Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Pudding Neurosis

Options
  • 23-12-2011 11:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭

I have a neurotic conundrum which I have decided to vanquish for 2012..but I need your help.
    I am a unique blend of old school and new school. I grew up in an era when to waste food was a very very bad thing to do. This coupled with the modern new fangled notion of food safety is causing me great mental anguish.
    When I cook black pudding how do i cook the pointed /rounded end in a manner that ensures that the piece has been cooked through? With all the other pieces the cut side sits flush with the surface of the hot pan but not the rounded end. I have tried tilting and rotating this end but find this technique unsatisfactory. The obvious solution is to trim off this end and discard it but my impoverished 70's upbringing makes me fear the wrath of "The Black babies" who would walk miles through sandy heated hell for this sliver of pudding.
    Grilling is a better option I grant you but the curved area of the pudding slice is still further away from the heat source than the tip PLUS the pud' is less tasty when grilled rather than fried.
    I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

black pudding can be eaten uncooked in fact its very very tasty, so i always eat the rounded end raw solving the above problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

From After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Its not exactly raw, its been boiled already.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

farmchoice wrote: »
    black pudding can be eaten uncooked in fact its very very tasty, so i always eat the rounded end raw solving the above problem.
    I worked in a pork/bacon factory for quite a while as a kid, i love all meat but would not eat anything raw, as there are some pretty vile things going on behind Vet inspectors backs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

11:53 #5 im invisible
    blue_star_3.gif

Adverts | Friends

Its not exactly raw, its been boiled already.

sorry i ment to point that out its already boiled so it safe to eat it without frying or grilling it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,056 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

farmchoice wrote: »
    sorry i ment to point that out its already boiled so it safe to eat it without frying or grilling it again.
    it's been boiled but also man handled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Moved from Christmas & tidied up thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

If it bothers you that much, OP then baste the curved side with the hot butter/oil as the flat side cooks by direct contact with the pan. /problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

there are some pretty vile things going on behind Vet inspectors backs!

Don't say that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

it's been boiled but also man handled
    :confused: just like other foods which are cooked and then handled/packaged, like donuts, ham etc. Do you recommend recooking them too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Most pans are a bit rounded at the edge, sit the curved bit of the pudding into the edge here and it should get some kind of contact with both the bottom and side of the pan. You can roll it around the side a bit too to make sure more points get some contact. Tilt the pan a little to let some oil run down to it as well, and if you're using a gas hob you can hold the pan to focus the heat on this part too.

</fellow neurotic>

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

stevenmu wrote: »
    Most pans are a bit rounded at the edge, sit the curved bit of the pudding into the edge here and it should get some kind of contact with both the bottom and side of the pan. You can roll it around the side a bit too to make sure more points get some contact. Tilt the pan a little to let some oil run down to it as well, and if you're using a gas hob you can hold the pan to focus the heat on this part too.

</fellow neurotic>

Black pudding always has a skin on it which should be peeled off before cooking it so the sides, or any other part of it, hasn't come into contact with anything in the handling. As stated already, black pudding is fully cooked in production and is perfectly safe to eat straight from the packet if you wish - personally, I like it nice and crispy so I do fry it well.
    I've been in the Clonakilty black pudding factory and I would have no problem eating that or any other pudding cold, from the ring or chub.

What exactly do you think will happen if you don't cook the sides?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

What exactly do you think will happen if you don't cook the sides?
    It won't be all crispy and delicious :)

I'm just really pedantic about things like this. I'm the same with sausages, I always have to completely brown them all the way around, I won't leave the two pink strips like most people would. I'll even make sure the end of each gets a bit of time against the side of the pan*. I doubt I can taste the difference, and it doesn't bother me what way other people cook things, I just get complete OCD over the way I cook things :)

*this doesn't achieve a whole lot, but it's a pain in the ass getting sausages to stand on their ends so it's a compromise I live with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Rather than cutting it into circles, cut the pudding into long lengths. No curved sides then, just two sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

livinsane wrote: »
    Rather than cutting it into circles, cut the pudding into long lengths. No curved sides then, just two sides.

You didnt think that through did you?

Its a tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Jumpy wrote: »
    You didnt think that through did you?

Its a tube.

You would have a bit of waste but it would be possible to cut straight edged shapes out of it (by trimming the edges).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can cut it lengthwise, let both lengths sit on their rounded sides and then cut down the middles again, so now it is 4 lengths, each with 3 sides, one side is a little rounded but has decent contact.

This is for the processed straight ones obviously.
    I'll even make sure the end of each gets a bit of time against the side of the pan
    I used to do this too. I would put a spatula handle or metal skewer across the pan and have the sausages resting on it at 45 degrees so the ends got browned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

You could just crumble up that piece ;)

Advertisement