Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

killwill wrote: »
    I doubt he will even turn up to watch the game tbh.
    I would imagine he is waling a fine line after humiliating Dalglish already.

He'd be an idiot to turn up, so I guess we can't rule it out.
    spurs drawing is good for us, i maybe wrong here, but that means they will play midweek now before we play them and we will be off.

from what i can make out, it would be arsenal away sunday, replay wednesday and the us at home sunday..

i could be wrong, but regardless, its another game for them.

I don't think so, there's internationals on that midweek unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Zieler and Diouf have started for Hannover.

Diouf almost scored, he and Haggui both went for header, dont know who touched it last. Goal was credited to Haggui. Good to see him starting so early.

On the other note, Zeiler made a good save.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Diouf scored for Hannover..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Feck it anyway, the game isn't on telly next week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

baz2009 wrote: »
    It's on 3e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

The Norwich game on Sunday. I should've specified!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The Norwich game on Sunday. I should've specified!
    Oh, I subscribe to LOF so I don't have that problem. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Blatter wrote: »
    He'd be an idiot to turn up, so I guess we can't rule it out.

I don't think so, there's internationals on that midweek unfortunately.

ah b*llix....our record after internationals is shocking...

though the manager of stevenage said the game maybe on that week so its hard to know...

ah b*llix....our record after internationals is shocking...

though the manager of stevenage said the game maybe on that week so its hard to know...

It would be class if Tottenham had the replay on the Friday. Didn't Liverpool have their FA cup game with us less than 48 hours after their league cup semi v City?

I doubt the FA would do it though. Would be some schedule for the Spurs players - Internationals, FA cup replay and United game all in the space of around 5 days.

Blatter wrote: »
    It would be class if Tottenham had the replay on the Friday. Didn't Liverpool have their FA cup game with us less than 48 hours after their league cup semi v City?

I doubt the FA would do it though. Would be some schedule for the Spurs players - Internationals, FA cup replay and United game all in the space of around 5 days.

will probably be the week after so...

• Advertisement

Expect Park to play against Tottenham and most of the players retired/not involved with internationals.

Giggs and Scholes probably. Hopefully Carrick and Ferdinand don't get called up now that Capello's gone although I can see Carrick getting the phone call.

id hope that this is the team for ajax anyway.

amos

rafael smalling jones fabio
    park ando cleverly young
    hernandez berba

that then should see all 11 who i would hope to start at norwich, rested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

amos

park ando cleverly young
    hernandez berba

In fairness that's a very decent team considering you're leaving out most of the best XI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Any pub with Tring should be showing it,early kickoff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

That game against Norwich is a worrying one. Lambert is just the type of manager to go for a special set up to try and get at whatever he perceives our weaknesses to be.

He might try a pressing game to get at our midfield, or he might try something particular to get at whatever back four we have to play. And with the Ajax game late in the week, it might even be easy enough to predict our line-up.

/squeaky bum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

amos

park ando cleverly young
    hernandez berba

You don't see cleverley starting against Norwich? Too soon for him?

more so carrick and scholes are in good form and dont deserve to be dropped.id gladly take 4 points from these 2 games, this is our trickiest period of the season and its been going great so far. once we play spurs, i think our end to the season is good.

Cleverley could play against Ajax and then play at Norwich and still be fresh. He's only back and needs the games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Amsterdam looked like fun, no need for the policeman to be hitting people at the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

What was the policeman at the ends problem exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

kryogen wrote: »
    What was the policeman at the ends problem exactly?

We don't know what was going on, being said or what happened previously.
    Hard to judge the policeman without knowing the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

RasTa wrote: »
    Amsterdam looked like fun, no need for the policeman to be hitting people at the end

Fantastic video, until the end.

Police reaction sometimes are just ott.

It seemed like just good banter, but Police seemed to think otherwise.

It reminds me of time I went to watch Ireland in Slovakia and Czech Republic few years back and Police had right gear on as we were walking out the grounds. They looked ready for business which was sad really.

Only been on 2 away trips in Europe with United but both passed off without anything major so cant really comment other here might seen other stupid overreactions.

Fantastic video, until the end.

Police reaction sometimes are just ott.

It seemed like just good banter, but Police seemed to think otherwise.

It reminds me of time I went to watch Ireland in Slovakia and Czech Republic few years back and Police had right gear on as we were walking out the grounds. They looked ready for business which was sad really.

Only been on 2 away trips in Europe with United but both passed off without anything major so cant really comment other here might seen other stupid overreactions.

I saw this video on Redcafe. It was posted with a second video. In the second video the Police do a great job stopping what looks like potential fighting.

In the video posted above does it look like the Policeman gets hit with something? Both he and another Policeman start using their batons.
    It does look abit OTT though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

That looks like nothing more than good banter and a bit of a laugh between rival fans, and it seems like the police reaction was over the top.

That said, it's impossible to tell what exactly happened, so......

Definitely looks like the police came ready for more than what was actually happening....

alproctor wrote: »
    That looks like nothing more than good banter and a bit of a laugh between rival fans, and it seems like the police reaction was over the top.

That said, it's impossible to tell what exactly happened, so......

Definitely looks like the police came ready for more than what was actually happening....

Considering 70 Ajax fans had been arrested along with their love for Suarez, I can see why the police came prepared.
    Also there was voilence there just not picked up in that particular video.

We don't know what was going on, being said or what happened previously.
    Hard to judge the policeman without knowing the facts.

Thats fair enough, he just seemed quite trigger happy to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I saw this video on Redcafe. It was posted with a second video. In the second video the Police do a great job stopping what looks like potential fighting.

In the video posted above does it look like the Policeman gets hit with something? Both he and another Policeman start using their batons.
    It does look abit OTT though.

Not seen the second video, but will take your word for it.

If that is case then well they deserve few slaps although they did seem to overreact to what looked like good banter then anything.

But like you say we don't know full facts either.

As trouble goes these days, it's not much compared to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Fergie saying that it is likely there will be a role for him at United after he steps down as manager.

Very interesting, and possibly damaging imo!

if it is an ambassadorial role then fine, but I personally don't think him rattling round Carrington or Old Trafford while the new manager tries to set their own style on the team would be good for the players or the club in general. I really don't want him staying around as some sort of director of football - it needs to be a basically clean break from the football side of things, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Not seen the second video, but will take your word for it.

If that is case then well they deserve few slaps although they did seem to overreact to what looked like good banter then anything.

But like you say we don't know full facts either.

As trouble goes these days, it's not much compared to others.

70 Ajax fans were arrested,seems they turned up to cause trouble as did hooligans from Poland & Anderlecht.The cops got on top of the situation pretty quickly.

Would like a certain Ajax fan to get a few slaps of a baton if he turns up at OT. Hello Mr.Raci Suarez.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

he should defnitely leave the club when he retires.

The history is there of a legendary manager hanging around the place like a bad smell while the new guy fumbles and flusters around, he should know that history, and he should respect the new guy enough not to do that.

It's fairly selfish, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Fergie saying that it is likely there will be a role for him at United after he steps down as manager.

if it is an ambassadorial role then fine, but I personally don't think him rattling round Carrington or Old Trafford while the new manager tries to set their own style on the team would be good for the players or the club in general. I really don't want him staying around as some sort of director of football - it needs to be a basically clean break from the football side of things, imo.
    Hopefully it is something like Bobby Charlton does and not what Matt Busby did to Frank O'Farrell .

Bobby Charlton was never an extremely successful manager. It's a different thing completely.

Des wrote: »
    Bobby Charlton was never an extremely successful manager. It's a different thing completely.

Think he means the type of role taken up at the club by one icon as opposed to another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Thing is Fergie has been an unbelievably successful manager and if he takes up any role within the club he might find himself more involved than what he and the new manager might like. When he retires I would like him to come back to the club in such role in about 2 or 3 years time.

kryogen wrote: »
    Think he means the type of role taken up at the club by one icon as opposed to another.

yeah but Ferguson "going upstairs", like Charlton, as an "ambassador" would be a bad thing, there'd still be his shadow over the club.

TBH, he shouldn't even come to games once he leaves the manager's role, it would be bad for the new guy, it would be bad for the club.

Imagine the pressure on the new guy if Ferguson was

a. still employed by the club, in ANY role
    b. at games

It would be an impossible situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,840 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Is it possible that the club will appoint someone that Fergie will mentor from upstairs so to speak?
    Maybe this si the reason he will stay on at the club instead of walking away totally which he always said he would do,something must have changed for him to want to stay on.....

dahat wrote: »
    Is it possible that the club will appoint someone that Fergie will mentor from upstairs so to speak?

that is a ridiculous notion.
    Is it possible that the club will appoint someone Maybe this si the reason he will stay on at the club instead of walking away totally which he always said he would do,something must have changed for him to want to stay on.....

If it is to happen, it needs to be a assistant manager for a couple of years under Ferguson, then Ferguson gone completely,otherwise, if he moves upstairs, it will be the same anyway.

The new guy would have on respect from the players, the press, the fans if things start to go wrong.

I think Ferguson had this with both McLaren and Quieroz, but just never left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Maybe this si the reason he will stay on at the club instead of walking away totally which he always said he would do,something must have changed for him to want to stay on.....

It is possible they could be looking at some transitional phase with Fergie mentoring Giggs or Solskjaer, but I just think Fergie still being at the club when the new manager comes in is a recipe for disaster; it simply won't be fair on the new guy.

In a few years time when the post Fergie era has been established it could be ok (I don't think Fergie had issues with Busby being at the club at the same time) but immediately? It has to be a clean break to give the new guy a proper chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Heavy handed cops on horseback, no harm being doing at all and that's how they react.

Idiot cops on horseback, no harm being doing at all and that's how they react. Twats.

No need for that language in here!
    We don't know what was happening.

It seems people just love to presume Police, guards, etc are always wrong even when we don't know the in and outs of a senerio, crazy.

• Advertisement

+1, SAF presence would totally overshadow any manager at the club. He really has to step away completely and let a new manager settle in when the time comes. We do not want history repeating itself again.

No need for that language in here!
    We don't know what was happening.

It seems people just love to presume Police, guards, etc are always wrong even when we don't know the in and outs of a senerio, crazy.

You can calm yourself down and take your anti-garda/police accusations elsewhere. I mean where did that come from? I merely commented on heavy handed cops on horseback, nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Agree completely. No one here can definitively say what the circumstances behind the last scenes in the video were.
    Now i'm not saying either the fans involved or the police were right or wrong. No one knows, apart from those who may have directly witnessed it.
    Its a shame to see it, one way or the other, and whoever was in the wrong, be it police or supporter, deserves to be criticised!

You can calm yourself down and take your anti-garda/police accusations elsewhere. I mean where did that come from? I merely commented on heavy handed cops/idiots/twats on horseback, nothing more.

Wow, nice.

I was generalising and did not accuse you of anything except using foul words that are not welcome on Boards.

As already posted there wre troubles over in Amsterdam where well over 100 people were arrested.
    The work done by the Police was actually exceptional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This is how to handle the situation, not sure if these are United or Ajax

This is how to handle the situation, not sure if these are United or Ajax

Were they supporters that held that guy down or plain clothes police?

It is amazing who quick a minority can turn banter into thuggery.

Wow, nice.

I was generalising and did not accuse you of anything except using foul words that are not welcome on Boards.

As already posted there wre troubles over in Amsterdam where well over 100 people were arrested.
    The work done by the Police was actually exceptional.

You see this !!!!! = shouting/anger. So maybe don't use an exclamation in future if you don't want to illicit the wrong response. Generalising is one thing, but since you quoted me directly, it was my perception and reasonable enough to assume that you were doing more that just generalising.

What alproctor said earlier is absolutely correct. What the police did or did not do, I was not commenting on. I merely viewed one video and gave an opinion on that one video, nothing more.

Foul words?
    'Idiot' and 'Twat'
    are not particularly foul words by really foul word standards on most peoples barometers. I choose them so as not to not cause any offence.

But since I apparently have, I have thus removed them from my posts. In future though, just send me a PM and we can resolve any misunderstanding privately and avoid filling the thread such matters.

Sorry Killwill, I didn't see your PM when I posted this, thanks for that & all sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Ferguson when he retires should be given a golf bag and told to pay for his tickets into Old Trafford!

Ok kidding about the last bit!

I don't think it is healthy to have too many old stagers hanging arouind the club. Look at Bayern. every legend is a VP or a director and the atmosphere is at times toxic with none of them able to hold their piss. It is a very difficult political environment for a manager to operate in. I think when Ferguson goes he has to stay gone. All ties between him and the club must be cut. Even if he keeps his mouth shut the inferences will always exist if a new manager gets into a sticky spell with results. Even with him away from the club quotes will be attributed to him and mischief can be caused.

Ferguson when he retires should be given a golf bag and told to pay for his tickets into Old Trafford!

Ok kidding about the last bit!

I don't think it is healthy to have too many old stagers hanging arouind the club. Look at Bayern. every legend is a VP or a director and the atmosphere is at times toxic with none of them able to hold their piss. It is a very difficult political environment for a manager to operate in. I think when Ferguson goes he has to stay gone. All ties between him and the club must be cut. Even if he keeps his mouth shut the inferences will always exist if a new manager gets into a sticky spell with results. Even with him away from the club quotes will be attributed to him and mischief can be caused.

Two managers that might have the mental strength to deal with the post-SAF era are Pep and Jose. They have a good relationship with SAF and they also have his respect. So he might be more willing to back away if they were eventually in the hot seat.

Regardless of these two though, it will have to be a proven, well established manager. As much as I would love to see the likes of Solskjaer take over. He needs a few more years under his belt before doing so. And breaking the SAF umbilical is critical, if an ex-player is eventually appointed at a future date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Two managers that might have the mental strength to deal with the post-SAF era are Pep and Jose. They have a good relationship with SAF and they also have his respect. So he might be more willing to back away if they were eventually in the hot seat.

Regardless of these two though, it will have to be a proven, well established manager. As much as I would love to see the likes of Solskjaer take over. He needs a few more years under his belt before doing so. And breaking the SAF umbilical is critical, if an ex-player is eventually appointed at a future date.

Personally I'd prefer a new broom to sweep all, but alternatively say the Giggs Solskjaer thing were to be a runner, I'd want them in as assistant manager now, making decisions and putting thier identity on the team in a fashion similar to how Quieroz did when he was number 2.

Giggs would HAVE to retire from playing and concnetrate on the job in hand. Only if thier 'audition' was successful as number 2 would I think they were worthy of a shot. You have have to be able to see thier paw print on the team, how it was set up and the style they played etc. even down to personnel and the type of player brought it would have to have a mark of the new man on it.

Pep was successful because at Barcalona it was decided to have an in-house cnetric focus on how the team would be developed. The La Masia was going to be central to all this. Pep knew the system and more importantly trusted it and could be trusted to act in its best interests. An outside manager would not have done this. also when you look at some of his transfers they've hardly be roaring successes so I would to some degree worry about him in a situation outside of Barca.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement