Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wondering if I'd allowed to build on tiny spot of land I own?

• 23-12-2011 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

Would I be contravening the forum charter by posting a photo of the land? I'd say it's only about a sixth of an acre,an eight maybe,but I've been house hunting for ages and suddenly struck me,I owned a tiny strip of land already. I did email an architect but got no answer,maybe too close to christmas?. Size wouldn't matter,all I want is 4 or 5 rooms where I can live.
    http://g.co/maps/g7gpj
    Thanks and wish all a nice holiday.
    A

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I can't answer your question but the area looks lovely. Best of luck with your build :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

get an arch/ arch tech to take a look at the site suitability/situation/surroundings etc. and assess the:
    • local area plan,
    • mains sewerage and drainage,
    • precedence in the area (and your connection to the locality),
    • building lines with adjoining dwellings and generally area
    • road access, junctions, site lines
    • moving esb/elec
    • other options such as approaching adjacent land owner etc
    then if suitable, submit to your LA a brief outline (map. sketch and explanation/design statement of proposed, asking the local area planners opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Thanks,is there a minimum distance from septic tank to house? a minimum distance from the road and would the prescence of a drain be a factor?.

I suspect it might be too small but I will contact an architect after Santa comes. What's their fee likely to be?. E200?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

im only guessing here but we built a house 3yrs ago and there was a minimum distance from sewerage/perulation area to well area etc..i dont think your area there will fall any where near that distance considering there is a house so close,does it belong to a family member?could maybe work around it then..plus the council usually insist on the house/dwelling being so far back from the road again i think you would fail that and that would only be the start of it
    when we built on a 2-3 acre site the conditions set were ridiculous

Hi yes my instinct is that it probably is too small but should I have this confirmed?. Yes the house next to it is my mother. I came to own this tiny strip through inheritance from an uncle.

• Advertisement

well maybe you could come to some agrrement about sharing sewerage well facilities,that would solve a few problems but could cause probs later if the home house is sold
    yes check it out for sure..why not.. but i'd say a council planner will tell you all you need to know and then it should be an open and shut case no ifs or buts..you'd probably get them out quick enough too as i cant see them being to busy at the moment

just looking at your pic again and see its close to a junction could be a major problem too but get it checked out anyway..nothing to lose

Thanks,just rang the council and I'll send them a pre-application query in the new year. It will only cost be the price of a map. Yes it is a long shot. There is room for a small structure,I've seen some very small houses,very tightly squeezedin, but I accept that it's unlikely to fulfill criteriia. It's value is probably as a garden to the next owner of Mums.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Freiheit wrote: »
    Thanks,is there a minimum distance from septic tank to house? a minimum distance from the road and would the prescence of a drain be a factor?.

I suspect it might be too small but I will contact an architect after Santa comes. What's their fee likely to be?. E200?.
    if you dont have a mains option you need a treatment unit (difficult to assess site size without site testing and system unit considerations, but a mains sewer would certainly be a better option if available..)-

there are certain things you need to work out, before your pre-application query is sent in - the first response from the council, is important.. see my list above, offering solutions to these issues should be pre-empted where possible, - for example they might say that your to close to the junction, you could suggest that the sites entrance is combined with the existing entrance. I don't think the entrance option, will work for the treatment unit or peculation area.

Advertisement