Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best adventure/exploration book?

Options
  • 23-12-2011 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

Ive read a few and would love to tackle some more. I was looking at "South" by Shackleton but ive heard that since its actually a report its quite a heavy read. I was also looking at "Man on the Moon" by Andrew Chaiken which has excellent reviews.

Does anyone have a favourite book roughly within the genre they could recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Jopari87

I read Tom Crean by Michael Smith a short while ago. Discusses the three expeditions to the Antarctic (2 led by Scott, 1 led by Shackleton) made by Crean in good detail, while still being an easy read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unsung-Hero-Crean-Antarctic-Survivor/dp/1905172869/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324680765&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I loved the story of Frank Glaser; a trapper and woodsman who spent decades in the woods near Denali in Alaska. From chasing wolves and fending off bears with dogs, to raising half-wolf-half huskie-sled dog teams, this man had some serious adventures. The book is punchy and easy to get through, perfect for a long bus ride or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Joe Simpson's 'Touching the Void'
    Thor Heyerdahl's 'The Kon-Tiki Expedition'

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭politicsdude

another vote for tom crean and thor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭pavb2

The Worst Journey In The World - Apsley Cherry Garrard

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Worst-Journey-World-Vintage-Classics/dp/0099530376/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Read quite a few polar expedition books including South & Tom Crean both excellent but my favourite is the above. Jaw dropping first hand account of the south pole expedition told from a different perspective largely overshadowed and forgotten due to the events of Scott's main party.

ACG was one of the explorers who found Scott's body and the hardship they endured is incredible.

Even more poignant as I don't think ACG ever fully recovered having a nervous breakdown in later life

“And I tell you, if you have the desire for knowledge and the power to give it physical expression, go out and explore.
    If you are a brave man you will do nothing: if you are fearful you may do much, for none but cowards have need to prove their bravery. Some will tell you that you are mad, and nearly all will say, “What is the use?” for we are a nation of shopkeepers, and no shopkeeper will look at research which does not promise him a financial return within a year.
    And so you will sledge nearly alone, but those with whom you sledge will not be shopkeepers: that is worth a good deal. If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin’s egg.” – Apsley Cherry Garrard

Brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

You might also enjoy Gary Paulsen's 'Winterdance', his hugely entertaining account of how he took part in the 1100-mile trans-Alaska Iditarod dog-sled race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Some interesting selections there, I'll have to check them out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Xenophan - Anabasis. Basically how to lead 10,000 troops out of a hostile country after one's command chain is eliminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭pavb2

Great call for Xenophon, the discovery of the ancient city of Ninevah and their trials & tribulations reads like a work of fiction

Watched The Warriors (80's film) over Xmas, loosely based on Xenophon

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭deem79

Unsung Hero, without a shadow of a doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭deem79

The Congo & Central America sections of Ryzsard Kapucynski's (apologies for spelling) 'The Soccer War' are outstanding

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Thread needs more replies!

Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer

A tragedy that just so happened to be witnessed first hand by an incredible writer.

Also two that I haven't read but come highly recommended are 'Arabian Sands' by Wilfred Thesiger & 'West With the Night' by Beryl Markham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

"The Lost Men: The Harrowing Saga of Shackleton's Ross Sea Party"

I'm not sure if that was the book I read of the story but its a amazing story of endurance.

Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer (though it lost some of its attraction after I read more about the story) But its a good book

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Into_Thin_Air

Alternative view pont The Climb – a book by Anatoli Boukreev

Joe Simpson's 'Touching the Void' and 'The Beckoning Silence'

Haven't read it but its meant to be good
    The White Spider: The story of the North Face of the Eiger by Heinrich Harrer

I also read a good biography on Dougal Haston the climber, I think it was this one The Dougal Haston: The Philosophy of Risk. Dougal Haston story is an interesting one. Reading about will tell you about the climbing of the period.

Learning to Breathe - Andy Cave

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

Travels with a Tangerine by Tim Mackintosh-Smith is a good read. Tim follows in the footsteps of a muslim scholar from Morrocco called Ibn Battutah across the Arab world.

Interesting to see the differences between the 14th century muslim world and today(well late 20th century).

There are 3 books in the series but i have only read the first 2 the second deals with further travel through India.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

+1 for touching the void, brilliant book

Advertisement