Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Hedman

Pighead wrote: »
    Angola's (and Man Utd old boy) Manucho on a hatrick in the African Cup of Nations match against Sudan.

Speaking of which. How's Bebe getting on these days?

He did his cruciate back in August, should be back sometime next month/March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

DM-ICE wrote: »
    One of the red tops had the Nani story.

The Mirror reported it here..http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Manchester-United-Nani-could-be-out-for-two-months-with-foot-injury-according-to-reports-in-native-Portugal-article857463.html

Pinch of salt time of course until United confirm it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Stan Collymore suffered from a mental illness.

Wasn't he that FaceKicker guy who was banned from Boards.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Wasn't he that FaceKicker guy who was banned from Boards.ie?

I believe so, yes. It was a damn shame. Facekicker had it all in the locker.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Hi gang, i never knew so many of ye actually like me. Even i don't really like me.

Mitch thanks for making my point clear on Rav. He's the best youth player i've seen play and i think he'll be a success once he grows up. I'm basing my opinion on watching him play.

Trilla wrote: »
    Is the rumours regarding Morrison for 4m to Newcastle only coming from a tweet?

Is Nani defo out for a month? Still nothing here
    http://www.fantasyfootballindex.co.uk/premierleague-injuries.html

We are dropping like flies lately! I can see Pool doing us now in the cup tbh

Ya some tool on twitter is always talking ****e about him and started the rumour. I think DOc or nicklauski posted about it on boards yesterday.

• Advertisement

Hedman wrote: »
    He did his cruciate back in August, should be back sometime next month/March.

He's a player that I have a great deal of sympathy for. The work he has to do to justify his ludicrious transfer fee. What I annoys me the most is the vitriol people aim at him over it. You'd swear he went on holdout for huge money or something. I know people bleat on about poor unfortunate millionaire footballers etc. but he wasn't one. He was an obscure kid who suddenly and bizzarely became one of the hottest properties in Portugese football.

If ever you felt footballers were nothing but pieces of tradable meat then he is your prime (excuse the pun) example.

Personally, putting on my tinfoil hat, I felt he was bought as a sweetner to Jorge Mendes so that other transfers down the line could be executed post haste with minimum of fuss.

Reserves play Newcastle, team might give us an indication of the bench for the Liverpool game.

Also Rooney looking like he's out for the weekend, hopefully he's being minded for stoke.

Team:

Johnstone. Vermijl. Fryers. Norwood. Wootton. M. Keane. Cole. Pogba. W. Keane. Petrucci. Lingard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Pighead wrote: »
    Angola's (and Man Utd old boy) Manucho on a hatrick in the African Cup of Nations match against Sudan.

Speaking of which. How's Bebe getting on these days?

thats 3 goals for him so far aint it? jaysus the man looked class the last time, a few weeks after we signed him.

suited to international football, another david healy i guess.

ive heard bebe is due back in a few weeks. the lad has potential, but not at united. his level is the championship IMO, i hope we get about 3million back for him.

strangest transfer ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

Fletcher helping out with reserves in the pre-match warm up. God how we miss him... :(
    If he was at full fitness alongside Carrick, I would actually be reasonably confident of winning the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Fletcher supposedly fillling in for Scholes, helping to coach the reserves. Too much drivel in here recently to read back over the pages so if its been saaid already then apologies.

or as above!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

How is Petrucci getting on these days - the bad injury he had really slowed progess down. I know he was linked with a return to Italy and he was quoted as saying he wanted to stay at United. How has his game developed in recent times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Cliques in the thread. lol, it's like 5th class again. Tell your mum and she should come on here and sort it out.

So what if there are, it's the internet, it shouldn't matter to anyone.

Pogba doing really well in the middle. Decent games so far from Norwood, Lingard and the two Keanes.

And Petrucci, no idea how i forgot to type his name first time around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Can you post the link pleasE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

link here, come on the toon. Doh one nil down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

DM-ICE wrote: »
    How is Petrucci getting on these days - the bad injury he had really slowed progess down. I know he was linked with a return to Italy and he was quoted as saying he wanted to stay at United. How has his game developed in recent times?

interested to know this too...

Pogba off at half time for the reserves.

Could the Pool feel the force of the Pog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Pogba taken off for second half?

Liam O wrote: »
    interested to know this too...

Played pretty much every match this season for the reserves. Doing very well. Great on the ball, not sur how he'd manage in a two man midfield. But his touch and vision areexceptional.

Pogs off at half time. Obviously SAF doesn't want him to tired for Anfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

lordgoat wrote: »
    Played pretty much every match this season for the reserves. Doing very well. Great on the ball, not sur how he'd manage in a two man midfield. But his touch and vision areexceptional.

Pogs off at half time. Obviously SAF doesn't want him to tired for Anfield.

tiring work sitting on the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Pogba off at half time for the reserves.

Could the Pool feel the force of the Pog?

*Daily Mail hat on*

Pogba could have been taken off because he started hurling abuse at his team-mates at half time, told the coaches to go f'uck themselves, said Man United was a sh!t club and called up Alex Ferguson to tell him he is a dick and that he wants to leave.

He did do well in the first half though. You hearing that Tunni's been offered a 3 year deal?

Jesus what a howler from the keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

'Keeper will be having nightmares about that.

Johnstone did really well with the back pass in the first half. It took some bounce on the grass!

Petrucci scores a stunner.

What a hit!

He did do well in the first half though. You hearing that Tunni's been offered a 3 year deal?

yeah, but hearing the same stuff you are I suppose, on twitter, so I don't know how much there is to it. hopefully it is true - a great prospect imo.

The "Irish" twin scores!

• Advertisement

yeah, but hearing the same stuff you are I suppose, on twitter, so I don't know how much there is to it. hopefully it is true - a great prospect imo.

i agree, i did think he'd have done better at P'boro but he is definitely getting more game time than at the start of the year.

Also i didn't think Lingard would have done as well in the reserves as he had. I'm a big big fan of his but he's just so slight!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    The "Irish" twin scores!

he is english now. changed international allegiance.

he is english now. changed international allegiance.

Really? Aw!

Very neat goal made and scored there by our Italian contingent!

I presume the requisite 30k a week. Tis only for and proper after all.

'Keeper will be having nightmares about that.

Johnstone did really well with the back pass in the first half. It took some bounce on the grass!
    That's not the Donegal lad is it?

• Advertisement

I presume the requisite 30k a week. Tis only for and proper after all.

AS ever your finger is on the pulse.

Yep Sam Johnstone capped right the way through from U16-U19 for England that's him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Johnstone

You're thinking of Joe Coll. I think they view him as the better of the 3 youth team 'keepers. Don't take my word on that though...

You're thinking of Joe Coll. I think they view him as the better of the 3 youth team 'keepers. Don't take my word on that though...

Really? I've seen very little of him, but Amos and Johnstone are very good young keepers.

Really? I've seen very little of him, but Amos and Johnstone are very good young keepers.

Yeah but they are reserve 'keepers.

Coll, Jacob and I can't remember the other fellas name, they are the youth team 'keepers.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭eugeneious

• Advertisement

some discussion on twitter that we might be making a move for Clint Dempsey. Talk of 15million plus Diof and Morrison.

Don't imagine their being any truth in it myself, with how United seem to have valued Diof that wouldd put the bid for dempsey somewhere around 20million, maybe a bit more, from a United perspective - not the type of price I think the Glazers will throw out for a player of Dempseys age.

Taking out the money factor though, i do think he could add something to the squad - a goal scoring midfield threat and a very intelligent player.

It does come back to the money and I feel the money could be put to better use in a bigger bid for a better player in the summer - though I do feel we could do with Dempsey now! Really not sure on it. If it was 10million cash plus Diouf i'd be well behind, it is just a few million more than I think it is worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

good player, but not in united's calibre

and not worth anything close to £20m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

some discussion on twitter that we might be making a move for Clint Dempsey. Talk of 15million plus Diof and Morrison.

fúck off twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Don't imagine their being any truth in it myself, with how United seem to have valued Diof that wouldd put the bid for dempsey somewhere around 20million, maybe a bit more, from a United perspective - not the type of price I think the Glazers will throw out for a player of Dempseys age.

Taking out the money factor though, i do think he could add something to the squad - a goal scoring midfield threat and a very intelligent player.

It does come back to the money and I feel the money could be put to better use in a bigger bid for a better player in the summer - though I do feel we could do with Dempsey now! Really not sure on it. If it was 10million cash plus Diouf i'd be well behind, it is just a few million more than I think it is worth.

He would be a great buy. I've watched almost all of Fulhams live games this and the last two or three seasons and has some great qualities and he seems to improve every season. Fulham are a very entertaining team to watch in fact especially when Ruiz, Zamora, Dembele and Duffers all start.

At 28 he should offer us four good seasons without a huge price tag and he has that all important PL bedding in experience out of the way.

I can't see a down side to be honest.

Helix wrote: »
    good player, but not in united's calibre

and not worth anything close to £20m
    first part - this is an issue many untied fans, and the club itself, imo, have.

This fabled 'United' quality - seemingly deeming players like Keane, Robson and Scholes as good enough for United.

Nicky Butt was a damned fine player for us over the years, Phil Neville was an excellent player for us, many times in midfield. Bloqvist was a key member of the 99 treble wining side imo. We won teh CL with a starting midfield partnership of Beckham and Butt with Blomqvist and Giggs on the wing.

For the last few years O'SHea and Gibson have played with regularity, an inconsistent Anderson too. Alan Smith was considered a potential answer in midfield, Kleberson and Liam Miller too. Remember Djemba Djemba - I'm sure you do Helix!

Now, some of those players can be considered failures overall, but the fact is most of them have been part of title winning sides. As squad players.

United don't operate on the level of City, or Madrid, or Barcelona in term if transfers. Unlike Mancini, Fergie isn't going to moan about an injury crisis when two players are out injured, he isn't going to say that he needs money from the owners to continue a title tilt because a youth player might need to be used. We can't afford to have 2 world class players in every position. What we need are top players in the first 11 and secondary players capable of coming in to the side and doing a job. For the most part, we do this very well - with excellent options in most areas of the pitch - except the centre of the park.

Yes, Dempsey is not in Scholes' (of old) class, or Keane or Robson - but he IS better than Gibson, he is better than Miller, and Kleberson, and Smith etc. He is better than most squad option we have had down the years. I don't think dempsey is good enough to be first choice for a CL challenging side (looking to next season) but as part of the squad? I'm fine with that, happy with that.

If we brought Dempsey in now, with the plan in place to sign (for example, not saying we'll sign him, or should) Sniejder or Modric in the summer - i'd be happy with that. My issue would be is if Dempsey is seen as the answer (assuming Anderson doesn't actually find his top form consistently) and our 1 CM signing - that, imo, wouldn't be good enough.

As a first choice signing - would have big reservations. As a squad signing - would be very happy. It comes down to money. At the rumoured price, can we afford him as a squad option and still sign another top CM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

im not a united fan and i think he's a fair bit below their standard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Good player, but I don't see where he really fits into the current United system. He's essentially a winger who roams all over the pitch - I don't think he's anywhere near disciplined enough to play in United's system. He's not better than Nani or Valencia, and there isn't much between him and Young(despite Dempsey being years older)

I suppose he could be competent cover for Rooney alright(although he's obviously a far inferior player to Rooney). But £15-20m for a soon to be 29 year old backup player? No thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

its just twitter bullshít

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

This fabled 'United' quality - seemingly deeming players like Keane, Robson and Scholes as good enough for United.

Nicky Butt was a damned fine player for us over the years, Phil Neville was an excellent player for us, many times in midfield. Bloqvist was a key member of the 99 treble wining side imo. We won teh CL with a starting midfield partnership of Beckham and Butt with Blomqvist and Giggs on the wing.

For the last few years O'SHea and Gibson have played with regularity, an inconsistent Anderson too. Alan Smith was considered a potential answer in midfield, Kleberson and Liam Miller too. Remember Djemba Djemba - I'm sure you do Helix!

Now, some of those players can be considered failures overall, but the fact is most of them have been part of title winning sides. As squad players.

United don't operate on the level of City, or Madrid, or Barcelona in term if transfers. Unlike Mancini, Fergie isn't going to moan about an injury crisis when two players are out injured, he isn't going to say that he needs money from the owners to continue a title tilt because a youth player might need to be used. We can't afford to have 2 world class players in every position. What we need are top players in the first 11 and secondary players capable of coming in to the side and doing a job. For the most part, we do this very well - with excellent options in most areas of the pitch - except the centre of the park.

Yes, Dempsey is not in Scholes' (of old) class, or Keane or Robson - but he IS better than Gibson, he is better than Miller, and Kleberson, and Smith etc. He is better than most squad option we have had down the years. I don't think dempsey is good enough to be first choice for a CL challenging side (looking to next season) but as part of the squad? I'm fine with that, happy with that.

If we brought Dempsey in now, with the plan in place to sign (for example, not saying we'll sign him, or should) Sniejder or Modric in the summer - i'd be happy with that. My issue would be is if Dempsey is seen as the answer (assuming Anderson doesn't actually find his top form consistently) and our 1 CM signing - that, imo, wouldn't be good enough.

As a first choice signing - would have big reservations. As a squad signing - would be very happy. It comes down to money. At the rumoured price, can we afford him as a squad option and still sign another top CM?

This post. This post is true.

The United quality thing bothers me too. Unless its a marquee signing this phrase gets trotted out. Imagine the players this has been said about. Solskjaer. Ronaldo. Fletcher and the list goes on.

Dempsey is not Scholes, we all know that. The problem is there is no answer to the Scholes question. Scholes is Scholes. He cant be replaced. He was one of those once in a lifetime players blessed with a unique talent combined with the maturity and correct attitude to cultivate that talent. This combined with hard work and his love plus loyalty for Utd and under Fergies protection he developed into one of the best midfeilders the game has and will ever witness.

Dempsey can't replicate that but who are we to say we don't need what he has to offer. He can be more than asquad player imo. He could be one of those players we look back on in 5 to 6 years time and go wow, he really went to a new level at Utd and was a great player. Can he become a legend like Keane or Scholes? Probally not. Can he be a great player if he really pushes himself and is given the right oppurtunities? Yes, I honestly think he could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

Nuri Sahin needs to swap Madrid for Manchester ASAP. The good side of Manchester that is!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement