Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New photo album about Galway people, but so expensive 45 e!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eveya

pepe00 wrote: »
    Have you seen that book?
    is nice, and has some great photos of around 100 " famous" Galway people, but is it only me thinking 45 euro for photo album is way too much?

No way I'd pay 45 euro for a book like that, lovely idea but 25 - 30 euro is ample If the proceeds are going to charity then fair enough, otherwise it's a rip off.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 eveya

Fuinseog wrote: »
    galway has always been a place of great come and go. a lot of the folks in the book probably will be elsewhere in five years.

Good point, I can't imagine many Galwegians buying it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

I was going to buy it, but not at that price. He's priced himself out there, as aforementioned he should have gotten it printed abroad for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Proxy wrote: »
    I was going to buy it, but not at that price. He's priced himself out there, as aforementioned he should have gotten it printed abroad for cheaper.

Obvioulsy he hasn't if it's sold 'a lot' already. He has priced some people out but I guess he's researched the price. Maybe it's a strategic price- make it high and the book seems more special?

When I publish my Galway photo book I should get it printed abroad and sell it for €20? And there'll obvioulsy be a moan about taking business aborad....

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

dinneenp wrote: »
    Obvioulsy he hasn't if it's sold 'a lot' already. He has priced some people out but I guess he's researched the price. Maybe it's a strategic price- make it high and the book seems more special?

When I publish my Galway photo book I should get it printed abroad and sell it for €20? And there'll obvioulsy be a moan about taking business aborad....
    You can call the book: "The Price of Everything, The Value of Nothing".
    Also, only include properly verified Galwegians and it'll clearly be a roaring success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

From the photographer's blog:
    The next part is to raise funding so I can get the book out before Christmas without going too far into debt. Its going to cost me a lot of money. €15000 to be exact.

SOOOOO.

If you have enjoyed coming here reading about Galway, if you know someone in the project, if you want to show that community support is still alive please pledge some money. You will get something back in return, from a postcard to a print to a book.

You have to log in but it takes a second,

Yesterday over 600 people visited this blog

If each of them gave € 10 I would have raised enough..

http://www.fundit.ie/project/tribe-a-portrait-of-galway

I have sweated bullets over this, I spent my entire 40th working on this. I have neglected my family and my business for this.

For the record nothing like this has been tried before.

Cope Galway have offered to help sell it when it comes out. Dubray and Charlie Byrnes will be stocking it. Padraic Disconaut will be DJing at the launch. It will be great when it happens

A section of ther profits will go towards building a famine memorial to comemorate those who had to leave in worse times than these.

If you cant help plese retweet and share so hopefully we can find someone who can

Thanks to the supporters so far

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

I have neglected my family and my business for this.

Well bully for you, buddy. I do hope you get that monkey off your back someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

The negativity in here is disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I think it is a good book with some great photographs. The subjects are interesting and their genetic connection to the 12 tribes is neither here or there for me.

"I have sweated bullets over this, I spent my entire 40th working on this. I have neglected my family and my business for this.

For the record nothing like this has been tried before."

This to me is a bit disappointing though. I think this reads quite negatively as a statement. It was the artist's choice to do this project, not the public that funding is being requested of. Many artists in many artforms make sacrifices for their projects, that is not necessarily a reason to fund it. It is a good book, but IMO this could have been worded much better (not as a blog post per se, but as a request for funding).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

You at the credit union AGM too lol

I just wanted a hamper :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement