Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

MD1990 wrote: »
    i'm worrying what Liverpool will do with all the champagne when they hopefully win the FA Cup

You would have quite a supply after 6 years.

Ye did use a bit though celebrating that huge trophy you lifted to your credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    The worst, THE ASBOLUTE WORST part of this whole Evra situation is...

Sir Alex Ferguson is completely turning a blind eye. How Evra is not only is starting every game, but captaining the side, is honestly one of the most baffling things I have encountered in the time I have supported Manchester United.

There was a time when if someone performed as badly as Evra has been over the last 8 months IN ONE GAME, he would literally get a boot to the face.

As well as Fergie turning a blind eye, so too have the media. They usually hunt down players for bad performances. Almost none of them have picked up on it.

The guys that I know who 'support' United don't seem bothered by it. They probably think he's having a great season.

Yet think back to when Nani a few seasons ago when he was playing poorly and the amount of people that wanted him gone from United for life. They really haven't a clue.

Evra is guaranteed to start because he is captain. If Vidic was there I reckon we might have seen a change. Possibly O'Shea in there if he was still here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Has the Berbatov story been posted here yet?
    Looks like he's on his way out.
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1035468/sir-alex-ferguson:-dimitar-berbatov-set-for-manchester-utd-exit?cc=5739
    May have been mentioned in the analysis either, but I didn't watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

i'm worrying what Liverpool will do with all the champagne when they hopefully win the FA Cup

Oooohh, you burned us there! :pac:

mj-laughing.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

if United fan said that we be labeled arrogant;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Eathrin wrote: »
    Has the Berbatov story been posted here yet?
    Looks like he's on his way out.
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1035468/sir-alex-ferguson:-dimitar-berbatov-set-for-manchester-utd-exit?cc=5739
    May have been mentioned in the analysis either, but I didn't watch it.

Have Ferguson and Berbatov had a bust up ?
    How else is Berbatov being treated so badly,its almost like he is a leper .
    As well as Fergie turning a blind eye, so too have the media. They usually hunt down players for bad performances. Almost none of them have picked up on it.
    Thats very true.
    The English media keep gushing on about how Man Utd play cavalier attacking football,and its in the club ethos to play attractive football.
    That may have been true at one stage but it hasnt been the case for at least the last 5 years.
    The football is alot more functional than attractive.

Whats really worrying is that Ferguson seems to have lost his objectiveness.
    He has repeatedly underestimated the opposition and overestimated his own players this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Lads, don't feed the trolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

How else is Berbatov being treated so badly,its almost like he is a leper .

Thats very true.
    The English media keep gushing on about how Man Utd play cavalier attacking football,and its in the club ethos to play attractive football.
    That may have been true at one stage but it hasnt been the case for at least the last 5 years.
    The football is alot more functional than attractive.

Whats really worrying is that Ferguson seems to have lost his objectiveness.
    He has repeatedly underestimated the opposition and overestimated his own players this season.

The team we had in 1999 probably would have lost V Bilboa as well, they werent as technical either as this bilboa team thats for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Dear Santa / Jimmy Saville,

Please, please, please can you arrange it for Manchester United to sign Leighton Baines.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Dear Santa / Jimmy Saville,

Please, please, please can you arrange it for Manchester United to sign Leighton Baines.

Thank you.

It's alright in 2 or 3 years when Giggs hasn't got the legs for cm he will play at LB.

Joking aside Fabio must be wondering what the fúck he has to do to get even a game in the team.

Fergie's blindness is really starting to pîss me off at this stage.

• Advertisement

There has been a few of you who have mentioned Mick Phelan contribution in past and saying that he a poor number 2.

More I see him on the bench looking clueless the more I think ye were spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

No surprise at all about tonight's result. Outplayed last week and deservedly beaten again tonight, by a team that is lying Seventh in the Spanish league. The only positives for me was DDG, because he certainly prevented Bilbao from reaching double figures. And at least Pogba got some game time which is good.

With this distraction gone, hopefully they will now focus 100% on winning the League. Dumped out of the CL and not not able to make the grade in the Europa Cup. SAF has some serious thinking to do, surely now he must see the weaknesses in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Congratulations must go to the Athletic Bilbao fans,the noise they made for 90 minutes was amazing plus the ovation from them for Giggs when he went off,they even applauded Rooney's goal.

And they all stayed 'til the end of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

How else is Berbatov being treated so badly,its almost like he is a leper.

It's a strange one. Berbatov is clearly being sidelined by Fergie and it seems his days at OT are effectively over. He'd surely have been a better option tonight than Paul Pogba.

And what of Michael Owen? I know he's out injured alot but even when fit Fergie hasn't given him a look in. So what was the point signing him?

On a final note, Rafael is a defensive liability.

zerks wrote: »
    Congratulations must go to the Athletic Bilbao fans,the noise they made for 90 minutes was amazing plus the ovation from them for Giggs when he went off,they even applauded Rooney's goal.

Was actually magnificent to see it, and I really hope they go onto win it now, there supporters deserve great credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

aidan24326 wrote: »
    And what of Michael Owen? I know he's out injured alot but even when fit Fergie hasn't given him a look in. So what was the point signing him?
    He was free and he is on a pay as you play contract.

zerks wrote: »

Even at Old Trafford, their fans out performed the United fans. A credit to their club they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Apparently 2012 will be the first year since 2003 where United have failed to contest a cup final.

2003 - League Cup final.
    2004 - FA Cup final.
    2005 - FA Cup final.
    2006 - League Cup final.
    2007 - FA Cup final.
    2008 - Champions League final.
    2009 - League Cup final/Champions League final.
    2010 - League Cup final.
    2011 - Champions League final.
    2012 - :(.

Thought it was a cool stat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

J. Marston wrote: »
    Apparently 2012 will be the first year since 2003 where United have failed to contest a cup final.

2003 - League Cup final.
    2004 - FA Cup final.
    2005 - FA Cup final.
    2006 - League Cup final.
    2007 - FA Cup final.
    2010 - League Cup final.

Wow, never would have thought of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

2003 - League Cup final.
    2004 - FA Cup final.
    2005 - FA Cup final.
    2006 - League Cup final.
    2007 - FA Cup final.
    2010 - League Cup final.

I know of a certain Merseyside club who would gladly swap their Carling Cup final appearance to be this close to League Title No.20!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Actually, it would only be 19 for them but who cares?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

No surprise at all about tonight's result. Outplayed last week and deservedly beaten again tonight, by a team that is lying Seventh in the Spanish league.

Seventh in the table is a misleading placing .
    Bilbao had a dreadful start to the season and only picked up 2 points in their first 5 matches as their style of play was changing under Bielsa.
    Since then they have only lost 4 games in the league out of 21.
    They are only 3 points off fourth and could be in the Champions league next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

No surprise at all about tonight's result. Outplayed last week and deservedly beaten again tonight, by a team that is lying Seventh in the Spanish league.

Seventh in the table is a misleading placing .
    Bilbao had a dreadful start to the season and only picked up 2 points in their first 5 matches as their style of play was changing under Bielsa.
    Since then they have only lost 4 games in the league out of 21.
    They are only 3 points off fourth and could be in the Champions league next season.

They are good but their performances against us was their two best of the season.

Let's not get away from the fact that they are a talented bunch of guys. But they are not a par I want to fall below in Europe. The two performances were disgraceful. But we havent played well all year bar maybe the first three games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I know you spent some cash in the summer, but I really do think that since the yanks came on board, Utd have simply not been allowed to pursue their normal transfer targets as they have kept a tight reign on the transfer kitty.
    Fergie had no problem spending big money on future stars like Rooney and Ferdinand, but I think he's had to lower his sights a bit. I know yiu have bought some good young stars, but nobody to the calibre of Rooney imo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

if people ignore just how s*ite cleverly was tonight, ill honestly lose all faith in this place.

he was absolutely awful...please tell me ye all saw that and not just granting him a pardon due to his early season performances?

and thats now 9 defeats, with park starting 8 of them. we may as well have been playing with 10 men tonight...again.

Cleverley was played out of position. He is not a winger so that was never going to work to be fair to him. (I think you said this in a later post)
    Positives were Pogba and Carrick. Pogba didn't look out of place, capable of sticking in a tackle and picking a pass. He improved us without a doubt, all though it wouldn't be hard. Miss our midfielders sticking the boot in. Credit to the boy.

Carrick, his continental style really suited the game. I thought he was easily our best player in the first half, Retained the ball well and struck on super pass for Giggs, who pulled it to Park, who miscontrolled it.:rolleyes: I was never a fan but this season, he's been vital. Well done Carrick.

I can't believe you are saying this stuff!

Carrick's continental style really suited the game and he retained the ball well? Pogba didn't look out of place? .........What. The. Fúck.

We were just schooled and played off the park for 90 minutes. Both of those players couldn't get a kick of the ball, your description of their performances is just bizarre.

• Advertisement

Pro. F wrote: »
    Carrick's continental style really suited the game and he retained the ball well? Pogba didn't look out of place? .........What. The. Fúck.

We were just schooled and played off the park for 90 minutes. Both of those players couldn't get a kick of the ball, your description of their performances is just bizarre.

Carrick was the pick of the bunch in the first half. Who was better? He started poorly in the second half i'd agree. I thought he done well because the players he played it to were the ones losing it not him. Rooney must have tried to turn and constantly got dispossessed. Park got the ball, fell over, got the ball fell, over. Cleverley? Did he complete a pass? I did say was TRYING to pick postives.

Pogba didn't look out of place. What exactly did he do wrong? Both players couldn't get a kick? Maybe we were watching a different game but Pogba was heavily involved before the goal and prodded plenty of balls for fowards from midfield. He got booked but so what? Hard to not be frustrated coming on, with nothing to play for in a side that's getting destroyed. This is a youngster who hasn't played more than a couple of games worth of minutes in the first team coming on, with no hope, in a very intimating stadium. Have some bloody perspective for god sake. He was naive in parts, showed some passion and strung some passes together for a decent cameo. What you want from him a hat-trick to win us the tie?

"Bizzare" is pretty much hyperbole. We had just as much possession as Bilbao, it's just we had no penetration. Our wide players offered nothing which really is a killer. Park can't play football and Giggs was totally off form. Even worse because neither of wingers were offering anything and it pinned our full-backs back, which resulted in a whopping one awful cross from Rafael and an horrendous all round performance from our 'captain' for the night.

Apoligises for trying to pick out some glimmer of positives from a horrible night.

I know you spent some cash in the summer, but I really do think that since the yanks came on board, Utd have simply not been allowed to pursue their normal transfer targets as they have kept a tight reign on the transfer kitty.
    Fergie had no problem spending big money on future stars like Rooney and Ferdinand, but I think he's had to lower his sights a bit. I know yiu have bought some good young stars, but nobody to the calibre of Rooney imo

Players like that are coming on the scene everyday now. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Did anyone else see Welbeck in the final minute, Utd were playing the ball around midfield with no urgency and won a free. Welbeck comes running back into his own half, takes the free, plays it short, gets the return and runs forward with the ball, running at defenders.
    I know the game was all but over but at least he was showing desire. It was bad been outplayed but the lack of desire was worse, heads dropping, nobody throwing in a challenge. Thank god for Pogba coming on and getting stuck in, makes players think twice next time they receive the ball. Who cares if he got a yellow, I would rather see a player giving it his all and getting sent off rather than strolling around the field, giving the ball away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

tvercetti wrote: »
    Did anyone else see Welbeck in the final minute, Utd were playing the ball around midfield with no urgency and won a free. Welbeck comes running back into his own half, takes the free, plays it short, gets the return and runs forward with the ball, running at defenders.
    I know the game was all but over but at least he was showing desire. It was bad been outplayed but the lack of desire was worse, heads dropping, nobody throwing in a challenge. Thank god for Pogba coming on and getting stuck in, makes players think twice next time they receive the ball. Who cares if he got a yellow, I would rather see a player giving it his all and getting sent off rather than strolling around the field, giving the ball away.

100% agree. The only criticism anybody could level at Danny Welbeck is about his finishing, which would still be harsh. In his first season with Manchester United as a first team player, his attitude, link-up play and team-work have been absolutely outstanding. He is 21, should he improve his finishing over the next few seasons (and I am confident he will), we will have one of the league's best players on our hands. He is a player I am happy with at present, but truly excited about in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Carrick was the pick of the bunch in the first half. Who was better? He started poorly in the second half i'd agree. I thought he done well because the players he played it to were the ones losing it not him. Rooney must have tried to turn and constantly got dispossessed. Park got the ball, fell over, got the ball fell, over. Cleverley? Did he complete a pass? I did say was TRYING to pick postives.

Trying to pick positives doesn't justify saying things that are completely wrong.

You ask who was better than him - I wouldn't say anybody was particularly better than him (Edit: actually I would say Rooney, Young and DDG played better than him). The fact that other players played badly doesn't mean that he played well, it's not a zero sum game. He played shíte.

Rooney was working off scraps up front on his own, so it's hardly surprising he constantly got dispossessed. Park is shíte, we know that. Cleverley was playing out of position.

Carrick failed to do the job of a central midfielder to the level that we should expect. He did not control the possession in the middle of the pitch. Because he can only play a forward pass when he finds himself in space, it means all his forward passes are going to players who are well covered. That's why he is useless in games like this.

The same goes for Jones, Park, Pogba and to a lesser extent Giggs when playing in the middle.
    Pogba didn't look out of place. What exactly did he do wrong? Both players couldn't get a kick? Maybe we were watching a different game but Pogba was heavily involved before the goal and prodded plenty of balls for fowards from midfield. He got booked but so what? Hard to not be frustrated coming on, with nothing to play for in a side that's getting destroyed.

What exactly did he do wrong? He failed to get on the ball and control possession in the middle of the pitch. Same as Carrick, he always passed it backwards when under pressure. That is not nearly good enough.

I'm watching a replay of the game now and I've just watched through Pogba's entire time on the pitch (fast forwarding through Bilbao's possession).

In the build up to Rooney's goal we had a minute of possession where the ball was moved around and space for Evra to cross was eventually created. Pogba didn't touch the ball once during the whole of that possession. Evra's cross was cleared and fell to Pogba about 35 yards out, he had one defender in front of him, but he had a bit of time, he laid off a simple sideways pass to Park and then made a run towards the side of the 18 yard box. He didn't touch the ball again before Rooney's goal. That is not being heavily involved before the goal.

During his whole time on the pitch he hardly passed any balls forward and I didn't see a single telling ball prodded forward.

I'm not that impressed by Pogba in general, but I wouldn't be looking to criticise the lad after coming on on a night like this and finding it hard. But what you are saying about his performance is completely wrong.
    tvercetti wrote: »
    It was bad been outplayed but the lack of desire was worse, heads dropping, nobody throwing in a challenge. Thank god for Pogba coming on and getting stuck in, makes players think twice next time they receive the ball. Who cares if he got a yellow, I would rather see a player giving it his all and getting sent off rather than strolling around the field, giving the ball away.

That's what happens when you get completely outplayed for 90 minutes (180 if you include last week) and get put under that much pressure. Heads drop - the United players were beaten into submission by the end. You simply cannot compete when you can't control the possession.

Pogba's tackle for the yellow doesn't solve that problem in any way and picking up unnecessary cards through frustration only adds to the problems. It didn't matter in this game, but getting frustrated and picking up silly yellows is not a good attribute for a player to have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

2003 - League Cup final.
    2004 - FA Cup final.
    2005 - FA Cup final.
    2006 - League Cup final.
    2007 - FA Cup final.
    2010 - League Cup final.

i actually came on here to post this :o just goes to show ho poor this season has been and still, we can win the league. only winning the league will save us from our worst season in many many years. one injury to rooney can prevent that.

even if we do win the league, it papers over cracks that show this team, without vidic and rooney and i suppose valencia and de gea, to be very very average, as far as the future is concerned.

had fergie not brought back scholes, the league and season would probably be over, which is sad, as even one CM signing in the summer could have prevented us going out of europe and perhaps we would have the league all buy wrapped up.
    There has been a few of you who have mentioned Mick Phelan contribution in past and saying that he a poor number 2.

More I see him on the bench looking clueless the more I think ye were spot on.

i took an unbelieveable amount of stick at the time for saying that. the lad looks empty to me and the players have no respect for him. our tactics and team selection have got worse and worse over the past 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

had fergie not brought back scholes, the league and season would probably be over, which is sad, as even one CM signing in the summer could have prevented us going out of europe and perhaps we would have the league all buy wrapped up.

While a midfield signing may have sealed the league for us, I don't hink it would have helped in Europe - neither Hazard nor Silva would have prevented that last night, for example. All over the pitch we have been shown to be technically deficient and slow, all season in Europe. We are destroyed by anyone who can play and maintain a full pitch press and any pressure on us causes us to lose possession.

Looking at AC over the two legs - I just have to wonder why we can't either compete with that or play like that? Barca have dicked us twice doing the same, why isn't Fergie learning or adapting?

The team needs a serious kick up the hole and a change of style imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Looking at AC over the two legs - I just have to wonder why we can't either compete with that or play like that? Barca have dicked us twice doing the same, why isn't Fergie learning or adapting?

The team needs a serious kick up the hole and a change of style imo.

i think united focused all their pre season attention on changing style away from home in the league. it has worked superbly, but everything else was neglected.

our performances at old trafford this season, have been borderline awful.

Player ratings link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGt5MFhUbHZ4cy1la1B6WlBCbE44OVE6MQ#gid=0

Not too many high scores I'm thinking....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

if people ignore just how s*ite cleverly was tonight, ill honestly lose all faith in this place.

he was absolutely awful...please tell me ye all saw that and not just granting him a pardon due to his early season performances?

and thats now 9 defeats, with park starting 8 of them. we may as well have been playing with 10 men tonight...again.

He's coming back from a 5 month lay off being played out of position. I'm not hugely going to judge his performances until he's match fit. But like, I don't know what people are expecting from him. I think he looks the part, but we've o nly really seen him for 8 matches. I hope he can maintain it, but Anderson looked just as good early on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

European performances are forged on the training field. In the PremierLeague you can get away with a good bit because for the most part your opposition are technically limited and the big games vacillate between cagey staring matches or adrenaline fueled mayhem.

In Europe you need a system and a style. Take a bow Mike Phelan.

2003 - League Cup final.
    2004 - FA Cup final.
    2005 - FA Cup final.
    2006 - League Cup final.
    2007 - FA Cup final.
    2010 - League Cup final.

Jesus never thought of that.

i took an unbelieveable amount of stick at the time for saying that. the lad looks empty to me and the players have no respect for him. our tactics and team selection have got worse and worse over the past 2 years.

Ya I remember you bringing it up.

I think we need freshen up the assistant team, they just dont seem up to it.

Looking at the post match press conference, I though SAF look almost dazed at times. Personally, I have never seen United so comprehensibly outplayed over two games before. We can only hope good comes from it and hopefully SAF will react accordingly.

What has really hindered this team, is the lost years spent on wasters like Anderson. He has got to be top of the list to go. I asked in January could he last to the end of the season - he lasted two games. I said on his recent return, that he only made it to 2 games on his return in January.

But Christ, I didn't think he would outdo himself and only last one game this time around. Now he is out for 5 weeks with a hamstring, how does he do it? He is an an absolute joke of a player, who has not progressed and has brought nothing to the team except utter rubbish.

I hope that if the League is retained, it doesn't mask over the crack in the foundations. This will be a very big summer for United and if SAF persists with lost causes, then United will only fall further behind the top teams.

Fergie saying our defence cost us this season in europe.

I hope he means it in terms of full team defending and not just the back 4. I'm sure the 4 defenders in both games would admit they could and should have done better but if fergie thinks it was just the actual defence at fault he is very, very wrong. The ease at which the came at our defence and the ease of which runners lost their midfield marker was a massive part of the problem the defenders faced.

Fergie seems seriously blind to the midfield struggles of our side though, so there is a good chance he is just talking about the 4 actual defenders.

I see rumours we are looking at bringing in a creative midfielder in the summer. While I would certainly welcome this and think it is needed, I would also say that won't be the solution to the problems we have seen, not on its own. We need a fairly strong change in the setup and ethos of the squad and style, there are a number of players who should be shipped out and replaced. Park, Evra, Berbatov, Anderson would be the four main ones, with a number of fringe/backups I would also have on the chopping block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Credit to Bearded Genius.

240390035.jpg?key=800833

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I honestly don't know why (but am hugely thankful that) more premier league teams don't press united high up the pitch the way that the continental teams do. Well I guess I do, there is still a certain fear factor that means that lots of teams let united off the hook in the Premier League and sit back, giving our fairly limited midfielders time to pick passes and be difference-makers in most league games.

Unfortunately the decent European teams have no such fears and they all pressure our midfielders, who don't have the close control or ability to turn on them or get a forward pass away in order to exploit the space left further up the field by the press. They either lose possession trying to turn, lose possession trying a scared / rushed pass round the corner to no-one, or pass it back to the centre-back / keeper.

Conversely, for most of the game united did not employ a high-pressing tactic when in defence, maybe because they feared (perhaps correctly)that the Atletic players DID have the technical ability to negotiate their way out of tight spaces and exploit the space left between midfield and defence when United players pressed further forward.

As is stands we have serious deficiencies in midfield from a technical perspective that need to be addressed if we want to be competitive against the best sides in Europe. One can only hope that Ferguson is placing more emphasis on defence publicly in order to protect his limited midfield from too much criticism and extra pressure, rather than actually believing that the midfield is not a problem area. Then again, the same underlying issue has been there for a number of years, so who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

anyone else feel Fergie may call it a day if we win the league this year?

anyone else feel Fergie may call it a day if we win the league this year?

have been saying it for a while.

I think if we win the league, and there is a chance of bringing in Mourinho in the summer, Fergie could move on. He will have halted City's first major title push and will want to go out on a high. Getting the 20th title could be the biggest high he could now bow out on.

I do think that when Fergie goes it will comes as a fairly big surprise. It will simply be announced during the summer that he has gone - with a farewell game at OT in pre-season or something like that. I would be shocked if there was a mid-season announcement like there was in 02. It will be very quiet to limit the disruption/distraction to the club.

What would hold me off on the possibility of Fergie leaving is the timing of the stock float. The Glazers will want that done before Fergie retires imo, as Fergie retiring could have quite a drastic effect on the potential share price the club could generate - due the massive uncertainty regarding the future success of the club. Now, if Fergie says in the summer he is done I don't think the Glazers would stop him at all costs, but I'm certain they be trying to keep him on til the float is eventually done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

You have to wonder what Fergie does be seeing in these games.
    "I thought the first half was even,I thought that we did play well,it was a fantastic end to end game,there was nothing in it really but the goal was a bad one for us to lose"

We were played off the park in both halves,the second was just worse.
    Is he really that blind to our technical limitations when it comes to Europe?

cambo2008 wrote: »

I thought we started ok, 10-30mins was all Bilbao and I thought we did quite well for the last 15 of the first half. Not brilliantly but i'd say it was 50/50.

I was hoping City would actually win last night. I feel dirt for saying it, but was hoping they go on for few more rounds yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    I honestly don't know why (but am hugely thankful that) more premier league teams don't press united high up the pitch the way that the continental teams do.

English players have been bred for nearly a decade to rely on pace, strength and determination. to play a high pressing game you have to be able to retain possession in tiny spaces. Imagine wigan or Stoke or even the likes of Liverpool trying to play a high pressing game. United would win by six or seven.

a high pressing game requires technical nous not found in England. Perhaps Arsenal but even then their passing game has diminished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

cambo2008 wrote: »

I thought we started ok, 10-30mins was all Bilbao and I thought we did quite well for the last 15 of the first half. Not brilliantly but i'd say it was 50/50.
    At no point in the game did we dominate for any reasonable amount of time.
    Bilbao had large periods in both halves,probably most of the second half where they controlled the game.

If being forced back to the defenders and in turn back to De Gea counts as possession and being in the game then maybe we were in the game.
    I personally don't see it that way.

• Advertisement

What amazes me about the High Pressure tactic with Barca and watching Bilbao, is how well them seem to be able to cover for positions where they should be outnumbered.

Having played youth football in England I can tell that the Pressure game was tried to be implemented in England good while ago, but was always shunned away in end.

They might think different now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement