Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Pro. F wrote: »
    No that is not a fact. You are assuming that I judge players on who they have played for rather than how good they are.

He came on and bossed the show against City in the Charity Shield game. They are kind of good. He played excellently against WBA and Spurs, both of whom were well organised on the day. And he destroyed Arsenal, but they were shìte tbf. He has played plenty well enough in properly competitive games to show that he is quality.

You don't agree. Assuming that he is not hampered by injury, you will be eating your words soon enough.

I just hope that Fergie brings in a proper all round CM to partner him. It will be a waste if we just rely on Clev to provide all the midfield passing.

West Brom have a terrible home record, and are near the relegation zone.

Spurs were a shambles the first few weeks.

Arsenal were too. He didn't play unreal in any of them matches anyways.

I hope I am eating them but it wouldn't be hard to look good with the players utd have now.

Let's see him play against a good side first before judging. Remember every utd player looked good the first few weeks ;)

Jones has been great and for 19 is unreal. He'll be an unreal player. But at CB this season he's made a lot of mistakes aswell as good things. First mistake I noticed was in the Arsenal game, where instead of heading a cross out for a corner, he headed it out to the side, and left everyone onside and RVP got the 2nd goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Supposedly Gibson is at the Everton training ground and Diouf could be going there on loan!

Even have to throw in a second player to get someone to take Gibson :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Samich wrote: »
    Jones has been great and for 19 is unreal. He'll be an unreal player. But at CB this season he's made a lot of mistakes aswell as good things. First mistake I noticed was in the Arsenal game, where instead of heading a cross out for a corner, he headed it out to the side, and left everyone onside and RVP got the 2nd goal.

He has got to be developed in midfield, I don't think he is naturally cut out for the CB role. He could undoubtedly develop into a midfield engine room for us, if he is allowed to develop in that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

kmart6 wrote: »
    Supposedly Gibson is at the Everton training ground and Diouf could be going there on loan!

Even have to throw in a second player to get someone to take Gibson :pac:

Great move for Diouf if true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Our fixture period up to the Spurs game:

Bolton (H) 14th Jan
    Arsenal (A) 22nd Jan
    Liverpool (A) 28th Jan F.A. Cup
    Stoke (H) 31st Jan
    Chelsea (A) 5th Feb
    Liverpool (H) 11th Feb
    Ajax (A) 16th Feb E.L.
    Ajax (H) 23rd Feb E.L.
    Norwich (A) 26th Feb
    Spurs (A) 3rd March

That's going to be a pretty tough period especially if our injuries keep going the way they are.

Should we beat Liverpool, we will also have a game wedged between those two Ajax games on the 18th/19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

He has got to be developed in midfield, I don't think he is naturally cut out for the CB role. He could undoubtedly develop into a midfield engine room for us, if he is allowed to develop in that area.

I'd agree 100% on this. I love watching him burst forward from midfield like toure does for man city, it seems to get the other players going too. For a cb, he's not the greatest at challenging for headers which would be a big worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Jones is a good talent
    he is extremely overated though

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

the spurs midfield we played against was livermore and krancjar, they created a good amount. West Brom ran through ou midfield loads. Arsenal couldn't defend to save their lives but still walked through our midfield and created lots. Chelsea the same - created loads and our midfield did not stop them.

Cleverley did well enough, and I think his style and pressence improves our forward line. However, you are not looking at the actual performances when you praise the early season games - we were very lucky not to concede a crap load more.

I am looking at the actual performances. That's why I'm saying we need to get in an all rounder CM to partner Cleverly. His main strengths are what he does with the ball, rather than what he does when defending. He will have to work on his defending, but he's probably never going to be able to be fully relied on defensively without a proper defensive player beside him.

In the games he played he was beside the tubby and lazy Brazilian. That combination was never going to be sound defensively. But they were superb with the ball, mostly because of Cleverly himself. We need a proper CM who can defend and is still good on the ball. Then Cleverly can go about the business of becoming the next Scholes.
    carlcon wrote: »
    I really don't see how it's crazy to trust professionals who live the game and are paid top money because they're better candidates than others for judging people, over people who primarily enjoy the sights from their sofa.

Fans can give us a great insight into the behaviour of a player off the pitch, or report injury news before it hits the media, but there are two things fans generally know jack-sh*t about; Tactics & judging potential.

Yeah most fans are idiots. But so are most managers. Given the same time viewing a player I would back my opinion on a player over most managers and coaches. There are just too many clueless ones and too much false talk to be worth bothering with their opinions imo.

Whatever about you trusting other fans' opinions, you have seen him a dozen times yourself. But you are still waiting for other people to tell you whether he is good or not. Watching and discussing football must be very different for you. If you have no faith in your own opinion, then we should expect that every opinion you express on players is just a regurgitation of what some managers have said. That's just odd man.

He hasn't made a lot of mistakes, he's made a few. And that's with coming in and out of an extremely unsettled back four. Give him a run in a settled back four beside the better defenders and he would soon iron out the creases imo. Either way, the dude is still worth lots of hype.

West Brom have a terrible home record, and are near the relegation zone.

Spurs were a shambles the first few weeks.

Arsenal were too. He didn't play unreal in any of them matches anyways.

I hope I am eating them but it wouldn't be hard to look good with the players utd have now.

Let's see him play against a good side first before judging. Remember every utd player looked good the first few weeks ;)

Both Spurs and West Brom were well organised and motivated when they played us. We still moved the ball around better than we have in years. And you are forgetting City.

Cleverly played excellently in all of those matches. You'll realise how good he is eventually.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

MD1990 wrote: »
    Jones is a good talent
    he is extremely overated though

i hate this ****e, name a better 19 year old playing in his position?

over rated my hole.

for his age, he's an exceptional talent.

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    i hate this ****e, name a better 19 year old playing in his position?

over rated my hole.

for his age, he's an exceptional talent.
    Rapheal Varane from Real Madrid
    only 18 played at the Weekend
    Great talent
    Thiago from Barcelona is also a much better midfield player than Jones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Varane has played 3 league games for Madrid, how can you possibly say he's a better talent than Jones?

Great talent

Thiago is a different kind of player entirely. So you can name one player in the world who might be better than Jones. You are proving the point against yourself.

People trying to look clever by adopting a contrarian opinion on Jones are starting to make this thread slippery with drool.

Great talent

fail.

fail.

so much fail.

fail.

fail.

even more fail.

fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Great talent

I think you may have missed his point. Thiago is a midfielder and Varane has only played a handful of times this season (8 according to Wiki).

Thiago is obviously a savage talent.

I'd argue Phil Jones is a better talent than Varane. Regardless, either way he's not overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

How many games have you seen with de rossi in by the way?

He's a defensive midfielder more than an attacking one, better off with carrick and 25 million to spend on someone else. It's a creative player that's needed.

How many games? like for the last 10 years? jesus I dunno man how the **** am I supposed to keep count of that!

Eh, lots? he isnt exactly a new kid on the block you know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ill keep it simple on jones.

the praise at times is justified as he has been super in alot of games, but united fans are overrating him, hugely. he has made alot of mistakes this year most of them as a center half. right now, with everybody fit, he is 5th choice CB.

he was signed as a center back,but he has alot to learn and i think his best days for us have been in CM and especially RB. as a CH, he has been very very average and has cost us alot of goals.

i like the lad alot, his bravery is insane and he is eager, keen and has a great attitude. but he is raw and has along way to go yet to reach the levels that the likes of rio and vidic have reached for united and that is the level required. right now, if it was evans, smalling and jones battling for 2 positions, i would pick smalling and evans 100%.

Rio and jones has been horrible together at times this year, Basle and Newcastle for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

nes battling for 2 positions, i would pick smalling and evans 100%.

Rio and jones has been horrible together at times this year, Basle and Newcastle for example.

That partenership doesn't work for me for one simple reason. Jones is far too eager to run out of defence & forward with the ball leaving Rio on his own at back who no longer has the pase needed to cover Jones when we lose the ball leaving big gaps in the back.

On Jones, i do agree the praise has gone a little OTT this season but we've sweet F-all to shout this season IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

People are seeing his poor displays as a negative thing. This is how you learn!!

He is only bloody 19 years of age! The impatience of some on this forum (and this thread especially) is beyond baffling at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

fail.

fail.

so much fail.

fail.

fail.

even more fail.

fail.

what ever about Varane, id nearly rate Thiago as the top young midfield talent in the world...

he is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

How are people overrating Jones?

Has anyone said he hasn't made some mistakes this season? No

Are there people saying he is currently playing at Paolo Maldini's standards? No

Has he been one of our most consistent performers this season? Yes

Isn't he only 19? Yes

He had a couple of ****e performances at centre back this season, where Rio was no better than him. He showed a lot of promise there earlier on in the season beside Evans. He came through at Blackburn as a centre back and performed magnificently for them there. That's the reason a raft of big clubs were in for him. He'll be a centre back long term.

He's currently a very good player and he will become a great one. I don't get the 'overhyped' or 'overrated' stuff tbh. It's just telling it how it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Obviously a seriously gifted player, what I find strange is that whenever he has played centre back for us he has looked occasionally suspect. At Blackburn he was often much more assured. Probably just getting used to United, and also coming under more scrutiny considering the club he lines out for.

He will only improve, and can't see anything but being the future long term England captain in his future.

He definetly needs a rest though. He will hopefully sit out Bolton.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Where's Keane with his mop to clear up the drool about Cleverley and whether he does or doesn't have it. The boy is the future, end of.

Can't wait til he is fit again and paired with Jones in midfield. It will be better than that south park pic of Dave with berbatov.

That is all

EDIT: actually that's not all. The ****e being spouted about Varane being better than Jones.

Insert picture of Ari Gold screaming get the fûck out. We spent the big money on Jones not Varane when given the choice. And it has proved wise.

Jones has been so good on the pitch he has been unstoppable, even if that requires putting him in a position that's not his first choice. I'd rather have jones up top than not on the pitch at all. While Varane can't get a look in at Madrid.

Figure it our for yourself.

what ever about Varane, id nearly rate Thiago as the top young midfield talent in the world...

he is fantastic.

I can't think of a better Midfield talent at 19 in world football.

West brom and spurs, west brom have one of the worst home records in the league, spurs were a shambles.

West brom and spurs, west brom have one of the worst home records in the league, spurs were a shambles.

Keep banging that drum

Vanbis wrote: »

I'm sure there's people saying that about players in south america.

There more then welcome to give their opinion but until then its Tiago.

he is fantastic.

I never said he wasn't but to say that Thiago can be the only top midfield talent in the world is ridiculous (now implying that you did).

I'd also view Jones as a CB not a midfielder but the point i was making is that there are very few 19year olds playing for a top club. Jones deserves the praise he's getting. He's not the finished article but for his age, and the form he's showing he's showing that he warrants a starting position for one of the best teams in England. Just like Thiago is proving his worth at Barca. I'd also put Ramsey in the same bracket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Gibson signing for Everton tomorrow for 1.5m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

got any names or are you just going to peddle out ambiguous statements all night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

1.5 million!!!!!! christ what a waste of time that was.

fail.

fail.

so much fail.

fail.

fail.

even more fail.

fail.
    well done :rolleyes:

1.5 million!!!!!! christ what a waste of time that was.

not really happy with it tbh. would rather hang onto him til the end of the season and let hi go for nowt if it means having an extra CM available.

Vanbis wrote: »

Jack Wilshere, just turned 20 on Jan 1st.
    Iker Muniain
    Alex Chamberlain (2 years younger)
    Frimpong was great for Arsenal I thought.

• Advertisement

Woohoo!! I'll keep the champers on ice until i see Gibson holding an Everton jersey alongside Moyes.

WBA do have a bad home record, but they were very well organised and hard working that day. Cleverly moved the ball around and cut them open lovely at times. Spurs were not a shambles in that game and we beat them well with some lovely passing.

We're just not going to agree on these types of details. We'll just have to wait and see who is right about Cleverly.

Liam O wrote: »
    got any names or are you just going to peddle out ambiguous statements all night?

That wasn't my point.

Point was you're obviously gonna think the players you see play most often are better.

You probably have seen no south american football, south african football or asian football, so to say there's no better 19 year old midfielder is the same as rating a player using football manager.

not really happy with it tbh. would rather hang onto him til the end of the season and let hi go for nowt if it means having an extra CM available.

We would have got 5 maybe 6 million (pushing it) it last summer not to mention the saving on wages.

We would have got 5 maybe 6 million (pushing it) it last summer not to mention the saving on wages.

yeah **** one.

gl to him anyway, hope he can kick on and fulfill some potential

• Advertisement

Oliver Kay now saying

'Informed that the Darron Gibson fee is in fact a fair bit less than the £1.5m I mentioned earlier'

Sigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

The 1.5m will come in handy for everton because they are broke, am sure thats the reason they agreed to the deal!

Pro. F wrote: »
    Thiago is a different kind of player entirely. So you can name one player in the world who might be better than Jones. You are proving the point against yourself.

People trying to look clever by adopting a contrarian opinion on Jones are starting to make this thread slippery with drool.
    Did i say Thiago & Jones were similar :confused:
    i compared them because Jones has played midfield quite a bit this season & been poor
    i think Jones is a good talent but overated

If it was other way around we be paying 7 million for him.

Im sure if we asked for Rodwell for 5 million they be only delighted to be as generous :rolleyes:.

Christ we must be soft touch these days.

Glad to see back of him though.

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Oliver Kay now saying

'Informed that the Darron Gibson fee is in fact a fair bit less than the £1.5m I mentioned earlier'

Sigh

Maybe we are negotiating for Rodwell and in the process gave them them Gibbo for **** all to sweeten them up.:p

As long as he is off the books and out of the club thats the main thing

Shame we wont actually be getting any proper money for him though, the guy is a full international with plenty of Champions League experience and a couple of premier league winners medals.....

kryogen wrote: »
    As long as he is off the books and out of the club thats the main thing

Shame we wont actually be getting any proper money for him though, the guy is a full international with plenty of Champions League experience and a couple of premier league winners medals.....

But he's terrible.

Did i say Thiago & Jones were similar :confused:
    i compared them because Jones has played midfield quite a bit this season & been poor
    i think Jones is a good talent but overated

What games was Jones poor in midfield in?

Blatter wrote: »
    Maybe we are negotiating for Rodwell and in the process gave them them Gibbo for **** all to sweeten them up.:p

We may have gotten a first refusal as part of the deal :)

But he's terrible.

Wow, you do seem to make sense on one thing. Must feel weird for you :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement