Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

carlcon wrote: »
    Pretty sure taking Nani off in the 60-something'th minute against City was all the rest he needed. I imagine he'll play this week.

So we've given up on Jones then? I can see him starting in CM again. I think Fergie will want to get his confidence up after what has obviously been a tough few games for him.
    Reckon he was taking off just incase he got sent off i hope he plays too .
    5/6 days rest is well enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

i dont remember / probably missed that game , ill take your word for it but i cant see him doing it regularly , if there is one thing <well there probably is just one thing> we arnt short on is wingers

this is in reference to 4 4 2 with wellbeck left mid ,cant find/cant be bothered finding the quote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Don't think people have given up on Jones, just think he needs a rest after a couple of sloppy performances:pac:

Although I'm not sure I buy into a 19 year old needing much rest.

I wouldn't play Ferdinand against Bolton anyway, play Evans alongside Smalling.

de Gea
    Rafael
    Smalling
    Evans
    Evra
    Valencia
    Carrick
    Jones
    Nani
    Rooney

Welbeck

Reckon he was taking off just incase he got sent off i hope he plays too .
    5/6 days rest is well enough

Yep. that's exactly why he was taken off I think, the ref was dying for the opportunity to send one of our players off and Nani seemed most likely to oblige. Was already booked and was still very feisty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

cloptrop wrote: »
    i dont remember / probably missed that game , ill take your word for it but i cant see him doing it regularly , if there is one thing <well there probably is just one thing> we arnt short on is wingers

this is in reference to 4 4 2 with wellbeck left mid ,cant find/cant be bothered finding the quote

can i ask,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, why you dont find the need,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    to post 20 comas like this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, when posting in this tread,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    yet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you wreck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, every other thread
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, in this forum,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, with your,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, nonsence,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Advertisement

redzerdrog wrote: »
    can i ask,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, why you dont find the need,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    to post 20 comas like this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, when posting in this tread,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    yet,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you wreck,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, every other thread
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, in this forum,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, with your,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, nonsence,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    pmsl .,,,,,,,,, probably cause im an arsehole , sorry if i upset you i will try to be nicer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

pmsl .,,,,,,,,, probably cause im an arsehole , sorry if i upset you i will try to be nicer

Nail on head imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

carlcon wrote: »
    Pretty sure taking Nani off in the 60-something'th minute against City was all the rest he needed. I imagine he'll play this week.

So we've given up on Jones then? I can see him starting in CM again. I think Fergie will want to get his confidence up after what has obviously been a tough few games for him.

Yeah man, he is sooooo last week.

Try to keep up, ok?

facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Blatter wrote: »
    Although I'm not sure I buy into a 19 year old needing much rest.

The lad don't play like any 19 year old I know with that driven intensity he has. Aside from fitness levels which I doubt is an issue for him. A rest would undoubtedly benefit him mentally more than anything else.

The lad don't play like any 19 year old I know with that driven intensity he has. Aside from fitness levels which I doubt is an issue for him. A rest would undoubtedly benefit him mentally more than anything else.

I suppose mentally he could do with a rest, lacked concentration at times v City. Who do you play CM then, Carrick and Gibson/Park/Scholes/Rooney? Doubt Giggs will start 3 games on the spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Quandary

Smalling needs to be played at CB against Bolton, whether its with Rio or Evans.

Twill be a tough match but we should be taking all 3 points really.

I wonder will Scholes get 15/20 mins towards the end...

Quandary wrote: »
    Smalling needs to be played at CB against Bolton, whether its with Rio or Evans.

Twill be a tough match but we should be taking all 3 points really.

I wonder will Scholes get 15/20 mins towards the end...
    was thinking that was gonna stick him in my f f team just for sentimental reasons

I suppose mentally he could do with a rest, lacked concentration at times v City. Who do you play CM then, Carrick and Gibson/Park/Scholes/Rooney? Doubt Giggs will start 3 games on the spin.

Unlikely Giggs will start again alright, looking at your earlier selection. I'd replace Jones with Park to start. Then bring on Scholes for the last 30 minutes if some guile is needed.

de Gea
    Rafael
    Smalling
    Evans
    Evra
    Valencia
    Carrick
    Park
    Nani
    Rooney

Welbeck

Unlikely Giggs will start again alright, looking at your earlier selection. I'd replace Jones with Park to start. Then bring on Scholes for the last 30 minutes if some guile is needed.

de Gea
    Rafael
    Smalling
    Evans
    Evra
    Valencia
    Carrick
    Park
    Nani
    Rooney

Welbeck

Totally forgot about Anderson actually, I'd have him in there ahead of Park.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Jaysus lads, I had Ando in my original prediction! I think he's a nailed on starter for Bolton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

anybody who puts park in the middle ever again in their team selections, including fergie, should be beaten with a very hard object.

:mad:

You probably already know how I feel about Ando, but to summaries - I'd select one of my dogs before him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Id like to see

De Gea
    Raf
    Smalling
    Ferdinand
    Evra
    Valencia
    Carrick
    Ando
    Nani---
    Berba

Rooney

Or I guess swap Berba for Welbeck and change positions with Roo

Just wanna see Berba is all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

You probably already know how I feel about Ando, but to summaries - I'd select one of my dogs before him.

and id leave park to eat that dog, before id select him in the team.

anderson s*its all over park in terms of being good enough to play for united.

Can't say I've noticed that you're his biggest fan:p

He WILL play though;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Quandary

I'd say if Ando doesn't push on or at least get some more regular starts over the rest of the season then the writing is on the wall for him in fairness. How's his fitness right now? I thought he looked in good shape just a little rusty which isn't surprising considering how little he has played. Make or break time for him surely now.

anybody who puts park in the middle ever again in their team selections, including fergie, should be beaten with a very hard object.

:mad:

I can blow hot and cold with Park, but at least I see a lad who has made a contribution in his time at united. Indeed he has done it in many a big time game for us.

I'd prefer to give Welbeck a sustained run of games, he was too good against City to drop for Bolton imo. He's full of confidence now, we might as well take advantage of it.

Can't say I've noticed that you're his biggest fan:p

He WILL play though;)

I suspect you will be right, but it is make or break time for him though.

I'd prefer to give Welbeck a sustained run of games, he was too good against City to drop for Bolton imo. He's full of confidence now, we might as well take advantage of it.

Your probably right i guess, whats the story with Hernandez? been a real stop start, well mainly just kinda stop season for him this year, be a real shame if he doesnt get 100% and back firing again this year after such a good campaign last season

I suspect you will be right, but it is make or break time for him though.

This I agree with, it certainly is a make or break season for him I feel, he really has to prove to Fergie he can provide the answer to one of our midfield problems this season. I do believe he is good enough to play for United, I just hope he proves it.

He started the season brilliantly, he has been again hampered badly by injury so hopefully he stays injury free to give himself a proper chance at nailing his place in the team

kryogen wrote: »
    Your probably right i guess, whats the story with Hernandez? been a real stop start, well mainly just kinda stop season for him this year, be a real shame if he doesnt get 100% and back firing again this year after such a good campaign last season

Yep any time he looked like putting a run of form together he got injured, and I suppose having to compete with Welbeck made things even more stop start for him.

He'll have his time again this season, very good option from the bench for the moment anyway.

Now that Ando has dropped the excess weight he should have better luck concerning injuries.

He is a great impact sub to have alright, always get that feeling he is gonna score when he comes on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Interesting article here about Vidic, his loss and some positives arising from it.

http://blogs.thescore.com/footyblog/2011/12/12/cox-loss-of-vidic-could-be-man-uniteds-gain/

The theme is about how defenders compensate for a lack of pace by playing deeper.

The most interesting points are how Ferdinand has been dropping deep for a while and now Vidic has started to do this and the effect on the side if the defence defends deep, then the midfield has to drop deep, then the forwards have to drop deep. A lack of pace in defence leads to a lack of attacking pace.

United concede 0.33 goals per game compared to 1.3 without Vidic (a statistic rather skewed by the concession of six goals in one game against Manchester City, when five of the six came when United only had ten men). No-one looked at it the other way – with Vidic, United score 1.16 goals per game. Without him, they score 3.1 goals per game.

The addition of Smalling and Jones to the squad is also noted as Fergie's realisation of this problem. He needs faster defenders to compliment the likes of Cleverly, Chico and Wellbeck.

The article is wrong tbh. Vidic has always lacked pace and there have been no signs that he has lost any significant amount recently (before the injury).

In the past the system of Vidic stepping up and winning the ball on the front foot with Rio covering in behind covered well for Vidic's lack of pace and allowed him to show his strengths. Vidic has still been the one stepping up this season and Rio and the rest have still been the ones on the cover.

If the defence has played noticeably deeper this season, and I don't think you can confidently make that claim with all the changes and disruption that has gone on, then a more sensible explanation is Rio's slight loss of pace and absences from the team.

As Kryogen says, their use of stats in that article is misleading as well.

He started the season brilliantly, he has been again hampered badly by injury so hopefully he stays injury free to give himself a proper chance at nailing his place in the team

He did have a great run in those couple of games and then bang! it starts again. His form dips and he's away injured as usual. I said at the beginning of the season that he needs to role on and keep it up. But it has been his stop-start-stop-start career at United which has pissed me off. Even if he proves me wrong for the rest of the season, I doubt he will play the full season next year. I just suspect the lad just isn't capable of putting a full season in now at this stage, never mind playing well during it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

hes ****ing shocking with ball at his feet. Great finisher but with the lack of creativity coming behind him lately I can see why he isnt getting started as much.

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    hes ****ing shocking with ball at his feet. Great finisher but with the lack of creativity coming behind him lately I can see why he isnt getting started as much.

He is still developing tbf to him and I know he isnt the best footballer in the team, or forward player, but he is definitely the best poacher and thats a very important skill to have

Im happy to have him used mainly as an impact sub in fact!

Dunno whether he would accept that role though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

So would Park :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

He did have a great run in those couple of games and then bang! it starts again. His form dips and he's away injured as usual. I said at the beginning of the season that he needs to role on and keep it up. But it has been his stop-start-stop-start career at United which has pissed me off. Even if he proves me wrong for the rest of the season, I doubt he will play the full season next year. I just suspect the lad just isn't capable of putting a full season in now at this stage, never mind playing well during it.

I've lost all faith in Anderson. He has plenty of skill and energy, but the guy just does not give a fùck. He hasn't got the hunger and he will always eventually let us down imo. Usually by being too lazy and shirking his defensive responsibility.

Right now we need him. I think he should start at the weekend. But at the end of the season get a proper player in and ship him off to an Italian club. I know he has just lost a load of weight, but I don't believe his attitude has changed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

From the City Thread: Kompany's ban upheld

DB21 wrote: »
    From the City Thread:
    Kompany's ban upheld

Oh no, I was waiting until the 6 o clock news to find out.

No need for the spoiler:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Was the Scholes late registration story a load of custard?

Trilla wrote: »
    Was the Scholes late registration story a load of custard?

It was only twitter scaremongering, load of rubbish. It would have been at the very least mentioned by a reputable source by now if there was even a hint of anything in it.

Oh no, I was waiting until the 6 o clock news to find out.

No need for the spoiler:D

I have literally no idea why I spoiler'd it. Stupid lack of sleep >___________>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

No Kompany or Kolo and Yaya Toure for City for a few games. Hopefully Spurs (minus Adebayor though...) can take advantage in a couple of weeks.

Wouldn't mean anything if we can't win our games though.

J. Marston wrote: »
    No Kompany or Kolo and Yaya Toure for City for a few games. Hopefully Spurs (minus Adebayor though...) can take advantage in a couple of weeks.

Wouldn't mean anything if we can't win our games though.

Adebayor is still at Spurs, Togo didn't qualify.

Can't play against his parent club though, can he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

But he's on loan from City, isn't he? Don't think he can play against them.

Edit: ^ What he said.

Ah yeh, fúck. Step up Jermain Defoe.

Haha, from twitter:

Morally, Vincent Kompany will be playing in Manchester City's next four matches.

J. Marston wrote: »
    But he's on loan from City, isn't he? Don't think he can play against them.

Edit: ^ What he said.
    i thought that was only in cup games but i have absolutely no idea why i think that so am probably wrong

Did he not get an extra match ban for appealing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

How come it was a 4-match ban arent straight reds 3-match bans and a second yellow is a 1-match ban

markc91 wrote: »
    How come it was a 4-match ban arent straight reds 3-match bans and a second yellow is a 1-match ban
    its his second red of the season

its his second red of the season

Correct

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement