Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Posted earlier on FB - thought it might interest some here...

396196_290244417701150_242352039157055_818516_1902208015_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

alproctor wrote: »
    Posted earlier on FB - thought it might interest some here...

Was at the league game in October and can honestly say I did not see one ounce of trouble, no blocking or anything like that.

What annoyed me very much about this was the fact that all clubs do it when they come to Old Trafford and I still see away fans at Anfield and other grounds stand up for the whole game and not a thing done to them.

Anyway good to see bit of common sense coming back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

keane2097 wrote: »
    You can be in my clan if you want. You'll need better forms of insult than "numpty" though. I suggest "drooler".
    Only problem we will have is that it is likely that Dog-leash will pack the midifield with three players in the middle

Offer withdrawn. I'm mortified for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Anyway good to see bit of common sense coming back.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

kryogen wrote: »
    He has tried and failed to address it a couple of times

Not signing a central midfielder for over four years leads me to question the bolded part of your statement. The failed however is self-evident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

keane2097 wrote: »
    Offer withdrawn. I'm mortified for you.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So based on that he won't even be training before the weekend.

He was doing indoor work. Likely had a protective boot on so couldn't do proper impact running - but could use the equipment indoor, such as the weird anti gravity underwater treadmill thing they have.

He won't have been doing nothing, his fitness should be fine, it will be his match sharpness and strength of his ankle that will be the issues.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Welbeck and Hernandez up front would not leave the midfield exposed.

Welbeck has no problem dropping deep. The only reason he isn't dropping deep now is because he is under orders to occupy the centre halfs. If he took on Rooney's role he would be very dangerous when picking the ball up in a deep position and facing the goal.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Welbeck and Hernandez up front would not leave the midfield exposed.

Welbeck has no problem dropping deep. The only reason he isn't dropping deep now is because he is under orders to occupy the centre halfs. If he took on Rooney's role he would be very dangerous when picking the ball up in a deep position and facing the goal.

I think Wellbeck, while very talented and with huge potential, needs to work on his footwork. At the moment he has a tendency to lose it easily as his composure or control lets him down. He could not replace Rooney in terms of his build up play yet.

I reckon a five man midfield with Scholes, Giggs and Park while Wellbeck or Hernandez play up front is the most likely scenario. Giggs perhaps being the more advanced of the three to prevent the striker being isolated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

He has tried and failed to address it a couple of times

Not signing a central midfielder for over four years leads me to question the bolded part of your statement. The failed however is self-evident.

Scholes, carrick, giggs, fletcher, hargreaves,anderson, gibson, park o shea. All on the books the last few years. With cleverly, pogba, petrucci, morrison and a few others picked early on as lads who had serious shot at the first team. I am not saying I fully support fergies choices regarding the middle of the park. But he has had his reasons.

I suppose if we hadnt been so successful the last 4 years he might have changed his mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Have I missed something or is there a reason why we shouldn't see a more conventional front six along the lines of:

Valencia----Carrick----Giggs----Park
    Berbatov (Rooney if fit?)
    Welbeck

Scholes, carrick, giggs, fletcher, hargreaves,anderson, gibson, park o shea. All on the books the last few years. With cleverly, pogba, petrucci, morrison and a few others picked early on as lads who had serious shot at the first team. I am not saying I fully support fergies choices regarding the middle of the park. But he has had his reasons.

I suppose if we hadnt been so successful the last 4 years he might have changed his mind.

Scholes retired, Fletcher out till who knows when, hargreaves allowed to leave, gibson allowed to leave, o'shea allowed ot leave, no game time for Pogba, Morrison or Petrucci. Utter failure to do anything about the CM issues imo. I wouldn't mid the lack of transfers if he was trusting the youth players, but he isn't. Neither one nor the other, just a stubborn ignorance of issues in midfield.

LeighH wrote: »
    Have I missed something or is there a reason why we shouldn't see a more conventional front six along the lines of:

Valencia----Carrick----Giggs----Park
    Berbatov (Rooney if fit?)
    Welbeck
    For me, it is the fact Carrick was nursing an injury in the second half vs Arsenal. If there is any doubt about him, he should not be playing in the cup, imo. With Carrick out (for the sake of arguement) it comes to a choice of playing Giggs and Scholes together in midfield, or doing something a bit more 'radical', and Giggs and Scholes should NOT play central midfield together.

Cheers, hadn't noticed Carrick taking a knock. I was preoccupied with watching Rooney and Nani have lumps kicked out of them!

LeighH wrote: »
    Cheers, hadn't noticed Carrick taking a knock. I was preoccupied with watching Rooney and Nani have lumps kicked out of them!

Fergie said he was nursing a hamstring injury through the second half so had to just sit in the middle rather than roam as he has been doing more so of late.

The fact he got through the game is encouraging to say the least, but Carrick simply isn't a player we can afford to lose at the moment so that is why I would be very protective of him if there are any lingering injury problems this weekend. Yes it is Liverpool, but Stoke a few days later really is more important, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Whats with all this striker talk??? We don't need any more strikers. We don't need RVP.

We have Berbatov, watch him Saturday and drool.

I wonder how many he'll actually miss before/if he scores?
    You need to erase the city game from your mind, he's a great player to have as fourth striker and has never once complained to the media about lack of gametime.

And I wouldn't be surprised if he dis miss a few, lack of games is a killer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

huge injury list, liverpool a wounded animal, playing at home and martin atkinson is the ref.

this makes liverpool big favourites IMO. id take a draw in this one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Have to wait until tomorrow night before we can say they're a wounded animal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Atkinson, he's fúcking awful. How does that guy even get games nevermind huge games like this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

huge injury list, liverpool a wounded animal, playing at home and martin atkinson is the ref.

this makes liverpool big favourites IMO. id take a draw in this one.

Liverpool have a high intensity game tomorrow night whilst we have a rest, so at least we have that in our favour.

They are also missing two of their best players in Suarez and Lucas and can't score for toffee at the moment.

It depends on who we have available, if Carrick, Jones and Rooney are fit as expected we'll have a great chance, although Atkinson as ref is a worry.

• Advertisement

Scholes retired, Fletcher out till who knows when, hargreaves allowed to leave, gibson allowed to leave, o'shea allowed ot leave, no game time for Pogba, Morrison or Petrucci. Utter failure to do anything about the CM issues imo. I wouldn't mid the lack of transfers if he was trusting the youth players, but he isn't. Neither one nor the other, just a stubborn ignorance of issues in midfield.

read my post again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Lads, liverpool matches are always a lottery, as always I would take a draw.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Lads, liverpool matches are always a lottery, as always I would take a draw.

I think I'd prefer a loss than to have a replay.

Though I suppose with nothing else but the league to play for I might not actually be happy with that.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Couldn't give a crap about the cup, play the kids. It's all about 3 points at stoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

lordgoat wrote: »
    Couldn't give a crap about the cup, play the kids. It's all about 3 points at stoke.

You couldnt be a real UTD fan if you think loseing ANY match to liverpool isnt a big deal. Mickey mouse cup, FA cup whatever match.....

You couldnt be a real UTD fan if you think loseing ANY match to liverpool isnt a big deal. Mickey mouse cup, FA cup whatever match.....

we could be playing argentina in the FA cup and this season i couldn't give a ****. We don't have enough players right now so it's an easy decision for me. League>any other competition we're in right now.

we could be playing argentina in the FA cup and this season i couldn't give a ****. We don't have enough players right now so it's an easy decision for me. League>any other competition we're in right now.

We are no longer in the Champions league. We DO have enough players to challenge for The FA cup and Premiership.

We are no longer in the Champions league. We DO have enough players to challenge for The FA cup and Premiership.

we are without Vidic, Ferdinand, Fletcher, Cleverley, Anderson, Young and Nani almost for certain. Carrick, Jones, Rooney, Fabio are doubts as things stand.

How can you confidently say we have enough players to play a first choice vs Liverpool on Saturday and Stoke away a few days later?

Where are they? Cos all i see an injury list. Carrick, Rooney, Nani should not be risked in anyway against liverpool.

Also are united out of the CL? Man no idea how i missed that. cheers for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

The point LG is trying to make is that if we are risking Carrick Rooney Nani or Jones being out for a few weeks by playing them in the game vs Liverpool, which may overall affect our title challenge, then it's not worth the risk. And I have to say I'm quite inclined to agree with him.

I'd rather lose in the FA cup to Liverpool than to lose the league to city

• Advertisement

we are without Vidic, Ferdinand, Fletcher, Cleverley, Anderson, Young and Nani almost for certain. Carrick, Jones, Rooney, Fabio are doubts as things stand.

How can you confidently say we have enough players to play a first choice vs Liverpool on Saturday and Stoke away a few days later?

Because you can pick 11 from the rest of the squad? mite be a bit short at the back but theres, evans,smalling,evra,jones,carrick if needs be. and its no big deal for most of them to play a few days later to stoke. Rotating 1 or 2 if needs be.

VW 1 wrote: »
    The point LG is trying to make is that if we are risking Carrick Rooney Nani or Jones being out for a few weeks by playing them in the game vs Liverpool, which may overall affect our title challenge, then it's not worth the risk. And I have to say I'm quite inclined to agree with him.

Id rather play our strongest 11 against Liverpool and win and strongest 11 against stoke.

Sure we will see on Saturday if SAF starts with the kids. I have my doubts.

Because you can pick 11 from the rest of the squad? mite be a bit short at the back but theres, evans,smalling,evra,jones,carrick if needs be. and its no big deal for most of them to play a few days later to stoke. Rotating 1 or 2 if needs be.

lol, sure we're grand at the back, how are we doing in, i don't know CM?

Also Jones and Carrick are injured. No way should either of them be risked. To play them and then lose them for a few weeks or months would be devastating. Where as to lose at the weekend and have them fully fit would be a mere inconvenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Was it Tevez scoring in 1-0 win in 07/08 season the last time we beat them at Anfield?

Cant remember the next season total blank must have lost if I cant remember.

VW 1 wrote: »

It would be great if it was that black and white but it's not.

If we go out of the FA cup to Liverpool on Saturday, there's still every chance of City winning the league.

I get that the league is most important, but you also have to weigh up how likely we are to win each competition and factor that in. If City go on to win the league(which they are strong favorites to do so), winning the FA cup would mean a lot to us.

If it was me, I'd be putting out as strong a team as possible against Liverpool that will give us every chance to be in poll position to win a competition we haven't won since 2004.

We'll see what Fergie does. I don't see him resting too many key players, if any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Hate admitting it but you're right

The thing is, I would rather no extra games this season and just have a big run at the league title. No distractions, so going out of the cup to Liverpool is something I will accept. Would take losing every year home and away to Liverpool or City if we were to win the league each year.

Blatter wrote: »

We'll see what Fergie does. I don't see him resting too many key players, if any.

I agree with you, i don't think he will. But I don't think this game is worthy of the risk. If it was the other way around with Stoke in the cup, i'd be asking for the same thing. Rest the players for the league.

Trilla wrote: »
    Hate admitting it but you're right

Not to fond of admitting it myself but we have players for CM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Bottom line is we should have enough squad players who'd raise their game for Liverpool and scrap and fight to the end. If squad players looking to make an impact can motivate themselves to do that against Liverpool in the FA Cup then United is not really the club for them.

The Stoke game is more important and all precautions with regards to key personnel need to be taken.

No United player should be cowed by that Liverpool team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

I agree with Lordgoat on the FA cup thing. I mean we are out of the CL, the league should be our priority We are still a work in progress, squad wise, which hopefully will finally be tended to in the summer.

It's fantastic that we so close in the title race coming to the end of January. Throw into that our injury list, and I'd prefer to forget about the FA cup and just put all our effort in to challenging for the league. All or nothing but **** it, it seems the most sensible approach at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I see no reason not to play a mixture of first-choice and the kids or backup players.

Valencia---Pogba---Scholes---Park
    Berbatov

Chico

Put Pogba in there to do all the running and hard work which would take some responsibility away from Scholes. Sub Scholes for Giggs in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Bottom line is we should have enough squad players who'd raise their game for Liverpool and scrap and fight to the end

I agree, but I think we :) don't have enough of these characters.

Liverpool in Anfield, in the cup, whatever the state their team or form is a massive test for any player imo.

If we are going to go down that route we should have bent over to City, played a weakened team, gave them every chance of progressing in the cup and let them have to deal with the extra games.

If we are going to go down that route we should have bent over to City, played a weakened team, gave them every chance of progressing in the cup and let them have to deal with the extra games.

Are you trying to miss the point? Injuries. Prevention. If Carrick plays and does his hamstring properly and miss the next month, we're fuc-ked. No two ways about it. Pretty much the same goes for Nani. I'd hate to lose Rooney but he'd be the one where we have the most cover for.

Had we no injuries, i'd obviously want a full team out there. We don't. And every game after the liverpool game for the next month is more important. (ignoring replays)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Perhaps, but I think the City game was more than a cup game. The winner of the tie was always going to make a statement with the win, in regard to the league. It was a chance for City to say "we are the only team in town this season" and a chance for Utd to say "we aren't going away".

• Advertisement

Under normal circumstances we should have, but we were looking at a 3rd defeat in a row and I think it was important to avoid that by playing a full strength team.

Personally, I'd be delighted to see the likes of Pogba or Morrison start on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I really think this weekend should be about giving players time on the pitch. Chico and Berba need some game time. I'd also like to see Anderson get a game at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I'd rather give our all against Liverpool, absolutely hate losing to them and wouldn't play a weakened team for "just" the FA Cup.

Are you trying to miss the point? Injuries. Prevention. If Carrick plays and does his hamstring properly and miss the next month, we're fuc-ked. No two ways about it. Pretty much the same goes for Nani. I'd hate to lose Rooney but he'd be the one where we have the most cover for.

Had we no injuries, i'd obviously want a full team out there. We don't. And every game after the liverpool game for the next month is more important. (ignoring replays)

We were practically down to the bare bones when we played City as well, so the point of injury prevention could have stood for that FA cup game too.

We are arguably in a healthier state now as opposed to then, as at least Cleverley is very close to a return now, as is Anderson. Young is on his way back. Jones' injury apparently isn't bad at all either and should be in contention for Saturday.

If Carrick's hamstring is tight or there is a greater risk of injury with him than usual, then I'd agree with you that he's not worth the risk. But if he's good to go I'd play him.
    adox wrote: »
    Perhaps, but I think the City game was more than a cup game. The winner of the tie was always going to make a statement with the win, in regard to the league. It was a chance for City to say "we are the only team in town this season" and a chance for Utd to say "we aren't going away".

So basically tribalism then? That kind of stuff is largely relevant to Liverpool as well, but in a different sense. Ferguson won't want Dalglish getting one up on him and nor will he want to give him the chance to do so by playing a weakened team.

I won't mind him resting one or two players as long as the team he puts out is solid and very capable of winning, that's all I ask for.

If anyone wants to have a look at Clyne the Palace game is on BBC2 tonight.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement