Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snag list?

Options
2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

hp1 wrote: »
    Turned out to be an empty threat to get things moving. Bully boy tactics.

I was getting them to do some work after close of sale too though and made sure to hold back some money until all works were complete. Amazing how quickly a job can get done when a builder is owed money. Much harder to get them back when all funds are paid.

Hi ,
    Its a shame to see these types of 'tactics' and games being played - but it seems likes it Par for the course now that there is a bit of life in the housing market in Dublin again.

R/e charging interest - There is a contractual period to close including having the home inspected - But the builder must satisfy the professionals that you have employed in the conveyancing process -
    i.e. Your solicitor - Needs to receive all documentation required from the vendor / or developer.
    Your solicitor can also advise on statements such as ' charging interest '.
    I find it very unlikely that you have type of threat in writing from the builder or developer - Unless there was huge delays at the buyers end in completing the contract.

One other tactic that I've seen again this year, particularly as we near the close of the year. Houses that are no where near ready for snagging & occupation - But the builder is calling the buyer and saying its ready for inspection & taking a kind of " take it or leave it attitude"
    This is based on the builders knowledge that most buyers and new home owners are very very keen to get into their new homes before Christmas, and will let certain things slide in the hope of getting the keys & moving in - with a foolish notion that it will be easy to get the builder to come back later and fix items.
    No matter how eager you are to move in make sure you take the advice of your legal rep. & your building inspector / snag list professional.

- All documentation from the vendor should be in order
    - The builder should give you a written completion notice so that you can engage a snag inspector.
    - A check should be made are you responsible to have the services (Bord Gais & ESB) connected in your name. (Note. this can add a delay of a number of days if you have to contact your chosen supplier & to have the meters fitted - But it allows for a fuller more complete inspection of the house and its systems if the services are connected & operable).
    regards,
    MF ;)

Advertisement