Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rift hacked !

Options
  • 23-12-2011 8:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭

Trion's database holding account info was compromised, see below for info and you should've got an email from them.
    I haven't played it myself in ages but you should login and change your password at least, even if you don't play it anymore.
    We recently discovered that unauthorized intruders gained access to a Trion Worlds account database. The database in question contained information including user names, encrypted passwords, dates of birth, email addresses, billing addresses, and the first and last four digits and expiration dates of customer credit cards.

There is no evidence, and we have no reason to believe, that full credit card information was accessed or compromised in any way. We have already taken further action to strengthen our systems, even as we, with external security experts, continue to research the extent of the unauthorized access.

You will notice on your next log in to our website that you will be required to change your password, and existing Mobile Authenticator users will also need to reconnect their Authenticator. When you log in, you will be prompted to provide a new password, security questions and answers, and be given the option to connect your account to our Mobile Authenticator to enhance your account’s security.

If you have used your username and password for other accounts, especially financial accounts or accounts with personal information, we suggest you change your passwords on those accounts as well. We recommend that you carefully review your statements, account activity, and credit reports to help protect the security of those accounts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

That's pretty bloody major.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Aye i got the email this morning, ive gone through their suggested procedure and changed account details.
    I havent played in many months, im hearing good comments from my old quild however.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I got the email, and assumed it was spam. Maybe i shouldnt have deleted it. I'd removed my credit card long ago, after someone renewed my subscription without my approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

I got the email and never played it did have a account to register for beta ages ago but that it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

Strange too because about 2 weeks ago I noticed I start getting spam relating to Wow but too an email address I specifically set up for the Rift Junkies website at the time back in April or something.
    The email I used was non existent in that it goes to a catch all address rather than a mailbox and it had the name of their website in the email address (riftjunkies@mydomain.???) - so I can track if I get spam from certain sites I might sign up for.
    While they refused to admit responsibility (Rift Junkies) either for selling on email addresses or that they were hacked, it seems a bit suspicious now especially given they were linked to a previous mass hack of peoples accounts in Rift via a keylogger in their dps parsing tool (an .exe file) and malware injections via adverts on their website - all of course denied at the time but some people decompiled and decrypted the code in the parser and found evidence, again still denied, they were saying it wasn't theirs.

Not the first time also that Trion were hacked and responsible themselves for it, when the game first came out there was a serious security flaw in the login tool/launcher. You could enter anyone's login email address (assuming you knew it) and then just gibberish for the password - and the game would let you login as them :rolleyes:

Anyway, changed my password on Rift. Don't see myself ever playing it again but it's very annoying to have your details taken so easily.

Just to point out too, with SWTOR, if you know a persons email address they use to sign in, if you try to login as them and enter gibberish for their password seven times, it locks them out of their account and they must call customer support to get unlocked. Very annoying for sure for people it's happened too but at least it doesn't let you login to their account like Trion did ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,397 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lucky I only ever took part in the beta, still got the email thou

Advertisement