Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Square bales of straw- great stuff

• 23-12-2011 9:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

I got a load of straw on Wednesday- 48 bales of 8'x3'x2.5'
    We fitted 38 of them into a shed where previously we could only get 16 round bales, they're great users of space!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

locky76 wrote: »
    We fitted 38 of them into a shed where previously we could only get 16 round bales, they're great users of space!

do people make silage bales square?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭rliston

Don't be telling people that; I've a full haybarn of round bales to sell :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

kboc wrote: »
    do people make silage bales square?

contractor round here does them. neighbours used them and recons there is two round bales worth in them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Long before the days of your fancy sheds and lean-to's , these bales were packed to the rafters in out-houses .- where a round bale would'nt even fit in the door .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Spreading the big squares is a bit of a chore compared to round though.
    Easy enough to roll out a round bale and throw it around. Lot more effort to spread a square.
    Tremendous amount of straw in them though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Long before the days of your fancy sheds and lean-to's , these bales were packed to the rafters in out-houses .- where a round bale would'nt even fit in the door .

I think you're mixing these 8x3 bales up with the small square bales!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

Any harm asking what you paid for them? Was on to a guy in Cork who was looking for 12 euro ex shed for 7*3*2.5 a while back, it was nice straw but way too expensive at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

Milton09 wrote: »
    Any harm asking what you paid for them? Was on to a guy in Cork who was looking for 12 euro ex shed for 7*3*2.5 a while back, it was nice straw but way too expensive at that price.
    I paid €14.50 a bale to get it delivered from Cahir and stacked into a shed in Limerick, I consider it good value as there are around 1.5 round bales in a square one this size, 8'x3'x2.5'. It'll keep for the following winter too if i don't use it all this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Is that why I see round bales in many parts of the country still sitting in the fields apparently rotting:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 same 130

one round bale in a 8x3x2.5 sq.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

same 130 wrote: »
    one round bale in a 8x3x2.5 sq.

That would entirely depend on which baler made the round bale and what way it was set, all round bales are not made equal.....

All I can say is that we've weighed the square bales we sell, 7x3x3 (actually 7x2'10x2'8) at 190 KG and the round bales from a McHale fusion baler at 140KG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Just a quick addition, 3 lorries, each with 76 bales on board ready to head north last Saturday morning, they made a nice hole in the shed:D

186200.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Milton09

nilhg wrote: »
    That would entirely depend on which baler made the round bale and what way it was set, all round bales are not made equal.....

All I can say is that we've weighed the square bales we sell, 7x3x3 (actually 7x2'10x2'8) at 190 KG and the round bales from a McHale fusion baler at 140KG

Out of curosity I re-baled one of the sample 7*3*2.5 bales from Cork and got 8 reasonable small square bales, thats the main reason I thought they were expensive.

Advertisement