Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying Customers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Don't blame the Shop Assistants for that, I used to work in a busy sports shop on Mary St (Dublin for you culchies) and we had to ask every question did they need a hand.

The very person....Gavin did you ever hear of a pub called Toners in Kevin st area....?

Also a customer of mine tried to bite me recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

What the fcuk?

You are a shop assistant. The clue is in the title. Do your flippin job.

In my experience, I would always attempt to assist. But some customers don't really want assistance and are there simply to complain or demean people they see as lesser mortals because they work in retail. These people can go f*ck themselves.
    WindSock wrote: »
    Unhelpful shop assistants piss me off a bit. The ones who are rarely on the floor but hiding behind the counter flirting or chatting away and look horrified that you have disturbed their conversation to ask a question or try to pay for something.

You should set up a thread about that. It's a bit off-topic in a thread that's titled Annoying Customers.

Today, my annoying customers were complaining to me that our Salmon wasn't from Ireland. Do they think fish operate to boundaries? All swim in the same sh*t. Also, are cream is too hard to whip and a woman things we should take it off shelves so we don't leave people disappointed Xmas day.
    I forgot one of my other gripes. Taking things from the fridge/freezer and leaving them anywhere they like. Instant waste. More waste = higher prices. They dont seem to get that though :-S

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Ronin247 wrote: »
    First rule of customer service,customer is always right.
    second rule of customer service,Customers sh*t don't stink.

First rule of working in retail is that your first rule is a lie.
    Second rule is, coincidentally, that your second rule is also a lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

What the fcuk?

You are a shop assistant. The clue is in the title. Do your flippin job.

Problem is that some customers think that had a ****e day think they can take it out on retail staff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

You actually can't win.

If you go up to a customer and offer to help them they're like "Leave me alone I'm only browsing".

If you don't go up to them you're considered a sh*t shop assistant.

:rolleyes:

Hate rude customers though, I actually refuse to serve them. Just because it's your jobto assist people doesn't mean you need to take sh*t :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Bullshít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    You actually can't win.

If you go up to a customer and offer to help them they're like "Leave me alone I'm only browsing".

Hate rude customers though, I actually refuse to serve them. Just because it's your jobto assist people doesn't mean you need to take sh*t :)

I agree man, it hardly takes that much effort to say, 'no thanks, i'm just having a browse', politely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Nope. You often have to point out that a customer is wrong. You just have to explain to them in the simplest terms why they are wrong.

For example I had a customer try to buy wine off me at ten to eleven at night a few weeks back. Apparently we're the only shop in the country enforcing a ten o clock closing time. By your logic I should have just sold her the bottle though yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

I worked in Smyth's toy store one Christmas.

On Christmas Eve a lady asked me if we had any Furbies left. I said no. The murderous look she gave me will stay with me 'til the day I die.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I worked in Smyth's toy store one Christmas.

On Christmas Eve a lady asked me if we had any Furbies left. I said no. The murderous look she gave me will stay with me 'til the day I die.

So she went to Tesco's instead with her gripe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I can honestly say after almost 12 years of working in bars, I have never, ever known a customer to be right about anything. Seriously, if I'm in the wrong I'm happy to admit to it and put it right, But that has never happened.
    The problem with Irish customers (maybe it's the same worldwide) is they have this sense of entitlement and vague (completely false) idea of what the law is.
    I regularly read the Cries of Retail thread in R&R and I can't believe how people in some situations don't completely lose the rag. I absolutely will not put up with any bullshit from anyone. I don't care who you are or who you know, I don't care if you're a guard or related to one and sure as fuck if you threaten me with with Joe Duffy or some other loser, I will laugh in your face and ignore you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

To anyone working in pubs or retail, do not ask your customers "are you all right?", or "are y'all right?" WTF is it about Irish customer service that this has become the standard greeting? 'Of course I'm all right! Do I look sick?'

"May I help you?" or "How may I help you?" is the way to approach customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    You actually can't win.

I did a little experiment with this yesterday in a popular restaurant. Usually 1 minute into your meal, the staff come over asking is everything ok. Normally your mouth is stuffed so all they hear is mmmmph mmmh. This time I needed a knife and fork. I didn't grab their attention, I waited about 10 minutes until I had my burger finished an half my chips gone. She eventually asked, but again as my mouth was full all she heard was mmmmph mmmmh and walked away.

When you don't need them they are there, when you do... They are there but much slower and are gone as quick.

Advertisement