Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pop up problem

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

coper848 wrote: »
    I'm 6'2 and 15 stone, I was a competitive swimmer and am still fit and active. I've still got heavy shoulders and due to this I cant lie too far forward on my board or the nose will sink and I'll flip. So when I'm on the board about to pop up my feet are dangling off the end... This single motion pop up suddenly becomes so much harder because I have to pop up from my knees as if I'm on a shortboard. So to actually pop up i find myself bending my right leg, bringing my foot up to my left knee and almost walking up the board instead... Does anyone else have this problem?

I know all I need is more practice but I find it very frustrating when people tell me the same thing over and over again without understanding what my actual problem is...

I own a 7'6 board and once I'm up I'm grand, so I've no interest in getting something longer... Has anyone with more experience (possibly gone through the same problem) got any tips for me?

Thanks

Sounds like you're too far back on your board. You need to get further forward and if the nose is digging in, you need to arch your back to get your weight off the nose. Sorry to say, but this is about practice and experimenting til you get it right, nothing to do with the weight of your shoulders. A lot of good surfers are built like brick outhouses on top and ride boards 18" shorter than yours.

Get off your board and let it float in flat water and note how far out of the water the nose is. Usually less than an inch depending on the rocker. You need to replicate this when you are paddling. Experiment by moving forwards and backwards while paddling in flat water with your back arched and and watching the nose of your board. You don't want the nose pointing up in the air as this means you are pushing the board through the water. This becomes second nature like riding a bike after a while and you instinctively adjust your weight by arching your back more or less depending on what the board is doing.

Also try a bigger board for learning on. 7'6" is not a shortboard but its still pretty small for someone your size when learning to pop up. You'll get bad habits that are hard to break later on from it.

Advertisement