Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

500 Euro Note

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Taking the piss

Get over yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

WindSock wrote: »
    Taking the piss

Get over yourself.

Fail.

Yeah you did

Won't hold it against you though...merry Christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Probably didn't have enough change to give, or it was only printed on one side, or maybe it's the fact that THEY DON'T EVEN PRINT €500 NOTES!!!
    Taking the piss

Get over yourself.

Dident look that way :)

realies wrote: »
    Dident look that way :)

Over use of caps and excessive exclamations on a remark generally does.

YOu seriously think someone doesn't know about a 500 euro note and proceed to have a condescending Wiki link thrown with a snooty 'educate yourself' added for good measure. No, it is not I who have failed.

YOu seriously think someone doesn't know about a 500 euro note and proceed to have a condescending Wiki link thrown with a snooty 'educate yourself' added for good measure. No, it is not I who have failed.

Well not going by just that Poster but it seems to me a lot of people never heard of a 500 euro note and with no smileys in your OP i thought you where serious to, my bad :)

? Don't think a 500 note is not uncommon knowledge. Even so, no need to be a condescending prick about knowing something so ****ing trivial.
    Ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have always thought the EU made a massive error in not adopting Australia's note printing technology for printing the €.

Very hard to counterfeit and with so many easy to verify security features that most people can fell confident in spotting a fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

bluewolf wrote: »
    they don't have to accept it

and they usually dont give them out to the general public

why would you be carrying that much cash around xmas

That much cash 500 nicker aint much in the grand sceme of things,
    Buy a cool pair of kicks 70 to 100
    buy a hoodies with a label to match easily 60 to 70 quid,
    buy a belt a couple of a pairs of jeans aint much cash left....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Wow does anyone moderate the mods. Real mature calling a poster a condescending prick. Thought you had a purpose.

• Advertisement

marvins wrote: »
    Wow does anyone moderate the mods. Real mature calling a poster a condescending prick. Thought you had a purpose.

Yep this thread is a non modded mod thread :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

marvsins wrote: »

Yeah like

Who watches the watchers.

That was directed at no one in particular, it was meant it the general sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

That was directed at no one in particular, it was meant it the general sense.

An apology for the misunderstanding would suffice. You're looking quite immature at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

We all do, there's a button on every post to report it if you don't like it.

Del2005 wrote: »
    We all do, there's a button on every post to report it if you don't like it.

And when posted doesn't get a response :rolleyes::rolleyes:

An apology for the misunderstanding would suffice.

I got one from realies already over the misunderstanding and thanked his post.
    You're looking quite immature at the moment.

how exactly? :confused:

I simply pointed out there was no need to be a condescending prick over something so trivial. (at no one in particular)

Snowie wrote: »
    That much cash 500 nicker aint much in the grand sceme of things,
    Buy a cool pair of kicks 70 to 100
    buy a hoodies with a label to match easily 60 to 70 quid,
    buy a belt a couple of a pairs of jeans aint much cash left....

right, but it's a lot if it gets robbed; i was thinking more about getting your wallet snatched than how much you want to buy for xmas

I got one from realies already over the misunderstanding and thanked his post.

how exactly? :confused:

I simply pointed out there was no need to be a condescending prick over something so trivial. (at no one in particular)

:) Sure its nice to be nice :)

• Advertisement

I would love to have a 100 of these mythical notes.

I still am not convinced of there existence, only sqillionaires would have one of them.

:) Sure its nice to be nice :)

It sure is :)

Of course when someone is not nice about something, and presents themselves as arrogant and condescending over a completely harmless joke, it is only natural for others to get defensive.

It sure is :)

Of course when someone is not nice about something, and presents themselves as arrogant and condescending over a completely harmless joke, it is only natural for others to get defensive.

Yeah

Defensive like that post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Kranium

I don't know of anyone who isn't dodgy who casually carries around 500e Notes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Kranium wrote: »
    I don't know of anyone who isn't dodgy who casually carries around 500e Notes
    Who said they casually carry around 500 euro notes, or is that just an observation unrelated to anything in this thread?

Lots of people carry around €500 in Christmas week or during January sales.

It seems to be only socially acceptable if carrying it around in 10 x €50, though.

later10 wrote: »

It seems to be only socially acceptable if carrying it around in 10 x €50, though.

I'd be less skeptical of someone carrying around 10 x 50.

I've gotten out 500 out of the bank and they only gave me 50's every time no 100's let alone 500's . So Yes I'd be weary

• Advertisement

44leto wrote: »
    Yeah

Defensive like that post.

Yup, defensive.
    As in a silly joke being taken seriously having a wiki link and an 'educate yourself' posted in response, reiterating to the person it was a joke, being told that it was 'fail' rather than an acknowledgement for the misunderstanding and it was actually a failure on their behalf...makes a person a little defensive. And as a consequence, makes others defensive for some reason over the initial person defending themselves over a reaction to something that was not necessary in the first place.

Ya dig?

Anyway, back to the topic...I have happened to have large denominations of notes on me before but felt a bit wary as losing a large note instead of a couple of smaller ones can be a pain in the tits.

Kranium wrote: »
    I'd be less skeptical of someone carrying around 10 x 50.

I've gotten out 500 out of the bank and they only gave me 50's every time no 100's let alone 500's . So Yes I'd be weary

Of course if you where only taking out 500 euro from the bank they would give it to you in 50,s or smaller. If you where taking out 2/3 thousand and the bank gave you 2 500 notes would that make you a dodgy person ? Dont think so.

Just thinking, if the Euro keeps going the way it is going, you might be able to buy a pack of fags with one of them.

Anyway, back to the topic...I have happened to have large denominations of notes on me before but felt a bit wary as losing a large note instead of a couple of smaller ones can be a pain in the tits.

It all depends in what your purchasing, If your going to the local pub or shop its a bit unrealistic to expect them to have change and even not be a bit weary, especially if your not a local or regular customer,having said that going to a large shopping centre to purchase 2 gift vouchers of 200 euro for same shopping centre and being told they are not excepted was a bit strange,for me anyway.Wonder would dundrum shopping centre have a different policy ?

Ps while queuing up to get the gift vouchers the security man was asking everyone was it cash or CC as CC was at that time not being excepted:)So it was cash only but not 500,s.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Whatever about a €500 note, in the UK you get strange looks if you produce a £50 one. Apparently they're not very common at all.

• Advertisement

Of course if you where only taking out 500 euro from the bank they would give it to you in 50,s or smaller. If you where taking out 2/3 thousand and the bank gave you 2 500 notes would that make you a dodgy person ? Dont think so.

No but I have taken out 2500 and gotten it all in 50's so yes i would be skeptical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Five hundred feckin euro?

All I have left is €125 to last me until January 5th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

While on the topic of rare denominations of currency...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

When in hole, stop digging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

This thread just shows that money is the root of all evil. Now everybody get a drink and calm down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭superstoner90

snorts-coke-with-500-euro-notes.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

sea_monkey wrote: »
    why are they so quick to accept 50 euro notes if they dont accept anything over 50 euro?

then the 50s cant be used for change and will just sit there.

50's are used to make change when smaller notes and coins run out. They are also given in cashback. Also, nearly every place won't allow a till to build up thousands- cash drops will be taken several times a day. No shop wants a till that's a huge theft risk, and which will be a nightmare for the cash office to count.

50's actually are also a major pain. Mainly because they're so common and because floats can't handle them. Unless you get an unusual run of people with 20's, you're going to need change for them plenty of times.

The problem with notes over €50 is not just their high value, but their dodgy associations coupled with the fact that you can't fall back on staff knowing there's something wrong about the note (plenty of fake notes can pass the pen test) beause they will be unfamiliar with them. Its rarity is the curse really. Big department stores and supermarkets will take them. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to refuse €200's and €500's when you consider that in the UK and US respectively, £50 notes and $100 notes are refused in lots of places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

I worked in a petrol station and used to see a fair few €500's and €200's. A lot of time from European coach companies whose drivers used to have them as backups in case their off-brand international fuel card wasn't accepted. We never had any bother changing them as long as the sale was over half the value of the note. Had a couple of guys come in and buy maybe €30 of fuel and make a big show paying with a €500 note though, eejits. Asked one lad did he have anything smaller and he said 'No, I have a few more of THESE €500 NOTES though..." just loud enough for everyone to hear. Tool.

Don't get the fuss about ID'ing the note properly though. Anyone relying on the pen test for any kind of note is an eejit IMO. The €500 has all the other features a normal note has: the textured paper, the hologram, those shiny flecks that show up under UV (best way to check IMO) , the watermark and that strip thing running through them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Dotrel wrote: »
    Carrying around €500 notes is so vulgar! (but I find I can't close my wallet if I use smaller denominations)

I find the opposite actually, a ball of 50s means the wallet won't close so I find the monkey notes much handier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

While on the topic of rare denominations of currency...

heh, I got a $2 bill in my change in circle-K one of the first times I was in the 'States; I pulled the cashier on it and she laughed about it, saying they were fairly common. Just seemed a weird denomination for a note and I was wary of all the bills, since dollars look like monopoly money compared to punt (at the time)

As for people with €500's being dodgy? :rolleyes: Farmers, builders and anyone else handling large amounts of cash in the boom times handed them out, after cashing large drafts...I'd always preferred to see notes like that instead of cheques that mightn't be worth the ink they were written with...
    There was always that fear of losing it and you didn;t carry it around for the craic, it was either saved, lodged or spent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

the big notes always turn up just after you've dropped all excess cash in the drop safe, the robbery always happens just before.

You think you've kept enough 20s and then everyone for the next half hour pays with 50s... and I remember one night telling a guy "look I can't change that unless you're willing to take a bag of 2 euro coins"
    show him the contents of the till... A few fives and a ten and a load of 50s most of which I then drop in the drop safe
    "You still have some fivers and a tenner..."
    If I give you those I'll still have to give you about 28 quid in 2 euro coins plus I'll have no change at all then for people who aren't trying to pay with a 50 for a 2 euro transaction. Take it or leave it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Had a couple of guys come in and buy maybe €30 of fuel and make a big show paying with a €500 note though, eejits. Asked one lad did he have anything smaller and he said 'No, I have a few more of THESE €500 NOTES though..." just loud enough for everyone to hear. Tool.

There are very few people in this world obnoxious and/or stupid enough to actually deserve to become a victim of the normally despicable crime of mugging but you appear to have been unfortunate enough to have encountered one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

In liffey Vally shopping centre today and not one shop would accept my 500 euro note ? Its still legal tender and despite trying to purchase articles valued over 200 euro my money was not accepted.Have to bring it to my bank very annoying indeed.Why wont they accept them from the public if they give them out to the public ?

I remember having a €200 refused as well, I was really pissed off. There's ways of checking but the feeble cowards didn't want to take the risk. Bit of a joke at this day and age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭finbarrk

They are not as common in circulation as they were though. People are hoarding them definatley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Jay D wrote: »
    There's ways of checking but the feeble cowards didn't want to take the risk.
    Cowards?
    Is the way of checking dangerous or something?
    I'm sure the store's management just had a policy of no 200's in case some staff are too busy/lazy to check the note carefully.

Advertisement