Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Carlingford

Options
  • 23-12-2011 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

Has anyone experience of living in Carlingford?
    I see it got 4.5/5 in a poll on best place to live.
    Any good or bad points to living there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I've never actually lived there, but am a regular visitor, and have been all my life.

Carlingford is a beautiful place, with amazing facilities on the doorstep if you're into watersports and/or outdoor activities, and some great restaurants. I'd love to live there.

On the downside:
    Carlingford is located just NE of a rather large mountain. The sun goes down behind it. It gets cool and dark earlier in Cf than it would in say Dundalk.
    The commute could be a bastard, depending on where you work.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'd love to live there. The amount of hen nights. It'd be paradise! Nice scenic spot aswell. I'd highly suggest the Ravensdale to Carlingford hike and a spot of Kayaking as it warms up too..... We train our newbies out by there most years.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Maedbhish

I live there! :P

That's really all there is to say about it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

^ :D

It is a nice place but as was said it is a good drive down to Carlingford from the ballymac roundabout.

No better if you were coming in from Newry via Omeath.

Nice place with some nice houses but there is a premium for the scenic location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

The Guvnor wrote: »

It is a nice place but as was said it is a good drive down to Carlingford from the ballymac roundabout.

Nice place with some nice houses but there is a premium for the scenic location.

I was just thinking the same.
    Its a lovely place, but the drive to Dundalk or Newry would be a tough commute. Also the rent prices are out of my budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

The Guvnor wrote: »

I was just thinking the same.
    Its a lovely place, but the drive to Dundalk or Newry would be a tough commute. Also the rent prices are out of my budget.

Would be a fine commute. Better than Dublin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

The scenery is ok, but the people are its biggest let down. If they were giving houses away in the morning i wouldnt take one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

The scenery is ok, but the people are its biggest let down. If they were giving houses away in the morning i wouldnt take one.

Can you elaborate on the people please?

Can you elaborate on the people please?
    Generally 2 types, dirtbags and pretensious knobs and very little inbetween.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

MugMugs wrote: »
    Would be a fine commute. Better than Dublin :)

I agree with you MM but the M1 is great and it would grate on me driving 15 mins once I left the motorway.

Maybe Jenkinstown is a fair compromise?:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Any you base that sweeping generalisation on what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

I live in Carlingford and I absolutely love it here. Beautiful place. Pretentious people and dirtbags and nothing in between? Such a sweeping generalisation that holds no truth. Like everywhere, there's a mix that ranges from pretentious twats to dirtbags and EVERYTHING in between. The village itself is perfect. The lough is beautiful. The mountain is beautiful. The drive to Dundalk takes 20 minutes, is rather nice and is over before you know it. Not a problem if you had to commute it. I commute to Dublin everyday. Honestly, there's very few places in Ireland I'd rather live if there is one at all. Maybe Glandore or somewhere else thats very similar to Carlingford.

punk_one82 wrote: »
    I live in Carlingford and I absolutely love it here. Beautiful place. Pretentious people and dirtbags and nothing in between? Such a sweeping generalisation that holds no truth. Like everywhere, there's a mix that ranges from pretentious twats to dirtbags and EVERYTHING in between. The village itself is perfect. The lough is beautiful. The mountain is beautiful. The drive to Dundalk takes 20 minutes, is rather nice and is over before you know it. Not a problem if you had to commute it. I commute to Dublin everyday. Honestly, there's very few places in Ireland I'd rather live if there is one at all. Maybe Glandore or somewhere else thats very similar to Carlingford.
    20 mins disgraceful that you would drive at that speed past schools and built up areas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

20 mins disgraceful that you would drive at that speed past schools and built up areas

thumb_smiley-vault-signs-048.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16 katemccb

I moved out to carlingford about two months ago i love it, im 22 and thought place would be bit quiet for me im originally from over west and get very homesick but i must say have settled here very well, people are lovely, restraunts really nice, craic at weekends is mental and shopping in newry is brillant and not far down the road sainsburys is brillant to have and cinema is there to. Its really nice to go for walks and fishing and kayaking, horseriding out here to and your in walking distance from all the pubs i couldnt get over the amount of hens and stags here at weekend:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

katemccb wrote: »
    I moved out to carlingford about two months ago i love it, im 22 and thought place would be bit quiet for me im originally from over west and get very homesick but i must say have settled here very well, people are lovely, restraunts really nice, craic at weekends is mental and shopping in newry is brillant and not far down the road sainsburys is brillant to have and cinema is there to. Its really nice to go for walks and fishing and kayaking, horseriding out here to and your in walking distance from all the pubs i couldnt get over the amount of hens and stags here at weekend:)

Sounds like you really are loving it. Awesome to hear. Carlingford is the place to be! :)

Good to see carlingford tourist board are on the ball. Must have been the leprechauns that tipped them off

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

We had a holiday home there some years ago.
    It was a nice area to spend a little time in it the odd week or weekend.
    I dont think I would live there, but can see why some people would be very happy living there.
    If you dont drive though, forget it.

Advertisement