Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poaching penalties?

Options
  • 23-12-2011 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Sorry if this is an inflammatory subject, I am just looking for information.

What would the penalty be for getting caught poaching Salmon out of a river?

Not me I might add :D Nor am I asking on anyone else's behalf, just heard a story and was wondering.

ATB,

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

johngalway wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Sorry if this is an inflammatory subject, I am just looking for information.

What would the penalty be for getting caught poaching Salmon out of a river?

Not me I might add :D Nor am I asking on anyone else's behalf, just heard a story and was wondering.

ATB,

John

Like many things in legislation, there is no simple answer to this. Parameters are laid down for different breaches of fishery legislation, Eg.Some may carry a Max fine of €500 first, €750 second, and €1500 subsequent offence.
    The number of offences commited/charged would be taken into account.
    Also Fishery Board expenses, and Legal expenses.
    The Judge will take all into account and decide what penalty issues on a case by case basis.

It can be a very expensive day out and can easily add up to a couple of grand.
    Any gear used in commiting the offence, eg A Boat, may stand forfeit too.
    Get a rush of blood to the head and do something silly like throw a dig at a Fisheries Officer and you could be looking at a vacation at the tax payers expense!

The next night your out lamping a fox, don't be tempted to go looking at Salmon this time of the year. It's an offence to disturb them spawning too!

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

"slightly" off topic, but this reminded me of a story i heard in the midlands earlier in the yr, on a visit to a tackle shop, where apparently a river is close by and was being hit by foreigners netting it!! the said culprit was caught in the act by a sort of vigilanty group;)and hung upside down by the feet from a bridge on the river, guards got a quick phone call but it took them 5hrs to find him:D:D, i nearly wet myself laughing proper order for the p***k:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 buzzardflute

I think the penalties on guys that are caught by the inland fisheries netting,lamping or spear fishing is a joke,they get a day in court and a small fine.I think if the court had the time to look into the damage that is done the penalties would be alot higher

Then you can look at it in another point of view,last year i was fishing the suir c&rfor salmon,i caught a fish of about 5lb,took a pic and let in on its way,about 20mins later the cfb came down and checked me log book which i hadnt filled in the info about this fish,they fined me 100 euro and took my fishing gear until i payed the fine!!

Then you can look at it in another point of view,last year i was fishing the suir c&rfor salmon,i caught a fish of about 5lb,took a pic and let in on its way,about 20mins later the cfb came down and checked me log book which i hadnt filled in the info about this fish,they fined me 100 euro and took my fishing gear until i payed the fine!!

Just to clarify:
    The CFB (Central Fisheries Board) issued you, last year 2010, with an on the spot fine of €100?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Reason I ask is I heard on the grapevine a fella I used to know got caught. Another man then mentioned a rather large five figure fine sum which I didn't really believe TBH.

Either way, hope they throw the book at him, chancer.

As for me, nah I don't bother with things like that, too much worry and hassle and for what!?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

johngalway wrote: »
    Reason I ask is I heard on the grapevine a fella I used to know got caught. Another man then mentioned a rather large five figure fine sum which I didn't really believe TBH.
    That's fishing for you - "it was this big". ;)
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR20VQ9zraDXl7Ysrjy6A3t8EFP5EUSefSpiF6ZJPn-GNCZTW-ft3e2mg

bayliner wrote: »
    safe_image.php?d=AQBRalJOPGJgdTBw&w=120&h=100&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.belfasttelegraph.co.uk%2Fmultimedia%2Farchive%2F00307%2FJS4111563_Caption_3_307424a.jpg... note "bailiff":D:D

More Bullsh1t. Is that the best contribution you can make?
    It's getting tiresome.

it was a joke!!!! suppose you need a sense of humour to get it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Easy lads. The preferred term on the forum is Fisheries Officer. It's a happy medium.
    Happy new year to you all and.. Tight lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

heard a thing on the radio that the ifi are installing security cameras looking at various pools on rivers to detect poaching, doing this instead of skins on the ground.........they have a grand total of 4 cameras for the whole country........i suppose its a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Buggs

heard a thing on the radio that the ifi are installing security cameras looking at various pools on rivers to detect poaching, doing this instead of skins on the ground.........they have a grand total of 4 cameras for the whole country........i suppose its a start.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/hidden-cameras-rolled-out-to-snare-poachers-2982874.html
    COVERT mobile cameras are being rolled out along the State's rivers and lakes in a bid to clamp down on poaching.
    The state-of-the-art CCTV equipment is being introduced for the first time following a successful pilot scheme launched in north Dublin last month, the Irish Independent has learned.
    Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI), which is operating the scheme, said the technology will help its officers respond more effectively to incidents of poaching.
    "Primarily we want these cameras to be covert and we don't want people taking too much notice of them, so they can do their job without being broken," a spokeswoman said.
    "It's really about working smarter, getting the best use of our resources because they are reducing all the time.
    "We get lots of reports and we try to investigate all of them, but it's not always possible to get the right evidence or somebody might mistake what they're looking at. So this will be to verify what they're looking at."
    Ireland has over 70,000km of rivers and streams and 144,000 hectares of lakes, all of which fall under the jurisdiction of IFI.
    The plan is to introduce up to four units initially. The CCTV will be state-of-the-art and small to evade detection; mobile to be moved from various locations; equipped with motion detection, and battery powered.
    But the IFI declined to give any further details of how they will be moved around for fear they will be spotted and vandalised by poachers.
    The equipment will also be capable of having the recorded images downloaded in real-time so that IFI enforcement officers will be able to view them on smartphones or laptops and respond immediately if poaching is detected.
    IFI set up a 24-hour hotline in 2010, and around 402 calls were received between January of last year and the end of September. The semi-state body, which was established in July 2010 after the amalgamation of the Central Fisheries Board and the seven Regional Fisheries Boards, initiated almost 170 prosecutions for poaching in its first six months.
    In one case in Monaghan, a defendant was given a six-month jail sentence for illegal coarse fishing on Lough Ramor; while fines of €2,200 were given to three individuals for illegal coarse fishing in another case.
    Total prosecution figures for 2011 are not yet available.
    The hotline number is 1850 34 74 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Oh really? ;)

Zzippy wrote: »
    Oh really? ;)

yes..... according to the ifi spokesperson on the radio yesterday, she said 4.

yes..... according to the ifi spokesperson on the radio yesterday, she said 4.

Well, if she said it it must be true.... ;)

Well, if she said it it must be true.... ;)

you think something is a miss?.....there are more hidden cameras than they are letting on?......a conspiracy theory........:pac::pac:

you think something is a miss?.....there are more hidden cameras than they are letting on?......a conspiracy theory........:pac::pac:

Well, I didn't say that but lets just say these might be 4 additional cameras that are being ordered... ;)

I believe there have been a number of irate phone calls complaining about this - people concerned about big brother watching, or maybe worried about big brother watching them!

Well, I didn't say that but lets just say these might be 4 additional cameras that are being ordered... ;)

I believe there have been a number of irate phone calls complaining about this - people concerned about big brother watching, or maybe worried about big brother watching them!

mmmm pretty sure she said 4 in total, well maybe she made a mistake, anyway its a good idea and i wouldnt mind them watching me at all, sure there are cameras on the ridge pool and galway weir for a good while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

It really is a needle in a haystack. A good start tho and will be interesting to see if convictions result. It would also be interesting to see how much they cost.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

SeaFields wrote: »
    It really is a needle in a haystack. A good start tho and will be interesting to see if convictions result. It would also be interesting to see how much they cost.
    The haystack is smaller than you might think. There are always 'hotspots' of illegal activity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Yep, I suppose we can all think of one or two local pools that we would love to see those cameras on.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭alanrebelsw

Cameras good poachers bad!! simples...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ring 20

price would depend on what the person was doing i guess, fishing with a rod or using a net? can see a lot of balyclavas being sold this season!

Advertisement