Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So We Got Holly Today!!!!!!

• 23-12-2011 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭

My partner went and collected Holly our pet Lurcher from the DSPCA today!!!

You might remember a few weeks back I started a thread about getting a dog- which was going to be my first. So a big question I have to ask is- how long/far can you walk a puppy for? She's heading for 4 months old. When I take her out, how long or far is advisable? I know when she's grown a walk of at least an hour is recommended.

186128.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Ah she's gorgeous. It's recommended 5 minutes a day per month of age. I'm sure though if she's still hyper if you go for 2 x 15 mins a daythat would be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

gorgeous. i remember seeing her on their website. must be the best xmas pressie for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

I remember your thread. Best of luck she's a beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Wow what a cutie :D. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

She's a beauty! Enjoy the short walks while she's little, my lurcher is 7 months now and can't be tired out. They're so beautiful at top speed though:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Aw , cuteness overload :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

OMG she is beautiful :)Lurchers are lovely dogs xxxxx.Wishing you many happy years together x.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

She looks a little older in the photo but she really is just a pup. So tonight has been the first time we've really had to get acquainted, it's been really interesting.

She really seems to like human company and cosying up to you. She crawled onto my lap on the kitchen floor and was quite content to sit there while being pet. Later when we moved into the sofa she would move from her spot so she could lay up against you.
    She's very quiet and seems to really like sleeping/dozing. Once we have a coat for her tomorrow we'll take her for a short walk.

When we were heading to bed I called for her to leave the sofa....... but she was having none of it! I brought her to the kitchen where she climbed into her bed. After having brought her out to the garden and having checked the kitchen I headed to bed. Oh that was hard, she was whimpering for a while. I assume this is the right thing to do? She sleeps in the kitchen (the door is closed to the hallway) while we're upstairs?

I have my alarm set to go off in a few hours so I can let her out to go to the toilet if needs be. This is the right thing to do while they're a pup right? I think I read one of you guys mention this in a post.

6561564253_69289d2632_z.jpg

Edit- Thanks for all the advice and kind comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

have had over 5 Lurkers walking them if your not using them for hunting you will need 45 mins a day and if can bring them out to the Country side and let him off the lead and let him run around the place burn that high energy they have.

i have one out side at the moment and let him off the lead once a day and boy he has speed like no lurker i seen before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Cork24 wrote: »
    have had over 5 Lurkers walking them if your not using them for hunting you will need 45 mins a day and if can bring them out to the Country side and let him off the lead and let him run around the place burn that high energy they have.

i have one out side at the moment and let him off the lead once a day and boy he has speed like no lurker i seen before.

You cant exercise a pup for 45 mins. You shouldnt exercise a pup too much until its fully grown as you risk damaging joints. As someone else mentioned, its 5 mins per month of age per day.

Its Lurcher btw ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

joint damage...

i have a chihuahua and walk them 45 mins a day if i dont the both of them lets me knw its time for a walk.. and no joint damage down to them..

5 mins per Month.. first i ever heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Cork24 wrote: »
    joint damage...

i have a chihuahua and walk them 45 mins a day if i dont the both of them lets me knw its time for a walk.. and no joint damage down to them..

5 mins per Month.. first i ever heard.

The rule is for pups while they are growing. Once fully grown you can exercise for longer.
    No expert will advise exercising a pup for very long for these reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I just wanna pick her up and give her a cuddle, shes lovely.
    I've heard greyhounds like to sleep a lot alright so wouldn't be surprised if lurcher was the same. Puppies sleep a fair bit anyway, I'm no expert but heard they do most of their growing while they sleep thats why they need so much.
    Anyway just wanna to say how cute she is, keep the pics coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

Look at that gorgeous face! And those eyes. I bet she knows how to use them for maximum 'poor me, give me treats and let me sleep beside you where I am most comfortable, thanks!' :-)

I'll bet she didn't want to leave the sofa. Mine never do either!
    It is best to start them in their bedtime routine asap because if they've had people around them all day, then it can be difficult for the dog to appreciate that people need their sleep and can't be up all night to give them attention! Sometimes it can be beneficial to get the dog settled by saying 'bedtime' and giving them a gentle rubdown and using a soothing phrase. That can help too if you want to get them settled before you leave the house. They'll come to associate it with quiet time and that they are going to be alone for a while. I did that with mine and it works brilliantly to quieten them before I leave. Whimpering is normal. I have one that tries it sometimes and she's three years old. A real chancer, that one. I had to harden my heart!

It can be a good idea to let them out at night when they're pups because their bladders are quite small. Having said that, mine never needed to be let out at night and there were no accidents either. I consider that a fluke however and expect any future dogs to be quite the opposite!

Wishing you and your new arrival all the best together!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Beautiful pup and will be a wonderful dog. Enjoy all the puppyhood it goes by too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

oh dear lord that is one cute pup,,,enjoy the madness...:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Shes a stunner Kintaro congrats. I can see a little glint of "mischieviousness" in her eye...you're in for some fun for the next while :D

Regarding the nighttime training, sounds good to me. People give in too easily when they're a pup and it just leads to problems in adulthood. As hard as it is,stick to your guns...it will be so worth it in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Can you give your dog too much attention? I'm a little concerned that maybe we're playing with her/focusing on her too much. So far she'll be in her basket in the kitchen but if we head into the living room she'll follow us.

If we go upstairs (where she's not allowed) she whimpers. Pretty much all of our time is focused on her. Should we spend time while in the house just getting on with things and 'ignoring' her to an extent or is this normal for a pup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Its similar to a baby basically,if they do something to get attention i.e cry or whimper and you pet/play/soothe them. they will learn lightening quick thats what they need to do from now on.Dont give in! You have to stick to the rules. If shes not allowed upstairs....dont give in to ANY whimpering or attempt to get your attention. If shes getting her walks and playitime, its perfectly normal to ignore her now and again.

Its veerrrryyyyy hard to ignore a puppy though, so i can imagine how hard it is for ya trying to set some ground rules at the min :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Remember to constantly reward good behaviour. It will take a bit of time - she is very new. I have always wanted my three around me so they do have a bed in the lounge but sleep on another one in the kitchen when I go to bed. Just be consistent & never give mixed messages.

She is bound to be insecure & your objective is to build her confidence. You have to be firm but full of praise when she gets it right. Also don't confuse her whining for company with needing a pee !

• Advertisement
Advertisement