Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Both Welbeck and Smalling start for England.

Edit: Young as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Despite it being a shyte team performance overall against Ajax, it was his disappearance which disheartened me most of all. He should be raring to go and trying to prove himself on the pitch at this stage in his fledgling career. A couple of nice passes doesn't cut it with me. I just hope he hasn't got the early signs of an incurable case of 'Andersonitis'.

''Should be raring to go'' doesn't mean anything when he's just back from a long injury and is playing beside Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Pro. F wrote: »
    ''Should be raring to go'' doesn't mean anything when he's just back from a long injury and is playing beside Park.

Motivation is a loloverrated factor. Which professional athletes go out on the pitch not looking to play to their best?

I'll give you Arshavin, as for everyone else they're all motivated, all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

The youths are playing Charlton in the FA Youth Cup sixth round. Kick-off is at 7 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Pro. F wrote: »

'Raring to go' = he should have something to prove, which he does. A handful of games early in the season proves nothing to me. As a professional he is only accountable for himself and his own performance on the pitch. Blaming another player, regardless of how good or bad they are is nonsensical. United have played a lot of shyte this season and amazingly Park wasn't even on the pitch to take the blame for it.

Blaming a return from injury is no excuse, he was declared fit to play after all. A player should be given several games in the reserves before returning to first team action. And if memory serves me right, Cleverley didn't have any reserve team action. Personally I think bringing a player straight back into the first team is ludicrous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Looking forward to see how Welbeck gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

adox wrote: »
    He is far from a finished article in the middle and needs a strong midfielder to play alongside him and may even be more suited to a three man midfield short term.

I totally agree and hopefully United will buy a strong midfielder who will own the zone and allow the likes of Cleverley to develop further.
    From the display against Ajax, I think he did alright for the first half hour and granted the game did pass him by after that, but as previously stated, it was always going to be a nightmare for him with Park alongside him. Add to that the poor display from the rest of the team and he really was fighting an uphill battle to impose his game.

I will be honest but blaming other players like Park, for his performance is irritating. As I said above replying to Pro. F - As a professional he is only accountable for himself and his own performance on the pitch. Blaming another player, regardless of how good or bad they are is nonsensical.
    hes a hugely important player to United imo.

I don't think he is at the moment and maybe that is a bit premature tbh. All going well he should indeed become a cog in our midfield. But since he has hardly played for the First team, I'm just reserving judgment on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

United youths should be one up, keeper did well! It turned into a counter and the United keeper did well then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

One up in youth cup.

Barmby.

Link
    http://www.yycast.com/skymovies11

Charlton were down to ten at the time due to a player having to change his socks as there was blood on them.

• Advertisement

Barmby scores a left footed beauty! :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Matts Daehli.

Crackin' little player.

1-1

1 - 1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

'Raring to go' = he should have something to prove, which he does. A handful of games early in the season proves nothing to me. As a professional he is only accountable for himself and his own performance on the pitch. Blaming another player, regardless of how good or bad they are is nonsensical. United have played a lot of shyte this season and amazingly Park wasn't even on the pitch to take the blame for it.

Of course playing more or less on his own in the centre of midfield is going to badly effect his performance.
    Blaming a return from injury is no excuse, he was declared fit to play after all. A player should be given several games in the reserves before returning to first team action. And if memory serves me right, Cleverley didn't have any reserve team action. Personally I think bringing a player straight back into the first team is ludicrous.

It takes games for a player to get up to speed, so yes it is an excuse.

Youth team v Charlton:-

Sutherland; Grimshaw, Blackett, Ioannou, McCullough (c), Rudge, Barmby, Hendrie, Byrne, Daehli, Van Velzen

• Advertisement

2-1 up.

Van Velzen.

2 1! Great header!

2-2 Sho-Silva.

2-2. What are they at?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Shocking. They've had nothing all second half and to get that goal was annoying. Terrible defending though.

• Advertisement

Charlton down to ten men. Player injured and they have used all 3 subs.

Into ten minutes of injury time.

Charlton are putting on a lot of pressure on our lads. That Harriet fella looks good...

Gus Poyets son is playing for Charlton.

Cracking game. Fair play to Charlton, playing great stuff since they went down to ten.

Who's this lad, Kenji Gorre?

Wilson

3-2 up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Smalling just after taking a huge crack in the England game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Ffffffuuuuuuuu international friendlies

I'd be surprised if that's not a concussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I'd be surprised if that's not a concussion.

I'd hope it's just a concussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Pretty hefty blow he took alright. Would be very surprised to see him feature at the weekend.

• Advertisement

thats a cracking goal from young - what a pass from jones!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Young after equalising for England!

The UTD boys saving England. :cool:

edit: then again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Jones and Young combine for an England equaliser:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Robbe made that look so easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Any update on Smalling? Nasty bang. Huntelaar looked demented after the clash, dazed, confused, blood flowing from his mouth, like a young lad after a night out in Carlow he was!

If Smalling was fit for Sunday, would he play? Jones right back, Rio and Evans centre has served us well recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Any update on Smalling? Nasty bang. Huntelaar looked demented after the clash, dazed, confused, blood flowing from his mouth, like a young lad after a night out in Carlow he was!

If Smalling was fit for Sunday, would he play? Jones right back, Rio and Evans centre has served us well recently.

read a while back that smalling was up and about in the dressing room, but with a nasty cut on his head. Apparently he is ok and should be fine for Sunday, but personally I would be surprised if he was ok for Sunday - he could feel fine but I would imagine the club will take it easy with him and not put him straight back into the action.

Face down on the bin outside scraggs..... :pac:

Cant see smalling being fit - really hope i'm wrong, but he looked in a really bad way after that hit.... never moved - always a bad sign imo....

Hope he's ok!

EDIT - just seen Mitch's post - nice to hear he's up and about...

read a while back that smalling was up and about in the dressing room, but with a nasty cut on his head. Apparently he is ok and should be fine for Sunday, but personally I would be surprised if he was ok for Sunday - he could feel fine but I would imagine the club will take it easy with him and not put him straight back into the action.

Injury aside, do ye think he would start at the moment?

• Advertisement

personally, I think he should be the first choice CB partner for Ferdinand/Evans; has been the most impressive defender for us this season imo.

In reality though, Evans and Ferdinand are the first choice pairing.

personally, I think he should be the first choice CB partner for Ferdinand/Evans; has been the most impressive defender for us this season imo.

In reality though, Evans and Ferdinand are the first choice pairing.

Despite some shaky performances and considerable improvement recently, Rio's experience is vital.

Despite some shaky performances and considerable improvement recently, Rio's experience is vital.
    it is vital, yes. I think he is doing fine now. In terms of performances though - Smalling and Vidic have been the best performers imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

From Twatter

Frazier Campbell became the 90th international player to come through the Manchester United Youth team.

Vidic

:(

Player rating results for February.

On the following link you will see the results for each game and the overall calculations, as well as the actual user ratings given.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqNp5FJ_qnMYdE04NlE4QlEtRWNWWVlHc2pxSEVXaWc

First table is the overall total, regardless of number of games played.

Name|Total|Games Played|Avrage Rating
    De Gea | 38.62 | 5 | 7.72
    Evans | 34.03 | 5 | 6.81
    Scholes | 33.85 | 5 | 6.77
    Welbeck | 31.52 | 5 | 6.30
    Carrick | 27.58 | 4 | 6.90
    Ferdinand | 26.74 | 4 | 6.69
    Hernandez | 24.94 | 4 | 6.24
    Rooney | 23.95 | 3 | 7.98
    Giggs | 21.55 | 3 | 7.18
    Young | 21.39 | 4 | 5.35
    Valencia | 21.15 | 3 | 7.05
    Rafael | 19.64 | 3 | 6.55
    Evra | 18.62 | 3 | 6.21
    Jones | 18.56 | 3 | 6.19
    Nani | 14.56 | 3 | 4.85
    Fabio | 11.66 | 2 | 5.83
    Cleverley | 11.16 | 2 | 5.58
    Smalling | 10.10 | 2 | 5.05
    Park | 8.34 | 2 | 4.17
    Berbatov | 5.20 | 1 | 5.20

second table is the players who played in more than half the available games (3 games or more out of 5), sorted by the average rating given. Rooney top - would have thought De Gea would ahve got it. Interesting that a number of players out ranked Scholes, despite the plaudits he has been getting. Much maligned Carrick and Evans out ranking him!
    Name|Total|Games Played|Avrage Rating
    Rooney | 23.95 | 3 | 7.98
    De Gea | 38.62 | 5 | 7.72
    Giggs | 21.55 | 3 | 7.18
    Valencia | 21.15 | 3 | 7.05
    Carrick | 27.58 | 4 | 6.90
    Evans | 34.03 | 5 | 6.81
    Scholes | 33.85 | 5 | 6.77
    Ferdinand | 26.74 | 4 | 6.69
    Rafael | 19.64 | 3 | 6.55
    Welbeck | 31.52 | 5 | 6.30
    Hernandez | 24.94 | 4 | 6.24
    Evra | 18.62 | 3 | 6.21
    Jones | 18.56 | 3 | 6.19
    Young | 21.39 | 4 | 5.35
    Nani | 14.56 | 3 | 4.85

• Advertisement

Mess with Smalling and this is what happens to you....
    ibJVhZp3Gs5o4.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Well, Smalling is the one who ended up in hospital.

Oh FFS, I was hardly being serious!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

article-2108438-11F9E1FA000005DC-557_634x421.jpg

Apparently Huntelaar broke his nose, lost 3 teeth and suffered concussion, Smalling split his head open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I said before that Smalling should be always starting at centre half when fit while Vidic is out. Neither Ferdinand or Evans are as dominant in the air as him and as has been mentioned numerous times, we've been conceding far too many goals from teams launching balls into the box.

At the same time, the number of actual goals we've been conceding overall hasn't been too bad, and Ferdinand/Evans have been doing relatively well so I can see how it's hard to drop one of them, but I would tbh.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement