned up for the flight to Amsterdam without their passsports the dozy pricks! I wonder do United use the buddy system when travelling to ensure one of the group doesn't get lost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

well nani made it anyway,good to see tom there also,looking forward to this game it will be a good distraction from our battle for the league.

429873_10150571209497746_7724542745_9396217_1405369144_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That would be my concern with Giggs. I think when Busby went upstairs it was a disaster. I think you need one manager, and let him control things. If we want to give it to Giggs or any former player like Ole, I wouldn't be massively opposed. However, I think Mourinho is the logical choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Every second post (well maybe not every second one :)) now has an image or a gif as a reply! A picture does tell a thousand words it seems on here....

Internet-Troll.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Every second post (well maybe not every second one :)) now has an image or a gif as a reply! A picture does tell a thousand words it seems on here....

river-song-with-a-banana-meme-generator-quiet-you-dont-make-me-use-this-banana-d0e8ff.jpg

Internet-Troll.jpg

You know you love it.

As regards the Fergie-loves-Giggs article, I would very much take it with a bucket of salt. There is not a single quote from SAF in the entire thing. You can write literally anything that way. Observe:
    Sir Alex Ferguson has backed Ravel Morrison to become Manchester United's next manager

Sir Alex Ferguson has tipped Ravel Morrison to succeed him as manager of Manchester United when he finally decides to step down from a post he has occupied for more than 20 years.

Ferguson is understood to believe that despite his lack of experience Morrison has many of the qualities required to take on the most demanding club job in English football. He praised the former Manchester United youth player's attributes among fellow managers and at a recent private function attended by leading business figures.

Ferguson’s advocacy of his most troublesome recent departure as his successor may come as a surprise given Morrison’s lack of experience and apparent commitment to continue posting rubbish on twitter.

Last week Morrison signed a contract at West Ham United, which will see him playing until he is at least 22.

Morrison is understood to be pursuing his coaching badges, and is said by Ferguson to have the temperament and personality to cope with management despite his derisory public persona. He also has as keen an appreciation as any current or former player of the legacy the next manager will inherit at Old Trafford, as well as the methods that have made Ferguson so successful.

Cynics might argue that Ferguson’s support for Morrison indicates he intends to remain directly involved at United, and would prefer to see the club led by a laughable figure at the helm, rather than an established manager from outside the United environment who might be minded to break the link with the Ferguson era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

marios gotzes agent has confirmed that united (and other teams) are interested in signing him.

ive got to admit, i dont know alot about him.

• Advertisement

This..
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTlQlghAsuFftLNy7Ub-2WKQnpgykjxIZniTT1e7H-nbCbwBAsI

Yours is broken.

And this..
    sarcasm-detector-220x275.jpg

Left me feeling like...

innocent_ostrich_funny_picture_1.jpg

Even this guy was shocked....

funny_football_pictures_3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

he told wenger to go fook himself in jan
    that shows intelligence - btw his father is a famous professor who was most disillusioned by his sons choice to pursue a football career

good midfield player, solid
    attacking, but responsible re his duties (like all abiding germans)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Have a mate in Holland who is a big footie fan, so emailed him earlier to ask about Ajax.

He said they have been very poor this season plus they have a lot of injuries too. He also hates Ajax so will be cheering for Utd.:D

marios gotzes agent has confirmed that united (and other teams) are interested in signing him.

ive got to admit, i dont know alot about him.

I really really like Goetze, but find it hard to believe we are going to sign him, or in fact if he is what we need right now tbh.

Lovely little player though.

***Random Thought ALERT!**

I'd LOVE Ferguson to take Brendan Rogers on as a coach next season. Develop a new passing style of football to bring United's players to the next level. Imagine a United team that could retain possession for minutes and minutes on end during a move? I think Carrick, Cleverley, Jones, Smalling Evans (if he steps up to the Liverpool performance at a consistant basis), Rooney and Valencia would be immediate converts. Nani would have to curb a few instincts (not too many) and Welbeck would have to be a little bit more cautious (but still an amazing link player). Hernandez would need work on fitting in though he is a player that can operate starved of the ball if the team he plays for creates chances. Scholes obviously were he to stay on would be the PHD.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

***Random Thought ALERT!**

I'd LOVE Ferguson to take Brendan Rogers on as a coach next season. Develop a new passing style of football to bring United's players to the next level. Imagine a United team that could retain possession for minutes and minutes on end during a move? I think Carrick, Cleverley, Jones, Smalling Evans (if he steps up to the Liverpool performance at a consistant basis), Rooney and Valencia would be immediate converts. Nani would have to curb a few instincts (not too many) and Welbeck would have to be a little bit more cautious (but still an amazing link player). Hernandez would need work on fitting in though he is a player that can operate starved of the ball if the team he plays for creates chances. Scholes obviously were he to stay on would be the PHD.
    Is that you Sean?

Is that you Sean?

Who?

I really really like Goetze, but find it hard to believe we are going to sign him, or in fact if he is what we need right now tbh.

Lovely little player though.

Were he to sign would he be United's first German?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

There was Robert Ron Zieler but he was only a reserve player.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

No we signed Robert Zieler, played for reserves but not for first team.

He made his International debut this season.

The Gotze story is another case of an Agent trying to drum up interest and earn himself a nice transfer payday.

The agent claims he has had contact with Juventus and United, by claims he means let me pick two top teams and throw out this story to see if it attracts other clubs or lets us negotiate a better contract at our current club.

He also insists the player will not be sold for less than €40m.

Does Ron-Robert Zieler count? ;)

Yep, no Germans ever played for United Im pretty sure

Hold on, google search just to be sure.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Yep, no Germans...

Hang on, one just popped into my head, Zieler

Edit: so to confirm, no Germans in the first team :)

Giggsy11 wrote: »

He was on the bench for a league cup match!

He did make the bench once though ;)

• Advertisement

He was on the bench for a league cup match!

Did he play? I'm sure I read somewhere that he didn't even make a single first team appearance. :confused:

Did he play? I'm sure I read somewhere that he didn't even make a single first team appearance. :confused:

No he didnt play, he was just on the bench, that one and only time, was in the squad a load of times, but that was the only time he made the bench. Never started for the first team. Not a bad keeper actually, think he with Hannover now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

We did sign a German once, Robert Zieler, he was on the bench in a league cup match......

No he didnt play, he was just on the bench, that one and only time, was in the squad a load of times, but that was the only time he made the bench. Never started for the first team. Not a bad keeper actually, think he with Hannover now

Yeah not a bad keeper. Heard he did well this season and also played for German NT which is some achievement consdiering they have Neuer and Adler. (Neuer was rested though, but starting over experienced pros like Adler menas he is doing very well)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Is that you Sean?

Think he could be back though http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=528762

Just reached 50 posts. Won't be too long before he is back in here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Evans (if he steps up to the Liverpool performance at a consistant basis)

Just on this, I'm amazed how much praise Evans got for the Liverpool game in this thread. He did pass it well, but he totally fùcked up for the Suarez goal and that is far more important.

Evans was marking Suarez and Rio was marking Carroll. Evans went for the ball, missed his header and left Suarez free to capitalize on the confusion. It did bounce off Rio but that wasn't his fault, there was nothing he could do after Evans missed the header and left Suarez free. Evans needs to iron that shìt out of his game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

there are alot of very good and very similar young players around europe at the moment

Gotze
    Hazard
    Erikkson
    Gaiten

who is actually the best of the above lot, rumours on the net are suggesting we have a gentlemans agreement with benfica for Gaiten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

there are alot of very good and very similar young players around europe at the moment

Gotze
    Hazard
    Erikkson
    Gaiten

who is actually the best of the above lot, rumours on the net are suggesting we have a gentlemans agreement with benfica for Gaiten

i dont know much about gotze.
    hazard is grossly overrated imo, he is just another nasri, though i am open for correction on that and changing my mind.
    erikkson - i think out of the list, this lad is class and ive been keeping tabs on him for about a year now, i thought hed be on our list for summer 2011 but nothing happened.
    gaiten - not what we need and a bit light for us.

so really, only erikkson is the one player i think is suitbale for us, though gotze is not a player im familiar with.

Is the Utd v Ajax game live on TV3?

Would be great to get in from work just in time for kick off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

i dont know much about gotze.
    hazard is grossly overrated imo, he is just another nasri, though i am open for correction on that and changing my mind.
    erikkson - i think out of the list, this lad is class and ive been keeping tabs on him for about a year now, i thought hed be on our list for summer 2011 but nothing happened.
    gaiten - not what we need and a bit light for us.

so really, only erikkson is the one player i think is suitbale for us, though gotze is not a player im familiar with.

Ya agree on Eriksen. Himself and Javi Martinez would be the two on my wish list for next season. As it works out with our Europa fixtures we have a decent chance of seeing the two in action against us.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement