Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PlanetSide 2 - Beta access

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

I wonder when the actual beta will start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭KilOit

Really looking forward to this, first one was class and well ahead of it's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

what is it? it looks like a fps

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

KilOit wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this, first one was class and well ahead of it's time.

Looking forward to this too. Planetside was my introduction to MMO gaming.

Death to all barneys & smurfs; TR 'til I die ;-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

CyberJuice wrote: »
    what is it? it looks like a fps
    Open world MMO FPS (i.e. no 64 player limit) with tanks, infantry and airplanes all fighting it out. Original PS had up to 125 players per side (3 sides so total of 375 players on any given map after they fixed the cap per side) on huge maps with bases, towers etc. to capture for benefits to your side.

Honestly PS2 is for me he big MMO I'm looking forward to in 2012, then again I got fond memories still of PS (and usually subscribe to play every couple of months but now even the most active areas are dead :( ).

In fact, simply look at this video and if it don't make you want to go play it then PS2 is not for you :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

doi you quest,level up,upgrade armour and waepons,do u have talent tress,is there a plot,is there pve raids, or is it just like a big game of mw2 or the likes of this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

doi you quest,level up,upgrade armour and waepons,do u have talent tress,is there a plot,is there pve raids, or is it just like a big game of mw2 or the likes of this
    Assuming PS2 stays the same as PS you level up to unlock the ability to use more equipment (i.e. Shotgun is 3 points, but if you got 10 points you can also equip the heayv armor and drive a car). There are no quests, no upgrades to weapon or armor etc. as all use the same so yea, more MW2 then WoW.

Please do not attempt to use multi-player games as a yardstick. MW2 it is not. BF3 it is not. This is an MMO fps with elements of RPG (in that you evolve your character skills), if we assume it builds on the original Planetside. It is on a scale far, far, far beyond any multi-player FPS game.

As for PVE? No room for carebears in this game. It is total PVP. Every 'enemy' that you encounter is another player. WOW it is not (thank f*cking christ above ... ). As Nody said, there are no quests, or armour/weapon upgrades other than unlocking or looting off the dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

I miss my Vanu fish-head and mozzy :(

Really hope I get beta access.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Lemming wrote: »
    As for PVE? No room for carebears in this game. It is total PVP. Every 'enemy' that you encounter is another player. WOW it is not (thank f*cking christ above ... ). As Nody said, there are no quests, or armour/weapon upgrades other than unlocking or looting off the dead.
    Aye, there'd be no way to carebear thankfully, pvp was the only way to level :cool:

I miss looting VS corpses for some Lashers and energy cells for my NC toon, or loading up a sniper profile, grabbing a mozzie and going to a nice secluded hilltop for some fun :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭KilOit

Loved the way you could stockpile faction weapons in your locker, i had a tonne of of NC guns for my TR toon, looked cool in light TR armor with br20 and cr5 ranks blasting away with the jackhammer. Damn i miss this game.

Used to loot Smurfs for their basic assault rifle which packed more wallop than that supplied to the TR. The locker feature was a nice touch.

Ah, for the days of piloting a Galaxy so low to the ground I was killing enemy infantry by running over them, or ramming mozzies into the walls of bases to destroy them ;)

Good memories still of whispering whatever opposite faction player was spamming their flail, and giving them instructions that inevitably led to them TK'ing loads of their own side lol. That and of course full outfit platoons working together to eventually zero base both TR and NC, great times :)

They should make the original F2P in order to stir up interest in PS2.
    I suppose though it'd be even harder then for them to dedicate any resources to combat cheaters.

I played on and off for a while when they upped the BR limit, think I got to br25 or so before I stopped playing.
    I'd probably still play PS if it were a cheaper monthly fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I love Planetside and will undoubtedly love Planetside 2, but can we not be another one of those communities that must despise other communities. Elitism and snobbery are better left to the consoles 'tards. ;)

To answer the earlier questions, it is pretty similar to Modern Warfare or Battlefield Etc. Just with support for 100's of players a side with three factions and a persistent game world more akin to EVE. Elements of RPG are purely coincidental, it's mostly just about the slaughtering of your enemies.

Planetside 1 will forever go down in my top 5 all time greatest experiences in MMOs. Having just purchased the game, flying alongside a column of friendly tanks and infantry moving to secure the next objective, we approached a bridge. Myself and several other reavers/mosquitos flew to the other side to check for mines etc. only to run headlong into the opposing TR battleline. What resulted was an epic hour long battle for control of a bridge. With dive bombing, shelling from the other side of the bridge and covert ops raids. Until eventually the Vanu rolled up in the middle of it, floated their turd tanks along the river and raped both sides, resulting in a concentrated effort to wipe them off the continent so we could resume our gentleman's war.

All this involving 100's of people. World of Tanks ain't got nothing on Planetside. Here's hoping Planetside 2 will be similar, if not better. But yeah, less dickish and more talking about how awesome the game was/will be. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

From the trailer it looks like they've taken the BF/MW approach to aiming in that you have to right click first, which sucks! that should only be used to accomodate console players imo

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From the trailer it looks like they've taken the BF/MW approach to aiming in that you have to right click first, which sucks! that should only be used to accomodate console players imo
    Do you mean shooting people from the hip at 00:33 or iron sights like in 0:44 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

the_syco wrote: »
    Do you mean shooting people from the hip at 00:33 or iron sights like in 0:44 ?

Yea hip shooting at 0:33
    Right click to aim accutately at 0:44

I've never played the original PS but I presume it wasnt like this, I much prefer the system in pretty much all other FPS's (CS/QUAKE ETC ETC) where you already have a cross hair on your screen, it promotes decent aim where as this right click business just encourages camping

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

oxo_ wrote: »
    They should make the original F2P in order to stir up interest in PS2.
    I suppose though it'd be even harder then for them to dedicate any resources to combat cheaters.

As far as I remember, there is a F2P element to PS1 but you cant progress past cr5 or such. Not 100%.

Only ever got into 1 "massive" fight in PS1, but computer and dial-up couldnt hack it and became a slide show. Mainly spent my time cruising round continents at midnight, usually with only 2 or 3 others on all sides, playing cat & mouse as you try to hold a fort on your own for 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Yea hip shooting at 0:33
    Right click to aim accutately at 0:44

I've never played the original PS but I presume it wasnt like this, I much prefer the system in pretty much all other FPS's (CS/QUAKE ETC ETC) where you already have a cross hair on your screen, it promotes decent aim where as this right click business just encourages camping

Aiming and PS don't really go together mainly because there really was none, it was all dice role.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    As far as I remember, there is a F2P element to PS1 but you cant progress past cr5 or such. Not 100%.
    Normal rank 8, command rank 1 or 2 if I remember correctly. Came in a good few years ago.

Also Steve_o there was aiming, you had your reticule which would bloom as you fired for longer time etc. There were no hit boxes until BFRs though (i.e. hitting any part of body or tank would have the same effect) and I think everyone agree BFRs was a huge mistake (hit boxes or not)...

• Advertisement

Thought the aiming in PS was very skillful myself, never had an issue with it. Hardest to aim with was probably the Lancer AV gun, but also very poweful if aimed right.

Huge amounts of people left after BFRs, most VS outfits fell apart soon after the BFRs hit anyway.

I'll have to have a look see if you can play PS for free still, wouldn't mind a few games :)

oxo_ wrote: »
    Thought the aiming in PS was very skillful myself, never had an issue with it. Hardest to aim with was probably the Lancer AV gun, but also very poweful if aimed right.

Huge amounts of people left after BFRs, most VS outfits fell apart soon after the BFRs hit anyway.

I'll have to have a look see if you can play PS for free still, wouldn't mind a few games :)
    Lancer was easy, it was accurate as a damn sniper rifle and saw use as such often as well (nerf VS!)!

Personally I'd say old Burster required skill (leading by up to 5s and require lock down), Thunderer (if shooting at moving targets, saying that I took down some reavers with it) and of course the TR main tank gun (alternating guns firing in an arc FTL).

Oh and PS today is a sorry shell of itself; in prime time on the servers you're not even getting 33 people on any side :( (i.e. all maps shows 100+ slots available) and struggle to find ANYONE to shot.

"Our biggest change is the complete modernisation of the FPS mechanics,” says Higby. Firing a gun in PlanetSide 1 felt as lethal as coughing gently on your target. The technology of the era forced each of your bullets to be subject to a hidden dice-roll mechanic: on your end, it could look like you’d pinged every shot into a foe’s eyeball, but if the game’s fickle rules said you missed, you missed. That process has been stripped out."

Quote from Matt Hibby PS2 Creative Director.

Last time I played was probably 6 months or more ago, or whenever it was that they merged servers to just the US one (so probably longer than 6 months ago). Werner VS oufits even came back for a while then, briefly.
    There were loads of Russians and Chinese playing then too, even managed a few poplocked continents at times. Guess it just whimpered away since :(
    I thought there was a whole thing SoE were doing in Asia with PS in Internet cafes, maybe they did but that ended too.
    God I'd feckin love a game of it now ! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Wossack

pretty sure I played this within the last year or so, as f2p in some form

unfortunately it had passed me by up till then - wish I had played at its peak! Same thing happened me with tribes :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That air combat looks brilliant, especially the lighting as the missiles are fired (@ 0:55 and 1:55). Really nice looking engine in all.

Kiith wrote: »
    That air combat looks brilliant, especially the lighting as the missiles are fired (@ 0:55 and 1:55). Really nice looking engine in all.

It really "looks" amazing, the aesthetics look top notch and really add to the atmosphere, can imagine how terrifying that will all be when try to hold down a fort as dive bombers start peppering the walls with bombs and your own fighters at near death being chased by two fighters blasting fire and brimstone from their machine guns.

Please please don't run like a whore :(

Anyway my fingers are crossed I have a odd luck of getting into closed beta's somehow (much to the annoyance of my ts crew) so im hoping I see a invite in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

anyone know when their sending the beta invites out?

• Advertisement
Advertisement