Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

I'd be extremely confident that a midfield trio of Carrick - Jones - Cleverley would be more than sufficient to see off any other team in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Why do people have to be so condescending towards others, only a discussion, not like anyones opinions matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hopefully Jones gets much needed rest this weekend.

It should be good time to give the guy rest, needs it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

kryogen wrote: »
    What games was Jones poor in midfield in?
    Liverpool & in one of the Champions League match's

I'd be extremely confident that a midfield trio of Carrick - Jones - Cleverley would be more than sufficient to see off any other team in the league.

So you wouldn't play hernandez, welbeck, berba or Young/Valencia?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

MD1990 wrote: »
    Did i say Thiago & Jones were similar :confused:
    i compared them because Jones has played midfield quite a bit this season & been poor
    i think Jones is a good talent but overated

Jones has not played in midfield quite a bit.

I don't rate him as a midfielder so to compare him to Thiago is unfair.

Jones is one of the best young defenders in the world. That is not overrating him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Gibson signing for Everton tomorrow for 1.5m

Now I won't know what car insurance to go for :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Samich wrote: »

Nani Rooney Welbeck

Would be my preference if that midfield started

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

We may have gotten a first refusal as part of the deal :)

Other twitter rumours that something has been agreed for Ross Barkley to join in the Summer. Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case, apparently we have been scouting him a good while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In fairness Ferguson's team that day( v Liverpool) was disgrace. Was at the game and even the few experienced players looked bit lost that day.

Nani Rooney Welbeck

Would be my preference if that midfield started

You'd play welbeck as a winger?

Or what would the formation be?

I was referring to tougher sides away from home. Clearly a 3 man central midfield isn't going to be needed against the likes of Wigan.

I'd probably go with Nani, Valencia and Rooney as the attacking trio. As much as I'd like to see Welbeck included, can't see where he would feature in a 1st choice 4-5-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Thought he did well against Liverpool myself tbh, especially considering the team, at times he was very good in that game, just a little bit of inexperience was shown now and then

The CL game will need to be named or I cant comment, and even if for argument sake I accepted he had been poor in those two games, he has been very good in more then 2 games in midfield, including one internationally against Spain, so he has not been poor in midfield by any stretch of the imagination

I was referring to tougher sides away from home. Clearly a 3 man central midfield isn't going to be needed against the likes of Wigan.

I'd probably go with Nani, Valencia and Rooney as the attacking trio. As much as I'd like to see Welbeck included, can't see where he would feature in a 1st choice 4-5-1.

Can Rooney play up front on his own though?

He always comes deep and if he does that there'd be no out ball?

For the record, for me, I'd have Welbeck over Chicharito every day of the week

• Advertisement

You'd play welbeck as a winger?

Or what would the formation be?

4-3-3
    Welbeck has played loads as winger anyway .

They would be switching around

Yes Rooney has quite comprehensively proved he can play as the lone striker.

True, but he has shown capable of that role in 2009-2010 campaign, which was his best in a United shirt.

I think that he would have to start though, although I'd feel bad about seeing Welbeck out of the team. I think he will be world class.

Gibson going for 500k with 1.5 in addons . Bargain there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

Double post

• Advertisement

You sir, talk sense.

You sir, talk sense.

For me that trio is lacking in skill on the ball. Carrick and Jones are both poor on the ball compared to top class central midfielders and you would have two of them in there mucking things up. Cleverly would end up isolated assuming he was at the top of the triangle. And also you would have to drop one of our world class centre forwards. The fact that we have two young world class centre forwards in Welbeck and Chico is a huge asset. Imo we shouldn't be forgoing that just to squeeze in two below standard CMs.

Nani-Cleverly-AN Other-Young
    Rooney
    Cleverly/Welbeck

Switch Nani with Young and bring in Valencia as needed. Pick whichever of Chico or Welbeck, they are both class.

AN Other is some decent CM that can both defend and start attacks that we bring in. There are heaps out there. We should have bought Vidal last summer. Fergie dropped the ball big time on that one.

Personally, I would be aiming for the above to be our first choice team as soon as possible. Imo there is no need to change formation or personnel for the bigger opposition, just be more cautious if necessary. Rooney is better defensively than any other top player in his position so there is no worry there. Cleverly might have a bit to learn defending, but I can't see any reason why he shouldn't be given the chance.

Was it 34 goals including 10 headers the year he played there exclusively?

Switching between lone striker and no. 10/AM doesn't help him get a rhythm/form going.

Pro. F wrote: »
    For me that trio is lacking in skill on the ball. Carrick and Jones are both poor on the ball compared to top class central midfielders and you would have two of them in there mucking things up. Cleverly would end up isolated assuming he was at the top of the triangle. And also you would have to drop one of our world class centre forwards. The fact that we have two young world class centre forwards in Welbeck and Chico is a huge asset. Imo we shouldn't be forgoing that just to squeeze in two below standard CMs.

Nani-Cleverly-AN Other-Young
    Rooney
    Cleverly/Welbeck

Switch Nani and bring in Valencia as needed. Pick whichever of Chico or Welbeck, they are both class.

AN Other is some decent CM that can both defend and start attacks that we bring in. There are heaps out there. We should have bought Vidal last summer. Fergie dropped the ball big time on that one.

Personally, I would be aiming for the above to be our first choice team as soon as possible. Imo there is no need to change formation or personnel for the bigger opposition, just be more cautious if necessary. Rooney is better defensively than any other top player in his position so there is no worry there. Cleverly might have a bit to learn defending, but I can't see any reason why he shouldn't be given the chance.

To be honest I think Carrick is criminally underrated. He is in my mind arguably the most positionally aware midfielder in the league. He is extremely tidy on the ball and if he has to he is capable of controlling a game ( 3 games against Chelsea last season he was different class ).

I think with him sitting back as Fergie wants, you could have Jones doing whatever is needed depending on the situation of the game. A bit of a box to box type. Can easily break forward and can get back and throw in a tackle. Cleverley would push slightly further forward, being the link between the midfield and attack more than the other two, but the other two will still be integral to the buildup.

Carrick is a must start for me.

Rooney can definitely play up front on his own. But the season he scored so many, he was usually playing in the 4411 up top, not on his own like in a 433.

Dropping both Welbeck and Chico is a sin. There just isn't any need for Rooney to be up front on his own. And the front line is much much quicker with Welbeck or Chico in there.

To be honest I think Carrick is criminally underrated. He is in my mind arguably the most positionally aware midfielder in the league. He is extremely tidy on the ball and if he has to he is capable of controlling a game ( 3 games against Chelsea last season he was different class ).

I think with him sitting back as Fergie wants, you could have Jones doing whatever is needed depending on the situation of the game. A bit of a box to box type. Can easily break forward and can get back and throw in a tackle. Cleverley would push slightly further forward, being the link between the midfield and attack more than the other two, but the other two will still be integral to the buildup.

Carrick is a must start for me.

Carrick has a manky first touch. There is just no way you can argue that is not the case. He is not tidy on the ball and he has proved countless times that he can not control the game.

Jones is a slight improvement, but still miles behind the standard of a top European team in terms of skill on the ball for CM.

We lost the midfield battle in all those games against Chelsea by the way.

Rooney can definitely play up front on his own. But the season he scored so many, he was usually playing in the 4411 up top, not on his own like in a 433.

Dropping both Welbeck and Chico is a sin. There just isn't any need for Rooney to be up front on his own. And the side front line is much much quicker with Welbeck or Chico in there.

Well when Arsenal will go with the 3 man central midfield, aswell as Liverpool, Man City, Tottenham ( I know Van der Vaart plays just off Ade but he still is a midfielder) and Chelsea, I'd say we are asking for trouble if we go with two in the centre.

Carrick has a manky first touch. There is just no way you can argue that is not the case. He is not tidy on the ball and he has proved countless times that he can not control the game.

Jones is a slight improvement, but still miles behind the standard of a top European team in terms of skill on the ball for CM.

We lost the midfield battle in all those games against Chelsea by the way.

There is absolutely no way that we lost the midfield battle in the two champions league games against Chelsea as well as the league home game, I don't know how you could make that statement really.

I would argue about Carricks first touch. The problem most have is that he can be poor when he is put under lots of pressure but that has more to do with distribution rather than first touch.

Strong rumour doing the rounds that the club are letting Morrison go because he is found to have violated his probation.

• Advertisement

Blatter wrote: »
    Strong rumour doing the rounds that the club are letting Morrison go because he is found to have violated his probation.

He actually needs a slap. I hope he doesn't look back on his (potential) football career full of regrets over his stupidity as a youngster.

If he has violated his parole his United career is over anyway.

Hope not for his sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

whats he on probation for?

Blatter wrote: »

Something to do with firearms ? No one is really saying at the moment

cloptrop wrote: »
    whats he on probation for?

Witness intimidation I think .

He actually needs a slap. I hope he doesn't look back on his (potential) football career full of regrets over his stupidity as a youngster.

If he has violated his parole his United career is over anyway.

Hope not for his sake

And what's more, apparently it's not the first time he's done it.
    Something to do with firearms ? No one is really saying at the moment

Have no idea. Lots of the United lads on twitter are keeping it quiet as it's not *confirmed* yet.

I heard the probation thing from a guy with over 1,000 followers, and doesn't usually talk a lot of rubbish. He said it was still only a rumour though, but it looks to be a strong one.

It would definitely make sense if the rumour was violating his probation though. It'll probably explode on twitter within the next hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Plenty of talk that the Gibbo deal is so cheap because we may have some possible deal with Everton for Rodwell or Barkley. Not to pushed on Rodwell tbh and I haven't seen enough of Barkley (although he is apparently really promising) to be able to properly judge him but it'll be interesting to see if any of it is true.

assaulting his girlfriend some papers arer saying

The witness intimidation thing was when he was 17, he served a 12 month referral order for that one, the assault case last year was dropped. This one is apparently to do with firearms

• Advertisement

Again, that was last year, charges were dropped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Henry Winter is posting a lot about it on Twitter at the moment. From the looks of it he knows what has happened. It seems to be only a matter of when the story breaks at this stage.

It really is sad to see a chap potentially waste a talent. I know that if I was in position I would give up everything to play for United. I'd become a Buddhist monk and live on island it it meant that one day I'd have the chance to run out in front of 70,000 of the best fans in the world and play for the best team in the best stadium.

Unfortunately in 10 years I can see a George Best "where did it all go wrong?" moment happening with young Morrison.

Henry Winter is posting a lot about it on Twitter at the moment. From the looks of it he knows what has happened. It seems to be only a matter of when the story breaks at this stage.

It really is sad to see a chap potentially waste a talent. I know that if I was in position I would give up everything to play for United. I'd become a Buddhist monk and live on island it it meant that one day I'd have the chance to run out in front of 70,000 of the best fans in the world and play for the best team in the best stadium.

Unfortunately in 10 years I can see a George Best "where did it all go wrong?" moment happening with young Morrison.

Na the thing is, if Morrison does end up blowing his chance it will be worse, in 10 years time nobody will mention or remember him at all

a past player of ours that looks a bit like the hunchback of notredame has had the two milan clubs pull out of signing him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Na the thing is, if Morrison does end up blowing his chance it will be worse, in 10 years time nobody will mention or remember him at all

Actually yea that would be worse. It's awful to hear about it really. He'll drop way down the leagues if the rumours are true. No top club will want to touch him.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

old news, and not true.
    a past player of ours that looks a bit like the hunchback of notredame has had the two milan clubs pull out of signing him

wow.

i look forward to more of your enticing posts.

• Advertisement

Have Inter deffo pulled out too?

You never know with Milan, they are great at manipulating transfers, wouldnt be surprised if this was just media talk to try to get City to agree to their terms

Gonna be tough to see where he goes if they both opt out, PSG are the only option left I guess

Would Chelsea be interested? Probably not after getting burned by Torres but you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Nothing 'sad' about it lads, it's not like he has a disease, or has suffered an injury or anything. If he doesn't make it, it's cause he's too much of a scumbag. Simple. He's not some tragic victim here.

Have Inter deffo pulled out too?

You never know with Milan, they are great at manipulating transfers, wouldnt be surprised if this was just media talk to try to get City to agree to their terms

Gonna be tough to see where he goes if they both opt out, PSG are the only option left I guess

Would Chelsea be interested? Probably not after getting burned by Torres but you never know.

He's off to QPR kry! Dontcha know!!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Nothing 'sad' about it lads, it's not like he has a disease, or has suffered an injury or anything. If he doesn't make it, it's cause he's too much of a scumbag. Simple. He's not some tragic victim here.

Ah yes, a firm believer in that social problems aren't real, i see?

Although if anyone was to be able to spot a victim, it'd be yourself.

lordgoat wrote: »
    He's off to QPR kry! Dontcha know!!
    both have said they are pulling out , patos transfer to psg failed so they dont need him and other club say they dont want him now, id say its just trying to whittle down the fee,
    he could end up going to psg though

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement