Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The league is of course the priority but I question anyone saying they dont really care!???
    s.welstead wrote: »
    Yeah I really don't understand it. Fair enough rating it a lower priority but it's very hard for me to understand not caring about going out of it.

United aren't entitled to win any trophies and should be busting a gut to do all they can after their failure in the Champions league.
    It's a trophy, we're still well in it and should be not be treated with disrespect by the fans or players. Its this kind of bs that labels the likes of the Carling Cup as the Mickey Mouse cup and really grates me. How many players finish a career having never won a major/minor national cup, let alone a european winners medal.

You guys should calm down and stop losing the run of yourselves there. Because you are making way too many ridiculous assumptions.

To reiterate, the LEAGUE must be the priority. United have had the worst injury ridden season on record. So to win the league this season, could be regarded as one of SAF greatest achievements.

Last week was one of the greatest humiliations I have ever witnessed for a United team. Bilbao dominated and out played United more than Barcelona ever did imo. So lets be realistic, United will have to score 3 away goals tomorrow to win and hope Bilbao are held scoreless.

As a result, I will therefore be making no emotional investment in the game. Beating City means everything for me this season and nothing else. So don't direct your self-appointed guardians of the true United supporter's crap at me please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

The Liverpool game where he got stuck into Gerrard has turned out to be a curse on him

Myth. He didn't have the better of Gerrard in that match at all.

We were the better team for much of that game with yous grabbing a winner at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Poor Berba, Its a shame how this all worked out for him. He had a couple of fairly bad seasons and SAF stuck it out with him, then he had an excellent season and got stuck on the bench the following season. Really can't blame him for leaving but I think he was treated pretty badly, of course we don't know what goes on behind the scenes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Mr Alan wrote: »

We were the better team for much of that game with yous grabbing a winner at the end.

tumblr_lb7m9k3Phg1qevhz5o1_500.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

berba leaving would be bad news. no other striker like him would guarantee 15 goals a season with limited appearances.

selling him makes no sense. and would mean we would need to sign another striker, meaning that the likely hood of the CM position being neglected again would be high.

i can see another summer of not signing a CM ahead which would just be an absolute disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I will cry if we do not buy a top quality CM this summer

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Mr Alan wrote: »

I actually agree with you, Gerrard was doing one of his frequent disappearing acts in that game. Had he bothered turning up, maybe Ando could have had the better of him. Who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

what you guys think of this line up

degea

Rafael
    Rio
    Evans
    Evra

Carrick
    Scholes

Valencia
    Nani--

Young

Rooney

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

degea

Rafael
    Rio
    Evans
    Evra

Carrick
    Scholes

Valencia
    Nani--

Young

Rooney
    Amazing, truly.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

degea

Rafael
    Rio
    Evans
    Evra

Carrick
    Scholes

Valencia
    Nani--

Young

Rooney

christ almighty.

• Advertisement

i wonder is andos latest injury, the end of him?

jaysus apart from carrick and scholes, our CM has been made of glass this year.

as it stands, we have carrick, cleverly and scholes for CM with giggs an option also as well as jones. its depressing. ando leaving, would see us need 3 players in there, unless scholes plays on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

as it stands, we have carrick, cleverly and scholes for CM with giggs an option also as well as jones. its depressing. ando leaving, would see us need 3 players in there, unless scholes plays on.

I think there's time left for Anderson; he looked excellent at the start of the season alongside Cleverley and was even beginning to look a slight goal threat!

Give him another season IMO.

Really looking forward to our transfer dealings - would love to see Goetze brought in with all the attention on Hazard..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

FA youth cup semi against Chelsea is live on ITV4 on friday:D:D

Manchester United are set to offer €23m to Ajax for two players 20-year-old Christian Eriksen & 17-year-old Viktor Fischer. [calcio]

eriksen looked good against us, but i would be worried its another henderson waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Former United great Zoran Tosic has scored against Real Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Former United great Zoran Tosic has scored against Real Madrid.

Top, top goal it was too, even if it was a consolation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

eriksen looked good against us, but i would be worried its another henderson waiting to happen.

:eek:

Eriksen.... Jordan Henderson?....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Thats not enough for money for Eriksen never mind for both of them.

I do actually think Anderson days at United are up.

I was one of few who kept faith with him, but I think this setback may well be last straw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

In order for that to happen he'd have to forget how to play football and just run around like a labrador chasing the ball for 90 minutes which then doesn't know what to do with it when he finally gets it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

zerks wrote: »
    In order for that to happen he'd have to forget how to play football and just run around like a labrador chasing the ball for 90 minutes which then doesn't know what to do with it when he finally gets it.

Park?

Eathrin wrote: »
    Park?

He'd just eat the labrador:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

To be fair, even as a United fan; Henderson shouldn't be completely ruled out as a prospect.

Lucas was absolute muck for years and has developed into a great asset for Liverpool.

Erikson would be quality :)

Who would yous take out of the following:

Erikson
    Hazard
    Goetze
    Munian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Smegball wrote: »
    To be fair, even as a United fan; Henderson shouldn't be completely ruled out as a prospect.

pineapple-express-laughing.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Henderson actually has great potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Well if we win the league as is almost certain now, you could be doing alot of crying.
    Ferguson is a stubborn man and his refusal to buy a quality CM for the last 5 years is becoming a farce at this stage.

United have had to adapt their style of football over the last 5 years to allow for the deficiencies in central midfield.
    The cavalier attacking football is long gone .

Well if we win the league as is almost certain now, you could be doing alot of crying.
    Ferguson is a stubborn man and his refusal to buy a quality CM for the last 5 years is becoming a farce at this stage.

United have had to adapt their style of football over the last 5 years to allow for the deficiencies in central midfield.

Have City been deducted 15 points for some reason?:eek::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah, woah...

Woah...

Woah...

League is far from over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I do actually think Anderson days at United are up.

I was one of few who kept faith with him, but I think this setback may well be last straw.

I dont think so. He is 23, 18 months older than Cleverley. All he just needs is bit of luck with injuries. When he got run of games he did well. If the injury problem is sorted then he will be very useful player for us.

In the first few games he started so well, doing every possible role of a CM. He has the ability but should get some luck with injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

So does Bebe.

Im not sure about Lucas too. Anyone would look decent in their midfield(Charlie Adam excluded) when Gerard is missing, just look how bad Mereles is with Chelsea this year.

• Advertisement

Didn't someone state that "he's very good at running alongside players"? So is a dog but that doesn't make the dog a footballer.

When United were linked with him I hoped that we wouldn't sign him and now there he is,an average player at an average club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

You guys should calm down and stop losing the run of yourselves there. Because you are making way too many ridiculous assumptions.

To reiterate, the LEAGUE must be the priority. United have had the worst injury ridden season on record. So to win the league this season, could be regarded as one of SAF greatest achievements.

Last week was one of the greatest humiliations I have ever witnessed for a United team. Bilbao dominated and out played United more than Barcelona ever did imo. So lets be realistic, United will have to score 3 away goals tomorrow to win and hope Bilbao are held scoreless.

As a result, I will therefore be making no emotional investment in the game. Beating City means everything for me this season and nothing else. So don't direct your self-appointed guardians of the true United supporter's crap at me please.

WTF are you talking about? Seriously. You go on about ridiculous assumptions and then go on make a load yourself.

As I stated I am fine with priorities. Of course the league is priority, who is denying that?
    What I said was I don't understand people who dismiss the competition and not care if you qualify for the next round.
    Where the hell are you getting this self-appointed guardian bs from that???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I thought Eriksen looked excellent against us, composure and two-footed passing ability in spades, I'd be delighted if we signed him. His positioning and reading of the game was brilliant too, I lost count of how many times he picked the ball up in space between midfield and attack before moving it on to a winger or shooting, it reminded me a lot of Scholes five years ago.

I wouldn't be in favour of giving up on Anderson but we could do with toughening up himself and Cleverly because as great as they appear to be as a partnership, it's no good if they can only manage a game a season together.

I'm starting to think Sir Alex hasn't bought midfielders over the last few years because he is developing an anti Barcelona strategy that doesn't involve ball winning midfielders in the conventional sense. I think he sees Carrick as his version of Busquets and intends on building a 4-1-3-2 around him which then relies on high pressing and fast counter attacking.

Something like:

Rafael ---- Jones ---- Smalling ---- Fabio

Carrick

Young
    Cleverly
    Anderson

Rooney
    Wellbeck

Obviously I've plonked Young in there in place of a single midfield signing which I think is from a range of 4/5 young European talents with Eriksen my preference based on the limited games I've seen. Mind you the kid who scored the last goal against us for Bilbao last week would do nicely too if he can build on his performance that night.

I also think that our squad is very nicely built now to be able to deploy many different formations in each competition based on our opponents and we've got plenty of strength in depth.

So does Bebe.

Im not sure about Lucas too. Anyone would look decent in their midfield(Charlie Adam excluded) when Gerard is missing, just look how bad Mereles is with Chelsea this year.

No he doesn't. Lol'd at your second point alot though, thanks.

Didn't someone state that "he's very good at running alongside players"? So is a dog but that doesn't make the dog a footballer.

When United were linked with him I hoped that we wouldn't sign him and now there he is,an average player at an average club.

You're knowledge of football is pretty terrible so I wouldn't expect anything less though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Ah bollox,only copped it's a 18:00pm kick off.
    Praise the lord Steve Jobs and his disciple liveonlinefooty for empowering me with the ability to watch football anywhere......as in work this evening :)
    and the back of church 3 weeks ago at a christening.
    And the NCT centre last Sunday.......etc.etc.etc.

Henderson looks as much a prospect as any other half decent young lad,he has shown nothing to suggest he will go on to become a quality player.

Its getting thrown out there that he's a late developer and not everyone is brilliant at that age.......He also might not be that good.

Until he shows some kind of form it's pointless to say he has great potential.
    Every academy in the league has great potential.

You're knowledge of football is pretty terrible so I wouldn't expect anything less though.

It's no worse than Jordan Henderson's.I had him sussed since day one & you seem to rate him???
    Next you'll be comparing Adam to Iniesta.

Have you ever played the game?

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Henderson looks as much a prospect as any other half decent young lad,he has shown nothing to suggest he will go on to become a quality player.

Its getting thrown out there that he's a late developer and not everyone is brilliant at that age.......He also might not be that good.

Until he shows some kind of form it's pointless to say he has great potential.
    Every academy in the league has great potential.

So he didn't show any kind of form at Sunderland in his 60 odd appearances? Right. Considering the hype Cleverly has gotten based on far less appearances I find most of this pretty comical.

It's no worse than Jordan Henderson's.I had him sussed since day one & you seem to rate him???

No doubt you have had him sussed since 2009. Yes I have.

So he didn't show any kind of form at Sunderland in his 60 odd appearances? Right. Considering the hype Cleverly has gotten based on far less appearances I find most of this pretty comical.
    I didn't rate him at Sunderland.
    If you are any use at detective work you'll find a post of mine that states I would be disappointed if him and Rodwell were the class of player we were after.

As for Cleverley,he's put in some excellent performances for United,something Henderson has yet to do for Liverpool.
    Cleverley is still overhyped by a lot of people but he looks the part when he plays.

I didn't rate him at Sunderland.
    If you are any use at detective work you'll find a post of mine that states I would be disappointed if him and Rodwell were the class of player we were after.

As for Cleverley,he's put in some excellent performances for United,something Henderson has yet to do for Liverpool.
    Cleverley is still overhyped by a lot of people but he looks the part when he plays.

Give him another year, play him in his best position and he certainly has a good chance. Cleverly has the benefit of playing in an excellent team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

lol is this a joke post?

Give him another year, play him in his best position and he certainly has a good chance. Cleverly has the benefit of playing in an excellent team.
    He could turn out to be good but there's also a possibility that he is as limited as he often looks.

Don't mean to be having a go or anything,the whole idea of people saying players have great potential grates on me a bit.
    It's nigh on impossible for your average football fan to predict how well a player will eventually turn out,even the best managers in the game can't even do it all of the time.

We didn't sign Henderson, he is your problem. There is no need to come across here attack posters just to justify your club/manager's mistakes.

He could turn out to be good but there's also a possibility that he is as limited as he often looks.

Don't mean to be having a go or anything,the whole idea of people saying players have great potential grates on me a bit.
    It's nigh on impossible for your average football fan to predict how well a player will eventually turn out,even the best managers in the game can't even do it all of the time.

I agree, it is very difficult but I don't think he looks limited because of a lack of skill. He's a very good passer, good technique, solid on the ball and generally makes good decisions and has good vision. He looks far better in the centre as attacking midfielder than on the wing. He's not great a dribbling and he's not great at crossing either, two areas that will make anyone who plays on the wing look fairly limited. Areas he lacks in are physicality and tackling and I'm not sure he'll ever improve on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

So does Bebe.

Are you deluded.

If Lucas was english it would be non stop talk about him but as he's a 'WHITE'
    brazilian he flys under the radar when it comes to media spotlight, thankfully people with a brain apprecaite just how good he is.

Starts for Brazil when he's fit and ready, performs on an international level just as well as he performs in the premierleague never goes missing and always does a terrific DFM job, in fact I'd go so far as saying he's the best in the premierleague at his positon.

liverpool are a shadow of a team in midfield without him.

Btw, I'm a fanatical united fan, but I can appreciate talent.

Henderson on the other hand, wow...him and downing, money well spent.:eek:

I'm not deluded thankfully ;).

He had a good second half of the year last season, prior that he has been average. Him missing this year has been exagerrated by Gerrards injuries. Give me Scott Parker any day of the week.

At least we can agree on Henderson and Downing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Oh for fuck sake.

Listen, it's simple, people still questioning Lucas' quality don't know shit about soccer, end of. Move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

"Deluded"

"Retarded"

Two words that should be banned from the internet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

alproctor wrote: »
    "Deluded"

"Retarded"

and replaced with "quare bad" & "quare stoopid"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

alproctor wrote: »
    "Deluded"

"Retarded"

Yep. Also there should be an automatic two week ban on the soccer forum for decrying one person's OPINION without backing up your counter opinion.

It is easy for me or anyone to troll around saying this point is 'bollocks' or 'retarded' and not provide a counter point. The fact remains that the people who do this are themselves, in fact, the 'retards'.

There is loads of stuff I disagree with here on certain points but I'll always doff the cap to a point that was considered and though out regardless of how 'out there' it may be. It is quite sad that there are a few warriors on the soccer board who think they can just shout down points ad hoc whilst providing no alternative.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement