Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Can't believe the match is on at 6. I'm in work until 630! Although tomorrow is my last day so maybe I should just leave early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Is the Utd v Ajax game live on TV3?

Would be great to get in from work just in time for kick off.

Its on 3e & Setanta Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Is the Utd v Ajax game live on TV3?

Would be great to get in from work just in time for kick off.

Its on 3e and Channel 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

From what I've seen of Götze he would be a fantastic signing but I fear we would be priced out of it by a host of clubs.
    Looks like he will be something special and on everybody's shopping list.

Also German players seem to be harder to entice to the EPL even though they would probably be more suited to the style of play than elsewhere.

Erikkson would be more realistic IMO.
    Have not seen as much of him but he looks the part whenever I have seen him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

i dont know much about gotze.
    hazard is grossly overrated imo, he is just another nasri, though i am open for correction on that and changing my mind.
    erikkson - i think out of the list, this lad is class and ive been keeping tabs on him for about a year now, i thought hed be on our list for summer 2011 but nothing happened.
    gaiten - not what we need and a bit light for us.

so really, only erikkson is the one player i think is suitbale for us, though gotze is not a player im familiar with.

If Gaitán is light then wtf is Erikkson?

Also Gaitán doesn't belong in that list, he's not at the level of potential of any of those other guys.

Hazard is not overrated at all. He'll be a top player in the Silva mode. Just because the French league makes Joe Cole look good doesn't mean it should reflect badly on it's top stars. You only have to look at the likes of Cabaye to see that.

If you're looking at attacking midfielders/forwards look no further than the Bundesliga; Kagawa and Götze at Dortmund, Reus at Mönchengladbach and Schürrle at Leverkusen. I'd mention Kroos at Bayern but we're not going to attract any native Germans from Bayern any time soon.

You need to get yourself more familiar with the German sides. I reckon they're coming into a golden era ala Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

cambo2008 wrote: »
    From what I've seen of Götze he would be a fantastic signing but I fear we would be priced out of it by a host of clubs.
    Looks like he will be something special and on everybody's shopping list.

Also German players seem to be harder to entice to the EPL even though they would probably be more suited to the style of play than elsewhere.

Erikkson would be more realistic IMO.
    Have not seen as much of him but he looks the part whenever I have seen him.

I fail to see the logic in this...

Eriksen is just coveted if not more so than Götze. Both will command a hefty transfer fee, ~€40M.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

***Random Thought ALERT!**

I'd LOVE Ferguson to take Brendan Rogers on as a coach next season. Develop a new passing style of football to bring United's players to the next level. Imagine a United team that could retain possession for minutes and minutes on end during a move? I think Carrick, Cleverley, Jones, Smalling Evans (if he steps up to the Liverpool performance at a consistant basis), Rooney and Valencia would be immediate converts. Nani would have to curb a few instincts (not too many) and Welbeck would have to be a little bit more cautious (but still an amazing link player). Hernandez would need work on fitting in though he is a player that can operate starved of the ball if the team he plays for creates chances. Scholes obviously were he to stay on would be the PHD.

This is an interesting idea, and something that I would be in agreement with in theory. Its interesting that you mention Rodgers, and while I think he's done a fantastic job, a lot of what he's doing at Swansea is based on the foundations that Roberto Martinez laid there a few years back. If you remember back a couple of years, SAF tried to get Martinez as his assistant before Phelan was given the role.

Anyway, thats not the point I wanted to make, what I understand is that a lot of what you mention in your post is already actually being done at the club. Apparently, Rene Meulheusen (sp!) has a lot to do with the type of football all the kids in the academy are playing. Its a far more possession based game where the emphasis is on skill and technique. From what I've read, we are only seeing the start of it at present and the kids that come through over the next while will be far more technical and comfortable on the ball.

TheTownie wrote: »
    [I fail to see the logic in this...

Eriksen is just coveted if not more so than Götze. Both will command a hefty transfer fee, ~€40M.
    I see more of a chance of Erikkson simply because I think it's easier to attract a Scandinavian player to the EPL than a German.
    Of course it can be down to the individual but the EPL is held in a lot higher regard there IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

s.welstead wrote: »
    If Gaitán is light then wtf is Erikkson?

Also Gaitán doesn't belong in that list, he's not at the level of potential of any of those other guys.

of course gaitan belongs on that list, theres a huge link for him at the moment and talk of provisional deals agreed.

he is very very light IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Speaking of light, hows Tosic getting on?

• Advertisement

cambo2008 wrote: »
    I see more of a chance of Erikkson simply because I think it's easier to attract a Scandinavian player to the EPL than a German.
    Of course it can be down to the individual but the EPL is held in a lot higher regard there IMO.

Ah I see, I'm with ya now. Thats one factor alright.

Still think it would be a real coup to get him considering how highly regarded he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

SK1979 wrote: »
    This is an interesting idea, and something that I would be in agreement with in theory. Its interesting that you mention Rodgers, and while I think he's done a fantastic job, a lot of what he's doing at Swansea is based on the foundations that Roberto Martinez laid there a few years back. If you remember back a couple of years, SAF tried to get Martinez as his assistant before Phelan was given the role.

Anyway, thats not the point I wanted to make, what I understand is that a lot of what you mention in your post is already actually being done at the club. Apparently, Rene Meulheusen (sp!) has a lot to do with the type of football all the kids in the academy are playing. Its a far more possession based game where the emphasis is on skill and technique. From what I've read, we are only seeing the start of it at present and the kids that come through over the next while will be far more technical and comfortable on the ball.

I don't think Fergie will ever drop the wide counter attacking approach. Every new generation he has built the emphasis is always on doing damage from the wings. The only way we will see the possession game as the main characteristic of a Utd squad is under a new manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

How do you lads think we would have faired against milan last night

Honestly, I didn't think Milan were that great. Arsenal were just so poor that they looked it.

One thing they did very well was capitalize on mistakes and I think KPB and Ibrahimovic would probably be good for a goal between them against United.

It's hard to tell how difficult they would have been to break down because Arsenal were so disjointed going forward. Milan defended in numbers and got forward in numbers on the break, but judging by the couple of chances Arsenal did create I think they'd have been ripe for a couple of Valencia crosses or a bit of Giggs magic.

I reckon 1-2 to United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Trilla wrote: »
    Speaking of light, hows Tosic getting on?

Been doing very well for CSKA since he moved there by all accounts.

If Milan had actually played very well, they played ok I thought but were largely wasteful and in general just not that impressive, they could have beat Arsenal by a cricket score I think, Arsenal were that bad. You would have to think that Bolton probably would have done better v Milan last night.

TheTownie wrote: »
    Ah I see, I'm with ya now. Thats one factor alright.

Still think it would be a real coup to get him considering how highly regarded he is.
    I doubt we will get anywhere near either of then tbh.
    Considering the EPL coverage in Scandinavia it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Erikkson grew up watching and admiring United.
    Possibly could swing a move if he was weighing up his options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

of course gaitan belongs on that list, theres a huge link for him at the moment and talk of provisional deals agreed.

he is very very light IMO.

That was just paper talk. There was nothing substantial at all. Just rumours. If we sign Gaitán I'd be fuming. He's not any better than Nani/Young on the left and I don't he have the discipline to play centrally for us.

He is light yeah but seriously what does that matter? He's not going to get asked to play centre half and mark Demba Ba.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

on the basis of recent games i've seen him involved, kev prince boateng would be a good signing
    hes unpredictable, a modern day tony daley
    but he has power and big game experience also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

conno16 wrote: »
    on the basis of recent games i've seen him involved, kev prince boateng would be a good signing

I get this. This is humour. Jokes. AHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAHAHAHA!!

• Advertisement

I would like to take a bit of time to acknowledge those who are not feeding the pet today, he is trying to get people to interact with him and isnt having much success so far, imagine if this policy was adopted forum wide with certain posters, ah it would be heading back to the good old days maybe!

Edit: Damn I just saw that someone replied to it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

kryogen wrote: »
    I would like to take a bit of time to acknowledge those who are not feeding the pet today, he is trying to get people to interact with him and isnt having much success so far, imagine if this policy was adopted forum wide with certain posters, ah it would be heading back to the good old days maybe!

Edit: Damn I just saw that someone replied to it :(

Mea Culpa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

conno16 wrote: »
    on the basis of yesterdays match on the tele , kevin prince boateng would be a good signing

fyp

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

If the mods could just grow some balls and perma-ban them we wouldn't be having this problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

anyways..........

is there return dates for Anderson, Berba, Owen and Giggs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

26th for Ando.
    No date for Berba.
    Same with Giggs and Owen.

According to physioroom.com

Thought I read earlier this week that Ando could be out for the rest of the season, can't find that, probably was a dream or something.

Trilla wrote: »
    anyways..........

is there return dates for Anderson, Berba, Owen and Giggs?

Anderson - god only knows
    Berba - I didnt even know he was injured till last night
    Owen - Doesnt matter, he will just get injured putting his jersey on anyway
    Giggs - Id say he is just a precaution tbh

So, no I dont really have a clue sorry :D

26th for Ando.
    No date for Berba.
    Same with Giggs and Owen.

According to physioroom.com

Thought I read earlier this week that Ando could be out for the rest of the season, can't find that, probably was a dream or something.

Sly dig at Anderson? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Pro. F wrote: »
    If the mods could just grow some balls and perma-ban them we wouldn't be having this problem.

Exactly, he has proven on countless occasions that he is only here for one reason and has shown no signs of ever being capable of becoming a reasonable poster.

Enough is enough tbh, just get rid. For good this time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I was reading an old copy of Four Four Two last night. Anderson had a 96 percent completion rate with his passes during a very tough game. I forgot how well he started the season.

also re players in Germany and mentions of swansea, Gylfi Sigurdsson has looked very impressive since signing on loan. The German league must have some quality midfield players if he couldn't get game time over there after injury. He has a great goalscoring record from midfield and I can see why he always looks dangerous in attacking poistions and can pass very well too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

presumably we're still paying off the ando fee?

such a disappointment
    i rem seeing him in the early days having cesc and gerrard in his pocket
    now he'd struggle to contain andrews or that other guy that plays CM for ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Struggle to contain Andrews?! Heard it all now. Never had anyone on ignore, think i may finally start to take advantage of the service.

Struggle to contain Andrews?! Heard it all now. Never had anyone on ignore, think i may finally start to take advantage of the service.

Do, its a great feature, only problem is when someone quotes a numpty you have on the list :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

honestly, i thought he had been.

gone.

apologies all.

now, back on topic and stop posting off topic.

thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,775 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

WP Slick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Do, its a great feature, only problem is when someone quotes a numpty you have on the list :(

Great suggestion from that anonymous poster :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

SlickRic wrote: »

gone.

apologies all.

thanks.

flawless-victory.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

SlickRic wrote: »

gone.

apologies all.

thanks.

Yay! This was a pleasant surprise to find in the thread!

Yay! This was a pleasant surprise to find in the thread!

Doesnt actually say banned under his name though so I live in fear :)

Christ that ad is cringeworthy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Doesnt actually say banned under his name though so I live in fear :)

That only comes up for Permabanned (all forums).

oh and.

c'mon united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Christ that ad is cringeworthy!

it would only say that if banned from the site as a whole.

lordgoat wrote: »
    That only comes up for Permabanned (all forums).

oh and.

c'mon united.

Oh, ok then :)

Young wincast anyone? We should have plenty of the ball, he has a tendancy to shine then doesnt he

It's amazing how much more solid United are at the back with Fabio at LB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I WANT TO SEE POGBA!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If that represents the standard of the other teams in this competition there is absolutely no reason United should not win it.

If that represents the standard of the other teams in this competition there is absolutely no reason United should not win it.

Lokomotiv Moscow beat Bilbao 2-1 so potentially a dirty trip to Russia awaits..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

No, there are better teams.

Porto, ManCity, Athletic Bilbao, Valencia, Udinese, Atletico Madrid.

We are better than all the side (Maybe on par with City), but these sides are better than Ajax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Player rating results for the Liverpool game.

Name|Avrage Rating
    Rooney | 8.83
    Valencia | 8.25
    Welbeck | 7.92
    Scholes | 7.58
    Rafael | 7.42
    Evra | 7.42
    Ferdinand | 7.33
    Evans | 7.33
    De Gea | 7.08
    Carrick | 7.00
    Giggs | 6.50

Link to rate for the Ajax game is in my sig.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement