Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Studying Abroad

Options
  • 23-12-2011 3:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I was looking into studying abroad, possibly one of the Scandinavian countries and I was wondering can you get the back to education allowance for that?
    I don't think you can but someone told me you could. Does anyone have any information on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Um, you might be able to get the grant and any applicable fee assistance, but I'm not sure about the BTEA.

Contact the welfare office... (taken from http://www.welfare.ie/en/publications/sw70/pages/abacktoeducationallowancebtea.aspx)

For current information on the schemes qualifying conditions, please contact your local Social Welfare Office or:

Back to Education Schemes
    Department of Social Protection
    Social Welfare Services
    Government Buildings
    Shannon Lodge
    Carrick-on-Shannon
    Co. Leitrim.

Tel: 071 96 72698

Local social welfare offices: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/ContactUs/Pages/localoffice.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gilldog

Hiya, Im on BTEA and studying in Edinburgh so you should be fine as long as you are eligible for it and the course you are going to do meets the criteria.

When I was submitting my forms for it, I asked the lady in the welfare office if it was ok that I was studying abroad and she said no problem, and that her own son was claiming it and studying in America.

FYI, you used to be able to get both the grant and BTEA, but not anymore, although the BTEA is equivalent to the dole, so €188 a week. Bear in mind they only pay it into Irish accounts and it might cost everytime you withdraw from a foreign ATM, only a small amount but it would add up if you were doing it every week. As for mine, I took a loan out to pay for my accomodation for the year, and my BTEA covers the repayments.

Good Luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

Thanks for the replies. Yes I asked the welfare office and they confirmed what Gilldog has said. This is what they said for anyone interested:
    "Full-time day Undergraduate courses in European Union countries which are recognized for Higher Education grant purposes may be considered for the Back to Education Allowance (BTEA). Only Postgraduate courses in Ireland are eligible for the BTEA scheme

Prior to commencing a course of study the applicant must be in receipt of a qualifying Social Welfare payment as follows Second Level option: Be in receipt of payment for at least 3 months (78 days)and Third Level option 9 months (234 days)."

Advertisement