Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New photo album about Galway people, but so expensive 45 e!

Options
  • 23-12-2011 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Have you seen that book?
    is nice, and has some great photos of around 100 " famous" Galway people, but is it only me thinking 45 euro for photo album is way too much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I haven't seen it, but suppose if you wait a while it'll drop in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

on the cover of that book you will find the american guy who cooks "russian" dougnats on saturday market :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Demand and supply, I guess.

Price it too cheap, and every scruff will have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

JustMary wrote: »

Price it too cheap, and every scruff will have one.

LOL!

Every scruff probably got a free one because they are *in* it! :P

Joking. Those coffee table type books are spendy to print. Looks great though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It is an excellent book though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

For a glossy photography book that size e45 is actually pretty average. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭NuckyT

That book is null and void unless Knacker Dwarf is in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

It is expensive imho but the guy who made it (Reg Gordon) has pit a lot of time and effort into it afaiknow. It's not a 'throw a few photos together' job.

i like some photographs, the places where people are pictures are well choosen.

but there is almost nothing except photos. each person is described in just a few words. dont think that is a lot of job:P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

pepe00 wrote: »
    i like some photographs, the places where people are pictures are well choosen.

but there is almost nothing except photos. each person is described in just a few words. dont think that is a lot of job:P
    Well isn't a picture worth a thousand words, so if we're to take wordcount as the true measurement of worth, you've got fantastic value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Here's his blog, he talks a bit about the making of the book and fundraising
    http://reggordonphoto.wordpress.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Robbo wrote: »
    Well isn't a picture worth a thousand words, so if we're to take wordcount as the true measurement of worth, you've got fantastic value for money.
    +1

A lot of other people also agree - I was asking about the book in 2 book shops in town. One has sold 600 copies before the weekend, while the other sold 180.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭einshteen

Quite miffed at the price, especially since I threw the fella 20 quid on FundIt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Have you seen that book?
    is nice, and has some great photos of around 100 " famous" Galway people, but is it only me thinking 45 euro for photo album is way too much?

sounds expensive, but its a photo album and a book of photos, especially colour is expensive. it depends on the publisher. its unlikely that it was brought out by a publishing giant with a run of a few million copies, but more likely to be self published with only few hundred copies. if this is the case it will go from sold out to rare book.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    sounds expensive, but its a photo album and a book of photos, especially colour is expensive. it depends on the publisher. its unlikely that it was brought out by a publishing giant with a run of a few million copies, but more likely to be self published with only few hundred copies. if this is the case it will go from sold out to rare book.

i am sure that is the main reason of the price, but not as little as few hundreds copies come on ;)

i am sure that is the main reason of the price, but not as little as few hundreds copies come on ;)

I have not yet seen the book and another poster claims that hundreds of copies have already been sold.
    you can fork out nearly two grand to a vanity publisher and only receive forty copies of your book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

sounds expensive, but its a photo album and a book of photos, especially colour is expensive. it depends on the publisher.

That's probably the problem, he probably went thru an Irish publisher who ripped him off and the rip-off ireland price just got passed on to us, as usual. He should have got it printed in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

on the cover of that book you will find the american guy who cooks "russian" dougnats on saturday market :P

Why do you think they are russian donuts??

jmauel wrote: »

I said "russian" not russian:P

and i said that becouse he has russian letters on his stall, and he looks russian by the way:) maybe he has russian grandgrad parents?

jmauel wrote: »

and i said that becouse he has russian letters on his stall, and he looks russian by the way:) maybe he has russian grandgrad parents?

'Boychik' is NY/Jewish term of endearment for favourite 'son' or 'young lad'. Plenty with Russian heritage in that community, plenty with none. Why not buy a doughnut and ask him ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

Well Boychik is a Yiddish term, and Dan is jewish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

and most of the portraits are of people who aren't from galway let alone irish.... but that's not the point. it's a portrait of galway not irishness.

i think it's a fantastic snapshot (pun intended) of the town that doesn't involve pictures of long walk or the cathederal

we got one for ourselves and we got copy for my wifes folks who are from oregon and visiting for christmas.

McTigs wrote: »
    and most of the portraits are of people who aren't from galway let alone irish.... but that's not the point. it's a portrait of galway not irishness.

i think it's a fantastic snapshot (pun intended) of the town that doesn't involve pictures of long walk or the cathederal

we got one for ourselves and we got copy for my wifes folks who are from oregon and visiting for christmas.

galway has always been a place of great come and go. a lot of the folks in the book probably will be elsewhere in five years.

McTigs wrote: »

galway has always been a place of great come and go. a lot of the folks in the book probably will be elsewhere in five years.

An awful lot of them (natives and non Galwegians) have already been here way longer than 5 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mollie Breathna

newkie wrote: »
    That's probably the problem, he probably went thru an Irish publisher who ripped him off and the rip-off ireland price just got passed on to us, as usual. He should have got it printed in China.

You've really got to love some boardsies - "probably", "as usual", "He should have" - completely idle and snarky speculation ("as usual").

If someone bothered to even look at the book in any of the shops - never mind actually asking the photographer/publisher himself - you'd know that money was raised through "FundIt" to cover costs for both the book's production and concurrent exhibition. The book was self-published and was printed in Galway by Castle Print in Liosbaun.
    A limited-run ( i.e. a few thousand at most), hardback, full colour book is going to be expensive to publish and print thus the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

I bought this book for a relative who has recently moved from Galway to the UK. I had a great few days going around Galway tracking down the people in the photos and getting them to sign their photos. I met so many people I would never have met and had some great chats. I think that this book is a very fair representation of the Galway of now, with all it's incomers, locals and transients that make up the character of this city at this moment in time.
    With regards to the price, as far as I know it was a very limited print - hence price per unit would be quite high. Also the photographer was adamant that he wanted to use local companies so this would have added to the costs also.

My relative loved the book by the way! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Won a copy of this in a raffle recently. Couldn't believe the price of it when I saw it in Eason's though. It's a nice book and something nice to put on the coffee table, but not something I would have bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

there was an exhibition of the photos on Dominick Street and they were selling the book - if you had thought to buy it there it would have been a fiver cheaper. Nice book - not strictly galwegians, but a nice "moment" of characters from or who reside in Galway. The book is called Tribes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Pfft, blow-ins...

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Won a copy of this in a raffle recently. Couldn't believe the price of it when I saw it in Eason's though. It's a nice book and something nice to put on the coffee table, but not something I would have bought.

You at the credit union AGM too lol

Advertisement