Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

I want him back :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Mars Bar wrote: »
    G.K. wrote: »
    That said that was brilliant music, hardly awful. :pac:

Agreed. Pleasant change from dance and trance ****e!
    Give me dance and trance anyday over that crap,that's up there with the worst songs my poor ears have ever been subjected to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Give me dance and trance anyday over that crap,that's up there with the worst songs my poor ears have ever been subjected to.

ohnoyoudidnt.jpg

Musicians meticulously perfecting their art > some guy handy with a computer.

An argument for another forum! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

kmart6 wrote: »
    I want him back :(

Little Nani there doing the singing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

from reading what neville says, it really read like the Assistant Manager is a lot more important to United than you would really like. Does the training, and has a LOT of input into team style. The semi's vs Barcelona in 08 for example, seems pretty much Carlos Q managing the side - set out the tactical plan and trained the players through it.

I know what you mean about Phelan, to me it seemed like a reward for loyalty rather than actual ability. I really fet it should ahve been an outside appointment, bringing in new ideas and insights - Phelan can't be offering anything new.

This sums up how I feel, the assistant I think has to be someone who will challenge the boss, who will forcefully put forward his own ideas and be able to stand up to Fergie when he knows something isnt working.

CQ definitely had this, I'm sure Smith had no trouble putting his point across to Fergie, Mclaren was a good coach by all accounts and had his own ideas, going way back Brian Kidd was excellent, I always regret him leaving the club but the opportunity he got was an excellent one.

CQ has been my favorite I think, he was instrumental in the signing of players like Ronaldo from what I have heard, and some of his tactical schemes were excellent, Phelan seems to have the job for his loyalty, that is a big problem to me. I dont ever see him doing anything but going along with the boss. Maybe I'm wrong on that. Just what I think, dont see where he has been to bring new ideas to training or tactics, wouldnt think he has much of a scouting network or contacts outside the UK either.

Musicians meticulously perfecting their art > some guy handy with a computer.

An argument for another forum! :D
    Ah but it's not just somebody handy with a computer.
    A musician will usually perfect an instrument and that would be it.
    A dance producer has got to write drums,bass,numerous synth and fx parts and also be his own sound engineer.

I'm not saying its harder but believe me,as someone who dabbles in dance music production,it's not just a case of being computer savvy.

And you're right,it is for another forum :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Ah but it's not just somebody handy with a computer.
    A musician will usually perfect an instrument and that would be it.
    A dance producer has got to write drums,bass,numerous synth and fx parts and also be his own sound engineer.

I'm not saying its harder but believe me,as someone who dabbles in dance music production,it's not just a case of being computer savvy.

And you're right,it is for another forum :)

Let's bring it over to the Music PRoduction forum and I'll try and ban ya! :pac:

Let's bring it over to the Music PRoduction forum and I'll try and ban ya! :pac:
    I hope you're coming all tooled up with your biggest banning stick.........I won't go quietly.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    His winner vs Fulham where he beat all 10 outfield players, the 5 players on the bench, came back and beat another 3 players then the keeper. The moment we won the league and the moment I knew he would be the best player in the world.

This is a very good top 10, awful music though, mute it and put a song you like on.

Number 10-6, fap.jpg

Number 5 RandyMarshJizz_New_Skyrim_Trailer-s635x477-140227.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

This is a first, me of all people defending Evans. Evans didn't clear the ball with his head, which is not an uncommon occurrence in such situations. Ferdinand positioned himself to cover this possible eventuality and was totally wrong footed. However, he did look like he was slightly off balance, with his body weight bringing him away from the ball thus hindering his reaction. Either way, I wouldn't be overly critical of either player because it was just one of those silly kind of goals that happens.

Balls not getting cleared and being allowed to drop to ground in front of the goal is thankfully pretty rare for us. Even with our injury plagued defence. It's definitely a mistake when that is allowed to happen.

Ronaldo goals: Since the Fulham goal has already been mentioned, I'll go with the CL final bullet header. A lovely cross from Wes Brown and Ronaldo towers above Essien and lamps the ball home. Lovely technique. The sound of Eamo spitting out his bitter tea in the RTE studio reverberated around the globe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I remember a header he scored in europe where he absolutely creased himself on the landing and couldnt even celebrate. Although he ran about 30 yards to make it.
    Genuinely privileged we had him playing for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I remember a header he scored in europe where he absolutely creased himself on the landing and couldnt even celebrate. Although he ran about 30 yards to make it.
    Genuinely privileged we had him playing for us

Against his old club Sporting Lisbon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Against his old club Sporting Lisbon?

Coulda been.
    Nope Roma
    Crap video though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Hate reminscing about Ronaldo. It just makes me sad.

I also feel a little bit like the high school girlfriend still longing for her former love, who went on to be a pro footballer in the NFL to come back to her and make her world right again.

Yes, that sad about the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Keano talks so much sence as a pundit. Really starting to like his analysis.

Well at least he found his niche, because managing a top tier team is just something he is not cut out for.

Well at least he found his niche, because managing a top tier team is just something he is not cut out for.

at the moment.

kryogen wrote: »
    at the moment.

I won't be holding my breath tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Speaking of Ronaldo...

x2_b087c7a

Rio met him after the Madrid match tonight.

(Is it just me or does Rio look ancient?)

• Advertisement

Every time I read about or see Ronaldo, I think of this...

6611507_L_1.jpg

He should have kidnapped him and got Madrid to agree to let us borrow him for a little while :) yeah thought the same myself about Rio for a while in plenty of his photos, generally his off the field ones. Think its cause his face is so thin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

baz2009 wrote: »
    Hate reminscing about Ronaldo. It just makes me sad.

I remember the day it was confirmed he was leaving. I had absolutely convinced myself that Marca were full of **** and he was going to stay, my main reasoning for this is because he said he was happy, why Cristiano, why if you were happy did you leave? But I woke up that morning with Sky Sports News still on the TV as I had fallen asleep watching it in my room and the breaking news bar was in full swing, big pic of Ronaldo and some prick, probably Graham Hunter, talking about Ronaldo at Madrid. I thought it was a dream, a nightmare, but I called a mate of mine, and he answered the phone and just said "He's gone." Crushed I was, ****ing crushed.

lol so gay.

Now that I think about it if you were to bring up some of my posts concerning Chicharito at about this time last year you would definitely be getting the wrong idea.

Fuc'k it though, watching Cristiano Ronaldo be presented to the Bernabeu was like watching 'the one that got away's wedding video.

He is coming back to his real family though, isn't he? Like the prodigal son, he will return...........won't he?

He is coming back to his real family though, isn't he? Like the prodigal son, he will return...........won't he?

No, sadly not. Unless you mean Sporting who I suspect he will play for in the final days of his career

Bit of boredom this morning so heres a transfer totally made up story /rumour.
    Manchester United move
    By Ali Butt, Reporter
    Filed: Sunday, February 19, 2012 at 08:45 UK
    Tottenham midfielder Luka Modric would be interested in a move to Manchester United at the end of the season, according to reports.

Modric, who was the subject of interest from local rivals Chelsea over the course of last summer, was eager to make the switch to Stamford Bridge.

However, it is now understood that the Croatia international has said that he is glad that he was unable to make the move after Chelsea's inconsistent start to their Premier League campaign under manager Andre Villas-Boas, according to The People.

Should he be allowed to leave White Hart Lane this summer, it is believed that the former Dinamo Zagreb man would prefer a move to Old Trafford.

• Advertisement

Interview with everyones favorite Assistant Manager :)

Taken from www.manutd.com
    Phelan: I'm the middle man

Assistant manager Mike Phelan talks about his work with the boss and players...

In terms of your role, how do you assist Sir Alex?

You back up a lot of things and put things in place, becoming a buffer between the players and the manager. You also become a little bit of a sounding board for the manager at times and also for the rest of the staff. We have to communicate things with each other and get the message across. We make plans and, as an assistant, you do exactly what the word says and assist in every department and, hopefully, try and make things run as smoothly as you can.

Has your role changed over the years. Do you take more training?

I think the role has developed. Years ago, the assistant manager did do a bit more on the training ground. Certainly, when I was coaching out there on the training ground I was doing a lot of work out there but now we have different people to do different things. Rene [Meuelensteen] does quite a bit of the coaching and there's myself, who is hanging around with the manager to discuss coaching, the games and individual players. My role now is being in between everything. Sometimes that can be good and sometimes it can be frustrating as you want to do a bit more if you possibly can but it's important to be a good listener if you're an assistant manager.

Has the manager mellowed at all as some of the players suggest?
    He has mellowed out, definitely. What the manager has created is a good working environment for people like myself and other members of staff to do their job. I think he's still in control of everything, still has the final word on everything but now has more of an oversee of everything that's going on and makes the major decisions. That's really important.

Do you have to treat each player differently?

I think you do. The modern player has now become quite open to situations where you have to think about them first. You need to give them an ear when they need to talk to you individually. You need to tell them sometimes what they want to hear and sometimes what they don't want to hear. You've got to get the balance right there. It's easy for players to find a member of staff who they can communicate well with. They know that they're not always going to get an answer they want all the time but we have that relationship amongst the staff and players. They understand what's required when they come to see a member of staff to discuss things and what they're being told is for their benefit.

How much has football changed since you played?
    The game itself has not changed. It's still about individuals, the team and results. It's about being prepared well for the games. What has changed is the way we get these things out of them and become a little bit more about the individual and collective. The individual now has far more members of staff to use to get them to the peak performance - both in terms of fitness and mentality - and being available for football matches. That has changed a lot. In my time, you were either fit or unfit. You either trained or didn't train. Nowadays, you can find you're not fit to play but you are fit to train. It's a bit of a weird one and I'm not sure how it sits with me overall. But now the process is in place to take care of players and we have to use that facility to get them out on the football field.

Mike Phelan was interviewed for MUTV's Inside Carrington programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Bit of boredom this morning so heres a transfer totally made up story /rumour.

He to me is one of the few who can pass and move the ball like the Scholes of present.
    While i have disappointed by him at times in some of Spurs big games i do think he would fit better at Utd than some other targets previously mentioned,he would cost a penny though,25-28 million i reckon,big stumbling block

dahat wrote: »
    He to me is one of the few who can pass and move the ball like the Scholes of present.
    While i have disappointed by him at times in some of Spurs big games i do think he would fit better at Utd than some other targets previously mentioned,he would cost a penny though,25-28 million i reckon,big stumbling block

He would cost far more then that, and with other teams sure to be in the hunt it would mean United are less likely to really make a big play for him anyway, the club shows very little or no interest in entering bidding wars against other teams, well other teams that can match or beat the financial muscle at the club.

If for example Chelsea renew their interest, there is no way United will match either what Chelsea will pay as a fee, upwards of 40 million, or what they can offer in wages.

Fees and wages could go out the window if Chelsea finish outside the top 4.

The man is made for United,apart from Xavi and Schweinsteiger I can't think of anyone that would come near as close a fit to what we need.

I know it's a long shot but if there's even the slightest chance then we should go all out for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Sorry if its been asked already

Is todays game been showed on TV?

• Advertisement

ROCKMAN wrote: »

Which one??

ROCKMAN wrote: »

?

No United game today mate.

Fees and wages could go out the window if Chelsea finish outside the top 4.

The man is made for United,apart from Xavi and Schweinsteiger I can't think of anyone that would come near as close a fit to what we need.

I know it's a long shot but if there's even the slightest chance then we should go all out for him.

Of course they wouldnt, one season outside the top 4 wont put many players off joining Chelsea tbh. I wouldnt write them off for that spot yet anyway.

plenty of other options out there too that have been listed here many times before so not going to go into them again, but there are a few of them who fit Uniteds transfer policy a lot better than Modric does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Which one??
    ?

No United game today mate.

Sorry lads was sure we had early kick off game today ,my bad next week :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

Getting old , brain starting to go.

Of course they wouldnt, one season outside the top 4 wont put many players off joining Chelsea tbh. I wouldnt write them off for that spot yet anyway.
    I'm not writing them off but they do look to be in free fall at the moment and who's to know what way a player thinks??
    plenty of other options out there too that have been listed here many times before so not going to go into them again, but there are a few of them who fit Uniteds transfer policy a lot better than Modric does.
    All about opinion of course,I'm not asking for any lists,I've seen most of the players listed too.
    I just think he's the perfect choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Funnily enough I'm part of a group singing that in concert. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Rio Ferdinand @rioferdy5
    Been up all night.....trying to find a body bag to put a certain person in....!!

:D Do it Rio, Do it.

Body-bag? He's no good to us dead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

As bad as some people make our midfield out to be I think we would dominate most other midfields in europe, especially in the europa league if we played this formation

scholes----carrick

cleverley

valencia or nani
    nani or young

Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

As bad as some people make our midfield out to be I think we would dominate most other midfields in europe, especially in the europa league if we played this formation

scholes----carrick

cleverley

valencia or nani
    nani or young

Rooney

Europa League maybe but not CL teams.

Scholes' passing and ability to dictate the pace of a game is unquestionable, his lack of pace would hurt us though.

Carrick's interceptions and passing stats are fantastic but put him under pressure on the ball and he is rather weak.

Cleverley has no European experience so cannot judge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

See Suarez is going to the Ajax game next week .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭irish_man

I'm sure it's probably been discussed on this forum several time but with Evra being consistently terrible of late, I think we should make a serious move for Leighton Baines. He's 27, so United could get 4-5 good years out of him. He's a top notch defender and would be another option at set pieces. I'd love if he came in and took over the corner duties. I can't count how many times I've sent the dog flying after seeing Giggs' corner hit the first man time and time again. I doubt he would cost a huge amount either (£12 million max). However, as seen with Jagielka, Fellaini and a host of Everton players, not many want to leave Everton. What does everyone think?

Leave him. It's up to him if he wants to spend an evening hearing ''do do do do do do do do do do do do racist bastard'' and watching his old club get knocked out of Europe first hand.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Leave him. It's up to him if he wants to spend an evening hearing ''do do do do do do do do do do do do racist bastard'' and watching his old club get knocked out of Europe first hand.

I think a big warm sarcastic round of applause would be great. And then to beat Ajax 4-0 at home with Evra scoring and waving to him in the crowd!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

hahaha legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

2rh9rja6uoi.gif

2qno9dz.gif

killwill wrote: »
    I think a big warm sarcastic round of applause would be great. And then to beat Ajax 4-0 at home with Evra scoring and waving to him in the crowd!!!

Nah, I say the crowd should stick with the ''dogs abuse'' approach. God knows he deserves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

hahaha legend

Replace the 'leg' with 'bell' and you'll be closer to the mark tbh.

Blatter wrote: »
    Replace the 'leg' with 'bell' and you'll be closer to the mark tbh.

I doubt he will even turn up to watch the game tbh.
    I would imagine he is waling a fine line after humiliating Dalglish already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

spurs drawing is good for us, i maybe wrong here, but that means they will play midweek now before we play them and we will be off.

from what i can make out, it would be arsenal away sunday, replay wednesday and the us at home sunday..

i could be wrong, but regardless, its another game for them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement