Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Macheda is married! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Pics?

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Pics?

408164_10151312158650307_737165306_22562924_1406784483_n.jpg

:D

I know it's not what you were looking for but I have no interest in searching for women on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I know it's not what you were looking for but I have no interest in searching for women on the internet.

You can do things on the internet other than that? :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

finally scored then???

• Advertisement

Keno 92 wrote: »
    You can do things on the internet other than that? :O

Yeah, search for men! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Yeah, search for men! :D

Ewwwwww.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

430664_10150585286567746_7724542745_9435771_1555892915_n.jpg

Anderson looking fairly slim :eek: :pac:

Glad to see them both back, was a great partnership at the start of the season. Played some terrific football!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Smegball wrote: »
    Glad to see them both back,

Both? I would seriously qualify that statement when it come to Anderson. The guy is virtually cemented to the treatment table and can never do without it for long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Both? I would seriously qualify that statement when it come to Anderson. The guy is virtually cemented to the treatment table and can never do without it for long.
    sure just look at the pic, trying to drag cleverley down with him. disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

408164_10151312158650307_737165306_22562924_1406784483_n.jpg

Haha fair enough but that will do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Now if these funds were to be directed toward reducing the debt and further club investment, that would be a good thing. But worryingly, this is probably unlikely to happen.
    I'd say a good chunk of it will be though. If they get united down to a reasonable level of debt and look to sell on, the new owner will have to write a blank cheque to buy it.

Like another poster said, at least they have been hands off with their ownership, for how long remains to be seen

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Like another poster said, at least they have been hands off with their ownership, for how long remains to be seen

They're hands off as long as we are successful as it's easy to keep out of it.

Sure they're good owners in one way, but longterm i have my doubts. We're blessed with SAF. Remember these days well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Tbf, the debt situation under the Glazers has been improving for quite some time now. We're slowly but surely getting out of the woods, we'll be almost there if the planned flotation goes well and most of the money made from it is used to clear the rest of the debt.

I'd say a good chunk of it will be though. If they get united down to a reasonable level of debt and look to sell on, the new owner will have to write a blank cheque to buy it.

i would say there will be a good chunk of it used to pay off the debt, it is the most viable way of paying it off - and we either have to pay it off or issue new bonds in 2017. I really can't see any other way of paying off the debt that doesn't involve long term gouging of the club (which is an option....)

If/When they do decide to go through with the share sale, they will have to issue a document that will detail exactly what they are going to do with proceeds, so we will find out exactly what the money is to be used for.

I reckon we will see this happen in the second half of this year. I think we will be off to Asia in the summer for our pre-season tour and that will be used to drum up interest in club shares - and we will then move quickly to sell while the interest is at its highest.

Nothing to base that on other than my own speculation, and the fairly concrete rumours that we will be heading to Asia on the summer tour this year.

If the Glazers do pay off the debt with the proceeds of the share issue, i'll be delighted and happy with them to continue as owners - the debt is all I hold against them, though that is a MASSIVE issue and i hold it agaisnt them A LOT.

Without the debt, we are in a fantastic position, thanks to the Glazers. With the debt we are in a poor position and that is thanks to the Glazers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Its the interest really thats killing us. I think I read recently it was 60 million per annum :eek::eek: and the rate was 14% or something crazy

Thats one ronaldo every 18 months......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I think they want to reduce the debt due to the new rules coming next year regarding clubs finance

IIRC the FFP rules aren't a concern for United because it is based on turnover as well as debt and United are well within the limits required.

I would be very surprised if the share sales were not used to clear the debt. The debt is a huge drain on the Glazer's profits and relying on refinancing the debt when the bonds fall due would be too risky imo.

It has never really looked like the Glazer's ownership model could work and the sale of 30% of the club seems like the logical way of resolving that. I think we are always going to have ownership and finance concerns, it's just the nature of football clubs (except for German ones).

I was genuinely delighted to see Basel win tonight and I'd love to see them do the double on Bayern now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

No wonder Wazza is out for Thursday...spending a night partying in Rio with Fat Ronaldo would mess anyone up.....

riorooneyronaldo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Well...

I started my Jonezkreig sig bonanza in January, hoping to blast them all out in one continuous cycle, unfortunately the strain took its toll on my photoshop program and after only making 9 sigs, for some reason I couldnt get on it for more than 5mins without it crashing, therefore with a backlog of 6 sigs to make, I faced an unexpected obstacle. HOWEVER, I did not forget about the sigs, and still have the PM order, so as of 2 hours ago I have a fully fit photoshop up and running after about a month out.

Mars bar, baz2009 and db 21 here are your sigs:

Mars:
    MarsBar.jpg
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/mikeyt086/MarsBar.jpg

DB21:
    db21.jpg
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/mikeyt086/db21.jpg

Baz2009:
    Baz2009mk.jpg
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/mikeyt086/Baz2009mk.jpg

Sorry for the wait, hope you like them guys. Mars, I thought you would have serious trouble not loving Phil Jones in a suit, and when I saw the pic I knew I would do a 007 sig. DB21 I used a good pic of Jones with one of my fav pics of Old Trafford. Baz, I saw the pic and had to Make a Mortal Kombat sig, hope you played that as a kid otherwise it doesnt really make sense, but everyone played that, right? Up next: Pro F., Man.UtdLad and Average-Ro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭MJRS

It's all well and good saying the Glazers can reduce the debt with the stock market floatation, but how is that different from them taking money directly out of the club's bank account? I'll be happy to be debt free and all, but that 30% or whatever they plan to sell is a huge portion of money United won't be able to use/fall back on in the future. Disgusting owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

With Cleverley and Pogba starting I think we will go for 3 man midfield. Maybe Carrick will get around 50-60 mins as he has not played for 2 weeks. I would go with,
    Amos

Rafael Smalling Jones Fabio

Carrick
    Cleverley Pogba

Nani Hernandez Young

If not Carrick then Jones in the midfield. Young and Nani needs few games to get back to full match fitness.

Amos deserves few games and I think this is relatively easy game as we have 2-0 lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Sigs

Great work Mikey, loving the James Bond one:D

watched a bit of the press conference from yesterday - this story about pogba starting has been blown out of proportion imo; Fergie was asked driectly if there was a chance of him starting, and simply said there was - then went on to say it depended on the make up of the rest of the team and that there were a number of players that needed games.

Not a certainty by any means, despite the way it was reported yesterday.

Mikey, you are a legend! Love the suit! Thanks :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Sick I am in college tonight and can't miss two weeks in a row because of the Europa League. Hopefully it’s a stroll in the park and I can save my bunking off nights to later on in the competition.

Would love to see Pogba get at least half an hour tonight although I would prefer to see him being eased in rather than thrown straight in against a European giant just because he might need persuading to sign a new contract. Just my opinion of course but Fergie would never bow to agents demands like that, so if he plays him it will be because Fergie thinks he is ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fergie would never bow to agents demands like that,

Wayne Rooney called, he wants his demands back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    With Cleverley and Pogba starting I think we will go for 3 man midfield. Maybe Carrick will get around 50-60 mins as he has not played for 2 weeks. I would go with,
    Amos

Carrick
    Cleverley Pogba

Nani Hernandez Young

If not Carrick then Jones in the midfield. Young and Nani needs few games to get back to full match fitness.

Amos deserves few games and I think this is relatively easy game as we have 2-0 lead.

Could Cleverley work behind the striker?
    Amos

Nani Carrick Pogba Young

Cleverley
    Hernandez

Could Cleverley work behind the striker?
    Amos
    Nani Carrick Pogba Young
    Cleverley

Hernandez

I think he can, but Pogba did well when he came on as a sub in the free role. So they can swap positions like wingers does (Wont happen, just saying).

• Advertisement

Giggs eclipses Maldini

Sir Alex Ferguson believes Ryan Giggs is unique in football today and feels his remarkable longevity will never be repeated.

The midfielder is in contention to make an incredible 900th appearance for Manchester United in Thursday's Europa League tie against Ajax and he recently agreed another one-year extension to his Old Trafford contract.

When a team-mate like Tom Cleverley admits: "I remember pretending to be Ryan Giggs in the back garden," it illustrates the impact of somebody who was in the Reds' first team before the Premier League started in 1992.

Paolo Maldini, AC Milan's stalwart defender, remains slightly ahead of the Welshman after making 902 appearances and spending 25 years in and around the Serie A side's first team but Sir Alex is in no doubt that his player is the most exceptional.

"Maldini was a defender," stressed the boss. "And, although in his case, he did a lot of running as a full-back, wide players have more work to do than full-backs. That's the distinction between the two, although Maldini was obviously a magnificent player."

It's easy to forget many pundits expected Giggs to retire after overtaking Sir Bobby Charlton's number of appearances and scoring a crucial penalty in the Champions League final shoot-out victory over Chelsea in 2008.

"It's amazing," admitted Sir Alex. "When we went to Moscow he beat Bobby Charlton's record. It's phenomenal and he keeps defying his age. His performance level now is as it was then. Nothing's changed.

"I think Ryan's maturity and the fact we've changed his position has given a new aspect to his game. We remember him running up and down the touchline, running at full-backs.

"From my point of view, and not everyone will agree with me, is that being in the Premier League for as long as he has and achieved what he has, I don't think anybody else will ever do it."

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/Feb/ryan-giggs-achievements-eclipse-paolo-maldini-at-ac-milan.aspx

I tend to agree with SAF in thinking we'll probably never see a player like him again. A truly remarkable achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Don't think Pog is going to start myself.

Id say he will get some playing time alright, just dont see him starting.

Can see Carrick and Clev in the middle with Pog coming on for Clev in the second half

Park and Young on the wings , though with the injury to Valencia I'm hoping Young isn't actually involved at all, just dont know who else to play there

Maybe play Fabio left wing and Fryers left back, dont see it happening though!

So gonna say 3 man midfield of

--Jones----Carrick----Clev

with

--Park----Berba
    Hernandez

I'd guess Welbeck will be involved though.

Really don't know what to expect from the team selection tbh so just thinking out loud here, just dont see Pogba starting at all. Can't see him getting on the field until we score a goal either. Fergie will want to make sure the tie is dead and buried and bad as Ajax were a 2 goal lead isn't iron clad and I'd think Fergie will want a third before really letting the young guns off the leash

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Up next: Pro F., Man.UtdLad and Average-Ro.

Hey dude, you've already done mine.

Pogba not with the United squad at the team hotel (but still at least 2 more players to join up).

Fergie has apparently said he is not starting tonight.

If he isn't involved tonight, we can forget about him signing a new contract with us imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Pogba not with the United squad at the team hotel (but still at least 2 more players to join up).

If he isn't involved tonight, we can forget about him signing a new contract with us imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Don't think it will be that final, but it won't be a good indicator if he isn't involved, it would really suck to have to let Morrison and Pogba go in one season.

Really sickening, I think Pogba will stay, Fergie has said "the boy wants to stay, thats obvious" and that they were just having difficulty due to him changing his agent a couple of times or something, I am hopeful he will play some part tonight, Fergie wouldnt have said he could start if he knew he had no intention of involving him.....would he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Just looking forward to watching United after no game at weekend..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yes, I'm looking forward to tonight too, just like I do every European night. And just like every European night for as long as I can remember we'll play like shít and fumble the ball over the line once or twice. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

thanks Mitch!

Removed him from twitter just there... yawn fest.

Not starting? I'm hoping he might give him the second-half at least. But if he doesn't play, then it would be absolutely ridiculous alright. Morrison fell on his own sword and deserved what he got. But Pogba surely deserves some game time? Christ, he's a virtual saint when you compare him to Morrison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Giggs aged 14 playing for Salford against Blackburn in 1988.

For the kids here,he's Ryan Wilson and is wearing number 6.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

zerks wrote: »
    Giggs aged 14 playing for Salford against Blackburn in 1988.

For the kids here,he's Ryan Wilson and is wearing number 6.

He lost the ball leading up to Blackburn's first goal! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Do you know what's glaring watching that video?
    - the physical contact made in a lot of the tackles and all the kids staying on their feet, just getting on with it.
    At the start there's even a coming together between stiker an goalie in a 50/50 and they both brush it off like nothing happened.

Now we have grown men rolling around and sometimes even squaring up to each other for identical stuff.

I noticed it too in the ESPN classic re run of City v Utd from '93. Good honest tackles all over the pitch and all players just getting on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Cheers Mikey, love it! :D

Nunu wrote: »
    Do you know what's glaring watching that video?
    - the physical contact made in a lot of the tackles and all the kids staying on their feet, just getting on with it.
    At the start there's even a coming together between stiker an goalie in a 50/50 and they both brush it off like nothing happened.

Now we have grown men rolling around and sometimes even squaring up to each other for identical stuff.

I noticed it too in the ESPN classic re run of City v Utd from '93. Good honest tackles all over the pitch and all players just getting on with it.

I watched 92-93, 93-94, 95-96 seasons review yesterday (Was bored so wanted to watch majestic Cantona :D ), amazing how the game has changed. Some of the tackles were awesome, no doubt would have got red card in the modern day game.

Valencia tipped for return
    Antonio Valencia could be fit in time to face Tottenham at White Hart Lane on Sunday 4 March.

The classy winger suffered a hamstring strain after coming on as a substitute in the first leg victory against Ajax in the Europa League and was expected to be out for around a month.

However, Sir Alex is hopeful that the right-sided midfielder will be back in contention for a starting spot against third-placed Spurs.

"The availability of Ashley Young and Nani as natural wide players considerably strengthens our attacking options," the boss wrote in his column for United Review, the official matchday programme. "And I am sure our strikers are pleased to see them.

"They will be sorry to see Antonio Valencia injured again because he too provides great service from out on his wing, but it's not a particularly serious injury and he should be back in a week or so."

Valencia will miss Sunday's trip to East Anglia to face Norwich City as the champions look to keep the pressure on Manchester City at the top of the table.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/Feb/antonio-valencia-could-be-back-for-tottenham-fixture.aspx

Great news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

No pogba in starting line up :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Twittersphere indicates Pogba and Fryers have been told to sign contracts or feck off.

Did not supply a link as all the posts basically say the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Captain Jones :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

What the f uck i s the point in developing young players to let them go for peanuts.

Absolute joke that we lost Rav, now Pogba and Freyers look like they could be going the same way.

Really pissing me off.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement