Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV ????

Options
  • 23-12-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hi all
    I am new to this forum & have a limited knowledge of computers,Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated Firstly I have wifi in the house, spare lap top, spare pc, external hard drive, attic space to run cables & access power. I am looking for four external cameras. I would like to be able to view footage from my iPhone, I have a budget of €200

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Not possible I'm afraid, your budget is just too small.
    Have a look on ebay for a 4 channel capture card, get some free software like zoneminder and with the change have a look at the twilight cameras on cctvdirect

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Remmie 223

Jnealon wrote: »
    Have a look on ebay for a 4 channel capture card, get some free software like zoneminder and with the change have a look at the twilight cameras on cctvdirect
    Thanks jnealon for your quick response. What would I need to spend on such a system? I may hold off a while & see if I can increase the budget

• Registered Users Posts: 24 xocal

Jnealon wrote: »

Sorry for interrupting , but I have a similar question!
    I have two cctv cameras linked to a 2channel mini digital Video Recorder, with 12gig capacity and presently can view pics on a small tv.
    I have a a wireless router setup which enables me to log on to my pc, laptop, iphone, ipad etc in a wifi setup.
    I also have a spare laptop and a wireless router plus a spare dvr, and would like to know what else I need to enable me to view pics on my iphone?
    Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ron J

4 external cameras will need to have infrared (IR) capability so as to see at night. You will require a 4 channel Digital video recorder (DVR) to record the images from your 4cameras. Each camera will require a CAT 5 and coaxial cable. Cat 5 for power & coaxial for picture back to DVR. Cat 5 can be used for pictures too but for analogue cameras coaxial is best. You will require a monitor at the DVR. To be able to access the system from your PC or Smartphone you need to connect your broadband to your DVR. You will need to ask your broadband supplier for what's called a static IP address. This is required so as you can upload the images from your cameras via your DVR to your phone or PC. Some suppliers have a once off charge for the static ip address and some provide it free. Best results are achieved if upload speed is a min of 1GB. The higher the upload speed the better the pictures and the faster the load time.

Cost wise expect to pay anything from €1000 to €2500. Price around.
    NB: ensure the installer is licensed with the PSA ( private security authority).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

xocal wrote: »
    Sorry for interrupting , but I have a similar question!
    I have two cctv cameras linked to a 2channel mini digital Video Recorder, with 12gig capacity and presently can view pics on a small tv.
    I have a a wireless router setup which enables me to log on to my pc, laptop, iphone, ipad etc in a wifi setup.
    I also have a spare laptop and a wireless router plus a spare dvr, and would like to know what else I need to enable me to view pics on my iphone?
    Any help appreciated.
    Has the dvr got a network port, should be on the back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Ron J wrote: »
    4 external cameras will need to have infrared (IR) capability so as to see at night. You will require a 4 channel Digital video recorder (DVR) to record the images from your 4cameras. Each camera will require a CAT 5 and coaxial cable. Cat 5 for power & coaxial for picture back to DVR. Cat 5 can be used for pictures too but for analogue cameras coaxial is best. You will require a monitor at the DVR. To be able to access the system from your PC or Smartphone you need to connect your broadband to your DVR. You will need to ask your broadband supplier for what's called a static IP address. This is required so as you can upload the images from your cameras via your DVR to your phone or PC. Some suppliers have a once off charge for the static ip address and some provide it free. Best results are achieved if upload speed is a min of 1GB. The higher the upload speed the better the pictures and the faster the load time.

Cost wise expect to pay anything from €1000 to €2500. Price around.
    NB: ensure the installer is licensed with the PSA ( private security authority).

Ron just curious my broadband provider UPC have a dynamic system. I asked them about the static ip and they said it was only dynamic available. Yet my cctv installer was able to set up the cctv so that i can view online and on my smart phone with no problems:confused: Could this be a problem down the line? (pardon the pun):cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Ron just curious my broadband provider UPC have a dynamic system. I asked them about the static ip and they said it was only dynamic available. Yet my cctv installer was able to set up the cctv so that i can view online and on my smart phone with no problems:confused: Could this be a problem down the line? (pardon the pun):cool:

Yes if your ip changes you will no longer be able to view from outside your network unless you find out the new IP you have been assigned and use that

kind of like your address on the internet, if UPC changes your address and you send something obviously it wont be delivered. Thus is the case with Dynamic IP

Static just means you keep the one IP all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Yes if your ip changes you will no longer be able to view from outside your network unless you find out the new IP you have been assigned and use that

kind of like your address on the internet, if UPC changes your address and you send something obviously it wont be delivered. Thus is the case with Dynamic IP

Static just means you keep the one IP all the time

Ah ok Cheers for that:cool:. I wonder would service providers regurlay change IP addresses and why:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

Ron J wrote: »
    . You will need to ask your broadband supplier for what's called a static IP address. This is required so as you can upload the images from your cameras via your DVR to your phone or PC

you do not need a static IP address , you can use a service such as http://www.no-ip.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Ah ok Cheers for that:cool:. I wonder would service providers regurlay change IP addresses and why:confused:

Uses of dynamic addressing

Dynamic IP addresses are most frequently assigned on LANs and broadband networks by Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) servers. They are used because it avoids the administrative burden of assigning specific static addresses to each device on a network. It also allows many devices to share limited address space on a network if only some of them will be online at a particular time. In most current desktop operating systems, dynamic IP configuration is enabled by default so that a user does not need to manually enter any settings to connect to a network with a DHCP server. DHCP is not the only technology used to assign dynamic IP addresses. Dialup and some broadband networks use dynamic address features of the Point-to-Point Protocol.

• Advertisement
Advertisement