Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

im not convinced

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

smcgiff wrote: »
    Registering with a professional body (not technician) is your next step, and start getting more exams.

Yes, but as you can see at the moment the OP is having difficulty doing this...

I also am aware of at least 3 people offering bookkeeping type services and they probable are not as well qualified as the OP!!! Desperate times calls for desperate measures...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

smcgiff wrote: »
    That's probably the problem, what you are suggesting is very basic for you, but would be unchartered (see what I did there!) territory for her.

theg81der,

Registering with a professional body (not technician) is your next step, and start getting more exams.

I know and before my excemptions run out but money is a bit of an issue it`ll be very expensive because I have to pay per excemption and registration kinda was holding out hoping I`d get a job but now with baby on the way don`t think thats happening so will have to try register for next exams.

Would you prioritise ACCA or tax institute registration? I really like tax but realise I have to do both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

I can't believe some of the posts in here.

"Would you expect an unemployed doctor to work in McDonalds?" Eh, YEAH. If he needs the money and while waiting for a suitable position to come up. I can't even believe that is a question.

And that is the epitome of so many Irish people who think certain jobs are below them. To them I say, grow a pair.

I see it all the time. I was in the Pavilions last year with a mate who had been unemployed for 2 years. I noticed a sign in a sandwhich/coffee shop looking for full time workers. I pointed it out to him and he gave me the dirtiest look ever and a "f*ck that!", as if there was no way he was ever working there. Another mate I'm currently working with said he'd never be caught dead working in places like McDonalds even if he was desperate for money.

You'll never get the Irish out of this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭braintoxic

Well im off to work again tonight as a security officer . Il get double pay for a 12 hour shift .i only have to work 40 hours which means 3 shifts a week n 4 at d end of d month . Life is good and again i feel proud wen i pay my own bills and dont need hand outs ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

braintoxic wrote: »
    my work was construction related
    Do you think that this sort of job gave you a body that could dish out more physical force? Also, are you stuck to one area with a family or not? Finally, have you gotten attacked due to your job, after job hours?
    Chessala wrote: »
    Funnily enough all the cleaning personal in my company is Polish....I wonder why....:rolleyes:
    Often because the employer knows that they'll stay long term, and not move to another job when one comes up.

the_syco wrote: »
    my work was construction related
    Do you think that this sort of job gave you a body that could dish out more physical force? Also, are you stuck to one area with a family or not? Finally, have you gotten attacked due to your job, after job hours?

I have a mortgage so i live and work here .id never have to move .you dont need to be physical to work industrial or retail security .your thinking of door work.i work in a control room .security work is highky regulated now so we never ever have to put ourselves at risk in any way shape r form .wat gets me is i work 60 to 70 hours some weeks because its so busy n still none if my old work mates have tried this work !! ...but still complain they have no work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

@ braintoxic, fair play to ya for working in the security industry, not an industry I'd be fond of being in. It might not be too bad doing the shops or something similar but patrolling schools, factories etc on your own at night is a different matter, theres always the risk of getting a hiding from some gurriers looking to get their thieving hands on something.
    While I agree with the sentiments of some posters saying it's better to be working than being on the dole and that also that there are jobs out there, the problem is the location of jobs in relation to a persons place of abode.
    I have found with jobs I have applied for the question of experience is the killer not whether I had the qualifications, hell I even offered to go on an internship for one local business just to try and get my foot in the door but that offer was dismissed without a thought.
    I have over 20 years work experience with good references, have done a few courses since I became unemployed but I'm finding it difficult to find any employment I'm capable of doing.
    The statement that there are a good number of jobs out there is only true in relation to some industries and/or locations, I understand there is even a shortage of people in some sectors of the I.T. industry, but not everybody is cut out/is able to be retrained/has the experience/able to relocate or travel to take up those jobs.

Fair point i suppose but like i said u have a choice .u can work retail I
    Or industrial and there are lone worker procedures to protect u . U could get beat up in any job where u work with the public . All our officers have to check in hourly and we we have mobile vans on patril all d tine if needed . All night officers only patrol lit up areas with set points and d gardai will be on location immediatly if a security office is worried or sees people he or she dont like the look of .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hi there - can you use less text speak please?

• Advertisement

Eoin wrote: »
    Hi there - can you use less text speak please?
    ..ok il try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

i work in a control room
    Ah, you don't have it too bad, then. Most of the people that I know who've done security (doormen, shop security, shopping centre security, etc) have been followed (sometimes to their home) and assaulted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Fair play OP. You sound determined, you worked hard for years and in a time of recession you are seeing the benefits, be proud!! :)

I think you are right about some people on the dole. I've worked at everything over the years so it's not a problem for me to change careers/industries, I've done it loads. But there are people out there who are not willing to do that, and they feel entitled to stay taking money from the state until something of their liking comes along.

There are some difficulties that people face when looking for work,things outside of their control. As a nation we are incredibly ageist. If you are between say 25-40 (ish) you will have an easier time getting a job, good chance you have some work experience behind you (maybe like me in a variety of industries) your wages are still cheap, you may even own your own home so it's not likely you'll be leaving any time soon.

BUT if you fall either side of this you are in trouble, under 25 (ish) you may not have much work experience (only college or school), so employers may not be willing to take a chance without work references. Over 40 and there is the assumption that you will want higher wages to match your experience (and lifestyle); regardless of whether this is true or not. Over 50 and you cease to exist as far as most employers are concerned.

Employers are also taking the piss with employee's in a lot of cases as they know that there aren't that many options out there. So where people have gotten jobs they have been bullied and threatened with the job being taken away at any minute. Or by some employers bringing people in to work for "free" for a day to judge how good they are, then never give them (or anyone) the job, just keep doing this.

So its about hard work and being aggressive with applications but also being smart enough (confident/informed enough) to spot the chancers. Its a tough time for most.

(dont get me started on the dole "lifers" and the fake single parents, they are costing us a fortune)

Advertisement