Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I was wondering what players in what positions united would need to be back on par with Real Madrid? its not really possible to do it with barca because there so good and would probably beat any world 11 of your choosing that dont involve barca players, but real madrid have just gone above us again in recent seasons, 2 or 3 years ago we were better than them, would the addition of 2 world class central midfielders be all thats needed to match them?

For example would this do

Deagea or Lindegaard

Rafael or Jones-Smalling
    Vidic
    Evra

Valencia----Martinez
    Modric
    Nani

Rooney

Hernandez or Welbeck

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Blatter wrote: »
    I already discussed it in the LFC thread. From what I gather, Warrior paid a premium to get into the market - hence the big increase in the value of the sponsorship.

Our next kit manufacturer sponsorship will almost certainly be an increase on the current deal too.

Well I wasn't going in there about it, and was looking for our fans opinions!
    United have step ups in what they are paid by Nike since 2011 it's been 25.4m so United still earn the most.

But no doubt this will give us a stronger hand when it comes to negotiating our next deal!
    Samich wrote: »
    How much would sponsors actually lose out on if they didn't sponsor Utd, you'd think it'd be hard enough to make up, what, 20 million a year just from people seeing the company on the Utd shirts?

Depends on the sponsor really, weren't AON only taking off when they agreed the deal with us? That's looking for a quick high level of exposure! Compare that to the Qutar Foundation with Barca...that's just cause they can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

kmart6 wrote: »
    Well I wasn't going in there about it, and was looking for our fans opinions!

Of course. I wasn't having a go at you for posting it here, sorry if it came across that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,460 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

So signing 2 world class midfielders is transfer muppetry

The idea that United are going to break the club transfer record twice on central midfielders is transfer muppetry, yes.

No your grand, didn't fancy having to listen to 'we deserve it and are worth it'!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Newsthump website
    Manchester City Manager Roberto Mancini has defended his recent card waving antics by insisting the card he was waving in last night’s 1-0 victory over Wigan Athletic was clearly a yellow and not a red.

Mancini has come under criticism for gesturing at referees to send players off, but he insists that he was gesticulating for a caution rather than for the player to be dismissed.

“I would never use an imaginary red card to influence the referees decision,” he said.

“If people want to imagine that I’m imagining red cards then that is up to them, but if they look more closely at my imaginary card then they will see that it is clearly a yellow card that I’m imagining.”

Mancini waves card
    Wayne Rooney hit out at Mancini’s claims and called for the FA to confiscate the former Internazionale and Lazio manager’s stash of imaginary red cards.

“Something needs to be done!” he fumed in one tweet. “I don’t see why the FA can’t stop him taking his imaginary cards into the technical area.”

“The only way to deal with it is for the fourth official to check Mancini’s pockets before the game starts.”

The FA has confirmed that it will study the footage to try and ascertain whether Mancini’s claims that he is brandishing an imaginary yellow card, and not a red, are credible.

“If we feel that Roberto Mancini is holding an imaginary red card then we will have no alternative but to hand out the sort of imaginary punishment that we usually reserve for Sir Alex Ferguson,” revealed an FA spokesman.

If somebody finds it not funny please dont waste your time telling me its not funny ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

that is not funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

Liam O wrote: »
    What irks me is that people think they have an insight into a players motivation because of a story in a newspaper. It's like that thread last night calling Pepe a vile human being despite the fact not one person in the thread had ever met him and were judging his personality on how he plays football.

I did not call him that. I called him using the term footballer in the thread title. I do not know what he is like outside of football so wouldn't comment.

Edit:-Actually might have used human being in the OP (What I said is below, apologies for that)
    Just a disgusting human being.

which was a mistake on my part but thread title was pretty accurate IMO

Also don't act so high and mighty when I can guarantee you have judged someone the exact same way as most of us do without knowing the whole story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

He's covered under the 'etc.' but he's also a 'maybe'. His future at the club is uncertain in comparison to the others I named.

You are being much to nice there imo. He has had five seasons, now imagine given Welbeck, De Gea, Chico, Cleverely et al, five seasons under their belts? I certainly couldn't see them disappointing us the way he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

According to the transfer thread,Honda is heading to Lazio for €12 million.

That knocks the United link on the head so.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    According to the transfer thread,Honda is heading to Lazio for €12 million.

That knocks the United link on the head so.

How about his brother............Honda 50?

* Gets coat *

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

* Gets coat *

OH GOD :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭parc

Who'd want to live in Manchester unless they were paid silly money?

Manchester's a great spot

If your south american or Spanish though, I'm sure you'd rather be in Sunny Madrid or Barcelona

* Gets coat *
    Thats not funny
    Gawd it feels good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Anyone see De Gea supposedly needs eye surgery :)

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Source: The Guardian

Manchester United's error-prone David de Gea may need eye surgery

• Goalkeeper is long-sighted and plays in contact lenses
    • Spaniard has lost first-team place after string of mistakes

Daniel Taylor
    guardian.co.uk, Thursday 19 January 2012 22.45 GMT

David de Gea was bought for £18.3m by Manchester United last summer as a replacement for Edwin van der Sar. Photograph: Andrew Yates/AFP/Getty Images

David de Gea's erratic first season at Manchester United has taken place with the talented but error-prone goalkeeper suffering from an eyesight problem that may necessitate laser surgery at the end of the season.

De Gea, dropped from United's past three matches after making a succession of mistakes, is long-sighted and plays in contact lenses. United employ a full-time optometrist, based at their training ground, and the Spaniard has been recommended for treatment to restore his sight to normal as he tries to cut out the mistakes that have cost him his place as Sir Alex Ferguson's first-choice goalkeeper.

Having worn glasses for most of his life, De Gea was going to have laser surgery last March when he was at Atlético Madrid. At the time, however, the Atlético medical staff told him to wait at least another year because he needed a stable prescription.

United were aware of the issue when they signed him for £18.3m in the summer. De Gea has had regular check-ups since replacing Edwin van der Sar and held off the challenge of Anders Lindegaard until one mistake too many in the 3-2 home defeat against Blackburn Rovers on New Year's Eve.

De Gea has been at fault, to different degrees, for as many as six to nine goals in his first five months in the team and, though there have been times when his goalkeeping has been exceptional, his first season in England has been a difficult one. Whether there is any link to his vision is not clear, but wearers of contact lenses often find their eyesight is strained when watching football under artificial light, and the priority at Old Trafford is to make sure it is not even potentially a factor.

United still have high aspirations that De Gea, at 21, can demonstrate he was worth the money and become a great goalkeeper for the club.

The hope is that he can be booked in for laser treatment in June, when he could take advantage of the summer break to have the four-day period of rest that is advised. He is then expected to be selected for Spain's Olympics squad if, as expected, he misses out on Euro 2012 behind Iker Casillas, José Reina and Victor Valdés.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

We bought a blind goalkeeper!

We should by de jong and let de gea use him as his dog.

Oh FFS, he'll be getting a fairly run of the mill eye surgery and it's going to be blown out out proportion completely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kmart6 wrote: »
    What do people think of Liverpool getting more money per season from a kit manufacturer than us?

Now I know it's all been with the help of Fenway! But says a lot when Addidas don't think your worth it!

I already discussed it in the LFC thread. From what I gather, Warrior paid a premium to get into the market - hence the big increase in the value of the sponsorship.

Our next kit manufacturer sponsorship will almost certainly be an increase on the current deal too.
    They are not getting more than us. The Nike deal increased over time, it was 26 or 27million last year IIRC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Reminds me when Harchester United bought Luke Davenport and he goes blind :eek:

IvySlayer wrote: »
    pmsl,,,,,,,,,,,, best post of the day man , you just took me back to sunday mornings and waiting to go play a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

A dodgy 'keeper could not have a more apt story written.

It's obviously a nothing-story in reality, but funny none the less!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

IvySlayer wrote: »

I read this, thought "oh yeah I remember that", then a half a second later I was like "hold on a minute, that's a fake team!"

Reminded me of this...

:D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Please please please wear an eye patch

Would definitely beat Cech for the worst look in the PL then!

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    OH GOD :rolleyes:

It was an irresistible bad joke, so roll your eyes elsewhere.
    cloptrop wrote: »
    Thats not funny
    Gawd it feels good.

You need to get over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Why the hell do United have a FULL TIME optometrist at the club? Surely there can't be enough work to keep him busy.

You are being much to nice there imo. He has had five seasons, now imagine given Welbeck, De Gea, Chico, Cleverely et al, five seasons under their belts? I certainly couldn't see them disappointing us the way he has.

I don't blame anyone that has fully lost patience with Anderson, but I'm (generously) still going to be open to the possibility of him coming good. He has until the end of the season to make an good, consistent impression otherwise I'll never hold out hope for him again.
    kraggy wrote: »
    Why the hell do United have a FULL TIME optometrist at the club? Surely there can't be enough work to keep him busy.

I assume football players at top clubs would get their eyes checked more regularly than the average footballer/person. I'd say between the first team, the reserves and the youths, (s)he'd have enough check ups and issues to deal with to keep busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness launches attack on Glazer family motives of owning Manchester United
    Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness has delivered a damning criticism of Manchester United’s owners, the Glazer family, by claiming it is unacceptable for the Americans to have plunged the club into debt.

glazer-family_gi_2114550b.jpg

Hoeness, a powerful figure within European football, is the most high-profile name to question the running of Manchester United under the Glazers, who completed their leveraged takeover of the club in May 2005.

Having borrowed £540 million to complete the buy-out of United seven years ago, the Glazers subsequently loaded the debt on to the club, who continue to pay in excess of £40 million-a-year on interest payments.

Although United’s annual commercial earnings have more than doubled under the Glazers, the club remains in debt to the tune of £433 million.

And Hoeness has hit out at the Florida-based family, claiming their only motivation for buying United was financial gain.

Speaking to Bloomberg, Hoeness said: “Before Mr Glazer bought Manchester United, he didn’t know there was air in the ball. That’s not something that I accept. His target is making money.

“I would accept Mr Glazer immediately if he says ‘OK, the price of Manchester United is £800 million. "That’s my money, my risk and now we are working.’

"But what did he do? He bought the club and said ‘OK, I don’t have the money.

"How can we finance it?’ That’s something that I never accept.”

In response to Hoeness’s comments, a United spokesman said: “Mr Hoeness has a right to an opinion, but results over the last seven years speak for themselves and Manchester United is in a healthy position, both on and off the pitch.

“The Glazer family have been integral in boosting of the club’s revenues, which have seen Manchester United become world leaders in the breadth and depth of our commercial partnerships.”

While insisting that they have no intention of selling the club the Glazers are aiming to raise £600 million from a partial float of United on the Singapore Stock Exchange.

Plans for the float to take place before the end of 2011 failed to materialise due to the volatile nature of the financial market and it is now unlikely to happen until mid-2012 at the earliest.

Despite the delay in launching the Initial Public Offering, United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has been told that money is available for new players this transfer window.

But so far this month, the only addition to United’s squad has been Paul Scholes following his retirement about-turn, with the club’s wage bill being reduced by the £1 million sale of Darron Gibson to Everton and loaning of Federico Macheda and Joshua King to Queens Park Rangers and Hull respectively.

The Glazers’ attempt to raise new funds to drive down the club’s debt has been partly instigated by the rise of Manchester City, whose financial power in the transfer market under the ownership of Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al Nahyan has transformed the club.

Hoeness has warned, however, that clubs such as Manchester City and Chelsea, owned by Roman Abramovich, cannot rely solely on the funds of one individual.

He added: “In this moment, will he [the wealthy owner] one day say now I go on my ships and I buy pictures and so on? But if you say which option [Glazers or benefactor], you want to have I would say I take the guy from Abu Dhabi.”

With Bayern positioned as vociferous advocates of Uefa’s Financial Fair Play regulations, which could see clubs barred from Champions League participation if they fail to reduce losses and adhere to the financial strictures by 2015, the German club's chief executive, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge insists that Europe’s governing body must get tough with those who ignore the rules.

Rummenigge said: “It’s time to finalise everything because clubs must know what is happening in case they break the rules.”

The independent is saying that United have (or had) offered Ravel Morrison a 12k p/w contract and that his demands are 30k p/w! No wonder they are looking to sell him or deeming his demands unrealistic. 30k for a kid who hasn't actually done anything yet? I could support him getting a better than average contract for a player at his stage, but getting a contract worth twice what Welbeck was and still is on? I can't see United giving in on this, Ravel has to come down a long way or he is clearly gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the probloem is though, kids his age are getting wages of 20k and 30k. and im not talking about the likes of jones, smalling and that generation, im talking about players who have rarely played, if ever, for the first team.

theres a certain irish lad, never appeared for his clubs first team, he is not even that good and he is thought to be on 20k a week.

the football wage structure is absolute madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

theres a certain irish lad, never appeared for his clubs first team, he is not even that good and he is thought to be on 20k a week.

Who?

The independent is saying that United have (or had) offered Ravel Morrison a 12k p/w contract and that his demands are 30k p/w! No wonder they are looking to sell him or deeming his demands unrealistic. 30k for a kid who hasn't actually done anything yet? I could support him getting a better than average contract for a player at his stage, but getting a contract worth twice what Welbeck was and still is on? I can't see United giving in on this, Ravel has to come down a long way or he is clearly gone.

*He has some cheek to be looking for that much money, who the **** does he think he is? He's done nothing of note in the first team to warrant that kind of pay.

*Just to piss off Keane:p

the probloem is though, kids his age are getting wages of 20k and 30k. and im not talking about the likes of jones, smalling and that generation, im talking about players who have rarely played, if ever, for the first team.

the football wage structure is absolute madness.

I think Frisbee was saying the other day that she heard that Jay Emanuael Thomas was on 40k p/w at Arsenal! Crazy money for a kid that has done nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

I think Frisbee was saying the other day that she heard that Jay Emanuael Thomas was on 40k p/w at Arsenal! Crazy money for a kid that has done nothing.

I think that is the typical Arsenal wage model in order to secure the best youngsters from around the globe. Of course, thats a huge advantage when other big clubs are in for a young french player and you are offering him probably twice (if not three times) what the other clubs are offering. Pair that with Arsenal's reputation for bringing youngsters into the first team on a regular basis and they have a real headstart.

Of course, it has two massive disadvantages...
    • When the "youth" player finally becomes a foundation of the first team the wages increase isn't that significant, no matter what the level of performance. Arsenal do have a rigid wage structure which probably does not exceed £80,000 per week. So when that big team finally does come calling (e.g. Flamini to AC Milan) then the possible wages are of course very attractive.
    • Not every young player will be first team material and when it comes to the time to ship them out from the club, not many suitors will pay the higher rate of wages they were on (e.g. Wenger trying to sell Bendtner, only to finally loan him to Sunderland who I doubt are paying 100% of his weekly wage)
    All in all, its not a great system that they have in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Anyone think Fergie will not play Evra in the cup game? Personally think he will play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

If true, that is absolutely ridiculous, but have heard similar stories about Arsenal and how much they pay the young players before

Anyone think Fergie will not play Evra in the cup game? Personally think he will play

On one hand I say yes, because I think Fergie will want to put this whole thing to bed and the sooner he plays against Liverpool and gets his abuse then the quicker we can get back to business. Then again, the Liverpool fans will want to stretch this out for awhile, being the victims...a role they have played to a tee throughout their history.

On another hand, he might not. I'm thinking of the Rooney dropped for the Everton games.

Evra is a different sort to Rooney though. Not as hot headed and confident enough to get on with the job.

Sir Alex confirms Smalling and Jones should be available but Anderson is set to miss out

• Advertisement

Sir Alex confirms Smalling and Jones should be available but Anderson is set to miss out

Scholes in then? I'm kind of hoping not to be honest, maybe a late appearance to keep possession.

---Valencia---Carrick---Jones---Nani---

Maybe that line-up in midfield?

Scholes in then? I'm kind of hoping not to be honest, maybe a late appearance to keep possession.

---Valencia---Carrick---Jones---Nani---

Maybe that line-up in midfield?

Not a chance Scholes will start imo.

The midfield will be as above with possibly Giggs in for Jones.

SAF wouldn't answer Qs about De Gea needing laser eye surgery or Morrison's contract. Said there were "no problems" re Welbeck's future

He also confirmed that Cleverley and Young have been doing some running and should be back soon.

Unbelievable really isn't it. It's a bit like an army recruit asking to be promoted to Colonel. When he hasn't even made it to Private, or even made it out of the parade ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

RavelMorrison49 Ravel Ryan Morrison
    Never asked for 30k 50k 20k never refused 12k were do people get all this from
    3 minutes ago

Christ, I know I predicted he wouldn't make it to the end of the season without some more time on the Physio bench. But two games back and then he was out again? It's long gone past being a joke any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Id rather see Jones in midfield than Giggs.

Really irks me that United have to rely on not one, but too 36+ players to run midfield.

Jones and Carrick is a decent enough combo.

I'd leave Giggs and Scholes on the bench unless Arsenal park the bus and United need a final killer ball.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

It will be another huge boost to get Cleverley and Young back fit.

They played a huge part in the quality attacking football we saw at the start of the season.

fingers crossed they stay can stay fit this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

RVD420 wrote: »
    RavelMorrison49 Ravel Ryan Morrison
    Never asked for 30k 50k 20k never refused 12k were do people get all this from
    3 minutes ago

Every day we have a new rumor and Ravel dismissing it straight away. I for one believe he will sign and will be a big star for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

On one hand I say yes, because I think Fergie will want to put this whole thing to bed and the sooner he plays against Liverpool and gets his abuse then the quicker we can get back to business. Then again, the Liverpool fans will want to stretch this out for awhile, being the victims...a role they have played to a tee throughout their history.

On another hand, he might not. I'm thinking of the Rooney dropped for the Everton games.

Evra is a different sort to Rooney though. Not as hot headed and confident enough to get on with the job.

I think Evra has the calmness to play, I think Fergie would see resting him as giving in and sending the wrong meaasge

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement