Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Morgan Variations

Options
  • 23-12-2011 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Right, so I wanted some original Captain Morgan dark rum for Xmas, told the person buying it not to get me the spiced variant as it's not as nice. Three places later I get a text saying nobody has it, it's always only ever been spiced. Eh, sorry, what? :rolleyes:

At this stage I should probably say I reside in London and the two variants I'm familiar with are easily purchased in most supermarkets.

I'm talking about these (the one I wanted is on the left):

drink-black-detail.pngdrink-original-detail.png
    But they didn't have either when I went to buy it, so I had to buy this one instead!

url.jpg

So what's the craic? Can I not get the dark rum anywhere in Ireland? Has anyone got it before?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭listermint

rpg wrote: »
    Right, so I wanted some original Captain Morgan dark rum for Xmas, told the person buying it not to get me the spiced variant as it's not as nice. Three places later I get a text saying nobody has it, it's always only ever been spiced. Eh, sorry, what? :rolleyes:

At this stage I should probably say I reside in London and the two variants I'm familiar with are easily purchased in most supermarkets.

I'm talking about these (the one I wanted is on the left):

drink-black-detail.pngdrink-original-detail.png
    But they didn't have either when I went to buy it, so I had to buy this one instead!

url.jpg

So what's the craic? Can I not get the dark rum anywhere in Ireland? Has anyone got it before?

You can get it in certain off licenses they always have it in the airport duty free. But its muck (i think) but most supermarkets ive been in dont stock the dark one.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rpg

listermint wrote: »
    You can get it in certain off licenses they always have it in the airport duty free. But its muck (i think) but most supermarkets ive been in dont stock the dark one.
    Cheers. Yeah, I must remember to buy a bottle or two next time I'm coming back. Might try O' Briens in Blackrock. I've already bought the other one, but sure you can never have enough high alcoholic content beverages at Xmas time... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

I've never seen the dark rum stocked here. It's possible their distributor doesn't want to bother marketing it int he 26 counties but you can get it in one of the 6 counties in the north.

It's a dark rum as opposed to a spiced rum which is what most people know Morgans as. There are other dark (aged) rums you could get such as:

goslings-black-seal-rum.jpg

or

Havana Club 7yr http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/-z-product-product-306-context-_distillery-page-3.htm

Appleton : http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/Other_Spirits__drinks/Rum/Appleton_Rum-category-24-distillery-27-brand-98-z-brand.htm

There's also a cheap dark rum that you often find in off-licences here. It's bottled in Ireland by whom I cannot remember. The Celtic Whiskey Shop on Dawson St. has a decent selection of rums if you can get there. Redmonds in Ranelagh is a good off-licence though a touch more expensive for the spirits, same with the one in Dundrum whose name escapes me.

O'Briens don't have the largest selection of rums.

Also, I've seen Angostura rums have begun to be sold ina few places. They have an Irish rep trying to get into the market. I think they've a 7yr old aged.

(All of the above might be useless as I've not actually tasted that Morgan's dark rum)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

There's a brand that I see in off licenses often enough..Sea Dog I think it's called.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭rpg

Thanks fellas - I think I'll try one of those, I've seen the Havana before but not the others.

Happy Christmas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement