Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If Rooney, Carrick and Nani are fit then I'd be confident, but if even 2 of them are out then I can't see us winning tbh, Liverpool are guaranteed to have the game of their season against us.

I'd be hoping to see something like...
    Rafael Smalling Evans Evra
    Carrick
    Scholes - Rooney
    Val
    Nani
    Welbeck

Would love if Cleverley gets a run out. I just hope Fergie doesn't rush him back and start him, which is possible if Carrick, Nani & Rooney are out. But if so I'd want Park in for Nani, Cleverley in for Scholes and who the **** knows who'd replace Carrick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

MM, dropping Giggs to play Scholes in the middle with Rooney?

What the holy hell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

That's the problem, the midfield players on the bench may just be Cleverley and Pogba - worst case scenario. If there was anyone else fit, I'd be insistent that they start ahead of Scholes.

Cleverley hasn't played any football in around 3 months so I don't see him starting the game and whilst I wouldn't be totally against it, I don't see SAF starting Pogba at Anfield either.

Des wrote: »
    MM, dropping Giggs to play Scholes in the middle with Rooney?

What the holy hell?
    Only because he started at the weekend but I suppose there is a long enough break between matches.

Blatter wrote: »
    I don't see SAF starting Pogba at Anfield either.
    Nothing would surprise me, we're due a few more ''wtf'' moments with starting line ups this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I'd give Fabio a chance as part of a 3 man midfield. He has the ability but would be a bit lightweight as part of a 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

With all the talk of teams for Saturday, we simply have to remember that we have a load of injuries and a poor midfield depth to begin with. Carrick, Giggs and Scholes are the only recognised central players that are supposed to be fit for it. Carrick was carrying a hamstring injury through the second half vs Arsenal, according to Fergie, and given he is an absolutely key player for us I actually think it would be irresponsible to play him vs Liverpool, which leaves us with Scholes and Giggs - a duo that absolutely should not play together in the centre.

The team we play vs Liverpool is going to be mental - like the FA Cup game vs Arsenal last season, but perhaps more so!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Any return date for Anderson?

With all the talk of teams for Saturday, we simply have to remember that we have a load of injuries and a poor midfield depth to begin with. Carrick, Giggs and Scholes are the only recognised central players that are supposed to be fit for it. Carrick was carrying a hamstring injury through the second half vs Arsenal, according to Fergie, and given he is an absolutely key player for us I actually think it would be irresponsible to play him vs Liverpool, which leaves us with Scholes and Giggs - a duo that absolutely should not play together in the centre.

The team we play vs Liverpool is going to be mental - like the FA Cup game vs Arsenal last season, but perhaps more so!

I think we'll put out pretty much the best team available - whatever that may be! There's a good chance that most of our supposed 'doubts' will be fit, or at least some of them, as we all know how SAF likes to bluff.

I think the team that he puts out against Stoke a few days later could be the mental one.

I think we'll put out pretty much the best team available - whatever that may be! There's a good chance that most of our supposed 'doubts' will be fit, or at least some of them, as we all know how SAF likes to bluff.

I think the team that he puts out against Stoke a few days later could be the mental one.

I just don't see it to be honest.

I don't see Fergie risking league points, and I would not want him to either. The only reason for him to play a full team (or as much as possible) would be because it is Liverpool, which is tribalism gone mad imo.

If Fergie is going to rest players in one of those games, it has to be the Liverpool game imo - the league points are far more important.

• Advertisement

I just don't see it to be honest.

I don't see Fergie risking league points, and I would not want him to either. The only reason for him to play a full team (or as much as possible) would be because it is Liverpool, which is tribalism gone mad imo.

If Fergie is going to rest players in one of those games, it has to be the Liverpool game imo - the league points are far more important.

Depends what way you are to look at it.

If we beat Liverpool, we'll have a great chance of winning the FA cup - which would be nice to do if City go on to win the league (which we have to concede that they are fairly strong favorites to do so at this stage)

And then look at Stoke's away record against big sides - it's fairly poor it has to be said.

Or else we could do what you're suggesting and put most of our eggs in the league basket, which I wouldn't be really in favour of tbh.

V Liverpool (if those players are fit)

Lindegaard
    Rafael
    Smalling
    Evans
    Evra
    Valencia
    Giggs
    Carrick
    Park
    Rooney

Welbeck

V Stoke

de Gea
    Rafael
    Smalling(Ferdinand)
    Evans----Fabio
    Valencia
    Anderson/Scholes
    Cleverley
    Park/Young
    Berbatov

Hernandez

Something like that should be strong enough to win both games. All very much depends on the fitness of players though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

At least part of the reason Wootton left Peterborough was because he wasn't getting enough games there, according to Darren Ferguson, who said it was a joint decision.

And of course they expect us to believe it has nothing to do with our Omaha Beach level of injuries.

And of course they expect us to believe it has nothing to do with our Omaha Beach level of injuries.

It will be interesting to see if he makes the bench in the next few weeks.

According to the papers this morning, the consensus is that Nani and Ferdinand will probably miss the Liverpool game [Independent]

Rooney and Carrick are expected to be okay [Telegraph & Independent]

Jones is in contention to be fit as ankle problem is thought to be nowhere near as problematic as first feared [Independent]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Unexpected news that a swap deal involving Van Persie and a Real Madrid player could be on the cards. Didn't yet read the article in The Times, but did see the tweet from Brian Laws last night.

I imagine it would be Benzema that Wenger would target, though I think the infinitely more talented Higuain would be a better fit.

Do you think United should be sticking the oar in here and trying to get the Dutchman? He obviously likes playing in England, never seemed like one for the Milan/Barcelona lifestyle ala Fabregas and is looking for one last move to try and bulk up the trophy cabinet.

Would £35m+ I would imagine to get him, but would be some combination with Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Yeah why don't we just sign Van Persie? EZ game.

If Van Persie moves, it will be abroad. Not in a million years will it be to United. Arsenal will not allow him to go to us.

We don't need any more strikers, midfield is to be looked at, and will be added to this summer. I'm still not sure who I'd want it to be. Gotze or Modric for playmaking come to mind, we need someone in the mold of Fletcher too.

Unexpected news that a swap deal involving Van Persie and a Real Madrid player could be on the cards. Didn't yet read the article in The Times, but did see the tweet from Brian Laws last night.

I imagine it would be Benzema that Wenger would target, though I think the infinitely more talented Higuain would be a better fit.

Do you think United should be sticking the oar in here and trying to get the Dutchman? He obviously likes playing in England, never seemed like one for the Milan/Barcelona lifestyle ala Fabregas and is looking for one last move to try and bulk up the trophy cabinet.

Would £35m+ I would imagine to get him, but would be some combination with Rooney.

Unless he becomes a world class CM overnight, otherwise we don't need him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I agree with the above, I just can't see Van Persie going to another English club. That said, I'd be shocked if he was still at Arsenal in August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Yeah I think we should sign him, the doctor must be lonely now that hargreaves is gone.

Unless he becomes a world class CM overnight, otherwise we don't need him.

Of course we don't need him, I'm merely tasting the sweet nectar of speculation :D

But for talks sake if Berbatov leaves in the January or summer window, we are left with Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez and Diouf. Hardly setting the world on fire, and not exactly what I would like to be attacking the league with an improved Manchester City and Champions League with next year. We doing ok, but I would like to see Rooney paired with an experienced striker, then Hernandez and Welbeck as third and fourth choices. Four quality strikers, safe on the wings, back line a little thin but promising.

Obviously I totally agree about the midfield, just can't see why we can't make a huge improvement up front and buy two promising players in the middle as I can't see too many experienced players around to come in and do a job.

Goetze is the sort of player that will move on to Munich or to Spain. Highly unlikely he will move to England.

• Advertisement

LeighH wrote: »
    I agree with the above, I just can't see Van Persie going to another English club. That said, I'd be shocked if he was still at Arsenal in August.

I agree, I think his reaction to Oxlade getting subbed off the other day summed up his frustrations with the quality the Arsenal squad has, or rather, hasn't. I'd be shocked if he starts next season for Arsenal. Most Arsenal supporters I know are resigned to losing him and certainly don't blame him, a player of that quality deserves to compete for silverware.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Yeah I think we should sign him, the doctor must be lonely now that hargreaves is gone.

The clubs medical staff are certainly not lonely at the moment!

Sacramento wrote: »
    I'd be shocked if he starts next season for Arsenal. Most Arsenal supporters I know are resigned to losing him and certainly don't blame him, a player of that quality deserves to compete for silverware.

Yeah I expect they'd be disappointed, but I don't think a lot of Arsenal supporters would begrudge him the move. He has given a lot of his career to the club and a player of his quality should be rolling in trophies by his age.

To try and make this somehow on topic: United won't be getting him ;)

Yeah I expect they'd be disappointed, but I don't think a lot of Arsenal supporters would begrudge him the move. He has given a lot of his career to the club and a player of his quality should be rolling in trophies by his age.

To try and make this somehow on topic: United won't be getting him ;)

Damn you for burstin my bubble.

Guess its onto the next topic so... :(

Damn you for burstin my bubble.

Guess its onto the next topic so... :(

Well hold your horses, there's plenty more in your last post. I expect there will be purchases this summer, and if Berbatov goes that could mean a tasty new striker of some sort!

I bet there will still be no sign of a new CM though!!

Well hold your horses, there's plenty more in your last post. I expect there will be purchases this summer, and if Berbatov goes that could mean a tasty new striker of some sort!

I bet there will still be no sign of a new CM though!!

Who knows. I think Fergie's vision is getting worse as time goes on, and he can only see two sides of the pitch - the two goals. The midfield must be just blackness at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Who knows. I think Fergie's vision is getting worse as time goes on, and he can only see two sides of the pitch - the two goals. The midfield must be just blackness at the moment.

Yeah, you must be right, we have absolutely no quality midfielders at all :rolleyes:

kryogen wrote: »
    Yeah, you must be right, we have absolutely no quality midfielders at all :rolleyes:

Thats not what I meant now Kryogen and you know it :p

I mean he can't see that we obviously have a huge problem there and seemingly won't/can't address it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Giggs played the full game on Sunday, so i dont see him starting against Liverpool. I also think Rooney should be rested with Chico starting alongside Wellbeck. I think Chico and Wellbeck have the speed and movement to pull the Liverpool defence in all sorts of directions.

Here's the team i would like to see:

De Gea
    Rafael
    Smalling
    Evans
    Evra
    Valencia
    XXXX
    Carrick
    Park

Chcico
    Welbeck

XXXX. I really dont know. I dont think i would start Scholes, i'd much prefer to see him come on when the game has settled down rather than at the rip roaring start that can be expected. Maybe put Park in the middle with Carrick and play Fabio on the wing?

• Advertisement

Sacramento wrote: »
    I agree, I think his reaction to Oxlade getting subbed off the other day summed up his frustrations with the quality the Arsenal squad has, or rather, hasn't. I'd be shocked if he starts next season for Arsenal. Most Arsenal supporters I know are resigned to losing him and certainly don't blame him, a player of that quality deserves to compete for silverware.

His reaction to Oxo getting subbed said plenty about his character as much as anything else, he is the club captain ffs.

In any case, Oxo had just got an assist and had played well, would you expect VP to be smiling ear to ear to see him get subbed off?

I will also be very surprised if he is at Arsenal next year though. No chance of him joining us though.

Thats not what I meant now Kryogen and you know it :p

I mean he can't see that we obviously have a huge problem there and seemingly won't/can't address it.

He has tried and failed to address it a couple of times, he is hoping Ando and Clev develop into players good enough to be first choice. Add to this that I personally think he likes to have good different options in the centre of midfield rather then out and out star players.

He likes to be able to pick players based on the opposition and what type of midfield the club will fac.

This I think is unnecessary at a club like Manchester United and if the money is there we should be bringing in midfielders that other teams will have to change their personnel and tactics to cope with, not the other way around.

He has a good mix when everyone is fit tbh, without this particular Barca team I am of the opinion that we would have been even more successful in Europe over the last few years, tough as that is. And domestically the squad is still getting the job done consistently.

Killme00 wrote: »
    Giggs played the full game on Sunday, so i dont see him starting against Liverpool. I also think Rooney should be rested with Chico starting alongside Wellbeck. I think Chico and Wellbeck have the speed and movement to pull the Liverpool defence in all sorts of directions.

De Gea
    Rafael
    Smalling
    Evans
    Evra
    Valencia
    XXXX
    Carrick
    Park

Chcico
    Welbeck

XXXX. I really dont know. I dont think i would start Scholes, i'd much prefer to see him come on when the game has settled down rather than at the rip roaring start that can be expected. Maybe put Park in the middle with Carrick and play Fabio on the wing?

Giggs has been playing twice in some 4-5 day periods these past few weeks and has been doing fine. Started in the Newcastle defeat on a Wednesday and then against City in the Cup on the Sunday. He also started against Fulham away midweek and then Wigan at home the following Sunday.

A 6 day rest for him will be fine, I'd say he has a very good chance of starting.

With regards playing Chico and Welbeck together, that leaves the midfield too open imo.

Killme00 wrote: »

De Gea
    Rafael
    Smalling
    Evans
    Evra
    Valencia
    XXXX
    Carrick
    Park

Chcico
    Welbeck

Only problem we will have is that it is likely that Dog-leash will pack the midifield with three players in the middle, along with another two out on the wings making a bank of five.

We will need three in the middle I'm sure, or a striker to drop back and neither Welbeck or Hernandez are adept at it (or not as much as Rooney)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I can see VPersie going to City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Is Rooney Injured?

• Advertisement

No **** Sherlock ;) only joking!

City are the only realistic option in England, dont think Chelsea will get involved after the Torres transfer, have a feeling AVB will look to bring in a striker from Portugal or Spain to compliment Torres since Drog is on his way and Anelka is gone.

Next season Torres will be the number one, he will have a strikeforce built for him with him as the centre piece.

Barca are the only club I can see him leaving for if Im honest, they dont need him though so whether they will be prepared to go big to get him is another thing, they may play the waiting game and get him on the cheap. Madrid will probably be interested but I just dont see him there for some reason. Again, they dont really need him either, would be the end of Benzema at the club I guess. Higuain is fantastic and with Ronaldo Di Maria etc.. already there its hard to make a case for them needing more attacking threat.

Is Rooney Injured?

Picked up a knock yeah, if he is any way doubtful I wouldnt want him in the squad tbh

He shouldnt play regardless, Berba and Chico both need game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Whats with all this striker talk??? We don't need any more strikers. We don't need RVP.

We have Berbatov, watch him Saturday and drool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

A world class Midfielder would be beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Only problem we will have is that it is likely that Dog-leash will pack the midifield with three players in the middle, along with another two out on the wings making a bank of five.

We will need three in the middle I'm sure, or a striker to drop back and neither Welbeck or Hernandez are adept at it (or not as much as Rooney)

Ho ho ho!

• Advertisement

Whats with all this striker talk??? We don't need any more strikers. We don't need RVP.

We have Berbatov, watch him Saturday and drool.

I wonder how many he'll actually miss before/if he scores?

We have Berbatov, watch him Saturday and drool stick your foot through the TV with frustration.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Giggs has been playing twice in some 4-5 day periods these past few weeks and has been doing fine. Started in the Newcastle defeat on a Wednesday and then against City in the Cup on the Sunday. He also started against Fulham away midweek and then Wigan at home the following Sunday.

A 6 day rest for him will be fine, I'd say he has a very good chance of starting.

With regards playing Chico and Welbeck together, that leaves the midfield too open imo.

Yeah, good point lads. I'm just not sure we have the players to play a five man midfield at the moment. Also If we are to play a five man midfield, it simply must be Wellbeck up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

FYP

Stop will ya, he's class.:D

Do you not rate RVP any more after his shocking miss before he scored the other day?

All strikers miss chances, Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez, Berbatov, RVP, Messi, Ronaldo, Benzema, Higuain, Villa, Aguero, Tevez, Ibra.

Simple fact of football

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Talk of Cleverly being on the bench this weekend sounds premature to me. Isn't he just back running outside this week? I'd be raging if he's not kept wrapped in cotton wool until he is fully fit and ready.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Talk of Cleverly being on the bench this weekend sounds premature to me. Isn't he just back running outside this week? I'd be raging if he's not kept wrapped in cotton wool until he is fully fit and ready.

He started outside running last Monday - no idea how his training plan has progressed since then, but I know he is still doing rehab, or was up until yesterday.

I would still imagine it may be too soon for him this weekend, but he did start the running last week, not this week.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jan/20/manchester-united-tom-cleverley-liverpool?newsfeed=true

Article on Cleverley from Friday with quotes from SAF.
    Ferguson said: "I am hopeful in 10 days' time he will be playing football on the training side of it anyway. That is the plan unless there is any recurrence of the injury. Then we can kick on.

"When he plays properly depends how he does in the training. His fitness levels should be fine, so he could cope right away. If he can, you are talking about a week."

Coming in the middle of a crucial period when United face a succession of top six contenders, Cleverly's return could provide a significant lift. "It would be a great boost to us," the manager said.

"The way that Tom started the season was absolutely phenomenal. I have not seen a young player have that impact at our club for a long time. He has been a loss because he has something different from everyone else."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It will be like new signing when he returns:p

So based on that he won't even be training before the weekend.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement